Ex-pm Samak Has Liver Cancer

george

I might have missed it, but i haven,t found one poster that actually wishes liver cancer on this ??????

I think some do, believe it or not :D -- where's the compassion :o ?

At one moment some use the notion of "karma"; at another ask for "rule of law".

I have a slight faith in both notions, but that is hardly the point.

What is very interesting is the way events & comments here keep suggesting & reinforcing how ... very astonishingly suggestible some people are.

I know many have given up on this thread, because of the above, but please keep writing in with all points of view ... that's essential :D , is it not ? Also, what you're seeing & hearing in BKK.

Edited by sylviex

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Samak discharged from Bamrungrad

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej has been discharged from the Bamrungrad Hospital following liver cancer treatment.

His brother, Sumit Sundaravej, said Monday that the former prime minister has been discharged several days ago and has been recovering at home.

Source: The Nation - 03 November 2008

still no news for an independent confirmation of his alleged illness, but there is news he's leaving the country...

Former PM Samak Released from Hospital

Former PM Samak Sundaravej has been released from the hospital after being treated for liver cancer for several weeks.

The former premier will be travelling to U.S. for additional treatments on Wednesday.

The media did not attempt to interview the former premier. They have reported that former PM Samak looked pale and has lost a lot of weight.

- TOC / 2008-11-03

Samak to be hospitalised abroad, if court approves

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej's lawyer Prachum Thongmee said on Monday that he may file a petition to ask the Supreme Court to allow his ailing client to be treated overseas.

According to Mr Prachum, he had not heard the rumours about Mr Samak's plan to travel to the United States to get his liver cancer treated.

The lawyer pointed out that the former premier must ask for the court's approval regardless of the reasons to travel abroad because the court convicted him and former senator Dusit Siriwan of defaming former deputy Bangkok governor Samart Ratchapolsitte and they were sentenced to two years in prison.

Mr Prachum, however, said his client had not contacted him to petition the court, but his legal team had already prepared relevant documents for this purpose.

He believed the court would approved the petition, because Mr Samak committed a personal offence and the penalty would not be severe.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-03

http://www.bumrungrad.com/overseas-medical...cer-center.aspx

Thailand’s first private and comprehensive cancer center,

Horizon is dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and aftercare of cancer.

The internationally trained medical oncologists, radiation oncologists,

physicists, radiation technicians and oncology nurses are available to serve you.

Horizon nurses, pharmacists and technicians have completed extensive training

in the United States

at some of the world's most prestigious Cancer Centers

including the MD Anderson Cancer center in Houston, Texas.

Bumrungrad International, Ground floor, South Wing

Contact Us

Phone: 66 (0) 2667- 1555

Fax: 66 (0) 2667-2915

Why can't he be treated in Thailand?

Horizon nurses, pharmacists and technicians have completed extensive training

in the United States

at some of the world's most prestigious Cancer Centers

including the MD Anderson Cancer center in Houston, Texas.

Why can't he be treated in Thailand?

Indeed. And for you folks who do not know Texas :o from Tennessee, when I lived in Houston our church had a cancer surgeon just finishing his residency at M. D. Anderson, and was going to Sloan-Kettering in New York City. He said MD Anderson was equal to the world's best.

Bumrundgrad was rated by a NewsWeek panel as in the top five hospitals world wide.

To my utter shock at the time of reading. H

Having been there now several times, I have to agree that it compares

very favorably, subjectively of course, to ANY hospital I have been to world wide.

Boston, NYC, Paris, London, right up there.

No pressing need to go anywhere, and they speak Thai perfectly too.

hhmm wonder why the road trip?

Agreeing with PB above: MD Anderson reportedly is THE world's #1 cancer treatment center. I think it would trump Bumrungrad Hospital. But, it is NOT cheap, although that's probably not a deterrent for the patient involved here.

Samak to fly to USA for cancer treatment

Former PM Samak was discharged from Bumrungrad Hospital yesterday amid reports he will fly to the USA for further treatment for liver cancer. Samak left via an underground parking lot in the morning, accompanied only by a nurse and his personal secretary Paisal Akasarakul. During his brief appearance yesterday, the 72-year-old looked thinner and weary. The press were not allowed to approach the former PM, but Paisal admitted Samak's weight had slightly decreased during his hospital treatment, which lasted a little more than one month. Doctors were satisfied with Samak's improving condition and urged him to change his diet to stay healthy, he added. Samak was admitted to the hospital on Oct 2 after suffering abdominal pain. His illness was not confirmed until he was later visited by television journalist Krissana Chairat. He underwent laser surgery at the hospital. Samak is reportedly scheduled to fly to the US tomorrow for further treatment. Samak quit the leadership of the PPP in late September after he was disqualified from the premiership by the Constitution Court. On Sept 25, the Appeals Court also confirmed a two-year jail sentence for defaming former deputy Bangkok governor Samart Ratchapolsitte in a television talk show in 2006. He is fighting

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/041108_News/04Nov2008_news10.php

Edited by Jai Dee
Personal commentary in body text of news bulletin deleted.

