Bangkok Airways

I arrived at Samui airport this morning e-ticket in hand for a flight to Hong Kong. At check-in they asked to see the actual credit card I used to purchase the ticket. I didn't have it so he wasn't going to let me use the e-ticket. I woud have to purchase a new ticket and get a refund for the original ticket at a later date. That's when I raised my voice for the first time to a Thai in the year plus I had been there. He exlpained that - for some reason still unclear to me - that it's not allowed to purchase a ticket with someone else's credit card. I asked what if I wanted to give someone a ticket as a gift and he said I would have to make copies of the front and back of the card and have the ticket bearer present it at check-in along with a signed letter from me stating that I had bought the ticket for someone else. <deleted>?!

Anyway, I told the guy I could log into my credit card account online at a nearby desk and show him that I did in fact buy the ticket myself. I did that, they printed a copy which I had to sign. I made sure there was nothing private or confidential on it first. :o

He issued me a boarding pass and apologised. I told him no problem as long as I make my plane. As I was walking away, he called me back and gave me a new boarding pass. They had changed my seat from row 17 to row 2. Now, there is no real business or 1st class section with larger seats on the plane, but I got to move up to the first row which I had all to myself which gave me the much needed leg room.

OK, so they made me feel good after irritating the hel_l out of me. I'm happy. But this year alone I've used e-tickets at check-in at least 8 other times without having to show a credit card. Half of that time was on Bangkok Airways. Has anyone else here had to show a credit card along with an e-ticket?

If you are purchasing an air ticket in the name of someone who is not the credit card holder you are likely to find this is standard practise with most airlines. As you had an e-ticket I assume you purchased the ticket via the Bangkok Airways website which has a section entitled "the restrictions of credit card payment" which explains fully what you were told at the airport. This appears on the home page and cannot be missed. In future I suggest you check the rules before "raising your voice" and relying on the fact that it was OK before !

If you are purchasing an air ticket in the name of someone who is not the credit card holder you are likely to find this is standard practise with most airlines. As you had an e-ticket I assume you purchased the ticket via the Bangkok Airways website which has a section entitled "the restrictions of credit card payment" which explains fully what you were told at the airport. This appears on the home page and cannot be missed. In future I suggest you check the rules before "raising your voice" and relying on the fact that it was OK before !

Read my post again. This is the first time out of 5 times total I was asked for the card. Four of those 5 times I had bought my ticket from their website.

-- And, I think that announcement prominently featured on their site is a recent addition. I bought my ticket on Sept 26 and don't remember seeing it.

Edited by koheesti

I totally disagree with all posters (except maybe op) in this thread!

I been flying all across Europe for the last five years on e-tickets payed by my boss (sas, britich airways, finnair, lufthansa). Never, ever was i asked anything else than my passport. I Thailand i´ve booked and payed for approx 20 tickets for my wife( bangkok airways, thaiairways) and she never was asked anything else but her passport either. I find the way op got threat here is extremely rare.

But then again they at least had the god taste of "upgrading" him after the incident. That would not be the case in Europe! :o

Thai Airways always requires the credit card to be shown at the first leg of the journey. It has been like that for ages.

Yes, also Bangkok Airways web site site say the same.

But, no airline has never asked for my credit card, and I made at least 400k miles on the last ten years......

BKK Airways is not cheap but they do everything needed, change flight if I arrive late, put me on a early flight if early.

With other airlines I would ended up buying again the ticket, apart the case when every flight is on the same ticket.

Does anyone know the reason for needing to see the credit card used to purchase the ticket? Or why you can't simply buy a ticket for someone else without all that documentation (copies of card, signed letter)? Is it security related (terrorist! :o )? Or maybe they think the card was stolen? Is there any other type purchase we make where showing the receipt/ticket isn't enough and the card is needed? I can't see ordering something online and upon delivery they won't give it to you until you show the actual card used at purchase.

I've always been asked for credit card for E tickets, being BKK Air ,Thai or Singapore airlines.It is one of the requirements,clearly stated on all their websites.Not being asked for it,is just to me the checking in clerk not doing his /her job & not a reflection on the requirements.

I have flown Samui-Bangkok over 20 times and have NEVER been asked for a credit card on check-in. In fact, long ago I was booking at an agency that used it's company credit card for the purchase.

