Which Restaurant To Recommend For Rick Stein?

thaigerd

The only negative comments about this place will come from people who never been there (read: can't afford it)

Oooooo.....how snobby.

I've eaten there. Foods good, but, it falls down on the "value for money" criteria.

Also, most of the other diners are there more for "being seen" in the right place, rather than the food (in other words, other snobs).

Dude, seriously....."being seen"? Phuket isn't Beverly Hills, Knightsbridge or Park Avenue in order to be seen, especially not by kinds of you.

There are happy folks and insignificant unhappy others like yourself. One has to read your posts to realize you have some issues and posting on this forum makes you legend in your own mind. Phuket topics are littered by your unhelpfull remarks.

Back on topic:

Restaurant in question is not western just because westerners love to have a quiet and romantic dinner complimented by classy service. OP asked for nice place for highly rated celebrity chef TV show, not backpackers with Lonely Planet sticking outta back pocket.

The thing is CroBiker and Sir Burr...........this is a thread about which restaurant you think a TV chef should visit. It gets overly long and significantly off-topic when posters add little to the thread, rather, preferring to have a battle of one-up-man-ship against each other.. yes there is a scroll bar, but why should people have to scroll through all the extraneous shit.

Moderators - cull all the off-thread stuff please and consider sending warnings out.

Back on topic then eh.

It depends on what the great man Stein wants from his TV prog. I'd respectfully suggest that places like Mom Tri are just too 'normal' looking to western TV audiences. Arriving on a longtail boat to the floating fish restaurants off the east coast would, in my view, make much better TV.

Thats my suggestion. It would also bring in some recognition and maybe a little more custom to those reasonably unfashionable restaurants. Mom Tri's is busy enough as it is !

***Edit** CroBiker** you posted "sure man, you win" just before i posted. Now, that is the correct gentlemanly way to post!

Edited by markg

not backpackers with Lonely Planet sticking outta back pocket.

Would depend on what angle the show is hitting.. To cover established restaurants with a wine menu and the 'established scene' or to cover the raw energy of simple street foods and travel show / food show.. Really knowing his style and other stuff he has done it could be either way.

A month or two ago someone lent me his BBC cookbook for seafood and quite frankly I never opened it... Since this thread I figured I would have a look (cracked a nice bottle of bordeaux too) and dam_n it has my mouth watering, trip to the wet market tomorrow to have a bash. And thats from a flame grilled BBQ only kinda cook. Also helpful in has whole appendixes for fish identification, and substitutions etc..

Rick Stein is coming to Phuket very soon and he is looking for "that special restaurant" where he can make a report for his TV show.

The place must have some kind of history, something grazy or somehow very special.

Whats your idea???

Thanks,

Gerd

He could start at the "Green Man" with his Fish & Chips followed by:-

It depends on what the great man Stein wants from his TV prog. <snip>

Arriving on a longtail boat to the floating fish restaurants off the east coast would, in my view, make much better TV. :D

Thats my suggestion. It would also bring in some recognition and maybe a little more custom to those reasonably unfashionable restaurants. :o

Would depend on what angle the show is hitting.. To cover established restaurants with a wine menu and the 'established scene' or to cover the raw energy of simple street foods and travel show / food show.. Really knowing his style and other stuff he has done it could be either way.

So to "thaigerd",

In a nutshell please tell us. :D What is it that he is after. You know most notable of the places in Phuket as I also know, but for something like "Unseen in Phuket" mentioned above by "markg" and "LivinLOS" makes more sence than the "something grazy" as you said.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I know a restaurant which is full of character! They operate a 'not-just-in-time' inventory system which means that they have to run around to the 7/11 every time a customer asks for a glass of wine. The staff (who have been there for years) still cannot understand basic English), and the owner likes to sleep all day on a sofa in the middle of the restaurant whilst customers eat around her...

On second thoughts, maybe I will not recommend it :o

... been one of those days again ...

Simon

I know a restaurant which is full of character! They operate a 'not-just-in-time' inventory system which means that they have to run around to the 7/11 every time a customer asks for a glass of wine. The staff (who have been there for years) still cannot understand basic English), and the owner likes to sleep all day on a sofa in the middle of the restaurant whilst customers eat around her...

On second thoughts, maybe I will not recommend it :o

... been one of those days again ...

Simon

Pretty sure that I know the place you've mentioned, right Simon?

Gerd

So what is wrong with mentioning the Boathouse ? ITs got more history then most places..

There is also Mom Tri's Kitchen.

