Thinking Of Buying In Chiang Mai

Colonel_Mustard

Presently living in Phuket but looking to move North within the next 2/3 years and to that end just bought some land at Santiburi golf course in Chiang Rai. However, at the present time I still have children of school age and CR is very limited with regard to international schools, so my plan is to live in CM from Mon - Fri, while the kids are at school, and then head up to CR for weekends and school holidays etc.

I'm going to be coming up to CM next month to have a look around at land and Condos but would welcome any advice on where might be likely places to look.

I was thinking of possibly buying land in the Doi Saket area as it's on the way to CR and (seemingly) not too far from CM city. Another option would be Mae Rim due to its proximity to Prem int. school, or possibly even Sankampaeng. Any thoughts on pluses and minuses of living in those areas? Any other suggestions? Basically, I wouold like to be within 30 mins of international schools, golf courses and CM city itself.

An alternative would be buying a condo in the city. This would presumably be better from a security perspective (as we won't be there all the time) but I have 3 kids and there don't seem to be many options for condos that would accommodate a family of that size. Does anyone know of any planned condo developments in CM that may be suitable?

Thanks.

I'm going to be coming up to CM next month to have a look around at land and Condos but would welcome any advice on where might be likely places to look.

Your question has been asked many times before. This might explain the lack of interest in your post. Pls, look here.

An alternative would be buying a condo in the city. This would presumably be better from a security perspective (as we won't be there all the time) but I have 3 kids and there don't seem to be many options for condos that would accommodate a family of that size. Does anyone know of any planned condo developments in CM that may be suitable?

Chiang Mai is quite safe, if your main interest isn't riding wasted on your bike after midnight from one brothel to another. My very personal opinion: if you have 3 kids, a house is always a better choice, also they are cheaper.

Look here for Condo Projects on Canal Road and make a Google search for the terms +chiangmai +condo

Thanks.

You are welcome.

Thanks for your repy. I did look around prior to posting and came accross a few old topics (such as the one you linked to) but none that really discussed the relative merits of each area.

Perhaps I worded it badly in my original post but what I was really after was the pluses and minuses of Doi Saket/Mae Rim/Sankampaeng etc.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

Some quick pluses for Sankampaeng and Saket

They are out the hustle and bustle of town. They have better air quality, land is much cheaper

Downfalls are a short ride to town, most roads into town are 1 lane and rush hour becomes a pain

The further away from town the more people drive like idiots as well....

Thanks for your repy. I did look around prior to posting and came accross a few old topics (such as the one you linked to) but none that really discussed the relative merits of each area.

Perhaps I worded it badly in my original post but what I was really after was the pluses and minuses of Doi Saket/Mae Rim/Sankampaeng etc.

Thanks anyway.

...all a bit far away for my taste. But why don't you rent something for a year or so and take your time find out for yourself what suits you best?

Thanks anyway.

...all a bit far away for my taste. But why don't you rent something for a year or so and take your time find out for yourself what suits you best?

Good idea, or spend the time and check things out. Chiang Mai is quite big with lots of different areas good for different reasons and tastes. In all likelihood our taste will differ from yours.