Fullmoon Party Mugging!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...... Happens all the time, regardless of whether or not its Koh Phangan, Koh Samui or Timbuktu. And yes, this is the Samui forum but that still doesn't make it newsworthy.

No it doesn't - are you for real?

It is BAD news, really, bad news and that the coppers either the "Tourist" or the Local Cops couldn't even be bothered, we do have a very disgruntled bunch of students who going to leave this country with a really bad aftertaste, they have mates, they will tell, Universities ... blogs, it will make it's way around and another bad image is added to the Thailand - Party Scene!

It is about prevention, not "Thai-Style sweep it under the carpet pray it may never happen to you and forget"...

Um, yes it does, Samuian. I live here, remember?

And if you think the Koh Phangan police are going to give a crap about anything that gets posted on this board, then you need to get real. The reality of the matter is that the local police are not influenced by ANYTHING other than what goes in their pockets. And the vice will go on unrestricted, regardless of whether or not some guy gets mugged on the beach.

People have been getting beaten up, stabbed, mugged and raped at the FMP for years. And still they come, by the thousands. What will kill this party is when it is no longer the fashionable thing to come, not when some random drunk guy without enough sense to leave his stuff at home gets beaten up and robbed.

****and just to belabor the point, not every Thai person is local. In fact, most of the Thai people on this island are no longer local. Local means to come from the island, not just happen to come from the same country***

...... Happens all the time, regardless of whether or not its Koh Phangan, Koh Samui or Timbuktu. And yes, this is the Samui forum but that still doesn't make it newsworthy.

No it doesn't - are you for real?

It is BAD news, really, bad news and that the coppers either the "Tourist" or the Local Cops couldn't even be bothered, we do have a very disgruntled bunch of students who going to leave this country with a really bad aftertaste, they have mates, they will tell, Universities ... blogs, it will make it's way around and another bad image is added to the Thailand - Party Scene!

It is about prevention, not "Thai-Style sweep it under the carpet pray it may never happen to you and forget"...

And if you think the Koh Phangan police are going to give a crap about anything that gets posted on this board, then you need to get real. The reality of the matter is that the local police are not influenced by ANYTHING other than what goes in their pockets. And the vice will go on unrestricted, regardless of whether or not some guy gets mugged on the beach.

People have been getting beaten up, stabbed, mugged and raped at the FMP for years. And still they come, by the thousands. What will kill this party is when it is no longer the fashionable thing to come, not when some random drunk guy without enough sense to leave his stuff at home gets beaten up and robbed.

****and just to belabor the point, not every Thai person is local. In fact, most of the Thai people on this island are no longer local. Local means to come from the island, not just happen to come from the same country***

Well, I don't know if it does matter that YOU live there, regarding this case, sure not.

Your assumption and the instant excuse there in that all the victims are "drunken guys without enough sense to leave their belongings home" is some sort of victimization which leaves me absolutely speechless!

Hope that this may never happen to yourself!

And does it matter Local, Thai or Inuit, does it really matter, what is the difference? It's only talks, its about another victim...!

Why then going green, it's all pretty much degraded already...I know I can't do much about it myself, but as someone else before here wrote, its about awareness, warnings, safety of travelers, many are grateful for any hint, advice, after all CARE I do, for others too!

Well, I don't know if it does matter that YOU live there, regarding this case, sure not.

Your assumption and the instant excuse there in that all the victims are "drunken guys without enough sense to leave their belongings home" is some sort of victimization which leaves me absolutely speechless!

Hope that this may never happen to yourself!

And does it matter Local, Thai or Inuit, does it really matter, what is the difference? It's only talks, its about another victim...!

Why then going green, it's all pretty much degraded already...I know I can't do much about it myself, but as someone else before here wrote, its about awareness, warnings, safety of travelers, many are grateful for any hint, advice, after all CARE I do, for others too!

I'm also amazed at the "blame the victim" angle. About 18 months ago some English girl was raped on Samui. Was that her fault as well?

Some people here - who should certainly know better - would prefer to bury this story so as not to tarnish the image they have of their adopted home in their head. "So what if someone gets hurt, they could get hurt in their own bathtub back home, what's the difference?"

