I Just Love The Greenback

What a difference a year makes.

Getting paid in $US was a very painfull ecperience last year.

I would watch the greenback value falling against just about every currency in the world week after week after week.

Only 3 months ago I was in Australia on holiday and got nearly 1:1 for my $US. Now if I TT'd US$100k over there I would get AUD$150k. Sweet.

But look at the situation now...

The pound is in freefall and the euro is a basket case.

I just love greenback :o The currency all others are measured by.

I just knew she would climb back to her rightfull spot if we waited long enough.

God bless America.

Long live the Allmighty dollar.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enjoy it while you can.

There are, however, some things The Smartest Man wouldn't touch. They happen to be the assets the investing masses have flocked to in this crisis: U.S. Treasuries and the greenback. "I don't think it can hold for that much longer." Once the world has to absorb trillions of dollars in new U.S. debt - watch out. In fact, he thinks the odds of the U.S. having its own currency crisis are "at least 30 per cent."

Enjoy it while you can.

There are, however, some things The Smartest Man wouldn't touch. They happen to be the assets the investing masses have flocked to in this crisis: U.S. Treasuries and the greenback. "I don't think it can hold for that much longer." Once the world has to absorb trillions of dollars in new U.S. debt - watch out. In fact, he thinks the odds of the U.S. having its own currency crisis are "at least 30 per cent."

What goes up must come down.

The dollar being propped up by the help packages must end at some stage, and the fictional money created by fractional banking replaced by fictional money from the Federal Reserve is just a very shortlived bandaid. The Americans are currently living on burrowed time and money and when that runs out the real financial crisis will start.

I guess everybody will wait until after the election to bring out the hurtful measures that must come to change the basics of a totally perverted market. And if they cannot be sold to Joe Public, the pain will be inflicted on him anyway, only much worse, by market adjustments.

Let's talk abouyt what a differnece a year makes in another years' time. :o

I'd rather have a weaker dollar than lost half the value of my assets in a year, thank you very much!

this happened to the majority of investors worldwide. only people without any assets did not lose :o

It is far from certain which way this thing breaks. Deflationary asset price drops, or Inflationary bubble land. Be careful what you wish for.

http://www.chartoftheday.com/20081024.htm?T

I would watch the greenback value falling against just about every currency in the world week after week after week.

Only 3 months ago I was in Australia on holiday and got nearly 1:1 for my $US. Now if I TT'd US$100k over there I would get AUD$150k. Sweet.

I just love greenback :o The currency all others are measured by.

I just knew she would climb back to her rightfull spot if we waited long enough.

God bless America.

God bless America :D "It is such a wonderful country, that is why I love in Thailand"

it is quite interesting how people demonstrate their ignorance and stupidity in this thread :o

Ignorance and stuidity are one thing, when they are fueled by the emotional response to nationalism / anti American sentiments they are something quite different.

I just love greenback :D The currency all others are measured by.

God bless America.

So the good old Americanos f the world economys and you find cause to bless america. Better not speak out loud outside your circle. However, it seems that you may be one of the more inteligent of your kind as you have a passport and probably know that China isnt the capitol of Burma.

Would any god really bless america - with its satanic rulers :o

"I'd rather have a weaker dollar than lost half the value of my assets in a year, thank you very much!"

Amen to this, I could not agree more!

It's not always an either/or proposition. Always remember both/neither are lurking as well.

I think I'm the fool who has been killed by the "both" category! :o

Strong $ is good for the world, and I think we have just seen the beginning of $ run like we haven't seen before. (Let the bulls have their day, week, month, and years)

of course we have seen and might still see a run. the run might last another few months... or much less! i hope Vic is right as i want to rake in more profits from my straight forward. but even now -being convinced that the $-strength will be with us for a while- i will not miss a single hour to check whether the tide turns. and that goes for my sleeping hours too having two mobile phones to wake me up by SMS or a call in case the tide turns sooner than i expect.

"I'd rather have a weaker dollar than lost half the value of my assets in a year, thank you very much!"

Amen to this, I could not agree more!

Half???? Sounds like you had all your 'eggs in one basket' then....

Grant you I was not as successful these last few months as I would have liked to have been but I surely did not loose 50% of my assets. My home in the USA is in a location that has only seen a 3-6% decline in value over these past few years....And for my 401K I have it equally distributed so that some gains balance out the losses... I do have other investments (foreign currencies and stocks) but they are not being hit drastically as hard as they could have been. Actually there are some stocks I have been buying recently in this downturn as I personally know how well their businesses are doing and I think they are at a bargain price...... But to loose 50% tells me someone is obviously not doing their homework or minding their assets very well.

