Internet Banking In Thailand

Bangkok Bank has it but how comprehensive I can't say. Be sure you have an English speking staff member set up the account and the internet application at the same time and make it clear no internet access, no account.

I had all my accounts there and filled out all the applications to make them internet accessible. I can't even remember the rediculous reason they gave me for why I couldn't get it, something like I hadn't set up the accounts right. I am no longer with them.

I use the Bangkok Bank "bualuang -i- banking"internet service to pay bills,local interbank credit transfers and make payments to some registered company accounts ...buying land,importation of goods etc. but not for international money transactions. (TIT)

It can be done but too much paperwork anfd involves letters of credit,bankers draft agreement and lots of dosh.

You could try Cutibank...sorry Citibank,HSBC which are a little bit more "international"friendly.

A while back I tried to set up internet banking with SCB - until I discovered that *I* would be held liable in the event of any computer-related fraud or screw ups !

If they don't have enough confidence in the security of their online transactions to guarantee them, then neither do I !

A while back I tried to set up internet banking with SCB - until I discovered that *I* would be held liable in the event of any computer-related fraud or screw ups !

If they don't have enough confidence in the security of their online transactions to guarantee them, then neither do I !

I was planning to apply for scb internet banking, but i've changed my mind after reading this post !!

I stay in bangkok as a tourist . I have address but I have only tourist visa .

I would like to use internet banking. so which bank have internet banking service for tourist?

Possibly none - for a tourist.

Opening an account is one thing and that may be hard or even impossible without visa other than entry stamp and 30 days stay.

Setting up Internet banking is a separate process that takes 3-4 large sheets of paper filled in, it's even more complicated than opening the account itself. Goes forth and back from one manager to another to approve.

Then, after about 1 week they send you a letter with your PIN.

That was with BKK bank, 2 years ago. Witnessing the procedure I thought there was no way a tourist could get through it.

May have changed - don't know.

I would like to use internet banking. so which bank have internet banking service for tourist?

Before thinking about internet banking, you should ask what bank will alllow you to open an account as a tourist.

I am pretty sure the choice is very limited, if any...

Before thinking about internet banking, you should ask what bank will alllow you to open an account as a tourist.

I am pretty sure the choice is very limited, if any...

siam commercial bank (thonglor branch bangkok) open account for tourists - just hand over your passport. And i've heard quite a few others open non-residents savings accounts, including bangkok bank. As for internet banking, they may not let you have that until your account has been active for a while, but if you deposit a large sum, i'm pretty sure they give you the lot, including credit cards, internet banking etc. at the end of the day, banks are businesses and they are there to make money.

personal experience with BKK bank: no problem setting up passbook account including ATM card. Minimal paperwork. Show passport. Total time spent in the bank: appprox 45 minutes.

Internet banking only available to residents or foreigners with workpermit. (don't know about retirement visa holders)

• 3 weeks later...
How about (Bank of Asia)  (Kasikorn Bank) internet banking?

Is it necessary to have work permit to use internet banking?

and would like to know  whether work permit is neseccary to use internet banking of bangkok bank or not ?

I think that once you have the bank account, Internet banking is not a problem anymore.

At Bank of Asia, it was simply going to their website, and activating it, using the ATM card number. No paperwork involved :o Couldn't be easier

:o

Bangkok Bank has it but how comprehensive I can't say.  Be sure you have an English speking staff member set up the account and the internet application at the same time and make it clear no internet access, no account.

I had all my accounts there and filled out all the applications to make them internet accessible.  I can't even remember the rediculous reason they gave me for why I couldn't get it, something like I hadn't set up the accounts right.  I am no longer with them.

:D

I have an account in Bangkok Bank....My undestanding is they make it very clear in their web site is that access to internet banking is only available to those with other than a tourist visa....they want to see visa or residency before they allow you to get password to access your account via internet. No problem getting into their web site...but no go in getting password unless you reside in Thailand and have either residence or a visa that allows you to stay long-term (not tourist).

Edited by IMA_FARANG

From experience, I would also have to say Bangkok Bank.  Plus they have a branch in New York, funds transfer for US citizens is easy as pie.

I transfered a sum of money between Washington Mutual Bank in the US and that was a huge pain in the ass - long transfer time, high fees, etc. How exactly does the 'easy as pie' transfer work between BB and an American bank?

Thanks in advance.

From experience, I would also have to say Bangkok Bank.  Plus they have a branch in New York, funds transfer for US citizens is easy as pie.

I transfered a sum of money between Washington Mutual Bank in the US and that was a huge pain in the ass - long transfer time, high fees, etc. How exactly does the 'easy as pie' transfer work between BB and an American bank?

Thanks in advance.

