California Wow Going Bust Like In Korea?

Visavis

I nearly joined California Wow on Sunday, very persuasive salesgirl and lifetime membership 14,999 plus 100 baht per year.

Just worried that the same fate may befall California Wow in Thailand as itdid in Korea where it went bankrupt but kept selling lifetime memberships till the last day.

Anyone know the score in Thailand?

I don't want to join a gym just before it closes

"A fitness center in Myeongdong in central Seoul was filled with its members Tuesday. They gathered not to burn calories but to vent their anger and rally against the club, which suddenly closed without prior notice.

They're moving to sue the luxury fitness franchise, whose Korean operations went under Monday, for reimbursement of their membership fees.

Three Seoul centers of California WOW Xperience (CWX), an offshoot of gym chain California Fitness, which has 22 clubs in Asia, suspended operations Monday morning, according to police. They defaulted on maturing debt amid fierce competition and excess business expansion, police officials said.

The three centers are located near Gangnam Station, Apgujeong-dong in southern Seoul and Myeongdong. The gym franchise gained popularity with personal trainers and celebrity members including pop star Rain and ``Barbie doll'' actress Han Chae-young.

Another club in Daegu was operating Tuesday morning but is expected to fold soon.

On the centers' doors was posted a note to members: ``Each club was forced to suspend operations as of April 14 due to rental debt. If you wait until reopening, we'll guarantee that you will be able to use the facility for the period remaining in your membership.''

No company officials were available for comment at the closed centers.

A staff member of the Daegu center said: ``We do not know what happened. Even our manager here learned about it Monday evening after a news report.''

Gym users opened Web sites to collectively demand the clubs refund their membership fees. The head of the franchise said via email to one of the sites that he would offer refunds but could not say when.

About 40,000 members plan to file a complaint against the fitness center head.

The victims claim the fitness club lured members into the centers by reducing fees even though it had decided to dishonor its debts. Lifetime membership, which was about 4 million won at first, recently dropped to around 1.2 million won.

``I paid for a lifetime membership at the Apgujeong club a week ago and it closed!'' a member with the ID ``cutebrit'' said on a Naver site for former members.

Don't do it unless you are

Deaf !.......

California (chug) Wow is as slimy as they get.. Yes they have good equipment but their business plan has zero customr service or satisfaction... I won't bother with my opinion of the *rsehole Canadian Manager.. But for decent service and a good training atmosphere I'd look elsewhere.. (unless you love overly loud music played at nightclub levels an only want to jog on a cardio machine) Hoping this noisy blight will close soon... Bring back the Beach Rd World Gym....!

I also joined California Wow recently after some searching for a gym in BKK.

I would say Cali is cheap and adaquate, with convenient locations. Its Silom branch is being renovated now.

You can not expect more from a fitness club without paying a lot more than Cali's price.

Edited by Scott123

I am a member and use it three times a week. It is convenient and has the equipment I need.

Is it perfect? No. Is the music too loud? Yes. But I get my workout in and do enjoy a little eye candy. I certainly hope it stays around without closing.

FOr the one in Korea, were there multiple locations in Korea?

49% of California Wow Thailand belongs to Major Cineplex and I can't imagine it will close. But as somebody said it would be nice to kick the axxxhole canadian manager out of Thailand...

Gyms selling cheap lifetime memberships have been closing everywhere in the world, but maybe not in Thailand.

To the OP, you should apply now and hope that they won't close within 2 years, then with such a cheap price you won't have lost any money compared to what you would have paid anywhere else in Thailand. And I guess in you home country this price is for 3 months membership, not for lifetime ;-)

It's clearly a money grab and they are going to go bust. I'd think most people would be happy paying around 10,000/year, and they seem to have enough people there that it would remain profitable. Their sales strategy has/will put them out of business, but I guess they have no choice as people must not be renewing due to the bad music they play, inside and outside, at high volume. When using my ipod, I realized that I had to set the volume so high it hurt when I was not in the gym. Management and staff don't care though, they'll just ask you if you want a lifetime membership if you bring it up. :o

This is a company which is knowingly permanently destroying the hearing of its employees. They know that occupational safety laws in every developed country prohibit long term exposure to noise (even music) ove a certain decibel level.

What kind of human beings would injure young people who don't know any better just for the sake of brand identity?

I will answer that question. The same kind of people that put melamine in milk they knew would go to babies.

This is a company which is knowingly permanently destroying the hearing of its employees. They know that occupational safety laws in every developed country prohibit long term exposure to noise (even music) ove a certain decibel level.