Clearly, someone new in management has seen fit to enforce rules that for the most part, are immaterial. Or, it could be that the check-in person was new and thought that toeing the line was being professional.

Hope this helps:

"For all tickets paid for by credit card over the Internet or by phone, airlines reserve the right to inspect the credit card and require the cardholder's signature when you check in. Because airlines only make occasional spot checks of credit cards, most people don't realize that this is possible. Many people purchase e- tickets for family members or business associates as a way to avoid the cost and risk of mailing tickets. But there's a risk in this: If someone else pays for e-tickets, and isn't present with their credit card when you check in, or if you buy your own tickets but don't have the credit card you used with you when you check in, you will be denied boarding unless you can come up with alternate payment on the spot. This isn't required with paper tickets. Spot checks of credit cards used to pay for e-tickets are rare, but they do happen. I've seen some very distraught travelers being turned away from flights paid for as e-tickets by spouses, colleagues, or other people who weren't there to show their credit card and sign a charge slip when they tried to check in"

Sorry, but this is a known fact!

Happened to me several times.

Even it might seems a bit "off" but it's the rules!

If one buys his ticket at ANY other outlet and pays with a credit card or cash card a normal ticket is issued and no more questions asked!

It's just as is....

well i guess its to do with possible fraud,cos its possible when BKK AIRWAYS go to claim the money owed to them from credit card co.they could refuse payment if fraud had taken place,but it does appear the checks are random and not enforced every time.

Aside from this blip i love flying with them(they are like airlines used to be 30 years ago when they were priviledged to have us as customers)

Ju st love the new airport on Samui and the free food and drinks(yes i know airfares are dear compared to air asia)but they are a joy to travel with.

It was common a while back, not sure now, for criminals to make money opening 'bucket shops' in the UK selling cheap air fares. They would use stolen credit card numbers to book the flights online and take cash from the punters buying the flights, it's easy money and nobody finds out until a few weeks later the first traveller turns up to the airport. I fly a lot, and I have been asked to show my credit card occasionally both on BKK air and in Europe at checkin - never a problem as I always have my credit cards with me. There are credit card rules that state the credit card holder must be one of the travelling party, the exceptions are coporate credit cards used to book travel for employees. Right now I'm to and from Singapore every week, I get asked for the credit card maybe 10% of the time and for a return flight out of Thailand maybe 60% of the time so it really might be up to the guy on checkin.

And for those of you who don't know, you can check www.samuiairportonline.com to see the status of flight departures and arrivals, saves you getting to the airport too early.

It's even stated on the booking and payment confirmation which you get via email, so I don't know what the problem is. If you can read, you should have known! :o

For the payment with Visa Card (Non Verified by Visa) and Master Card (Non Secure Code), passenger(s) must be one of the travellers on the itinerary, and required to provide the credit card used for online payment and valid identification (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to received boarding passes. Passenger who failed to show the valid identification will be denied upon check-in

It's even stated on the booking and payment confirmation which you get via email, so I don't know what the problem is. If you can read, you should have known! :o

For the payment with Visa Card (Non Verified by Visa) and Master Card (Non Secure Code), passenger(s) must be one of the travellers on the itinerary, and required to provide the credit card used for online payment and valid identification (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to received boarding passes. Passenger who failed to show the valid identification will be denied upon check-in

True, it is on there. But my transactions are always verified by Visa or done with my MasterCard secure code so it doesn't apply to me

----

BTW - is also says, "Check in: at least 1.00 hour for domestic route or 2.00 hour for international route prior to departure time. ". And I've always gone about an hour ahead of time with no problems. In fact, I went early in Penang and the check-in desk didn't even open until 90 mintues before the flight.

Edited by koheesti

It's even stated on the booking and payment confirmation which you get via email, so I don't know what the problem is. If you can read, you should have known! :D

True, it is on there. But my transactions are always verified by Visa or done with my MasterCard secure code so it doesn't apply to me

----

BTW - is also says, "Check in: at least 1.00 hour for domestic route or 2.00 hour for international route prior to departure time. ". And I've always gone about an hour ahead of time with no problems. In fact, I went early in Penang and the check-in desk didn't even open until 90 mintues before the flight.

Yeah, there are many rules. Agree the check-in time rule is not either followed, and as you say sometimes check in desk in not even open til late. Bothers me bigtime. I always go early to not have to rush it, but i end up sitting and waiting for check in to open and more often gate to come up at the screen, and then i still have to run like a idiot.

