Nice Landlady

bassmaster50

Many times there are postings about farangs being ripped off by Thais and I know this happens and has happened to me also. So I thought I would be fair and show the other side of this situation. I rent a house and the other day signed one year lease extension. The next day the landlady, an older Thai woman, came to my house and told me since I was a good tenant she was lowering the rent by a thousand baht a month. I did not ask for this reduction in rent and as I had signed the lease the day before, she did not have to do this to convince me to stay. I believe she did this to be nice because she knows I have family in US with medical problems that are very expensive. Anyway I only wanted to add that there are people here who will rip you off, but there are also very nice and kind hearted people,just like anywhere.

Many times there are postings about farangs being ripped off by Thais and I know this happens and has happened to me also. So I thought I would be fair and show the other side of this situation. I rent a house and the other day signed one year lease extension. The next day the landlady, an older Thai woman, came to my house and told me since I was a good tenant she was lowering the rent by a thousand baht a month. I did not ask for this reduction in rent and as I had signed the lease the day before, she did not have to do this to convince me to stay. I believe she did this to be nice because she knows I have family in US with medical problems that are very expensive. Anyway I only wanted to add that there are people here who will rip you off, but there are also very nice and kind hearted people,just like anywhere.

Always good to hear from people who have not been ripped off; insulted; received awful service; cheated; beaten up; etc. ie. the vast silent minority...

Shame they don't make for interesting reading / threads, though. :o

Nice topic. I, too, have had great experiences here, for over five years, renting a condo and bungalows. Two landlords, both of whom were fair and kind. This is the third unit I have rented from my current landlady, and we understand each other.

something like this.."ya you good tenent be sure to pay my money on time or i throw you out". I have the same understanding with my landlord as well. :o

Yes, there are some good people about.

When I paid my Landlady 3 months in advance and assured her I wanted to rent for a long time she reduced the rent from 3,500 a mth to 3,000.

I see her every 3 months when she comes for the rent. She does not even inspect the house, comes, gets the rent and leaves. Last time she was 1 month late in collecting the rent, so gives the impression she is not too desperate for the money.

Probably deducting from your "deposit"

When I paid my Landlady 3 months in advance and assured her I wanted to rent for a long time she reduced the rent from 3,500 a mth to 3,000.

I see her every 3 months when she comes for the rent. She does not even inspect the house, comes, gets the rent and leaves. Last time she was 1 month late in collecting the rent, so gives the impression she is not too desperate for the money.

Gee ya think? At 3k a month Im sure its just chump change to her.... why not try moving up in the world buddy? hehe

know one story: One farang rents a room at a restaurant. Later he married one of the service girls.

One time the owner told him, he does not need to pay any rent anymore as he is considered as friend and anyhow he drinks beer in the restaurant leaving some money there....

I wanted the roof extended at the front of my house and the landlord agreed to pay the first 25,000 baht. The metal roof I decided on cost 37,700 baht. After it was all done, the landlord said he liked it and would pay for it all - so he gave me 12,700 baht to compensate for what I'd given the builder. Nice old bloke, my landlord. Rich as Croesus, but still nice. :D

Edit:

On the other hand, an old "Hi-so" landlady charged me 500 baht for some lamps at the front of the porch that had melted because I fitted the wrong wattage bulbs, 500 baht for re-connecting the ceiling lamps that were disconnected by the handy-man when I first moved in (so they would point in one direction, rather than blowing over the whole room) and another 500 baht for something else that I can't remember. She also gave me nothing for the fence and gate the I had installed. I should've known she was no good - she had tattooed eye-brows. :o

Edited by JetsetBkk

I didn't know you could rent and live in closets in Thailand...or even that closets had landlords!!! :o

Surely he meant 3k a week ? right....?

There are plenty of places in Bangkok and other provinces for 3500/month and less. It's not the most luxurious place but it's decent and livable. What's wrong with that? Who says you have to pay a lot of money to stay at a decent place?

Good thread op. It's rare to hear something nice about Thai people on this forum.

