Stainless Stell Water Tank Is Leaking

thedi

I have a 4000 liter stainless steel water tank which we use to keep our drinking water in. After 3 years without problems, it starts to leak now: about 5 to 10 liter a day sicker out from a leak which is hidden behind its feets.

Does any body know where such a stainless steel water tank can be repaired?

BTW: I leave near Manchakiri, 50 km south-west from KKC. So a repair shop in Khon Kaen or nearby provinces would help me - not one in Bangkok.

Thanks for any suggestions

Thedi

I have a 4000 liter stainless steel water tank which we use to keep our drinking water in. After 3 years without problems, it starts to leak now: about 5 to 10 liter a day sicker out from a leak which is hidden behind its feets.

Does any body know where such a stainless steel water tank can be repaired?

BTW: I leave near Manchakiri, 50 km south-west from KKC. So a repair shop in Khon Kaen or nearby provinces would help me - not one in Bangkok.

Thanks for any suggestions

Thedi

Hi Thedi

I really have little to contribute---- so I waited to see if someone more knowledgeable than I could offer assistance. My own tank started leaking after about 2 years & the advice I was given was that the leaks were due to corrosion ( yes---in stainless steel ).

The s/s is very thin and would not respond well to welding ---- corroding more & faster afterwards. It was suggested that spraying

the area inside the tank around the leak---or perhaps all around the lower section of the tank ---- with a water proofing polymer paint would do the trick. This material is usually used to seal concrete water tanks & is suitable for drinking water. If my memory serves correctly the material is a light grey colour. I considered this option----but chose to replace the tank with a 'polly" one with a 20 yr guarentee.

sadly cannot offer anything further----tig

sadly cannot offer anything further----tig

Thanks tig - your answer does help me.

I think I will buy a new tank Then I will try to repair the old tank with a paint or spray and use it as a second tank. The additional 4000 liter will be welcome in a long dry period.

In the old house we used tanks made of cement: about 20'000 liters in two big tanks. We thought the water is OK to drink - until we had the stainless steel tanks. The difference is remarkable. Water from a stainless steel tank tasts much fresher.

How are poyester tanks? Is the water tasty - I mean - rather not tasting like plastic?

Regards

Thedi

I have posted previously as have many other Forum members on the Pro's and Con's of various water tank materials. I have been happy with the taste of the water we drink via two 2000 liter DIAMOND BRAND Sandstone POLYETHYLENE tanks. I paid 9000 baht delivered for each of these tanks and recently had one sent to my in laws home in a village for the rain water collection they drink. DOS sells water tanks of many grades including this grade of Polyethylene. This is one of the items in Thailand that is EASY to compare prices.

Hi Thedi

No one living here made any adverse comments re taste of the water after changing. The tank we purchased was DORIC (by advanced) which visually is similar to the DIAMOND brand mentioned by K2. The appearance of these "sandstone" polly tanks is more appealing to me than the blue types which are more common.

all the best---tig

Back on the farm we used to use 'Pitch' (Gooie black tar) on our rain water tanks and an old paint brush. You should be able to poke it into the offending weld.

I agree with most here my rain water tank is a Blue Poly type, 6 years old now and will last forever -- oh well me anyway. Not a good report on the overpriced so called Stainless Steel tanks, 304 grade at best, BUT it's the non removed welding splatter during construction that causes the pin hole leaks after time.

Edit: I've seen SS tanks used by farang because of the taste issue and use blue pvc pipe to reticulate it??? Also never had a taste issue with my poly tank.

Edited by bdenner