Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry.

Eastender

Planning for the distant future, a very helpful link from this site took me to the British Embassy site which explains how to get the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the Brit embassy in BKK, then get this translated and use for marriage.

Can I get this same affirmation in the UK before I come out? Where from?

Just thinking if I can do this before coming out it might save some time/hassle.

Thanks.

From what I have heard, you can but you may have problems with the MOFA, Chaeng Wattana endorsement as they are not likely to endorse documents they are not "familiar" with.

Just get it done in BKK, it will only take 2 working days.

Good luck!!

I typed the English original of mine up in 1999 and brought it out with me. I used a pro-forma from the embassy. I had prepared a translation, but never used it as my bride-to-be was persuaded, while I was swearing out the affirmation, that we should let a translation agency handle the registration of the marriage, including the translation of the affirmation and of the mariage certificate. (I had been worrying about getting this translated in time for the visa interview, and had been worried about the registrar demanding documents I would not have in Thailand, as is apparently his right.)

We'd already submitted the visa application, about 9 weeks earlier, so everything went smoothly - affirm and marry in week 1, interview in week 2, fly back together to UK in week 3.

My one worry is that I do not know whether the MFA ever saw the affirmation! On this, I think the best solution is to let sleeping dogs lie.