The criditcard thing i never heard of til now. Surpriced it is in fact a rule sprecified on the homepage. I must have been very lucky. A always buy my wife´s tickets with my creditcard and she never had to show anything except passport. Same with my Europeflights, although some of them where in my sas card, witch sometimes where use to pay for the ticket. But i always only had to show passport nothing else. Very strange! :o

There is a lot of credit card fraud going on in Thailand. Credit card details are stolen from farangs stying here and used to purchase tickets online. By having the passenger show the credit card upon check-in, this can't happen anymore.

Yes it is inconvenient but it makes buying tickets online safer. So we should all support it.

• 1 month later...

Oh no! I am so stressed now!! My boyfriends brother paid for our bangkok airways tickets for us from phuket to ko samui. The payment has gone through but as it is his credit card we will not be able to bring it with us and he isn't on the flight.

My boyfriend has the same last name so do you think it would be ok? I very worried the won't let us on the flight now :o Not sure what to do, I'm just going to risk it, hope they don't ask but as a back up bring a photocopy of his brother's licence and a letter approving the use of his card???

HELP!!

If you live in Thailand and book via the internet you are given the option to pay within about 24 hours , which you can do in cash - Credit card is not needed .

It was explained to me that if the person who made the booking was not one of the travellers and the ticket had not been paid for by cash ,as above , that payment would be asked for before the flight and that the credit card would then be refunded .

I think fair enough ?

Oh no! I am so stressed now!! My boyfriends brother paid for our bangkok airways tickets for us from phuket to ko samui. The payment has gone through but as it is his credit card we will not be able to bring it with us and he isn't on the flight.

My boyfriend has the same last name so do you think it would be ok? I very worried the won't let us on the flight now :o Not sure what to do, I'm just going to risk it, hope they don't ask but as a back up bring a photocopy of his brother's licence and a letter approving the use of his card???

HELP!!

Don't worry ! They will let you on the flight but may ask you to pay , in which case they will refund your boyfriend's brothers card .

I totally disagree with all posters (except maybe op) in this thread!

I been flying all across Europe for the last five years on e-tickets payed by my boss (sas, britich airways, finnair, lufthansa). Never, ever was i asked anything else than my passport. I Thailand i´ve booked and payed for approx 20 tickets for my wife( bangkok airways, thaiairways) and she never was asked anything else but her passport either. I find the way op got threat here is extremely rare.

But then again they at least had the god taste of "upgrading" him after the incident. That would not be the case in Europe! :o

The practise is STANDARD ! for most airlines, my brother purchased a ticket for me, and he had to go into the singapore airlines office to prove he purchased the ticket.. this minimises fraud and chargebacks, this is really normal..

Even in china, all airlines request the same, like Qantas.....

The practise is STANDARD ! for most airlines, my brother purchased a ticket for me, and he had to go into the singapore airlines office to prove he purchased the ticket.. this minimises fraud and chargebacks, this is really normal..

Even in china, all airlines request the same, like Qantas.....

I didn't have to show my credit card when I bought a ticket on Bangkok Air returning to Samui from Hong Kong last week.

I didn't have to show my credit card when I bought a ticket on United from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City in November.

----

I had the same problem, seems their system doesnt show or track whether the card is verified or not as the card we used was and still showed up non verified in their system. It did mean as 3 of us had booked and only two could go that we got a full refund for the 3 tickets and only had to purchase two which they still gave at the same price.

• 3 weeks later...

note this requirement only applied when you book directly with the airline online or over the phone. if you use an agent you can buy your friends tickets. it is assumed the agent has verified the card. if you go to the airline office to make booking for your friend, you can do that too

I have gone through the entire photocopy process, card, passport, signature letter etc while picking up tickets for myself my daughter and my wife.

daughter and i went down a week ealry, my card info was left "on file" to ensure the wife had no problems. i got the name of the woman who took the info.

one week later my wife was turned away at 6 am. the contact was unreachable, the peole at the desk said they could not help and i spent an hour yelling down the phone to no avail. my wife went home and flew the next day. one day of her week vacation shot.

i dont even want to talk about how our return flight was delayed 4 hours without so much as a warning or apology.

bkk air. they make me rabid.

btw: they also made me verify again for the return journey.

Edited by t.s