Barack Obama Elected President Of USA

george

To those who ask "what does this have to do with Thailand?"

Besides local politics?* Pretty much everything.

*edit and even then it might prove inspiring (well I can dream can't I?)

i agree everything is connected to the states :o

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Good luck to Pres-elect Obama but please ease off on this whole first "African-American" line.

In American, probably well over 98% of African-Americans can trace their family roots back to slavery which was abolished 150+ years ago in the US. In those 150 years since they have suffered through a lot of discrimination. My family roots are from Central Europe and I have as much African-American slave blood in my veins as Obama does. Obama's African side, his father, was a Kenyan studying in the USA and left when Obama was a small child leaving him to be raised by the white side of his family. Not very African-American at all except in appearance. All the same, good luck.

koheesti,

As for 'In American' 98% of African-Americans being able to trace their roots back to slavery and this not applying to Obama. You obviously don't understand American culture all that much. It doesn't matter how your skin got to be black, 40 years ago you could not eat in the same restaurants, use the same restrooms or go to the same schools, as people who had white skin. Not long before that you could not vote. And on and on.

Actually, 44 years ago the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed. Blacks could eat anywhere they want. 40 years ago Obama was living in Indonesia. He was far from experiencing racisim in America at that time. The African-American journey has been a long and difficult one. A long journey that Obama jumped on only recently. I will feel proud when we elect a president who can trace his roots back to slavery, not some exchange student from Africa. American blacks have struggled over the centuries, and when one finally succeeds, he doesn't share that same history of struggle. Trust me, in America, traditional American blacks and recent immigrants from Africa don't get along too much. They are very different and aren't friends. Anyway, to the rest of the world there is no difference. Now I await England to elect its first black PM, same for Germany, France, Sweden and a host of other superior nations. :o

Calm your euphoria gentlemen.

The complexion of the US President has obviously changed, but in all other respects it will be “business as usual” – only the recipients of the new Governments’ largesse will be different.

Bush was obligated to “big Oil” and the Financial Services Industries (or as we call it after the recent bail-out “Capitalism without risk”) for his election, just as Obama now has to demonstrate his thanks to the Industries who financed his.

The hundreds of millions of dollars “donated” to the Obama campaign had strings attached – strings which will become obvious in the months to come.

Patrick

congrats to president obama. Hope he will make a change.

What a great country american is!!

Indeed, USA (not America) is a great country and with the help of Obama we are going to change that. :o

i cant believe you are such a dumb nation voting for a man( i dont give a toss what colour he is)with no policy but i am going to change things......only in the USA

Hmm don't quite understand the meaning of that post ??

Anyhow what great news indeed and even if McCain had won it would still be a marvellous change from Bush who I see as the very worst president in my lifetime and probably in history with the inept Reagan coming a close second. <deleted> does his skin colour matter, totally irrelevant or most certainly should be at this stage of mankind's evolution. It is only the man himself that matters, what he stands for and how honest and passionate he is about the future well being of the USA AND The World and I have a nice feeling about President Obama. Only relevance I see is maybe it will help get rid of the still moronic, immoral and intolerable pockets of racism that still exists in 2008, amazing how stupid and/or rubbish some of mankind can still be.

Congratulations Barrack, we wish you every success, a breath of fresh air indeed. I hope your message is to be "God bless The World" (whoever your God is, if indeed you even have one ) rather than the last 8 years of "God bless America and <deleted> the World" Good riddance G.W. Bush and welcome President Barrack Obama :D

The complexion of the US President has obviously changed, but in all other respects it will be "business as usual" – only the recipients of the new Governments' largesse will be different.

Bush was obligated to "big Oil" and the Financial Services Industries (or as we call it after the recent bail-out "Capitalism without risk") for his election, just as Obama now has to demonstrate his thanks to the Industries who financed his.

The hundreds of millions of dollars "donated" to the Obama campaign had strings attached – strings which will become obvious in the months to come.

Patrick

Exactly. Only the names have changed... The game stays the same.

The complexion of the US President has obviously changed, but in all other respects it will be "business as usual" – only the recipients of the new Governments' largesse will be different.

Bush was obligated to "big Oil" and the Financial Services Industries (or as we call it after the recent bail-out "Capitalism without risk") for his election, just as Obama now has to demonstrate his thanks to the Industries who financed his.

The hundreds of millions of dollars "donated" to the Obama campaign had strings attached – strings which will become obvious in the months to come.

Patrick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a state of fact

Most of Obama's money came from the over 3 million people who gave 200 dollars or less.

Hardly is he bought and owned by the Oil companies or any other companies.

President elect Obama is Not the same old game.

Patrick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a state of fact

Most of Obama's money came from the over 3 million people who gave 200 dollars or less.

Hardly is he bought and owned by the Oil companies or any other companies.

President elect Obama is Not the same old game.

Barry is the same old game... He has to answer to his daddy - the Democratic party. Despite where you think all his money came from. Things are not always what they seem or what the liberal media tells you.

Indeed, USA (not America) is a great country and with the help of Obama we are going to change that. :o

i cant believe you are such a dumb nation voting for a man( i dont give a toss what colour he is)with no policy but i am going to change things......only in the USA

Sorry to say i agree with you totally, americans did not vote on the basis of policy but against bush and his idiotic shambles of a government. As one authority put it the democrats "could have picked a name out of the phone book" and won.

Euphoria, Euphoria!

Let's take a seat, relax, wait and see... I would say...after all he still human.

Euphoria ? It's even worse here in Europe : total hysteria and collective hallucination.

