Thaksin Concedes Problems With Elite Card Scheme

astral

The Elite Card programme has signed up some 660 members who have forked over one million baht per card. Benefits include fast-track immigration processing, special discounts on hotels, golf course fees and spas as well as limited land ownership rights for foreigners.

But sales have lagged well short of the initial target of one million users within five years, and an investigation is currently pending into alleged irregularities in international media ad spending.

[

Didn't I read somewhere most of the 660 cards were gifts donated by Mr. Taxin?

The Elite Card programme has signed up some 660 members who have forked over one million baht per card. Benefits include fast-track immigration processing, special discounts on hotels, golf course fees and spas as well as limited land ownership rights for foreigners.

But sales have lagged well short of the initial target of one million users within five years, and an investigation is currently pending into alleged irregularities in international media ad spending.

[

Didn't I read somewhere most of the 660 cards were gifts donated by Mr. Taxin?

Huh....He never sent me one :o

Can't remember the details but it seems they put the cards up for sale promising one set of benefits then reneged and diluted the benefits to buyers.

What were they really offering?

Strip away the marketing-speak and the answer is, not very much.

The problems weren't with the card companies, they're just the whipping boy.

It was a stupid concept.

Falangs, even the booze-soaked ones, are not all stupid and have more consumer awareness than the bozos who thought this up.

I still believe that the concept is a good one, but that the benefits are not substantial enough at the present time. I recommend that the Prime Minister get a dynamic new executive to head the scheme. What is needed is special immigration status and house ownership rights. For that one might be prepared to pay Baht 5 million at least.

By the way, when travelling alone I don't need an airport limo. With about 170 baht plus 20 baht for the tollway, a meter taxi gets me downtown fast. And yes, I usually pick it up on the departure level instead of wasting time in the line on the arrivals level.

What is needed is special immigration status and house ownership rights.

I really doubt that anybody in the Thai government, including Mr. Big himself, is interested enough in the elite card scheme's success to amend the laws regarding foreign ownership of land/houses.

What is needed is special immigration status and house ownership rights.

I really doubt that anybody in the Thai government, including Mr. Big himself, is interested enough in the elite card scheme's success to amend the laws regarding foreign ownership of land/houses.

He might try just in case he gets voted out!!! Toxin likes his money too much me thinks!! :o