An Apology

benjamat

Hate to say it, but I find myself somewhat less confident in the United States as a result of this election. Not because Barack Obama won--by all means, I supported Obama's candidacy as soon as I heard that Hillary Clinton quit the race and I even voted for him yesterday. Rather, because trying to do the right thing for the country is an uphill battle.

Just months ago, Barack Obama and John McCain were neck and neck in polls despite the Republican party's abuse of the economy, cutting of social/consumer programs (like social security, education, medicare/medicaid) and huge war expenditures. It took an economic meltdown and Sarah Palin to finally give Obama a recognizeable advantage.

Furthermore, Barack Obama was bolstered in polls by 96% black voter support. They make up 13% of the US population, but traditionally have disparagingly low voter turnout. If, in 8 years, the democratic presidential nominee is not black, what will happen to voter turnout in this essential group?

The right-wingers have the country convinced that "the United States has always been center-right."

This is true if you compare 2008 to 1950, or 1950 to 1850, but put into context, the US is traditionally a center-left state (just not these last 8 years). So the graduated income tax and higher corporate tax rates are essential in maintaining the integrity of the United States, but the vast majority of Americans do not recognize this. Taxation policies are the primary difference between the Republicans and Democrats, but the Republican party has brought forth issues like abortion, religion and homosexuality to negate the impact of their other poor policies.

My prediction for the future:

2008-2010 will be spent repairing damage. Republican governors (like Tim Pawlenty) are replaced by democrats

2010-2012 the country is still in debt, but is gradually paying it off. Social reforms are issued and a new bubble (maybe nanotech =) begins. Democrats win presidential elections.

2012-2014 The US economy is booming and there's finally a surplus. Republicans gain power in congress.

2014-2016 POTUS cheats on wife, Republicans cry and cry. Republican party wins election with promises of low taxes.

The cycle begins anew.

Hey Monroe. While I get the analogy, don't be fooled. Barak Obama is no Bill Clinton. He is a 1000 times more disciplined, and emotionally healthy. My best guess is that there will never be any cheating in that household. :o

No apologies necessary. Politics in the United States of America as of late are so convoluted that it wouldn't have mattered who won. I doesn't matter who has the majority in the Congress.

Remember 2006? The Democratic revolution? What changed, Nada!

Anyone who honestly thinks that McCain or Obama winning the election meant anything are very naive. In 4 years Osama Bin Laden will still be on the loose, the US military will still be in Iraq and Afghanistan, and maybe Pakistan too, and the World economy will still be in the shitter.

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there. - Obama Victory Speech

He is already making his excuse for failure and he hasn't even taken office.

He should become a evangelical preacher. After he said "Yes We Can" during the speech I wanted to rise from my seat and say "AMEN PRAISE JESUS!" :o:D 555555

Expecting change? Be ready for disappointment.

I have asked, and never recieved an answer, as to how in a country of over 600 million people you can only come up with 2 parties ? I was also talking to a black guy and he was saying that a lot of blacks did not want Obama to win. Why says I ? Well he said some of these black guys have mae a career of being the suppressed, exploited, its " because Im black " lifestyle. He said the minute that a black guy gets elected to the POTUS all the excuses go out the window. Now the only excuse for being a failure etc is because you are lazy or refuse to work hard.

Pesonaly I thnk that Obama isnt a man of his word and will tax the hel_l out of ordinary working people just like our lot did when they got into power. They promised not to raise taxes then went ahead and doubled the tax take by the back door. Only time will tell I suppose. Its also along way to go before Jan 2009. I still think Bush will do something to enact his emergency powers and postpone the take over. The best man won, not saying a lot when the other guy was a senile geriatric, and I wish him well. Lets see if he does bring the change so bady needed. :o

Your "lazy" remarks are unsubstantiated and bordering on racist. I know just as many lazy white men as I know lazy in any other color. Obama got 96 percent of the black vote. That is a pretty overwhelming number, and I think you just used an 'I heard" to say something offensive.

This attitude is what has driven me screaming from the building of the Republican party which is currently burning to ground from the fire of it's own hateful attitudes. I have faithfully voted Conservative for 30 years. Not this year. Not this time. Go Obama.

I don't care if Obama is black white green blue or red honestly.

But watching the television over the last 24 hours, its amazing to me how so many (Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee and so on) made this a 'landmark event' for African Americans.

Seems to me it is they who are making a bigger deal out his colour than whites, hispanics, asians or others.

They had the opportunity to say, "We voted for Obama the man, not the colour / race" but no, let's bring up the whole history thing over and over again. Perhaps this is only human nature to do so and I can appreciate the 'history'.

However, I thought the days of bias based on colour / race / religeon were behind us. People like Tiger Woods, Lewis Hamilton and so many others have basically (in my mind) made colour a none issue.

Sadly, I guess I was wrong.

IMO, if someone wants to get past this issue, surely it is they need to stop bringing it up when convenient and just stop talking about it.

I can only imagine the scene if it was Hillary instead of Barack :o

Obama has made it clear he ran for president to be president of ALL Americans, including republicans. He meant it. However, it is still a landmark event for African Americans. Anyone who knows about the history of slavery and racism in America and the long hard struggle for civil rights, the speeches of MLK, would understand that. If Obama had run as a president of black America or if the majority did not believe that he was going to be president for all Americans, well, he couldn't have possibly won!

I don't care if Obama is black white green blue or red honestly.

But watching the television over the last 24 hours, its amazing to me how so many (Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee and so on) made this a 'landmark event' for African Americans.

Seems to me it is they who are making a bigger deal out his colour than whites, hispanics, asians or others.

They had the opportunity to say, "We voted for Obama the man, not the colour / race" but no, let's bring up the whole history thing over and over again. Perhaps this is only human nature to do so and I can appreciate the 'history'.

However, I thought the days of bias based on colour / race / religeon were behind us. People like Tiger Woods, Lewis Hamilton and so many others have basically (in my mind) made colour a none issue.

Sadly, I guess I was wrong.

IMO, if someone wants to get past this issue, surely it is they need to stop bringing it up when convenient and just stop talking about it.

I can only imagine the scene if it was Hillary instead of Barack :o

My sentiments exactly.

Americans are not taking the opportunity here to show that have have turned a corner in regards to race.

It appears at times as though he won because he is black and not despite his being black.