All those clowns think that.... Jesus The Second has arrived ! Not less.

With Obama, the crisis is over. :o

No more war, no more recession, no more violence, no more corruption... honey, luxury for all.

A big collective winning lottery ticket...

But wait 6 months.... some will be seriously disappointed.

But what I do enjoy is the thought of tens/hundreds of thousands of ignorants seething because they think that their new president is an Arabic Muslim Terrorist.

For the millionth time, Obama IS NOT MUSLIM!

:o

From your wink I guess that you see the point I am making.

Although of course the correct response SHOULD be: So what if he is a Muslim?

The campaign is over. Now is the time to make nice and make peace and give Obama a chance to show how he can govern. My motivations to move to Thailand weren't to escape Bush though that was the icing on the cake. If my circumstances change and I decide to move back to there, a better government and all that might mean ain't chopped liver.

In thailand the PAD are scratching their head and wondering why the democrats are celebrating and how Obama can take over the white house. PAD got support from only maybe 1 percents of thai vote and they occupied the government house. BUsh and McCain got millions of voters. Surely no way Obama is going to the white house. In the weeks to come, republicans not happy with the results can surely gather in the white house, live there, cook tomyam and sell cheap t shirt. That is the meaning of democracy and surely there will be no risk of police or military arresting them after all democracy means losers have right to demonstrate and party in the government house

Bangkok post editors and writers will be sayingthe right thing to do for Obama is to go to california or florida to form his government as bush supporters have rights and nobody should use force to retake the white house

Spot on!!!

Time for PAD to take a political lesson. Time for them to act maturely and in the best interests of Thailand. Time to go home. Time to start preparing to win the next election. That's how it's done. :o

The dream of Dr. Martin Luther King became fanally true. The work ahead from this mess those backward oriented "warriors" let behind them, will not be easy to overcome. I wish this new Mr. President all luck on earth and god's help to succeed. May those "criminals around Bush get a war tribunal sooner or later. Bush should be behind bars!

Euphoria, Euphoria!

Let's take a seat, relax, wait and see... I would say...after all he still human.

Euphoria ? It's even worse here in Europe : total hysteria and collective hallucination.

All those clowns think that.... Jesus The Second has arrived ! Not less.

With Obama, the crisis is over. :o

No more war, no more recession, no more violence, no more corruption... honey, luxury for all.

A big collective winning lottery ticket...

But wait 6 months.... some will be seriously disappointed.

While I voted for Obama, he isn't the solution to this financial mess. Nobody is, and that includes the head of your country as well. Also, I don't know anyone who feels that Obama is the "second coming". He is better than McCain, who is better than Bush and really that is all that is known.

Indeed, USA (not America) is a great country and with the help of Obama we are going to change that. :D

you must have just stepped out of an AM radio right wing talk show. NO POLICY? Barack was all about policy, puppets don't have policy, which is why McCain lost. McCain didn't really want to be president anyway, wasn't that obvious? It would have killed him. He was pushed into it, his heart wasn't in it. He didn't believe a word he was told to say. He did nothing but embarass himself, and he knows it. It's the "know nothings" that believe the ridiculous crap on those shows. Anybody that gets news from sources other than the Fox network would know that Obama's plan to deal with the economy was far superiour than McCain's jargon. get with it. If he did in fact pick Sarah Palin as a running mate, that should be proof enough that he didn't want to win the election, what an idiot! :o

Sorry, but you have McCain wrong.  He has had his heart into it for 10 years now.  This is something he had a driving desire to do and has worked to it.  Unfortunately, Bush's dirty tricks did the job back on 2000 and knocked him out of the running. I say unfortunately because I think John McCain would have been an honorable president, and I think Bush was a disaster.

Having written the above, I did in fact vote for Obama.  I still think McCain would have been a good president, but the combination of Obama/Biden was better to me than the team of McCain/Palin. I think Obama, while not that exerienced, does bring hope and opens the door to better international relations.  But he really has not done much policy-wise since going to Washington.  As much as I don't like Palin, she had a point when she said she was more expereinced than Obama.

I hope the best for Obama, the US, and how that affects the rest of the world. I just hope he pulls a Reagan by surrounding himself with effective subordinates and puts himself in a position of leading those people.

Going from two horrible choices during the last election, it was comforting to me that we had two decent, good men running this time.

The dream of Dr. Martin Luther King became fanally true. The work ahead from this mess those backward oriented "warriors" let behind them, will not be easy to overcome. I wish this new Mr. President all luck on earth and god's help to succeed. May those "criminals around Bush get a war tribunal sooner or later. Bush should be behind bars!

LOL You think MLK's true dream became true tonight? Not even close. Race played an issue tonight as well... just in another direction. Race will continue to play heavily in an Obama administration.

The term 'black' doesn't refer to the colour black it represents the idea of 'not-white'. How many people have you met with naturally black skin?

That's something I learned (very early on) at a school you didn't go to.

Sounds like you went to a school in South Africa. In America, "black" refers to negroes.

The use of the term "black" to refer to non-whites is a "politically correct" device employed in the UK. I can't speak for the US.

Now I await England to elect its first black PM, same for Germany, France, Sweden and a host of other superior nations. :o

In Sweden we have a minister that is black (yes, fully) and she was selected (by the coalition parties) for her views and are doing a good job. Just a small note.

What has this got to do with Thailand?

The only thing I am glad of is this 21 month unashamed and childish name-calling farce is over.

Yes but its so great for the media it means for them they do not have to think about anything or do their job, the so called news is just handed to them on a plate every day for nearly 2 years - god bless the american way