During his brief appearance yesterday, the 72-year-old looked thinner

really? :o

Imageaspx4322.jpg

Samak to Travel to U.S. for Liver Cancer Treatment

Former Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is reportedly planning to travel to the U.S. to seek further treatment for liver cancer.

After having been released from Bumgrungrad Hospital yesterday, reporters said former PM Samak Sundaravej is preparing to visit the U.S. to receive further treatment for his liver cancer.

Samak’s secretary, Paisarn Akkasarakul, told reporters the former premier would leave the country tomorrow, but declined to disclose other details of the trip.

It is, however, reported that Samak will fly out of Thailand via a United Airlines flight at 5 am tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, Samak’s attorney Prachum Thongmee said his client had not contacted him to seek the Supreme Court’s approval to leave Thailand.

The ex-premier was sentenced to two years behind bars for defaming a former deputy Bangkok governor but was released temporarily on 200,000 baht bail.

He has been under doctors' care since he resigned from the premiership at the end of September.

- TOC / 2008-11-04

==================================================

Leaving the country without the court's permission??? Do we have yet another convicted bail jumper fleeing the country???

As a leader, albeit former, it'd be nice if he'd get permission to leave the country prior to actually leaving.

If he truly does have liver cancer and the USA grants this convicted criminal a visa... then yes, agreed, I think he should be able to receive treatment at the facility of his choice.

If he doesn't have liver cancer, I think he should face additional charges for attempting to defraud the system.

If he does have liver cancer and the USA grants this convicted criminal a visa and he doesn't receive permission to leave prioe to leaving the country, I think his passport should be revoked and he be required to return with an arrest warrant issued.

Liver cancer is a horrible way to go. Nobody deserves this type of fate. It's shameful to see how people on this forum hide behind a screen while throwing daggers with their keyboard at someone who is destined to suffer dreadfully.

Agreed - my father died from Liver Cancer . . . . . .

G

For Samak to get medical treatment he will need a special visa, so I don't think he's going to play around with this very much. Another point, if he shows up for medical treatment and they determine that he doesn't have cancer--or something seriously wrong, he probably won't be allowed to stay--at least not without jumping through a lot of hoops.

A third point is, he is going to the USA, which isn't going to be so easy for him with a criminal conviction. The US is less friendly than a lot of other places.

I would be a lot more concerned if he were headed to London for his cancer--that would be rather suspect, I think.

He's gone...

Samak leaves for US

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej left for the United States Wednesday morning, INN News reported. It said he arrived at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport at 4:50 am in his van with some five or six aides. It has been reported that he wants to seek treatment liver cancer treatment in the US.

- The Nation / 2008-11-05

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and now, his lawyer says permission from the Court in order to leave the country was not necessary? We'll see if the Court says the same...

Court permission not required for Samak's treatment in US

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej has left early this morning for cancer treatment in the United States, according to INN and Matichon reports on Wednesday.

His lawyer said Samak was free to leave the country without having to apply for permission from the high court since his libel conviction was not a serious crime.

Samak was freed on bail by the Appeals Court in September after failing to overturn the lower court's guilty verdict. His case is under the final appellate review by the Supreme Court.

- The Nation / 2008-11-05

=================================================

so now the twice convicted criminal has left the country

if one can believe his attorney... and if so, then why not state this publicly BEFORE he left??? :D:o

Samak's attorney assures his client's travel abroad legal

The attorney of former Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has indicated that his client's travel to receive treatment for liver cancer in the US does not violate his current legal ties.

Samak's attorney Prachum Thongmee revealed after the former premier left for Houston, Texas, in the United States, this morning that Samak's departure did not have to be sanctioned by the court despite his recent sentencing to two years imprisonment for libel against Deputy Governor of Bangkok Samart Ratchapolsit.

The verdict was upheld by the Court of Appeal, but bail was allowed to the ex-premier.

