Bangkoks Sukumvit Road - How It's Changed Recently!

JimsKnight

I was getting driven to my favourite Hotel down in Siam Square, the Star Hotel. A very handy place for an overnight stay when waiting for travelling the next day.

I always prefer the Star as it's within 2 minutes of National Stadium BTS and has the cheapest rates in town (250 baht) while being clean and really nice.

Guess what? GONE (Demolished).

The closest thing to it nearby is the White Lodge, so i stayed there (500 baht a night).

Just got into Sukumvit after a 2 year gap and was amazed how it's changed.

Almost all the beer bars have vanished between Nana and soi Cowboy.

Country Road - GONE (Demolished)

Clinton Plaza - GONE (Demolished)

The markets lining the usual places are a lot less busy too.

On a plus/minus note there were a lot less hookers on the streets hassling people.

But I'm not really suprised, the downturn means less people with cash I guess.

They represented in many ways 'The Old Bangkok' which was more raw and vibrant, I'm not sure if I like this 'New Bangkok' I'm seeing, it seems even more shopping orientated somehow.

I was getting driven to my favourite Hotel down in Siam Square, the Star Hotel. A very handy place for an overnight stay when waiting for travelling the next day.

I always prefer the Star as it's within 2 minutes of National Stadium BTS and has the cheapest rates in town (250 baht) while being clean and really nice.

Guess what? GONE (Demolished).

The closest thing to it nearby is the White Lodge, so i stayed there (500 baht a night).

The markets lining the usual places are a lot less busy too.

On a plus/minus note there were a lot less hookers on the streets hassling people.

But I'm not really suprised, the downturn means less people with cash I guess.

They represented in many ways 'The Old Bangkok' which was more raw and vibrant, I'm not sure if I like this 'New Bangkok' I'm seeing, it seems even more shopping orientated somehow.

I hear ya. One of the charms of lower Sukhumvit IMO was being able to have a beer outside and watch the people go by.

But now all we have is new condos, hotels and office buildings everywhere. I am sure some tourists like walking from one t-shirt / dvd seller / tailor but really, more shopping and very little things to do to chill and relax. More shopping coming soon too with that one next to the BTS at Asok, we don't have enough malls between Emporium and Central World, Siam and not to forget, that monster they have planned for the Night Bazaar Area.

Oh well, at least I got to experience it the old way before the bulldozers and property speculators took hold. Chuwit Park anyone :o

More shopping coming soon too with that one next to the BTS at Asok, we don't have enough malls between Emporium and Central World, Siam and not to forget, that monster they have planned for the Night Bazaar Area.

The Night Bazaar plans really frustrate me. As you wrote, it is not as if there isn't a surfeit of malls. BUt the Bazaar fills one desparately needed niche. Tourists can shop for Thai-related souveniers without the crowded conditions on the street or within the reach of barkers for the sex bars on Patpong. (Not every family really wants their kids to look inside the open-doors of those bars.) Thais can find some nice art, religious or not. The beer garden is a nice place to relax and have w bite to eat wihle listenign to music (which beign outdoors, does not preclude a conversation in which you can actually hear the person with whom you are talking.) The puppet show is a nice piece of Thai culture. And small manufacturers can get their products in the hands of buyers who then export to the US or Europe.

I entertain a fair number of cusotmers who come to see our facility, and contrary to popular belief, not all want to go to the bars. The Night Bazaar offers a great alternative and has been a hit with everyone I have brought. When the Bazaar goes, I won't really have a decent alternative to which I can take my customers.

bonobo - have to agree with you - I sent quite a few tourist there and all have thoroughtly enjoyed the atmosphere. Easy to arrange a meet up at the beer garden so all can have a leisurely wander around or not. Staff are not pushy at the stalls and all over the place people are helpful.

I would say it's been more than a 2 year gap if Clinton Plaza was in operation on your last visit!!!

I would say it's been more than a 2 year gap if Clinton Plaza was in operation on your last visit!!!

Yes but not country road my friend. However, CP bit the dust 7 years ago. Funny I know where and when I all entertainment spots opened / closed - probably not a good sign. :o

• 5 weeks later...