I should've known she was no good - she had tattooed eye-brows. :o

I come here to learn a thing or two. NOW YOU TELL ME !

My wife has tattooed eyebrows and she's no good either.

Maybe the ink goes into their brain

I didn't know you could rent and live in closets in Thailand...or even that closets had landlords!!! :D

Surely he meant 3k a week ? right....?

There are plenty of places in Bangkok and other provinces for 3500/month and less. It's not the most luxurious place but it's decent and livable. What's wrong with that? Who says you have to pay a lot of money to stay at a decent place?

Good thread op. It's rare to hear something nice about Thai people on this forum.

I agree, sometimes I wonder if some of the expat snobs in Bangers actually travel outside the BTS / Subway system in Bangkok, there are some great apartments and townhouses in the big city.

I've got a few 3 - 5,000 baht places lined up.

Hopefully with decent landlords, but you never know :o

Expat Snob - that's a bit too the point isn't it.

But seeing I am looking around for a new apartment and had a budget of 30k in mind, I would really appreciate for those who are not snobs to post a few 3k ones on here so I can lower my living standards while increasing my beer budget.

Thanks.

I'm at the top of the list when it comes to looking for and wanting a very good price/value for my housing... After all, it's the one expense that's likely to be the largest single item in your monthly budget... (except for those inclined to pay hefty sums to/for ladies :o ).

Having said that, it all depends on where you want to live in BKK and what you want to live in..

Indeed, all around town, there are countless "Thai" apartments to be had for 3,000 baht and up, and you don't have to locate far from centre city or even BTS or MRT. That's pretty much the normal for any number of regular Thai working singles. But in my experience, "apartment" in that case typically means a single small room with little or bare furnishing, and maybe a small bathroom inside or even outside on the balcony. That's it.

On the other hand, if "apartment" means something more in western style, a home with a couple of different rooms (maybe one bedroom, one living area and a kitchen or cooking area), furnished with a refrigerator and washing machine for clothes, and other amenities, and you want a location convenient to mass transit, then 15K and up (virtually unlimited on the high end) is more likely going to be the range.

Some people just want a place to crash at night. Some people want a home that's a home. As if often the case, you get what you pay for. But certainly in BKK, there's a very wide range of choices to accommodate all the different living styles.

Gee ya think? At 3k a month Im sure its just chump change to her.... why not try moving up in the world buddy? hehe

3 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 rear yard, car parking at the front and an upstairs balcony off the main bedroom. I pay standard rates for water and electricity. Avge elect bill per mth is 700 baht and water under 50 baht for 2 of us (the g/f and I) living here.

Why would I want to 'move up' in the world? (your sarcasm / humour noted btw :D )

As others have said - snobbery rules in many areas. Why pay or have a budget of 30k for a place to live?!! Ahh, seafront snobbery in Pattaya or elsewhere, maybe. (Nothing against Pattaya, I go there often but do hear many talk they are paying xx,000 for their condo. For that I can have my place and travel to Pattaya and other places and still have change in my pocket to treat the g/f :D )

I have no real problems with neighbours, live in a quiet soi and rarely hear dogs barking or loud music. Add to the fact the house is central to my needs, what more could I ask for?

Today is lottery day, I could ask to win that :o

3 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 rear yard, car parking at the front and an upstairs balcony off the main bedroom. I pay standard rates for water and electricity. Avge elect bill per mth is 700 baht and water under 50 baht for 2 of us (the g/f and I) living here.

Why would I want to 'move up' in the world? (your sarcasm / humour noted btw :D )

As others have said - snobbery rules in many areas. Why pay or have a budget of 30k for a place to live?!! Ahh, seafront snobbery in Pattaya or elsewhere, maybe. (Nothing against Pattaya, I go there often but do hear many talk they are paying xx,000 for their condo. For that I can have my place and travel to Pattaya and other places and still have change in my pocket to treat the g/f :D )

I have no real problems with neighbours, live in a quiet soi and rarely hear dogs barking or loud music. Add to the fact the house is central to my needs, what more could I ask for?

Today is lottery day, I could ask to win that :D

:o