หัวเมือง

DavidHouston

The following sample sentence shows up in Lexitron under the definition of "หัวเมือง".

สมเด็จพระเจ้าตากสินทรงพาไพร่พลมาสร้างกำลังทางหัวเมืองตะวันออก เพื่อกลับไปกู้กรุงศรีอยุธยา

Please help me understand the meaning of the sentence, especially the phrase "ทางหัวเมืองตะวันออก". Is it:

1. King Taksin led his troops in building up (military) strength along (Ayuthiya's) Eastern outskirts in order to return and save the city.

2. King Taksin led his troops in building up (military) strength in the provinces on the Eastern side in order to return and save Ayuthiya.

Thank you.

2. King Taksin led his troops in building up (military) strength in the provinces on the Eastern side in order to return and save Ayuthiya.

This one is the answer.

"ทางหัวเมืองตะวันออก" means 'at the provinces on the Easten side.

This one is the answer.

Given the ambiguous scope of muang (เมือง) it can refer to eastern borders or eastern districts. I am just not too comfortable using 'province' when referring to that era. The "head" (หัว) of the region implies to me a border area as opposed to tua muang (sorry I can only copy and paste Thai font) the central core of the muang.

This one is the answer.

Given the ambiguous scope of muang (เมือง) it can refer to eastern borders or eastern districts. I am just not too comfortable using 'province' when referring to that era. The "head" (หัว) of the region implies to me a border area as opposed to tua muang (sorry I can only copy and paste Thai font) the central core of the muang.

I think you should look at the definition of this word first, there is nothing showing that this word implies a border area.

From RID:

หัวเมือง น. เมืองอื่นนอกจากเมืองหลวง; (ปาก) ต่างจังหวัด; (โบ) เมืองใหญ่

ที่มีเมืองน้อยมาขึ้น.

From Dr. Wit:

หัวเมือง

(น., ว.) ต่างจังหวัด,บ้านนอก,เมืองขึ้น,เมืองอื่นนอกจากเมืองหลวง. n. provincial town or city, chief city of a province. adj. provincial.

And which part could be claimed as borders in that era?

Edited by yoot

I think Johpa's main point is that using the word "province" (or จังหวัด) is troublesome, because there was no such thing at that time. In addition to there being no governing unit called จังหวัด, there weren't clearly defined boundaries, as everyone fought over this territory or that. Speaking of which, perhaps "territory" is a better word.

Edited by Rikker

I think Johpa's main point is that using the word "province" (or จังหวัด) is troublesome, because there was no such thing at that time. In addition to there being no governing unit called จังหวัด, there weren't clearly defined boundaries, as everyone fought over this territory or that. Speaking of which, perhaps "territory" is a better word.

Well, I think I should show you some part of the history on that era to see how it works.

เมื่อพระองค์ขึ้นครองราชย์แล้ว ได้ทรงแต่งตั้งให้ขุนพิเรนทรเทพ เป็นพระมหาธรรมราชา ครองเมืองพิษณุโลก แล้วพระราชทานพระวิสุทธิกษัตรี ให้เป็นพระมเหสี ขุนอินทรเทพ ได้รับแต่งตั้งเป็นเจ้าพระยาศรีธรรมาโศกราช ผู้สำเร็จราชการเมืองนครศรีธรรมราช หลวงศรียศ เป็นเจ้าพระยามหาเสนา ที่สมุหกลาโหม หมื่นราชเสน่หา เป็นเจ้าพระยามหาเทพ หมื่นราชเสน่หานอกราชการ เป็นพระยาภักดีนุชิต พระยาพิชัย เป็นเจ้าพระยาพิชัย พระยาสวรรคโลก เป็นเจ้าพระยาสวรรคโลก

