Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ulysses G.

Had an early dinner at Miguels, thought I'd give it a go.

660b for 3 mains, one scoop of ice cream and soft drinks for 3.

I would recommend it for the affable franchisee, she was lovely, the parking, the decor, the friendly waitress, good sized portions, the atmosphere as there we're about 15 in there at 6pm. The food was OK, pretty good but no great shakes. I will go there again as it's a family restaurant.

Regards Bojo

We will be in CM this weekend and would like to give Miguels a try. Where are both places located?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be in CM this weekend and would like to give Miguels a try. Where are both places located?

Ther original Miguels is on the outer moat on Chaiyaphum next to the Miami hotel and the new Miguels is at 89 Plaza on the right hand side about 1KM after the Nonghoi/Mahidon Road intersection if you are driving South on the C/mai- Lampun road.

Regards Bojo

Ther original Miguels is on the outer moat on Chaiyaphum next to the Miami hotel and the new Miguels is at 89 Plaza on the right hand side about 1KM after the Nonghoi/Mahidon Road intersection if you are driving South on the C/mai- Lampun road.

Regards Bojo

Thanks. Will find one of the two.

I went to Miguel's new location, again, a few nights ago. I was pleased to see they were quite busy. There were two waitresses working, and during the time I was eating, each returned to my table to ask if everything was alright, and could they get me anything else. I almost fell out of my seat, that happens so rarely.

I don't know what "type" of Mexican food it is; only that I like it and I will return. :)

We were in Chiang Mai last week and ate twice at Miguels (the one on the moat). For the purists, I dont care if it was real Mexican food, TexMex, southern Calif style or what, we all liked it and next time in Chiang Mai will eat there again. We also ate at Dukes (ribs), they were great too, and stayed at the Chiang Mai Gate hotel which was also recommended by a TV poster.

Isn't there some rule about crossing arguments to other threads. It seems that you weren't able to have your say in another thread, so you are making some concurrent argument here. Since this thread is about Miguels, why don't you keep your discussions and criticisms on topic? Besides, I don't think making snide remarks against one's spouse is very proper.

If you define your last argument about me not being able to read Thai and how it relates to the price of The Yamamoto Buffet, which is owned by Nangnual, then please continue, but leave my wife out of your discussions.

My original post was that the success of the new Miguels doesn't have the same rate as the Central Moat area. That location in general hasn't had much success with Western style establishments 2 have failed in the last year.

My comparison was that for a restuarant that appeals to the locals the Yamamoto, which I think is expensive for the value, is usually crowded whereas the New location of Miguels doesn't seem to have a lot of traffic. There just aren't as many expats that go there and there are very few Thai locals that eat there.

I concurr with others that the staff at the Miguels new branch is pleasant, the atmosphere is good and I like the decor. I think that the food is good compared to other mexican places in Asia, but I don't think that is saying much. I just don't see a lot of customers. I do wish them success, but I feel that they are not making nearly as much profit as the central branch.

My comment was specifily refering to the Jinthing comment that it is ok for Jews to make the joke but not others. In Hawaii, everyone substitutes the "Pake" for jew when referring to stingyness. The Pake (Khon Jin) don't take offense.

So I guess then, there are popular specific Hawaiian slang names for stingy,

Hawaiians, Chinese, Japanese, mainland Americans, Scots, Irish, Russians, French, and others.

Just trying to learn some new non-offensive slang names. :)

The food is mediocre at best. Anyone that claims that it is real mexican food has never eaten mexican food. The rice and beans are blande. Their tortillas are poorly made, their salsa is the worst I have ever eaten, very bitter and they don't even take the seeds out of the tomatoes. They do have a few good points. Their guacamole is good, but it is hard to screw that up. Their service staff are friendly, but they use the same cutting board for their vegetables and their meat. I know of 2 different cases of people who got sever food poisoning from eating there. Overall, I give the place a 3 out 10, but for Thailand it is ok but highly overpriced. The ingredients are cheap and there is no special skill required to make Mexican food, the only thing that is expensive is cheese if it is in the dish, so their prices are quite over valued.