We see many FMP-goers over here in Bangrak and when they ask about it we give them all the standard warnings. I think I'll add a new one, "If something bad happens, don't ask a local expat. They will probably do worse to you to keep you from spreading bad non-news. You might turn up missing". OK, that last part was a joke so everyone can now un-bunch their panties. Seriously, if the FMP-goers ask we do give them the warnings but tell them it is safe IF you are careful and don't do stupid things.

Seen some crazy posts from you before sbk but even i get surpriced on this post.

Seriously, what are you trying to say here?? :o Is it the "drunk guys" fault that get beaten up and robbed? Because they go to a party and get drunk?

You may live in koh pagnan but that dosen´t mean you have to loose all human values.

Nope, just extraordinarily cynical about people who attend the FMP -- and nope, not blaming the victim, but really he should have left his valuables at home. Anyone with any modicum of common sense should know better than to take valuables to a party with thousands of people. Does that mean I am saying he deserved it? Don't think I did say that, I think you've decided that is what I am saying.

And just to clarify, the point I was trying to make but clearly totally missed was that the people going to these parties DO NOT CARE if the occasional guy gets beaten up, stabbed, woman raped. The general attitude is that bad things happen to other people. And the occasional guy getting beaten for his valuables is not going to diminish the popularity of this party. What will is when it is no longer the fashionable thing for backpacking gap year kids.

And its interesting that you think I am trying to sweep bad news under the carpet, did you actually read what I've posted?

Nope, just extraordinarily cynical about people who attend the FMP -- and nope, not blaming the victim, but really he should have left his valuables at home. Anyone with any modicum of common sense should know better than to take valuables to a party with thousands of people. Does that mean I am saying he deserved it? Don't think I did say that, I think you've decided that is what I am saying.

People should know better. Maybe threads like this will help more people to take the necessary precautions when attending the FMP.

That said, leaving my valuables in a 400 baht/night unsecure bungalow or carrying them with me would be a tough choice.

And its interesting that you think I am trying to sweep bad news under the carpet, did you actually read what I've posted?

I read the part about it not being newsworthy at the top of this page. That would lead me to believe that if it were up to you, you wouldn't have bothered posting it.

The reality of the matter is that the local police are not influenced by ANYTHING other than what goes in their pockets. And the vice will go on unrestricted, regardless of whether or not some guy gets mugged on the beach.

And just to clarify, the point I was trying to make but clearly totally missed was that the people going to these parties DO NOT CARE if the occasional guy gets beaten up, stabbed, woman raped.

That is exactly why this sort of thing should be newsworthy. The more the word gets out the more people will know to protect themselves, and they may even work towards change. Mute acceptance of the status quo, whether good or bad, is for helpless sheep.

I'll have 1,000 THB of anyone's money that the Attackers were not " Local " as the OP suggests IE from Koh Phangang.. :o

Isaan, Khmer, Burmese, Vietcong, did they swim ashore from Indonesia?

Who knows, who cares, but i still bet that 1,000 THB that they were not " Local " as the OP stated IE From Phangang..:D

The reality of the matter is that the local police are not influenced by ANYTHING other than what goes in their pockets. And the vice will go on unrestricted, regardless of whether or not some guy gets mugged on the beach.

And just to clarify, the point I was trying to make but clearly totally missed was that the people going to these parties DO NOT CARE if the occasional guy gets beaten up, stabbed, woman raped.

That is exactly why this sort of thing should be newsworthy. The more the word gets out the more people will know to protect themselves, and they may even work towards change. Mute acceptance of the status quo, whether good or bad, is for helpless sheep.

OK, just out of curiosity, do you really think the "word" has not gotten out? In this day of email, text messaging, Facebook and My Space, don't you think that just perhaps those who are going to be made aware already are?

Also, just wondering if people here realize how long this party has been going on and how long its been big? Sure, they had the 20th anniversary last year but the party has really only been big since 1992.

So, lets do the math. A quiet month is around 5-6000 people, a big month 30,000. But lets just even things out to make the math easier. Lets say that 6 months of the year (May-Nov excluding August) its 6000 people at one party. August is a bit busier, lets say 10,000. And lets say 5 months of the high season averages 20,000 (its probably higher but lets be conservative).

