Palm Trees

Most roadside nurseries around town have limited quanities, varieties and sizes in stock. You will see the usual, pigmy date, adonidia, coconut, raphis, red lipstick, and areca palms. All or most were purchased from different growers outside of town and brought in to sell retail.

First decide on the palms you want and size, then go to a quality landscape contractor and have him plant them. His installed prices will be better than these cash and carry retailers. There are plenty on google.th to search for with references. Like this company http://www.vrgamma.com/.

good luck,

meandwi

Thanks I found a few nurseries so far but a little too far away. I have had an interest in palms for a long time i can get most seed myself and grow them but occasionally some plants are not available ie Caryota kiriwongensis, or as i got recently the new tahina spectabilis you wont find this one anywhere but its growing fine here in bangkok now i smuggled it in. variegated caryotas i am also after an kerridoxa elegans, i can find these ok. I would liek to find a big nursery and rummage around. I have as yet no garden so am after seedlings only or maybe afew years old at most.

Edited by yabaaaa

• 3 months later...

couple of centers for trees

Bangkok - Nakorn nayok road. mainly Klong 5,6 and 15. but a lot along side the road.

Bangyai - Kanchanapishek road. alot around that road.

The weekend market on tuesday. It become a huge nursery.

Avoid the "landscape designers". depends on the size of the tree the "shipping costs" mid size trees that fit a truck will cost around 500b to transport and another 200-300 to plant.

for huge trees that need a crane, you can usually get a crane for 1,500 - 3,000 baht, depends on your bargaining skills, and you can pack them with trees. I once planted 11 trees [big to hugh] in one truck delivery.

note that each area mentioned has dealers that specialize in tree types....

enjoy the hunt

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

I'm French and palms collector... My garden is around chiang Mai...

I've started my collection in 2007 and now, I have around 650 palms / 295 different species...

:-)

If you want to see my collection : http://asie.online.fr/palmiers/index-palmiers.html

Pilou

Brilliant, did not know there were so many, i had one nice palm that flowered every year with white flowers, then the trunk was attacked by red ants and sadley it died, it cost me 5000 baht when i bought it.