Bank Letter For Extension Of Stay

I’m with the Siam commercial bank and joined at the beach road in Jomtien.

My retirement visa was due last July so I called into the S/C branch in Soi Khaotalo to obtain a letter verifying my account details and was told the letter for immigration can only be issued at my joining branch.

That’s the second year running I tried that one in the S/C branch in Soi Khaotalo and both times they refused.

Hope that helps

My retirement visa was due last July so I called into the S/C branch in Soi Khaotalo to obtain a letter verifying my account details and was told the letter for immigration can only be issued at my joining branch.

That’s the second year running I tried that one in the S/C branch in Soi Khaotalo and both times they refused.

Hope that helps

Yes, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

It depends on the immigration official, but usually they do not accept a joint account unless it has double the required amount in it.

--

Maestro

Probably completely correct on depends on the official. I have used a joint account for the last 3 years in Jomtien for my retirement extensions. First time they did require that I had the original and copy of marriage certificate, but last 2 years I took the original and copies and wasn't asked again. They haven't required me to have double the 800,000 YET, but who knows what tomorrow may bring?

I have just extended my visa for a futher year (Retirement).

At the branch of BB where I opened the account a long time ago I got my confirmation letter and the guy told me that I can now apply for the letter at any branch, he also said that I can obtain new passbooks at any branch and that from next year the BOT has instructed banks to scrap the inter-province charges that are currently applied. There will, however, be no scrapping of the inter-bank charges.

When I applied at Chiang Mai Immigration I was not allowed to use my joint account with my wife as the officer said that I had to have at least 1,600,000 baht in the account (as stated by Maestro). This was the same officer that had accepted the funds in this same account last year on production of the marriage certificate. I re-visited the bank, transfered money into a sole account in my name, got a new letter and re-applied. The officer said he would accept it this year, but he would not accept it in the future unless the funds had been in the sole account for 3 months seasoning.

This is, of course, only my experience. I have lived here long enough to realise that at a different time with a different office, things may not be the same. TIT

Edited by delboy

Hope that helps

Same experience here SCB does not give the letter at other than the branch where you have the account

Krung Thai asks for a 1 day delay if you ask from another branch but it is possible

so I called into the S/C branch in Soi Khaotalo to obtain a letter verifying my account details and was told the letter for immigration can only be issued at my joining branch.

I certainly don't doubt what they told you -- but it almost sounds like this goat-rope dates back to when bank branches were independent entities........ (if that were ever the case.....?).

What if you'd told the bank branch manager you just wanted a letter confirming your deposit with S/C bank. Period (with no mention of Immigration). As your deposit is with the bank en masse, how could he not honor your request? I guess by mentioning "Immigration," some ancient understanding was conjured up.

Or maybe some branches of some banks are still independent.... I know Bangkok Bank sure isn't. When I wire money, it's to their main branch in Bangkok (the SWIFT address), even tho' the only Bangkok Bank branches I've ever been in are in Chiang Mai, including of course the branch where I opened my account.

I was in Korat last year when I needed the '800,000 Letter' for an account I hold in Chaiyaphum for a Retirement Extension.

Took a bit of complaining and standing my ground, but SCB Korat finally relented and produced the letter for me.

Sound as though SCB have a fairly strict policy on this, so will make sure in future that I have the funds where I need the letter.

Maybe the main SCB branch in Bangkok will issue a letter on behalf of one of their country branches, not sure?

Edited by fishhooks

• 7 months later...

Can anyone say how long it takes to get a confirmation letter? Is it same day service or do you have to come back later? I know Immigration want the bank letter to be current. I am at Kasikorn Bank.

Can anyone say how long it takes to get a confirmation letter? Is it same day service or do you have to come back later? I know Immigration want the bank letter to be current. I am at Kasikorn Bank.

In my experience they do it while you wait.

Thanks for this. It is my first time. I am retired and living with my fiancee. I have just seen "Reason for Extension" on the TM7 form. What sort of stuff do you guys write? Is it sufficient just to put "Retired". I'm on an OA non immigrant visa.

Thanks for this. It is my first time. I am retired and living with my fiancee. I have just seen "Reason for Extension" on the TM7 form. What sort of stuff do you guys write? Is it sufficient just to put "Retired". I'm on an OA non immigrant visa.

Retirement.

Are you on a single or multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa.

It would depend on the bank/brach whether or not they would provide the letter.

Some banks may require certain things be done at brach where account was opened,

Agreed

I do not think immigration will mind at all,

it is up to the bank.

Retirement.

It's a multi-entry Non Imm O_A Visa, originally expired July 2008 but I got a one-off extension to July 2009 by doing a border run last year.

Retirement.

It's a multi-entry Non Imm O_A Visa, originally expired July 2008 but I got a one-off extension to July 2009 by doing a border run last year.

Ok as you were. Apply for the extension at Immigration for Retirement.

I only asked because some people with Multi Entries are not aware that they can get another 12 months.

Retirement.

Ok as you were. Apply for the extension at Immigration for Retirement.

I only asked because some people with Multi Entries are not aware that they can get another 12 months.

It was thanks to you guys that I became aware!