So, I get about 146,000 people attending this party a year. 16 years would make it over 2.3 million people. Are you seriously trying to tell me that these people don't talk? Haven't talked? Haven't told their friends about the fights/robberies/muggings/rapes they see?

OK, just out of curiosity, do you really think the "word" has not gotten out? In this day of email, text messaging, Facebook and My Space, don't you think that just perhaps those who are going to be made aware already are?

Also, just wondering if people here realize how long this party has been going on and how long its been big? Sure, they had the 20th anniversary last year but the party has really only been big since 1992.

So, lets do the math. A quiet month is around 5-6000 people, a big month 30,000. But lets just even things out to make the math easier. Lets say that 6 months of the year (May-Nov excluding August) its 6000 people at one party. August is a bit busier, lets say 10,000. And lets say 5 months of the high season averages 20,000 (its probably higher but lets be conservative).

So, I get about 146,000 people attending this party a year. 16 years would make it over 2.3 million people. Are you seriously trying to tell me that these people don't talk? Haven't talked? Haven't told their friends about the fights/robberies/muggings/rapes they see?

Yes !! a last a debate with pro's and con's , fors and for nots .with moaners argueing .

Thank you all

this has many things for people to think about good and bad

KPG /Full moon party /Samui is not perfect ,but it ain't bad

That leaves only 6,728,600,000 who haven't been.

Besides, out of that tiny group of 2.3 million (spread out across the planet and generations), how many were so stoned out of their mind that they don't even remember what happened let alone be able to tell about it?

......this is the Samui forum but that still doesn't make it newsworthy.

What makes this story "newsworthy" is that the guy who was mugged probably was forced to pay a 100 Baht "entrance fee" when he arrived from Samui. Supposedly part of this fee goes towards "improved security", where was the security when he needed it?

In many "farang" eyes a "local" is a Thai person, the average farang doesn't know if a Thai is from the island or Chiang Mai. So, when the OP reports that the guy was mugged by locals, he means Thais not farang.

People should know better. Maybe threads like this will help more people to take the necessary precautions when attending the FMP.

That said, leaving my valuables in a 400 baht/night unsecure bungalow or carrying them with me would be a tough choice.

I read the part about it not being newsworthy at the top of this page. That would lead me to believe that if it were up to you, you wouldn't have bothered posting it.

Well, in this case they stayed in a "proper Hotel" had access to all facilities including Locker Room and Safety Deposit, but those days a Cell Phone, an iPod, MP3 Player, a Digi Cam, VDO, aren't really considered "valuable items", but a necessity...

and makes carrying things like this, the victim the perpetrator, was it the students fault, even to go to this www. advertised party?

yeah as it seems he has trespassed in someones beloved territory and therefore already seems to have earned the mugging, another argues it's all way to much negative, this happens everywhere in the world... yes, I wish the cops tell you this after you have been mugged!

The whole discussion get somewhat a bit out of hand... do we have to vote now, which news are noteworthy, which aren't and which ones are better kept silent or swept under the carpet?

yes this discussion brings back the rape case... I was send into "holidays" for having a different and a bit a critical view on the case..... :D

Which makes it in the light of where this thread has been lead to by a moderator quite funny!

Those who are opposed to such "news", should simply try how this Student on his first travel through the world msut have felt, being out on a great party, with all his best mates, having a beautiful night out and then....on the way back "home", being beaten up and robbed as extra-topping on the pizza!

Sure he "deserved this"!

The next one I will tell: "Shut the <removed> up and read what some ex-pats who live here on these islands think about you losers, giving this paradise a bad name with your sheer presence, scum get out a here!" :o

btw - in the past 20 years I've spent about 7 years in the USA (two diff states) and over 11 years in Europe (2 diff countries with friends from many more) and I don't remember anyone ever saying anything more about the FMP other than maybe "there is a big party in Thailand". Of course, maybe I was too stoned or drunk to remember? :o

Bophut Bob is rather entertaining ..

He has a point about posters moaning and the like, but also proves you shouldn't post after a a session in the fishermans wharf area.

As for violence it seems to be on the increase across the whole area, like global warming we now have Global chavs.

