Snakes - Banded Krait

designersing

I've found 2 rather large Banded Krait snakes living at my backdoor under some plastic bags we use for gardening, a bit of research proves them quite nasty and I wondered if anyone could advise on how to get rid of them without being aggresive. I have some pictures I will upload soon, they are a dark greeny black colour with yellow stripes and are apparently very poisonous, the venom is 16 times that of the Cobra. I have heard that they dont like lemon juice/powder but this could be a myth I dont know? Anytips please? I am jst scared that they will get in the house with the weather becoming colder, thanks for any feedback in adv.

best DSG :o

Your local village will have an "expert". They may eat the dam_n things but you can be sure they will be taken away.

post-53309-1225272904_thumb.jpgpost-53309-1225272983_thumb.jpgpost-53309-1225273023_thumb.jpg

I think there is a nest under the concrete patio at the back, however I managed to kill the babies (sorry for my sins :D ) however I am a little worried the mother may come back for vengeance! :D Should I purchase an Amulet anytime soon??? :o .......... :D

Its a Mangrove Snake - not a Krait.

Poisenous? - yes, lethal? - no - if you exclude anaphalactic shock (which can happen from a bee sting if you are susceptible to a/shock).

Will cause swelling, but no long term effects - all over in a few days.

Try not kill it when moving - they are great at catching frogs, lizards, and all sorts of other small garden critters.....

Sure it's not a Mangove snake, very common and often mistaken for Banded krait.

In both cases, snakes don't like lemongrass.

Hmm yes that is very interesting they almost look alike! I will upload some photos of the larger one (mother?) before she escaped me yesterday! :D

The Banded krait has no yellow on belly.

Pick up and check. :o

Definetly Mangrove.

Banded Kait has thick yellow and black bars. Mangrove has black body with narrow yellow bars - As in the picture.

Kait potentially lethal. Mangrove more of a pest.

I would poison them. Or maybe one of those glue traps they use for rats would work once baited. i.e catch a rat first.

I've had a few snakes in in the yard and I've never been one for killing things.

I use a bit of the standard blue water pipe running all around the house about 1.5 mtr. long, thread through

it some of the twine the locals tie everything up with, eye at one end and two ends of twine at the other

end of the pipe. Eye over snakes head, pull the two ends, works a charm, used it 6 or 7 times now.

Nearest bit of good sized land nearby, bye bye. Oh yeah, they get a bit grumpy after, in my case, 150 mtr.

trip bouncing up and down by the head, they hit the ground running.

Your local village will have an "expert". They may eat the dam_n things but you can be sure they will be taken away.

post-53309-1225272904_thumb.jpgpost-53309-1225272983_thumb.jpgpost-53309-1225273023_thumb.jpg

I think there is a nest under the concrete patio at the back, however I managed to kill the babies (sorry for my sins :D ) however I am a little worried the mother may come back for vengeance! :D Should I purchase an Amulet anytime soon??? :o .......... :D

I don't think that is a Krait, if you have kids, kill the buggers, if you can stand them on your property, good luck! they tend to be homestay kind of creatures, i.e, they will not bugger off of their own accord so you need to dissuade them, this lemon grass and lemon tree shit is complete garbage, I have found snakes quite happily living, coiled around my lime trees!

I agree with Mangrove Snake and you are welcome to bring Mom over to our house.

We have several kinds of snakes hanging in and around our hedge and they are welcome to stay as long as they wish. A Banded Krait would be questionable, as would a Cobra but snakes are even less interested in confronting you than you are willing to confront them. Snakes are usually not into biting anything that they are not going to eat and if that were not true, oxen and water bufflalo and dogs would be dying all over the place.

If snakes have a favorite hiding/breeding place somewhere where you work. change it. Put your bags on a short-legged table or something and they will find another more suitable place. We put our bags of gardening stuff on a wooden pallet and I occasionally spray an insecticide underneath to not only discourage them but unwanted insects.

We have become a bit fond of our snakes and they have become quite accustomed to us, even to the point of letting my Thai wife and I gently touch and stroke them. We have a son, other kids visiting occasionally, a dog running all over the place even in the dark and we have no worries.

In spite of the apple story in the Garden of Eden, snakes are as cool as the rest of the creatures in our world...

That is a Laotian Wolf Snake..

not a Mangrove snake

Correct it is not a banded krait cos I saw one 3 years ago. Maybe more than 2 metres and thick as yer arm. The Thai gardener picked it up and cut it in half with a machete. Dinner for 5? Kraits are extremely dangerous. I was confronted by the most beautiful one -- luminous blue with red head and tail. Frightened me to death. Also had one of these outside my house.

Advice for snake problems -- get someone down the road a little to take it away.

Both the Loation Wolf Snake and the Mangrove aren't dangerous.

