Does Thailand Need A Michael Moore To Tell The Truth?

thaigene2

In discussion with a farang friend the other day the topic of Hollywood movies came up - and Thailand's woes. We joked about old movies - like the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz was also mentioned as a childhood classic ("We're off to see the wizard! The wonderful wizard of Oz! Because, because, because, because! Because! - Because of the wonderful things he does!" Etc., etc,). Then it struck me that maybe we need a Michael Moore to do real justice here.

Can you imagine? I said I couldn't..He'd be in jail before he left his hotel on the first day's shoot on some trumpted up charge..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In discussion with a farang friend the other day the topic of Hollywood movies came up - and Thailand's woes. We joked about old movies - like the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz was also mentioned as a childhood classic ("We're off to see the wizard! The wonderful wizard of Oz! Because, because, because, because! Because! - Because of the wonderful things he does!" Etc., etc,). Then it struck me that maybe we need a Michael Moore to do real justice here.

Can you imagine? I said I couldn't..He'd be in jail before he left his hotel on the first day's shoot on some trumpted up charge..

What are you talking about, who is MM ??

Some fat dude who talks about crap in documentary’s I think.

post-37101-1225558540_thumb.jpgA lot of us like him. Watch your mouth.

ah you found the fat rambling idiot. good on you.

Fat, portly, rotund whatever, he most certainly is. Can't argue with that. Would you like to elucidate on the 'rambling' and 'idiot' part of your nonsensical remark. You don't like him, or what he's said about gun control 'Bowling for Columbine', so presume you like guns. 'SickNation', documentary about the appalling lack of health care from a country who can pour billions of dollars into a lie of a 'war', so presume you're quite happy with the current US administration's priorities on the apportioning of 'Tax dollars'?

So come on then kid. What is it about him you find rambling and idiotic?

The world we live in, whatever part it is we live in, is never as it is has been portrayed to us in our education, our upbringing or any of the media we are subjected to.

People live with this, are comfortable with this and get upset when the perceptions they have are challenged - See the comments above on Michael Moore. I doubt very much the derogatory comments and abuse he receives bother him one bit. He's in good company when it comes to being subjected to abuse for passing critical commentary on society.

Does Thailand need a Michael Moore?

There are numerous critics of Thai society and politics, some Thai, some not. They exist and they risk far worse treatment than does MM.

The question is not so much does Thailand need a Michael Moore? Rather is Thailand ready for a Michael Moore?

Thailand clearly is not.

I doubt very much ThaiVisa is either.

Some fat dude who talks about crap in documentary's I think.

post-37101-1225558540_thumb.jpgA lot of us like him. Watch your mouth.

ah you found the fat rambling idiot. good on you.

Fat, portly, rotund whatever, he most certainly is. Can't argue with that. Would you like to elucidate on the 'rambling' and 'idiot' part of your nonsensical remark. You don't like him, or what he's said about gun control 'Bowling for Columbine', so presume you like guns. 'SickNation', documentary about the appalling lack of health care from a country who can pour billions of dollars into a lie of a 'war', so presume you're quite happy with the current US administration's priorities on the apportioning of 'Tax dollars'?

So come on then kid. What is it about him you find rambling and idiotic?

What is the heavens name are you rambling about here (ALL OF YOU?, all these fancy words thrown around because I insulted your Idol? Blowing for Who? I hate blowing.

I just saw that eat MacDonald’s supersize me thingy few years back and switched the channel? Anyone ells want to disturbed my peace of mind here????? F$*@#&$@*(#@

The film Sicko was very good till some blistering <deleted> with a fat face and a leather jacket came on screen shouting down and disbeliving what the uk public told him about the NHS and aftercare ect.

No Thailand dont need his sort atall, in fact, nobody needs a bad mannered fat git!

Some fat dude who talks about crap in documentary’s I think.