Yesterday I went to Phuket with some of the FMP tourists. First the Express boat coming from KPN and going to Surath was overloaded like crazy. Even not enough place to stand. Then they drove us 4-5 times all over Surath, no MiniVan to Phuket even everybody paid the trip in advance. In the end we had the choice between: " Wait until tomorrow morning, maybe you get a seat in a regular bus" or "pay 300 THB for a MiniVan trip." Not have to mention that the Thais involved in this scamming were very aggressive and bad talking (I understand the language). And of course no one responsible for nothing.

We arrived Phuket at 1 am instead of 9 pm. In Phuket-Patong the driver should us bring to the guest houses, sure he didnt, just threw us out of the van.

I stay a couple of years here but never before I had such a bad feeling of being just a stupid farang worth to be ripped off.

BTW one of the guys travelling with me "lost" all his belongings on the FMP - digicam, credit card, passport etc.

Edited by ClaudeFeller

you are joking a mugging at full moon. i never would have thought that that would happen. All well behaved people on only a few bucket of samsong dancing and ejoying music. people walking around with friendly knives. mugging at full moon i not beleive it

you are joking a mugging at full moon. i never would have thought that that would happen. All well behaved people on only a few bucket of samsong dancing and ejoying music. people walking around with friendly knives. mugging at full moon i not beleive it

I think the FMP image abroad is closer to a modern day Woodstock overflowing with peace, love and really hip people dancing all night instead a potentially dangerous place with criminals preying on the young, naive farang high on "life".

Total agree with you SBK about the statistics. as for the conclusion i beg to differ... and this is why people don't talk about it.

on any given Saturday night in any western country. people go out to parties and entertainment venues. in many of those places people get robbed mugged stabbed and

assaulted. it has not stopped anyone from going out to party.

every major tourist destination in the world has the same problem. tourists who are richer then the locals are robbed and assaulted.

it does not make headlines and people don't talk about it.

there are some "goody goody" whingers on this forum who would have us believe that this is some unique phenomena to thailand and to the islands. the worst thing is that they actually believe that.

no body gives a sh..t if some tourist got mugged on a FMP. no body cares that 1 or 2 or even 20 in 2.3 million where abused or assaulted.

it is a shame .... we don't like it to happen but it does.

the difference here is you have no protection from the police or recourse when things happen

Yes. That´s the huge difference. If you make a party for 10 000 people, expected to get as drunk as possible, you will have to show that security is thought off, or permits for this thing would not be issued in the western world. Koh pagnan probably don´t even have one policeman at duty on the fmp nights.

the difference here is you have no protection from the police or recourse when things happen

Yes. That´s the huge difference. If you make a party for 10 000 people, expected to get as drunk as possible, you will have to show that security is thought off, or permits for this thing would not be issued in the western world. Koh pagnan probably don´t even have one policeman at duty on the fmp nights.

guess you have not been in a FMP for a while.

there are many police and marine police and tourist police on duty before and during the party.

infect there also a lot of drug enforcement police in plain close as well. as well as officers of the anti terror dep.

however after the party when the case above happened, there are no police. and as unfortunate as it may be the guy was attacked because they new the party was over and that he was alone by himself.

there are many police and marine police and tourist police on duty before and during the party.

infect there also a lot of drug enforcement police in plain close as well. as well as officers of the anti terror dep.

however after the party when the case above happened, there are no police. and as unfortunate as it may be the guy was attacked because they new the party was over and that he was alone by himself.

Happy to see you finally right about something highdiver, i bet you did not know it because as usuall you took a wild shot, but you are right, i have not been there for a while.

However, i would like you to please share with us what you think is "many police and marine police and tourist police on duty before and after the party"?

Can you come up with a factuall figure of that statement? "Many" is in a case of 20 000 (sometimes) heavily intoxicated youth gone wild.

How many police could (even if they took the whole force of koh pagnan, meaning leaving the rest of the island open for any kind of criminal activity) they possible put up to keep the safety in a 20 000 people party?

Please enlightnen us with your extreme knowledge of everything. I´m dying to know. :o

Happy to see you finally right about something highdiver, i bet you did not know it because as usuall you took a wild shot, but you are right, i have not been there for a while.