According to my photgraphic guide book the Laotian Wolf snake only grows to 56 cm whereas the Mangrove snake grows up to 250cm. Both have black body with yellow bars, but the Laotion seems to have duller coloration.

So need to know how long the snake is to determine which one it is.

Either way I would get a local to dispose of the problem if it worries you.

The Banded Krait is easy to identify and since they are VERY shy, they are rarely seen. There are a number of snakes with narrow yellow stripes that are commonly wrongly identified as Kraits. The yellow rings around the Krait are very pronounced and quite wide. There is also a Blue Krait. As named he is a blue color and has black rings.

My garden is full of snakes, apart from one grass snake all the rest have been cobras. Wifey doesn't want them killed so I just leave them alone and they me. I keep lgihts on at night and sprinkle 'Luk Men' around the perimeter of the house, not the garden. See them fairly often but they are never aggressive and if anything are very timid.

I'm with Dustoff on this one.

> i can't believe people are suggesting you kill them!

You're in the wrong country if you love snakes.. Locals clobber them, probably for good reason. Also you may not have kids around.

i have a kid, i have also had at least one of these guys around my bangkok house for as long as i can remember. live and let live i say. i would much rather see this guy once a month than a rat.

post-26132-1225345978_thumb.jpg

You're in the wrong country if you love snakes.. Locals clobber them, probably for good reason. Also you may not have kids around.

I'm quite surprised because of the local's ignorance of snakes. They have no idea of which ones are dangerous and kill them all to eat. My wife wouldn't consider killing any snake and she gets irritated when the locals kill one.

i have a kid, i have also had at least one of these guys around my bangkok house for as long as i can remember. live and let live i say. i would much rather see this guy once a month than a rat.

White lipped pitviper

White lipped pitviper

I thought that it may have been a viper by the shape of the head. Not sure if I would want one of these fella's hanging around as vipers have a reputation of being quite aggressive.

Beautiful snake though.

I'm quite surprised because of the local's ignorance of snakes. They have no idea of which ones are dangerous and kill them all to eat. My wife wouldn't consider killing any snake and she gets irritated when the locals kill one.

A generalization that may work for city folks but my wife grew up in the countryside around Chaiyaphum and knows very well which snakes are venomous and which are not. While she doesn't know the English or Latin names for them, she quickly identifies them as harmless or venomous and has been right every time in the 7+ years we have been together.

Some Thais do eat snakes but there are also lots, like my wife and her family who would never think of killing one. In fact they have a legend that if you kill a snake, it attracts more.

The only snake I have carried off was a Malaysian viper that found its way into our kitchen. I do have limits on how friendly or familiar I allow them to be. A low dish cupboard or similar is not a good place to have a venomous snake because it could bite an invading hand before you even see the critter...

A generalization that may work for city folks but my wife grew up in the countryside around Chaiyaphum and knows very well which snakes are venomous and which are not. While she doesn't know the English or Latin names for them, she quickly identifies them as harmless or venomous and has been right every time in the 7+ years we have been together.

Some Thais do eat snakes but there are also lots, like my wife and her family who would never think of killing one. In fact they have a legend that if you kill a snake, it attracts more.

The only snake I have carried off was a Malaysian viper that found its way into our kitchen. I do have limits on how friendly or familiar I allow them to be. A low dish cupboard or similar is not a good place to have a venomous snake because it could bite an invading hand before you even see the critter...

My wife is a country girl and was raised among the rice paddies. She always says that if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. A few months ago we had an excavator enlarge one of our ponds and use the dirt to make a road to the pond. He dug up a Blue Krait. The dump truck dumped the dirt and the snake very near us. She had no idea whether the snake was venomous or not. She did tell the workers to leave it alone. The poor snake just wanted a place to hide. I didn't identify it until I got home.

I've found 2 rather large Banded Krait snakes living at my backdoor under some plastic bags we use for gardening, a bit of research proves them quite nasty and I wondered if anyone could advise on how to get rid of them without being aggresive. I have some pictures I will upload soon, they are a dark greeny black colour with yellow stripes and are apparently very poisonous, the venom is 16 times that of the Cobra. I have heard that they dont like lemon juice/powder but this could be a myth I dont know? Anytips please? I am jst scared that they will get in the house with the weather becoming colder, thanks for any feedback in adv.

best DSG :o

Attached photo is from Laos, up at the "gold mine junction" where the Phu Bia Miining company has their main digs. We normally stop by there for a bowl of noodles when heading up to Long Tieng, or to Xaysomboun/Moung Cha/LS-113, it's right at the junction where you turn north. Photo by an Ozzie cyber acquaintance who took it a couple weeks ago in their living quarters at the mine area!! Reckon I'll BE SURE to carry a flashlight when out for an evening whizz from now on.

Mac

post-32650-1225371156_thumb.jpg