What kind of human beings would injure young people who don't know any better just for the sake of brand identity?

I will answer that question. The same kind of people that put melamine in milk they knew would go to babies.

What?

Re: your first question I reply...McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Toyota, Honda, MKey, Coal Mines, Construciton Companies and so on.

btw, while you are casting your stones at glass houses, don't forget to include the shopping malls that not only inflict hearing damage upon promotional participants and pretties and the poor average everyday shopper.

The amount of brain damage from listening to said noise is hard to put a finger on in the average person, however I think it will be reflected in future generations. :o

Edited by bkkjames

What?

Re: your first question I reply...McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Toyota, Honda, MKey, Coal Mines, Construciton Companies and so on.

btw, while you are casting your stones at glass houses, don't forget to include the shopping malls that not only inflict hearing damage upon promotional participants and pretties and the poor average everyday shopper.

The amount of brain damage from listening to said noise is hard to put a finger on in the average person, however I think it will be reflected in future generations. :o

I have to admit that this post is spot on.  We go through life with all sorts of adverse impacts on our hearing, and we won't see the consequences until years in the future.

Two to four hours per day as an aerobics instructor at California WOW at decibal levels well above 100 is long term exposure beyond most of the examples cited above. Google about it and read what it will do.........

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB

Permissible Exposure Time

85 db

8 hours

88 dB

4 hours

91 db

2 hours

94 db

1 hour

97 db

30 minutes

100 db

15 minutes

103 db

7.5 minutes

106 dB

3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB

1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB

.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB

.46875 min (~30 sec)

So what is the decibel level at California Fitness?

I think it is too loud for what I would prefer, but it doesn't seem really all that loud to me. Yes, I have damaged hearing, but when I went to RCA for the first time some weeks back, I had to walk out as the level actually hurt my ears.

Two to four hours per day as an aerobics instructor at California WOW at decibal levels well above 100 is long term exposure beyond most of the examples cited above. Google about it and read what it will do.........

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB

Permissible Exposure Time

85 db

8 hours

88 dB

4 hours

91 db

2 hours

94 db

1 hour

97 db

30 minutes

100 db

15 minutes

103 db

7.5 minutes

106 dB

3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB

1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB

.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB

.46875 min (~30 sec)

WHAT??!!! speak up man, you are mumbling

I went to work out at the Pin Klao location last night, and due to this thread, I paid attention to the music. It really wasn't that loud.  I seem to remember it being loud enough that I couldn't use my I-Pod before, but I could certainly have used it last night, and people could easily hold conversations, talk on the phone, etc., last night. I think the place has toned down the music, but I just never noticed it before this thread brought it up to may attention.

Hi,

I am also a member of California wow and took up their "lifetime" membership offer. The thing you have to remember though and speak to them about is their idea of a "lifetime membership" - its actualy for a 3 year period and NOT as we would think, a actual lifetime! I paid 9,000 baht for the 3 years membership after first being offered it at the same rate as you were (14,999) but you have to barter with them and be strong and you will get it for 9,000 baht.

As a gym, its fine, I go to the one in Major cineplex, Just off Ram Intra.

Falcon

Hi,

I am also a member of California wow and took up their "lifetime" membership offer. The thing you have to remember though and speak to them about is their idea of a "lifetime membership" - its actualy for a 3 year period and NOT as we would think, a actual lifetime! I paid 9,000 baht for the 3 years membership after first being offered it at the same rate as you were (14,999) but you have to barter with them and be strong and you will get it for 9,000 baht.

Falcon

They also have a 3 years membership for 9000 but the lifetime is around 15000 and it's a real lifetime, not only 3 years.

Don't do it unless you are

Deaf !.......

California (chug) Wow is as slimy as they get.. Yes they have good equipment but their business plan has zero customr service or satisfaction... I won't bother with my opinion of the *rsehole Canadian Manager.. But for decent service and a good training atmosphere I'd look elsewhere.. (unless you love overly loud music played at nightclub levels an only want to jog on a cardio machine) Hoping this noisy blight will close soon... Bring back the Beach Rd World Gym....!

what???...... :o:D

looks like its affected your eyesight too.............

i think they change the managers fairly often so maybe that guy is history already but i hope the pattaya one dont close soon as wanna get my moneys worth(if it closes in another 2 years when there lease runs out then im ok !!).

i find the music is loud but you can still talk and i prefer it this way to no music which was sometimes the option at tonys 3rd road when i was there. i agree sales techniques are well off the mark and annoying but if you join at a good price then is good value for sure.customer service is crap but is everywhere especially if the workers dont care about the business and just want there commision on joining or p.t,i think when you pay then the personal trainers talk nice but i dont know as im happy to get on with my own thing.