ในปี พ.ศ.๒๐๙๑ สมเด็จพระมหาจักรพรรดิขึ้นครองราชย์ได้เพียงเจ็ดเดือน พระเจ้าหงสาวดี (พระเจ้าตะเบงชะเวตี้) ทรงทราบว่า ทางกรุงศรีอยุธยาผลัดเปลี่ยนแผ่นดิน เห็นเป็นโอกาสที่จะแผ่อำนาจมายังราชอาณาจักรไทย จึงได้ยกกองทัพใหญ่มาทางเมืองกาญจนบุรี ตั้งค่ายหลวงที่ตำบลกุ่มดอง ทัพพระมหาอุปราชา ตั้งที่เพนียด ทัพพระเจ้าแปร ตั้งที่บ้านใหม่มะขามหย่อง ทัพพระยาพะสิม ตั้งอยู่ที่ตำบลทุ่งวรเชษฐ สมเด็จพระมหาจักรพรรดิ เสด็จออกไปดูลาดเลากำลังศึก ณ ทุ่งภูเขาทอง พร้อมกับพระสุริโยทัย พระราเมศวร และพระมหินทราธิราช สมเด็จพระมหาจักรพรรดิได้กระทำยุทธหัตถีกับพระเจ้าแปร ช้างพระที่นั่งเสียที สมเด็จพระสุริโยทัยจึงทรงไสช้างเข้าขวางช้างข้าศึก เพื่อป้องกันสมเด็จพระมหาจักรพรรดิ พระเจ้าแปรได้ทีจึงฟันสมเด็จพระสุริโยทัยด้วยของ้าว สิ้นพระชนม์บนคอช้าง พระราเมศวรและพระมหินทรา ฯ ได้ขับช้างเข้ากันพระศพกลับเข้าพระนคร

I think 'the provinces' is still a better word.

See the definition of the word 'เมือง' from RID:

เมือง น. แดน เช่น เมืองมนุษย์ เมืองสวรรค์ เมืองบาดาล, ประเทศ เช่น เมืองไทย

เมืองจีน เมืองลาว; (โบ) จังหวัด เช่น เมืองเชียงใหม่ เมืองนครศรีธรรมราช

เมืองตราด; เขตซึ่งเคยเป็นเมืองสำคัญในระดับจังหวัดต่อมาถูกลดฐานะเป็น

อำเภอ เช่น เมืองไชยา เมืองมีนบุรี เมืองขุขัน์; เขตซึ่งเป็นที่ชุมนุมและเป็น

ที่ตั้งศาลากลางจังหวัด ซึ่งในครั้งก่อน ถ้าเป็นเมืองใหญ่ หมายถึงเขตภายใน

กําแพงเมือง.

That's fine. I don't have a problem with using 'provinces' in English.

I asked my wife today what หัวเมือง meant. She said (roughly verbatim):

ในสมัยก่อนมีหัวเมืองชั้นนอกกับหัวเมืองชั้นใน มีไว้ป้องกันข้าศึก รักษาเมืองหลวง เป็นการวางผังเมืองสมัยโบราณ

I thought her reply was interesting, since I know little about the topic. Is that accurate as far as you know, Yoot?

For example, this page lists the หัวเมือง of Sukhothai:

ชั้นใน

North: เมืองศรีสัชนาลัย

East: เมืองสองแคว (ปัจจุบันคือพิษณุโลก)

West: เมืองนครชุม (ปัจจุบันอยู่ฝั่งตะวันตกของจังหวัดกำแพงเพชร)

South: เมืองสระหลวง

ชั้นนอก

South: เมืองแพรก (สวรรคบุรี), สุวรรณภูมิ (อู่ทอง), ราชบุรี, เพชรบุรี, and ตะนาวศรี (Tenasserim)

North: เมืองแพร่

East: เมืองหล่มสัก, ศรีเทพ (วิเชียรบุรี), and เมืองเพชรบูรณ์

So the fact there were two levels lends credence to the idea that the outer level is the border area.