Prachum elaborated that on posting bail for Samak, the court did not prohibit him from leaving the country but assured the former PM will return immediately if summoned by the court.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-05

And for you folks who do not know Texas :o from Tennessee, when I lived in Houston...
Samak's attorney Prachum Thongmee revealed after the former premier left for Houston, Texas, in the United States,

I loved how ThaiNews felt compelled to clarify... that Texas was, in fact, in the U.S.A. :D

the family left the country with him...

Former PM Samak Travels to USA for Cancer Treatment

Former Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is on his way to the U.S. after a successful escape from an army of reporters to board his flight.

Former Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has left Thailand earlier this morning, on a flight to the U.S., where he is expected to receive further medical treatment for liver cancer.

The ex-premier was accompanied by his wife and daughters to board the plane at Suvarnabhumi International.

His destination is reported to be a cancer treatment institute in Texas, U.S.A.

However, reporters were unable to locate Samak while he was traveling to the airport this morning, as the former prime minister was apparently trying to avoid being a headline and requested the use of a special lounge.

Still, it was reported that Samak was on a wheelchair as he could not make a solid walk to the plane.

The duration of his treatment in the U.S. and his expected return await confirmation after a diagnosis by doctors in the U.S.

Before Samak’s departure, he has been under doctors' care at Bumrungrad Hospital since he resigned from the premiership at the end of September.

He was also sentenced to two years behind bars for defaming a former deputy Bangkok governor but was released temporarily on a 200,000 baht bail.

Samak's lawyer assured the former PM does not need permission from the court to leave the country as he has been released on bail and a ban on foreign travel was not part of his bail condition. He said Samak is ready to return to Thailand immediately if the court orders it.

- TOC / 2008-11-05

Liver cancer is a horrible way to go. Nobody deserves this type of fate. It's shameful to see how people on this forum hide behind a screen while throwing daggers with their keyboard at someone who is destined to suffer dreadfully.

Agreed - my father died from Liver Cancer . . . . . .

G

But considering how many former politicians escaped jail, i have my doubts if he would have liver cancer if he wouldn't go to jail soon.

I agree nobody deserves that type of fate! (a bit funny with treatment in USA which kills+torture people for much less than what Samak has done)

Thaksin, his boss, told Thailand is the hub of medial care and anyhow better than the rest of the world so why let they go him out of the country?

My wifes sister had a terrible infection and in the hospital they didn't gave her antibiotic under the 30 Baht (no free??) system as they are too expensiv.

So as we are all get the same Isaan farmer or rich people why this guy fly to USA?

Getting cancer a few days before jail is possible but not very likely.

Samak in Houston and a warm welcoming party :D

He was soooooo happy :o

the rest of the pics are here

I think we always knew about a disgusting and depraved element in PAD, but to pursue an obviously sick man in this way confirms their moral bankruptcy.Even the Democrat leadership which has been ambivalent about PAD tactics has been moved to condemn these revolting PAD creeps.Bangkok Pundit sums the situation up.

"Democrats and PAD

Posted by Bangkok Pundit | 11/07/2008 05:00:00 PM

At times, it is has been difficult to tell the difference between the PAD and Democrat position on issues and where they stand. I think there are some differences, but the Democrats are too afraid to speak up more (there are some exceptions), but the lead story on Matichon now is an article with Abhisit criticising PAD Houston supporters in the US who went to the US airport to "greet" Samak. Samak has flown there for treatment for liver cancer, with his wife. PAD supporters were holding a sign in front of him stating "You don't need to wait for the next life for your karmatic fate" ("เวรกรรม ไม่ต้องรอชาติหน้า") and other signs. Abhisit responded saying "he didn't like this at all" ("เรื่องนี้ ผมไม่ชอบเลย")"

One would hope that the decent PAD supporters on this forum would speak out, but moral courage is quite hard to find these days.Anyway one lives in hope.

One would hope that the decent PAD supporters on this forum would speak out, but moral courage is quite hard to find these days.Anyway one lives in hope.

For compassion, integrity, clear mindedness and all that ...

... well, I gave up this thread long ago.

This is the coloured T-shirt thread.

Do you want us to comment on PAD supporters in the US?

Ok, their behaviour is sick, now what?

You can also note how much they hate the man for what he has done and how he behaved while in office.

Yes their behaviour is sick, and the tone set by the PAD leadership is responsible.It doesn't matter how they hated the man.Look at the US where passions also ran high, but where this disgusting behaviour is absent and would not be tolerated.Wake up for God's sake.