Calling him a fat dude is about the only accurate thing that you have posted so far about MM. Although he looks and dresses like a homeless person, the fact is that he is a very wealthy Academy Award winning filmaker with very liberal political views with which you may or may not agree. I have personally enjoyed his documentary films and found them to be very thought provoking even though I do not necessarily agree with all his left leaning views. I don't know if Thailand needs him but I definitely do know that he does not need Thailand.

To paraphrase from another movie, Thailand is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, inside a puzzle. A Moore type documentary would be most interesting, but unfortunately would be instantly banned and the poor person making it would be either jailed or suffer a fate worse than Thaksin.

I think that a whole lot of people like the differential treatment and discrimination that goes on in Thailand. Since most of us foreigners don't experience it (and when we do, we scream bloody murder). Men love 'rescuing' poor girls from the bars; saving the family and all the other things that provide them with a primitive sense of macho.

Sad, I am afraid, but true.

To paraphrase from another movie, Thailand is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, inside a puzzle. A Moore type documentary would be most interesting, but unfortunately would be instantly banned and the poor person making it would be either jailed or suffer a fate worse than Thaksin.

I think that a whole lot of people like the differential treatment and discrimination that goes on in Thailand. Since most of us foreigners don't experience it (and when we do, we scream bloody murder). Men love 'rescuing' poor girls from the bars; saving the family and all the other things that provide them with a primitive sense of macho.

I think it was Winston Churchill in a radio speech that you paraphrase.

The world we live in, whatever part it is we live in, is never as it is has been portrayed to us in our education, our upbringing or any of the media we are subjected to.

People live with this, are comfortable with this and get upset when the perceptions they have are challenged - See the comments above on Michael Moore. I doubt very much the derogatory comments and abuse he receives bother him one bit. He's in good company when it comes to being subjected to abuse for passing critical commentary on society.

Does Thailand need a Michael Moore?

There are numerous critics of Thai society and politics, some Thai, some not. They exist and they risk far worse treatment than does MM.

The question is not so much does Thailand need a Michael Moore? Rather is Thailand ready for a Michael Moore?

Thailand clearly is not.

I doubt very much ThaiVisa is either.

Yes , personal attacks regarding Mr Moore's weight are commonplace and show the juvenile mentality of his detractors- and the fact their arguments are weak .

Likewise being a woman who enjoys lettting her frustrations out living in a sexist, openly hostile to independent females- country, via writing in a public forum ( as opposed to acting out violent fantasies) brings out the sopho-moronic comments too.

Michael Moore is a true hero, he won't shut up and shit slingers hate him for it . They've got nothing better to do.

Every country needs a Michael Moore. I watched Sicko last night as well, and while he tends to slant things pretty well to back up his ideology, the facts are the facts. For example from last night, the average citizen in Cuba does get better health care than the poor in the US. As much as we Americans would like to deny that, facts are facts.

Gadflies like Moore can get people thinking, and they can get action started to correct problems within societies. All countries, Thailand included, can use effective gadflies to help focus attention on areas within their societies that could use some changes.

Lets try to return this to the topic at hand, which isn't Michael Moore or what we think of him but rather is there anyone doing any expose type reporting in this country now, or could there possibly be and if so, does Thailand need that kind of reporting and would it help.

Cheers.

(Oh, and RJT, just as an FYI, supersize me was not by Michael Moore :o )

And /Or Oliver Stone's JFK. I beleive the Joe Pesci character states this

And /Or Oliver Stone's JFK. I beleive the Joe Pesci character states this

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Winston Churchill, 1939

Off topic posts have been deleted, I guess I will have to repeat myself:

Lets try to return this to the topic at hand, which isn't Michael Moore or what we think of him but rather is there anyone doing any expose type reporting in this country now, or could there possibly be and if so, does Thailand need that kind of reporting and would it help.

Cheers.

If we want to discuss MM then I will simply change the title of this thread, PM the OP to let him know nobody wanted to discuss his topic and move it to Pub since otherwise, it has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand.

Michael Moore entertains in the form of shock and awe documentaries. It really doesn't matter what size he is or what he is wearing. His efforts do stimulate thinking on some level but anyone who knows the subject matter knows he is playing with the truth. I've seen this guy with a suit so it really doesn't matter what he wears. He must be playing "every man" because no matter what he wears he he pulls off the "I'm poor" look.

