Mutant Worms From Outer Space

Well OK, they may not be from outer space (altho they surely look it). But something truly does seem to have mutated the ordinary tiny green worms that from time to time were a pest into ones with an unlimited capacity for consumption and growth.

I swear, yesterday I had a gardenia hedge all around the house, and today only bare branches...with giant gluttonous monster worms clinging to them.

With great big white eyes and an elephant-like nose thing with teeth.

Fatter than my thumb and as long as 2 index fingers put together. Light green that easily blends in with the leavers and a tenacious hold, takes two hands to pry them off.

I know they are just giantic versions of the little green worms because little green worms were nearby along with intermediate sized ones, apparently they just eat and swell up into giants.

Never happened before, though.....

Anyhow just thought someone should know this.

pix will follow

The link I provided only mentioned size for the newly hatched larvae (3-4mm), however the mature (full-fed) larva can be 11-13cm in length. They are caterpillars,not worms and their sole function inlife is to feed and grow - and yours cetrtainly sound like they have been feeding :D .

Their extra-limital range (places beyond their natural range where they have been introduced and become established) runs in a broad stripe from the Mediterranean right across to India, Burma, Thailand, Northern Indonesia and across to the Philippines and have even become established in Hawaii. They are also established across Central Africa.

Their cousins the Death's Head Hawkmoth featured in the "Silence of the Lambs". Their larvae are very similar but more stripy :o

Edited by phaethon

Their cousins the Death's Head Hawkmoth featured in the "Silence of the Lambs". Their larvae are very similar but more stripy :D

Great. I suppose Hannibal Lechter will be the next to show up? :o

As it is I spent Halloween with the house shaking from thunder, a bl;ackout and a bat flying around inside. So I guess ol'Haqnnibal won't be too out of place...... :D

Seriously though any thoughts on (preferrably non-lethal) ways of controlling these? They have consumed several hedges already. thuis far I have been manually removing them and then spraying with neem oil as a deterrent, hard to say of the latter does any good especially since it keeps raining and thus washing it off......

As it is I spent Halloween with the house shaking from thunder, a bl;ackout and a bat flying around inside.

Sounds like you win the prize for the most traumatic Halloween in Thailand! And the Mutant Worms from Outer Space seem like the icing on the cake! Best wishes for de-stressing the rest of the year..... :o

Their cousins the Death's Head Hawkmoth featured in the "Silence of the Lambs". Their larvae are very similar but more stripy :D

Great. I suppose Hannibal Lechter will be the next to show up? :o

As it is I spent Halloween with the house shaking from thunder, a bl;ackout and a bat flying around inside. So I guess ol'Haqnnibal won't be too out of place...... :D

Seriously though any thoughts on (preferrably non-lethal) ways of controlling these? They have consumed several hedges already. thuis far I have been manually removing them and then spraying with neem oil as a deterrent, hard to say of the latter does any good especially since it keeps raining and thus washing it off......

Spread a rumor that they are very good when fried. :D

I was going to suggest that, set up a barbecue and invite the neighbours round...

Spray with 0.2% Rogor apparently (Farooqi and Sreeramu (2001) Cultivation of Medicinal and Aromatic Crops (Revised Edition)). Orient Longman, India. p. 266). Best to get expert opinion from a local pest control outfit. There may well be biological controls like the egg parasites used against the tobacco hawkmoth.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll pass on the barbecue. Even my roasted larvae-eating maid shudders in horror at the sight of these things. :o

After a second dosing with neem oil they seem to be gone (or maybe they all just hatched into the deathshead moth thingy) so for now I am sticking to non-lethal approaches......