I suspect that the new location will close up shop in 2 years. If I am wrong, I will buy one round of soft tacos for all TV chiang Mai contributors.

Let me guess, you joined TV (or joined under another ID) in order to badmouth this establishment... No one claims they serve "real" Mexican food. As for two customers getting food poisoning there, I don't believe it. "there is no special skill required to make Mexican food..." Obviously you have never traveled in Mexico or you don't know Mexican food!

What? That is exactly what they claim on their advertising and is maybe why some people who dine there come away disappointed. I have not tried the new venue (and I wish it every success) but have eaten at the branch by the moat. I thought my meal was pretty poor and my partner left most of hers.

Edited by piercefilmlid

A lot of posters from all over Thailand have said that Miguel's is pretty amazing for a Mexican restaurant in Thailand - it won on the Thai Visa poll in it's category as best Mexican place outside of Bangkok - and their original location is often hopping during low season when other places don't have a soul.

I know that I'm happy as heck after 20 years with no other Mexican food worth talking about.

It seems some folks don't agree, but some people even complain about the Duke's and you can't do much better in South East Asia as far as I can see.

All I can say is, it sure tastes like the real thing to me. :)

Hmm..........more complaints about food in this thread. Seems to me the vast majority of posts on here about the restaurants in Chiang Mai are from the USA. Is this an American trait? You boys/gals do get sooooooo serious.

Some lose sight that we are dining in Chiang Mai Thailand not our favourite restaurant from back home be it California, New York or wherever. What food you get here cannot be the same as what you had back home. If you like the food go back if not don't. Don't knock the brave ones who have a go at opening an eatery I'm sure the majority of us who sit and judge on here would get nowhere near the food alot of the farang orientated restaurants turn out.

Last but not least............I remember clearly being in a pub in England when Americans on holiday came in and had the waitress spend 10 minutes going to the nth degree through a a very short straight forward menu (stuff like do the french fries (chips) come thin or thick?) The killer though, was the question... Does this sandwich come with bread? That just about summed it all up. The pub was rocking with laughter, all of this was lost on the visitors.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? :)

elektrified. I actually have lived here for more than 8 years and recently joined the forums to discuss things on the agricultural and farming forums but since I live in Chiang Mai I occassionally peruse this forum.

Your first post was in the Farming in Thailand section, but all the others have been in the Chiang Mai forum. Most of those posts have been disparaging in one form or another of local businesses or services.

I decided to break down and go out for Mexican food in Thailand the other night. I read so many good reports about Miguel's that I thought it may be decent.

The only thing authentic about the food there for me was Montezumas' Revenge about an hour after the meal.

elektrified. I actually have lived here for more than 8 years and recently joined the forums to discuss things on the agricultural and farming forums but since I live in Chiang Mai I occassionally peruse this forum.

Your first post was in the Farming in Thailand section, but all the others have been in the Chiang Mai forum. Most of those posts have been disparaging in one form or another of local businesses or services.

Edited by elektrified

.. No one claims they serve "real" Mexican food. As for two customers getting food poisoning there, I don't believe it. "

...there is no special skill required to make Mexican food..." Obviously you have never traveled in Mexico or you don't know Mexican food!

What's the claim then"we don't serve real mexican" food,we prefer the "Icelandic Mexican taste" Food poisoning, can't believe.The wife and I ,went last week,Middayish,only ones there,having been before and found the food extremely bland,try again,the basics are fine, we'll ask the staff to seriously up the chillie ante which we both really enjoy.Food arrives,same blandness,no chillie,"what happened" I ask,"we don't think tourist can eat hot."This is after my wife has explained that I am not a tourist and she is not working girl but my wife of 19yrs. and I enjoy my food with flames coming out of my ears.I will never return to a restaurant that tells what I will eat when it is well within their power to give me what I ask for.