I would like to see Mr. Moore film any kind of a documentary using the same tried and true formula used to fascinate the uneducated in America. On day two when he arrived in prison I would hope the officials would let him keep filming. On day 62 maybe we could get a look and the dailies of a svelte Moore trying to get a McDonald's franchise operating in the facility for the good of his fellow prisoners. His 3XL prison garb will have the Marlboro logo as product placement to help fund this future Oscar nominated film. Named "Bangkok Kinda Dangerous" to play on the success of a recent hit filmed here he will be able to showcase the plight of drug addicts, dealers, rapists and murders trapped in the Thai legal system.

Why do so many US citizens think that other countries need other US citizens to come and sort out their countries problems?

When the OP asks if Thailand needs "a Michael Moore...," that indicates that he is not advocating Michael Moore as a specific individual, but someone doing the same kind of thing here in Thailand.

This has nothing to do with the US or US citizens. In this case, the example used is an American. But that does not mean anyone thinks it takes an American to do this.

Off topic posts have been deleted, I guess I will have to repeat myself:

Cheers.

If we want to discuss MM then I will simply change the title of this thread, PM the OP to let him know nobody wanted to discuss his topic and move it to Pub since otherwise, it has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand.

if your going to delete my post which wasn't that ot

then how about

post 2,3,4,5,6,11,13 and so on

thanks

I am happy to delete every single off topic comment in this thread. But of course, at that point, there would only be two responses :D

However, might I suggest that the next time you have a moderation question that PMing the mod in question is the appropriate response.

As for this topic, I am still awaiting an on-topic discussion, if it doesn't occur its going to get moved :o

More likely they wouldn't let him leave the departure lounge. Investigative journalism is deadly business here. Many have been shot trying to uncover graft. Sadly , truth is a dangerous thing to dig for let alone talk about. :o

To answer the original question, the sort of documentary as entertainment with a left wing agenda style of the Michael Moore approach is probably unique to him. I can imagine it may possibly work commercially in other western countries that have issues of great hypocrisy and malfunction in their cultures (equivalent to the US, gun violence, war based on lies, bad health care access). Moore is a huge commercial success, his films are among the most commercially successful documentary type films in history. so of course many hate his guts and make fun of his weight problem. Moore I am sure is not interested in exporting his product. The work he wants to do in his home country will surely outlast his time on earth. The thought of a Thai Moore is very laughable. Its hard to imagine how his very confrontational and sarcastic style of film politics would even get made in Thailand, much less watched.

Edited by Jingthing

Of Course Thailand needs Michael Moore, The entire world needs Michael Moore , Somebody give him a Nobel Peace prize !!

As for uncovering " Un Thai'd " ( Man, that is a fantastic title .. ) it is happening though it's discouraged as much as possible and this forum is included- perhaps the worst offender .

Whether it's fear of libel or just fear of true discourse , we'll never know 'cause we can't even dsicuss why threads are removed , ( or is that discussing it ? )

For this I applaud The Nation , I've printed some hairy sh8t on that board regarding a certain dept of Aviation, evidence that is horrendous, documented in the US Court system, and in the US would have the CEO of a certain ailrine indicted for manslaughter and heads rolling in a certain dept in charge of regulting said airline and it has never ever ONCE been censored and MAn O Man people are screaming Ban Her! Ban her !

I print under my own name and no-one is suing me either and its going on over a year and I'm still alive .. could I print it here? F8ck no

***edited --flame removed--sbk***

It's like my thread on , well can't discuss that ....

THis is why I hate it here this two faced land where everything is Smiles but everything is WRONG and sex is the drug to make it all OK , only there's no sex for the women so NO, I ain't SHUTTING UP and Michael Moore Ain't shutting up either no matter how many names you call him .

So yeah , Tland needs Michael Moore- BAD

Edited by sbk
no flaming please--sbk