If you are a tourist or a rich Thai with money to throw around then you end up in places like The Boathouse, Mom Tri's, Baan Rim Pa, Joe's Downstairs, their newest edition of way overpriced Chinese, Hung Fats.

I have eaten at Mom tri's and The Boathouse more than one time, and although the presentation of the food and the views are very nice, just too ostentatious for my tastes. I've got the money, do I want to spend it there? No.

Kan Eang II would also get my vote, Thai Food just as good if not better (fresher) than the Boathouse, and you'll still have the shirt on your back when you leave.

Actually, on the sand at Rawaii beach is quite good too, but I can't see old Stein lying on a mat under the stars.

Thanks for all your replies!

At the end Rick Stein will decide which restaurant it will be.

I will let you know..........after he has been there.

Gerd

So it is a secret then.When he is coming that is.

It's more than likely already decided where he is going to go.

Just sounds like a bit of name dropping and publicity for Stein to me

An american chef named Andrew Zimmern, who is known for eating strange foods. Did his season opener from Phuket. He showed what unusual items the locals eat. He went to a shop that made fish belly sauce. Then picked out red ant larve from a swarm living in trees. Caught small lizards and grilled them. Boiled some large snails. And went to a cashew farm to show how each one was opened one by one by hand, and mixed with different spices.

Anyone know this restuarant? (Snail video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7K36i8B4c

meandwi

An american chef named Andrew Zimmern, who is known for eating strange foods. Did his season opener from Phuket. He showed what unusual items the locals eat. He went to a shop that made fish belly sauce. Then picked out red ant larve from a swarm living in trees. Caught small lizards and grilled them. Boiled some large snails. And went to a cashew farm to show how each one was opened one by one by hand, and mixed with different spices.

Anyone know this restuarant? (Snail video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7K36i8B4c

meandwi

Looks like the restaurants off of Laem Hin Pier to me................

And that snail actually looks kind of good, I'll have to go try that !

So what is wrong with mentioning the Boathouse ? ITs got more history then most places..

If you are a tourist or a rich Thai with money to throw around then you end up in places like The Boathouse, Mom Tri's, Baan Rim Pa, Joe's Downstairs, their newest edition of way overpriced Chinese, Hung Fats.

I have eaten at Mom tri's and The Boathouse more than one time, and although the presentation of the food and the views are very nice, just too ostentatious for my tastes. I've got the money, do I want to spend it there? No.

Kan Eang II would also get my vote, Thai Food just as good if not better (fresher) than the Boathouse, and you'll still have the shirt on your back when you leave.

Actually, on the sand at Rawaii beach is quite good too, but I can't see old Stein lying on a mat under the stars.

I dont think 4,000 baht for a couple or even 4 people having a meal makes you rich.. It is what it is, a nicer environment with nice views, better choices and usually better service..

I would choose Mon Tris out the bunch myself.. The service is superb and the food excellent.

On the "lower end", i would also look at Thammachart in Phuket Town or even Phuket View up on the hill in sarm kong. Keneang 1 and 2 are ok for the price on the beach..

They just hired a new Chef to oversee all the restaurants.. the first Maitre Cuisinier de France to be working in Thailand. The menu at MOm Tri's Kitchen as already seen some great improvements.

Mom Tri's kitchen and Boathouse in some way symbolize Phuket gastronomical scene. Their wine cellar was voted best in region if not in Asia for number of years. They have some awesome chefs and service is top notch. I assume Rick Stein's program would be some kind of promotional tour of Phuket too, what better location then these restaurants right at the beach with awesome ocean view day or night. The only negative comments about this place will come from people who never been there (read: can't afford it)

On another note, question is if they would be interested in having Rick Stein at all.

Thanks Crobiker,

nearly agree with all your comments.

Rick's team has already decided where their "homebase" will be.

Looking forward to meet him.

The Boathouse is a great place, for sure!!!

Not cheap, but you'll get what you pay for, easy.....

Once in a while I like to take out my wife/friends for a great meal.

More on this next couple of days.

Gerd

I will go there next week for having a lunch or dinner.

I think he would love it. I remember one programme he went to the cockle sheds at Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, England. For those that don't know, this is a real cheap and cheerful place but nice cockles :o .

BTW Gerd, on November 6th Mom Tri's Oasis is scheduled for official opening. Invitations only as far as I know.

Let me just say that I have no commercial or any other affiliation with this place, just another happy customer.

May be we get invited???

Would like to meet their new French Chef.

Gerd