Strong $ is good for the world, and I think we have just seen the beginning of $ run like we haven't seen before. (Let the bulls have their day, week, month, and years)

by the way Brit my late mother has taught me not to use dirty and abusive words when i am forced to listen to bullshit. so i refrain to comment on your statement "a strong dollar is good for the world" :o

by the way Brit my late mother has taught me not to use dirty and abusive words when i am forced to listen to bullshit. so i refrain to comment on your statement "a strong dollar is good for the world" :o

How about if we reword that statement to be "a US$ that doesn't collapse is good for the world", does it ring more true then?

Edited by OriginalPoster

How about if we reword that statement to be "a US$ that doesn't collapse is good for the world", does it ring more true then?

YES, it does!

I just love greenback :D The currency all others are measured by.

God bless America.

:D I'm an American too. I work in Greece. I also get paid in dollars, but pay my rent in Euros.

The last few months I've seen a lot of posts here telling us we are fools if we dont "get out of dollars".

Unfortunately, my American company insisted on paying me in Dollars,

But.....remember...NEVER GLOAT.

I can remember when I was working in Saudi Arabia back in the late 70"s or early 80's. I was on a flight from Boston to Heathrow to change planes for a flight to Jeddah. I read an article that talked about how the pound sterling was dropping to a new low. I think at that time it was about $1.10 for a pound. England was cheap for U.S. tourists

A couple years later the pound was back up over $1.40 and still climbing.

It could happen again.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

gallery_56543_983_35301.jpg

So besides the collapse of the housing markets, insolvency of financial institutions and the wiping out of pensions that were 'invested' in the stock market. What exactly is the basis of this strong Dollar trend?

Could it simply be 'too big to fail' ?

What exactly is the basis of this strong Dollar trend?

repatriation of dollars to the "homeland". american investors have since years invested dollars all over the world. they profited by a falling dollar and appreciation of virtually every offshore market and currency. besides that, billions of derivatives have to be settled in dollars which have to be bought in the market vs. all kinds of currencies (you name them, 99% of your guess applies).

but that phenomenon will last only a limited time (i have no freaking idea how long, so don't ask me). when the fat lady finally sings everybody will realise that the presently crowned emperor is "nekkid" and does not possess any clothes. till then we ride the wave, howl with the wolves and try to make a buck (or two). as simple as that :o

What exactly is the basis of this strong Dollar trend?

repatriation of dollars to the "homeland". american investors have since years invested dollars all over the world. they profited by a falling dollar and appreciation of virtually every offshore market and currency. besides that, billions of derivatives have to be settled in dollars which have to be bought in the market vs. all kinds of currencies (you name them, 99% of your guess applies).

but that phenomenon will last only a limited time (i have no freaking idea how long, so don't ask me). when the fat lady finally sings everybody will realise that the presently crowned emperor is "nekkid" and does not possess any clothes. till then we ride the wave, howl with the wolves and try to make a buck (or two). as simple as that :o

Additionally, Though it sounds high to me, I think I've read that something like 60% of S&P 500 companys revenues come from outside the United States. Seeing as how it usually takes a few years and not a few months for a major currency to find a bottom Their earnings numbers must be about to get hit hard. They are scrambling, I'm sure, to readjust their hedges and by the time they're done they might have to do it all over again. The volatility would not appear to be going away anytime soon.

Edited by lannarebirth

Hmmm, maybe because the US net worth(PPP) “PER CAPITA”trounces the EU. Yes, we do have much debt, but we also produce vast amounts of goods and services. Net worth is more important than debt. Basically we are substantially more wealthy than the EU per capita.

One of many sources to confirm the above fact.

http://www.finlandforthought.net/2006/12/0...old-eu-by-alot/

There are only a few counties in the EU that are even remotely comparable to the US in financial strength. Tiny Luxembourg is the only one I think that has a higher GDP per capita than the US. The US GDP growth also has trounced the EU countries over the last 10 years, 20 years, 30 years...

People need to start looking at the real numbers and even take it a step further and look at them relative to other factors such as GDP. Does Microsoft have more debt than the local book store? Numbers and relativity in most cases tell the real story and too many ignore this fact.

To add to your analogy; If the emperor is naked, what is going to happen to the emperor's subjects that have far less.