However, i would like you to please share with us what you think is "many police and marine police and tourist police on duty before and after the party"?

Can you come up with a factuall figure of that statement? "Many" is in a case of 20 000 (sometimes) heavily intoxicated youth gone wild.

How many police could (even if they took the whole force of koh pagnan, meaning leaving the rest of the island open for any kind of criminal activity) they possible put up to keep the safety in a 20 000 people party?

Please enlightnen us with your extreme knowledge of everything. I´m dying to know. :D

well i am glad to see you approve of something and as you are so keen about facts please do share with us the basis of your assumptions about the police presence when as in your own words have not been there... :D

i don't know how many police are there in numbers but the presence of the police is there and it is noticed.

the ones that i have seen last month..... on the contrary to you i actually was there.....are as follows.

I never thought of taking count of the police man on duty but it seems they were every where.

as for enlightenment.. did you get to understand the FACTS about turning of florescent lights or is your latest 12 years of engineering prevented you from doing so. :o

'It is BAD news, really, bad news and that the coppers either the "Tourist" or the Local Cops couldn't even be bothered, we do have a very disgruntled bunch of students who going to leave this country with a really bad aftertaste, they have mates, they will tell, Universities ... blogs, it will make it's way around and another bad image is added to the Thailand - Party Scene!'

no it really isn't bad news, people forget easily, i'm a regular traveller to india and when the girl was murdered in anjuna last year it was news for a while but for tourist numbers no change. shit happens when your young you forget and move on, if any gap year students informed their pals it will have affected all of one years worth of students and they wouldn't really give a shit anyway just take more precautions. Old people seem to take these incidents a lot more seriously than the young uns, muggings happen everywhere whoop de do it doesn't tar an industry.

Common sense is the best medicine in this kind of parties. They surely collect lot of scum from other parts of Thailand (most often hooked in some drug) and neighboring countries not forgetting that there's been leagues even from Europe who see this venue as a profitable way to finance their extended vacation - who are there just for seezing the moment. They might follow their prey like condors or then act upon party goers who are passed out, alone in the dark or drunk out of their minds.

Pick pocketing is the easiest way to act when there's tons of people around. Most of the people are happily drunk and just dance to the night but then they misplace, drop, forget or get pick pocketed in their unconcisousnes. Alne you're most vulnerable.

Question naturally is - who travels half way to the other side of the world and acts like he/she was in home turf with the best of the pals? It is unevitable that someone(s) fumbles in this kind of massive grazy party.

Koh Phanang and Samui forces see this as one of great steady income pots for the islands and that is the reason why they have to and will secure that people can have their fun in safety. However they can't protect all the thousands of people who wonder back to their locations and this is where travellers should use that common sense. Them (police)being visible at the party is a good thing.

Don't make yourself that obvious prey by carrying fancy bags, bulging mobiles and hanging cameras around - especially if you got to make your way to quieter areas - alone. If you plan to pass out - make sure all you got is your shirt and shorts on with hidden 500b for hang over beer and return ticket. No one starts beating passed out drunks...

I've travelled all over the world without ever beeing mugged or robbed but then again even when I've travelled alone I've used that common sense.

Edited by SamuiBond

well i am glad to see you approve of something and as you are so keen about facts please do share with us the basis of your assumptions about the police presence when as in your own words have not been there... :o

I did not say i have not been there. I said i have not been there in a while. And the precence of police and having enough policemen for a party with 20 000 visitors is a huge difference to me. So far you are one of the few i ever heard that think their precence is enough. But i am not saying you are wrong in this, i was just trying to do a paralell to for instans Europe where this would not be aloud. Debating your "arguments " in thread after thread gets a bit pointless for 2 reasons:

1. My answers usually gets deleted.

2. Your answers are in my eyes fos.

So, before you continue with more ridicoulus statements and knowledge, i tell you up front, i am not saying you are wrong. I just questenioned what kind of policeforce koh pagnan with it´s best efforts ever could bring up to try to keep this in controll. In my eyes (still not been there for a while) it seems there do happen alot of crime. Oftely quite serious crime.

Just my oppinion.