Edited by Rikker

Did some more digging. This page is very helpful: การปกครองตั้งแต่อดีต-ปัจจุบัน

It gives three levels of หัวเมือง in Sukhothai times, adding ประเทศราช ("colony, dependency" -- Mary Haas dictionary) as the outermost level:

3. เมืองประเทศราช ได้แก่เมืองที่เป็นชาวต่างภาษา มีกษัตริย์ปกครองขึ้นกับสุโขทัย ในฐานะประเทศราช มีนครศรีธรรมราช มะละกา ยะโฮร์ ทะวาย เมาะตะมะ หงสาวดี น่าน เซ่า เวียงจันทน์ และเวียงคำ

"3. Dependencies were city-states that spoke foreign languages, whose king was subject to Sukhothai."

Later, in the Ayutthaya period, the หัวเมืองชั้นใน were expanded by King Trailokanat as a way of centralizing power (because the ชั้นใน was governed directly by the capital), and the หัวเมืองชั้นนอก were subdivided into ชั้นเอก โท ตรี "level one, two three".

Towards the end of the 19th century, the various หัวเมือง were combined and reorganized into มณฑล (the predecessor of the modern ภาค) which were subdivided into เมือง (predecessor of the modern จังหวัด).

Very interesting.

Judging from the definition provided in the RID and further exposition from Rikker, I believe my understanding was incorrect and that hua muang did not refer specifically to a border but to lesser towns under the influence of the more powerful entity, but not yet under direct control. So in that sense, the use of the term "province" would be correct.

We must remember the ambiguity in some Thai geographic terms such as muang, as Rikker notes they can have multiple levels, such as muang relating to either a town, province, or even the entire country as in Muang Thai.

Bottom line is that my initial parsing of the sentence was wrong and I stand corrected.

I thought her reply was interesting, since I know little about the topic. Is that accurate as far as you know, Yoot?

Yes, it is. But which province was considered as which หัวเมือง depended on which era too.

In the era on this topic, ระยอง จันทบุรี ตราด were หัวเมืองตะวันออก which พระยาจักรี had settled down his troops at จันทบุรี . On that time, it seemed they were not divided to หัวเมืองชั้นนอก ชั้นกลาง and ชั้นใน as in some era.

You can read from this page.

This part is also from that page:

นิธิ เอียวศรีวงศ์ เป็นผู้เสนอการอธิบายสาเหตุของความระส่ำระสายจนทำให้อยุธยาต้องพ่ายแพ้สงครามในมุมมองที่กว้างขวางขึ้น ด้วยการอธิบายถึงการปฏิเสธอำนาจของราชธานีเพราะการควบคุมและช่วงชิงผลประโยชน์เหนือหัวเมือง จนเมื่อข้าศึกรุกราน หัวเมืองเหล่านี้ก็ไม่ให้ความช่วยเหลือ ในขณะที่การอธิบายในงานเขียนก่อนหน้ามักให้ความสำคัญที่ความสามารถของพระมหากษัตริย์ (พระเจ้าเอกทัศน์) ว่าเป็นปัจจัยสำคัญที่ทำให้อยุธยาอ่อนแอและต้องพ่ายแพ้ในที่สุด อย่างไรก็ตาม การศึกษาในระยะหลังเห็นว่า อาณาจักรอยุธยา เกิดจากการรวมตัวของเมืองต่าง ๆ ที่มีผู้ปกครองของตัวเองและยอมรับอำนาจของราชธานี หัวเมืองต่าง ๆ จึงค่อนข้างอยู่อย่างอิสระ เว้นแต่ในบางช่วงเวลาที่ราชธานีพยายามควบคุมมากขึ้นด้วยวิธีการต่าง ๆ เช่น ส่งราชนิกูลไปปกครอง หรือให้มีขุนนางยกกระบัตรไปกำกับการทำงานของเจ้าเมืองและกรมการเมืองอีกชั้นหนึ่ง แต่ก็มักเป็นไปอย่างไม่ต่อเนื่องและอาจถูกต่อต้านจากหัวเมืองในที่สุด มีผลทำให้อยุธยามีอำนาจและความสามารถในการป้องกันตนเองที่จำกัด
Edited by yoot