.. No one claims they serve "real" Mexican food. As for two customers getting food poisoning there, I don't believe it. "
...there is no special skill required to make Mexican food..." Obviously you have never traveled in Mexico or you don't know Mexican food!

What's the claim then"we don't serve real mexican" food,we prefer the "Icelandic Mexican taste" Food poisoning, can't believe.The wife and I ,went last week,Middayish,only ones there,having been before and found the food extremely bland,try again,the basics are fine, we'll ask the staff to seriously up the chillie ante which we both really enjoy.Food arrives,same blandness,no chillie,"what happened" I ask,"we don't think tourist can eat hot."This is after my wife has explained that I am not a tourist and she is not working girl but my wife of 19yrs. and I enjoy my food with flames coming out of my ears.I will never return to a restaurant that tells what I will eat when it is well within their power to give me what I ask for.

Why did your wife have to explain that she wasn't a working girl, did the waitress ask her? :D

I agree we, didn't fight in two world wars to be told by some Thai nazi want we can and can't eat :)

the huevos rancheros is so poor its akin to a straight guy giving another straight guy a bj and then getting so turned off by the episode, he goes celibate for months and then to make matters worse marries Peaceblondie.

so many with such low expectations of what's good on an international level, its no wonder that chiangmai farangs generate yet another mediocre restaurant - one after another, like Art's Cafe et al.

Miguel's overall grade ... 2 (on a 1-10)

Mexican food is my #1 fav. but the only enjoyment eating at Miguel's for the first time is that finally, there was something that resembles mexican food. That was a high that lasted a week until the dust settled and then reality struck ....

specific reason(s) why its not upto snuff.

The salsa is not just bad, its terrible. There is only one type of salsa offered. It would be mitigating if at least 3-4 terrible salsas were on offer.

Is there any reason to go any further when the backbone of a Mex place buckles so?

OK, then, the Taco Salad, burritos, Dos Amigos, fish tacos etc. .... bland, bland, bland. And cannot be unblanded by the salsa which itself is blander than bland, actually .... blandissimo!!!!

If the worst (international scale) mexican eatery opened across the street, Miguel's would be out of biz within a week, if that.

Last time I ate there? ... 2 months ago.

Go again? Only if the pain of not having something resembling mex. impinges beyond the threshold.

:):D

After a review like that, where do the two smileys fit in? Are they there so we'll think you're a fun-loving type? Not so serious after all?

Oh I get it. The last line is funny, right?

I can't believe how people are freaking out on this post. You can probably count how many mexicans are in Chiang Mai on one hand, how can you be so critical? I have been to many authentic mexican restaurants (some in Mexico) and Miguel's is better than some of those. Albeit it is worse than some as well. It is pretty authentic, it has tacos, burritos, tostadas, enchiladas, salsa, rice and beans, tequila (more than one brand), holy hel_l people. As far as the food poisoning thing goes, so <deleted> what, even world famous restaurants have incidents. It's not like there is a FDA checking things out here. I like Miguel's and Mark is a really great guy, his sister seemed to be very cool too when I met her at the grand opening party bash thing. The burritos and chips and salsa at Diablos are still better, but so what. Miguel's is a dam_n fine establishment.

It is not about how long someone has been a member, it is that malicious trolls don't last long and have to keep making up new nicks and starting over.

Good point from "Ulysses G", and pertinent to this thread.

By making liberal use of the
Ignore User
function, I have changed my opinion of Thai Visa from very negative, to quite positive.

I've written instructions on how to use that, and posted in my
Member Profile.

I hope that is helpful to those who want to use this forum in a pleasant and efficient way.

-- Oneman

Chiangman

Edited by Oneman

The Mrs and I have eaten lunch in the Plaza 89 Miguels a couple of times. Food was ok and we would go again.

I have to agree that it was not 'hot' though. The problem I think is that Thai chillies are just not as hot as Mexican ones.

I also agree on the above 'tourist cant eat hot comment'. It is so annoying and makes me avoid Thai restaurants I have not previously been in as you allways have to send the food back to spice it up.

Iain