I do a regular wire transfer between my state-side bank and Bangkok Bank. Cost is $15 wire xfer fee at U.S. bank and takes 24 to 48 hours depending on what day I start transfer. You just need BB account number, account name, and ABA number of Bangkok Bank. Like someone said, it goes thru New York. No fee at recieve end (as long as it stays Baht). Don't know about converting to foreign currency (not Baht) in Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

I do a regular wire transfer between my state-side bank and Bangkok Bank. Cost is $15 wire xfer fee at U.S. bank and takes 24 to 48 hours depending on what day I start transfer. You just need BB account number, account name, and ABA number of Bangkok Bank. Like someone said, it goes thru New York. No fee at recieve end (as long as it stays Baht). Don't know about converting to foreign currency (not Baht) in Thailand.

Would you please give us a date and the exchange rate you received? You should normally send your home currency and have it exchanged to baht in Thailand for the best exchange rate AFAIK.

Are you sure Bangkok Bank has an ABA number? Care to share it?

Believe you may be saving foreign wire transfer free but paying back with a poor exchange rate but would like to be proven wrong. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I recently signed the rental agreement for an apartment in Chiang Mai. Although still a 30 day tourist, I had no problems with opening an account at Siam Commercial Bank and was handed my ATM card and Internet login in a matter of minutes. The fund transfer from home took about a week, and charges were low, a couple hundred baht based on interchange rate.

SCB internet banking looks elegant and easy to understand. The only problem: I cannot use it for my rental payments because my landlord is with Khrung Thai Bank and the two banks don't seem to do business with one another. No have. Khrung Thai, on the other hand, refused to open an account for me because I have no work permit (vide supra). How could get one? I am retired and would only like to spend part of my money here. Back to square one.

Tomorrow I'll make a cash withdrawal and pay half a year's rent in advance. Just hope I will be able to understand the receipt and won't have any nightmares.

I recently signed the rental agreement for an apartment in Chiang Mai. Although still a 30 day tourist, I had no problems with opening an account at Siam Commercial Bank and was handed my ATM card and Internet login in a matter of minutes. The fund transfer from home took about a week, and charges were low, a couple hundred baht based on interchange rate.

SCB internet banking looks elegant and easy to understand. The only problem: I cannot use it for my rental payments because my landlord is with Khrung Thai Bank and the two banks don't seem to do business with one another. No have. Khrung Thai, on the other hand, refused to open an account for me because I have no work permit (vide supra). How could get one? I am retired and would only like to spend part of my money here. Back to square one.

Tomorrow I'll make a cash withdrawal and pay half a year's rent in advance. Just hope I will be able to understand the receipt and won't have any nightmares.

SCB allows inter-bank transfers at their ATMs. Internet banking only allows transfers intra-bank.

I filled out all the paperwork for all four of my accounts, only the main account ended up on the internet web site after two weeks.

It is now two weeks after that two weeks and a whole new set of documents delivered to my branch, two calls to the service center and a promise that next week the other accounts will end up on the web page. Time will tell.

My accounts are joint with my Thai so that might be giving them more problems than a single falang account. Likewise three branches are involved which may also hinder them some. They indicate verifications of all signatures must occur at each branch before it is approved.

Persistence will be rewarded, I trust. Time will tell.

I live near a small village about 50 km south west of Khampaeng Phet and use the local branch of Kasikorn bank. I have a support visa for my wife but no work permit or retirement visa.

I applied to the local branch for internet banking and downloaded the form in English from the Kasikorn website. They did the paperwork in about 20 minutes and it took about 4 days for the pin codes etc to come through.

Be aware that you can only get internet access on your own account and not on a joint account. However when you are active you should be able to access and read any accounts you have and possibly do any normal bank transfers etc but only in Thailand. It may be possible in the future to transfer money internationally but I cannot even do that on my offshore account yet. :o

We use or B.B internet service from here in the Smoke but cannot transfer dosh.(via ebank)

No problem in paying bills -Electricity,water etc.but as said no £££ transfer.(maybe one day)

What I do if neccessary is a internal transfer to my Bangkok Nationwide account in Sam.Prat.(adopted daughters got NW card)and she does withdrawal from inside B.Bank and then just feeds the notes into my Bangers Bank a/c and and then I can switch and pay.(max Bt 30,000 per withdraw a day.)

Bangkok Bank in the city (london)will do a 3-5 day transfer of £5k for £15.

• 3 weeks later...

I opened Bangkok Bank savings and deposit accounts whilst on a tourist visa some years back, and was issued an ATM card straight away. I did own a condo - but I don’t know if that was relevant or not. I added ‘Bua luang’ internet banking last year, still with no long-stay visa and no hassles.

I’ve heard that things have tightened up post-9/11, since the banks are becoming more sensitive to money laundering regulations. Suggest just go in to a branch, be well-dressed and polite, speak a bit of Thai, make friends with the manager or his deputy, then anything is possible. Same as anything else in Thailand, really :o

That said, Bua Luang is not so great. To pay bills the recipient’s account must first be registered by filling in a form at the branch, then waiting a week or so for confirmation. That’s fine for regular payments, but not for one-off payments to new recipients, without going personally to your branch, which renders it pointless since you might as well just do an immediate inter-bank transfer.

Also, internet banking apparently cannot be set up for business accounts.

Good luck!