equipment wise is good,plenty of cardio and weights machines are good.....atmosphere ok,air con ok ..........and compared to prices in uk then value very good if you didnt get ripped off with a bad deal. i have some complaints about the place but in general is good for me.

by the way do you mean the universe gym on beach road as i dont remember seeing a world gym there.....if you do then its still open just not on beach road....its on sukhumvit rd now and is same apart from beach view,personally i found it horrendously warm inside in the old days but has air con installed now so bearable.

as to going bust then gyms dont normally in first few years..it takes a while for sales to be exhausted and the gym to start to look rundown then income dwindles especially if newer gyms start to open up in the same area

How is that a rip off? My skim is like this,

10,000 baht in 10 months installment. 1000 baht per month for the next 10 months. And after three years , i would have to pay 100 baht to renew something like that.

I took my Thai friend with me, he made it written on the agreement paper with California fitness stamp on it. If you noticed, none of their promotion are written on their agreement which means they can terminate your account anytime without prior notice.

very good deal for me! i don't care if it shuts down. I just payed 3000 baht for last three months. and they keep calling me to bring my friends.

never pay the full amount.

10,000 baht in 10 months installment. 1000 baht per month for the next 10 months. And after three years , i would have to pay 100 baht to renew something like that.

I took my Thai friend with me, he made it written on the agreement paper with California fitness stamp on it. If you noticed, none of their promotion are written on their agreement which means they can terminate your account anytime without prior notice.

very good deal for me! i don't care if it shuts down. I just payed 3000 baht for last three months. and they keep calling me to bring my friends.

Glad I am not your friend mate :o

You can provide them a wrong phone number if you don't wish to receive call. And i think the music is not that loud either. perhaps Most of the falangs are i see there are over 40.

for young people like me, beside the bunch of gay guys around, things are pretty okay for me.

no really!! why is so many gays there? irritate the shit out of me.

You can provide them a wrong phone number if you don't wish to receive call. And i think the music is not that loud either. perhaps Most of the falangs are i see there are over 40.

for young people like me, beside the bunch of gay guys around, things are pretty okay for me.

they obviously have a thing for young guys like you. :D:D say no more!

they obviously have a thing for young guys like you. :D:D say no more!

hehehehhe

Hi,

Falcon

They also have a 3 years membership for 9000 but the lifetime is around 15000 and it's a real lifetime, not only 3 years.

Specifically in this case, I don't know, but in general a lifetime membership is only as long as the company's lease. Really, that is all they can commit for. For example, I belong to a sports club and bought a "lifetime membership" in that club. The club fully disclosed up front that they had 25 years left on their lease and that my lifetime membership was therefore a 25 year membership.

^Or very cleverly went bankrupt and sold all of their capital to a 'competitor' under a different name who didn't have to continue to honour the contracts- which is what I figure will eventually happen. Give me 2 more years of it and I still come out more or less ahead, though.

Or as he has been doing in Pattaya, selling lifetime memberships, "My name is XXXX".

I have played with and crunched the numbers for selling an unlimited number of lifetime memberships and there is no way I can make it work in the long term. Sell a few, sure to get a capital injection but once past a critical level, you have destroyed your future income flows and your business model moves from profitability to one where it is impossible to maintain figures in the black even after cutting services.

anyone who's been to a decent gym like the Olympic Club at the Pathumwan Princess hotel wouldn't go near a California WOW establishment. Their logo sign outside is enough to guess what the inside is like.

Any business who has to employ high pressure sales people to operate has a limited life span. California WOW reminds me of a time share company, only worse.

Edited by sibeymai

Last evening I passed Cali Wow just to check the prices, it turned out to be a mistake. At first they wanted 10.000 baht in joining fee and then 2300/month. I wasn´t to to happy about that price. Then another sales person came and joined the discussion; suddenly there were no joining fee and the monthly fee were 699/month. But since they refused to even show me the premises I left. They were not to happy but how can they expect anyone to sign up when they don´t even show what equipment they have?

Edited by Hawkup2000

• 7 months later...

I was in at the Wow California at Pattaya today . ,, , the deal was the BLACK Card membership all branches in Thailand for 14.000 THB for 1 year and for renewal it was 100 THB .,,

This is not a life time card..., BUT you can renewal if every year for 100 THB ..... HMM i cant see the different from a life time card ?! . . what are i missing . . .