Are Brunei Bank Notes Legal Tender In Singapore?

Captain Chaos

Brunei $10 notes are a very similar size and colour to Singapore $10 notes - and recently a couple of places (both harry's bars although I'm sure that's a coincidence :o ) have tried to pass them to me in my change - I hand them back and ask for a Sing Dollar note but now it's happened a couple of times, are these things actually legal in Singapore? Anyone know?

CC

Brunei $10 notes are a very similar size and colour to Singapore $10 notes - and recently a couple of places (both harry's bars although I'm sure that's a coincidence :o ) have tried to pass them to me in my change - I hand them back and ask for a Sing Dollar note but now it's happened a couple of times, are these things actually legal in Singapore? Anyone know?

CC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunei_dollar

The dollar is accepted as "customary tender" in Singapore according to the Currency Interchangeability Agreement,[1] although it is not legal tender there. Likewise, the Singapore dollar is customarily accepted in Brunei.

Whatever it means ...

i am from singapore and i understand the confusion abt receiving brunei dollars.

it is normal to get brunei dollars and in singapore, we treat it as same value. although, of course i understand abt the forex rates, its not exactly same. hence, if you are in singapore, its better that you use that brunei notes in singapore rather than change it to other currencies while you are back at your homeland. you shld be getting less than what sgd can get.

CC

You can spend them in Singapore but not everyone likes them. In a way they are a bit like 50 cent and $1 coins in the US, they are legal money but retailers don't like them because their cash register drawers have no dedicated slot for them.

Edited by OriginalPoster