What Do Tourists Think Of First When They Think Of Thailand?

Jimjim

Sometimes I ponder what are the top things that draw tourists to Thailand. The iconic things. Do they think of Khao San? Elephants? Muay Thai? Patpong? Ping pong shows? Jungle treks? The Grand Palace? Etc. etc.

I won't make this a poll, but I'd like to know by way of simple conversation what you think of first when you think of Thailand. I'm thinking more from a tourist prospective. When you first thought of visiting Thailand, what was it that brought you here? When you knew nothing of Thailand except for one thing, what was that one thing? Or, if you had to pick the one thing Thailand is most famous for, what would it be?

I'd prefer if everyone picked one feature, but if you have to mention more, try to limit it to a few. Of course, you can respond how you please but I'm quite curious about others' views as I always wonder about this. Thank you for your responses.

Oh, and I guess for me, if I picked one thing it would have to be the wai. I could pick other things, of course. But when I first came to Thailand I had gotten a job here and knew absolutely nothing of the place and even had barely heard about its reputation for the various nightlife. However, when my fellow co-workers held a little silly (in my view at the time and possibly even now. I was befuddled. And it was silly, because they were all giggling as well.) welcoming ceremony for me, the girl they picked gave me a wai and I didn't know what she was doing, and was trying to say thanks, and she's like, "You do it too!" The funny thing was, she was not even a Thai girl. I know it was more a work atmosphere, but for me I was still in the tourist stage of discovery as I had come to a country I knew little of very suddenly for work and that incident happened on my first day. Anyway, respond away if you please. Hope I get at least one response.

I won't make this a poll, but I'd like to know by way of simple conversation what you think of first when you think of Thailand. I'm thinking more from a tourist prospective. When you first thought of visiting Thailand, what was it that brought you here? When you knew nothing of Thailand except for one thing, what was that one thing? Or, if you had to pick the one thing Thailand is most famous for, what would it be?

I've made some effort to tout medical tourism to people. That's what actually motivates me to fly to Thailand.

That said, the FIRST thing I think of are all the lovely ladies! :o

What first brought me to Thailand was the gay bar scene. However, what keeps me going back year after year, are 1) being hot all the time; 2) great beaches and warm water; 3) cheap living; but mostly it's the wonderful people. And it's NOT Europe!

• 3 weeks later...

:D hmmmm. That is a tough question to answer.

#1)

The petite, brown-skinned, long straight-dark-haired, happy, and fun women. :o:D

Preferably a woman that has never been an active participant in the sex trade. Although, I do not have any negative opinions of women who are "go-go / bar " ladies , etc. I have met some that were very sweet. I just prefer one who has no sex trade baggage....and that includes STDs.

Just joking... the first thing I thought of or wanted to experience are all the people trying to separate me from my money. Walking ATM. :D

#2) The mammals, birds, herps, plants, national parks, and all other natural history of the country. :(

Then there is the incredible food, the sun, the rain, beaches, Khmer ruins, and just plain crazy-assssed opposites (opposite side of the road driving, fast / wreckless driving, ladyboys, etc.) not found in the States. :D

I love the petite brownies! :D

Definately the Lima Bravo's.

I too was a young lad off to work in Malaysia and all I knew about Thailand was that it was north of the border....i wasn't there too long b4 the lads took me for a border run..................after that weekend it was definately the LIMA BRAVO FOXTROT MIKE'S that i thought about :o:(:D:D:D:D

nb. that was 1983 and, as has happened to many others, a genuine love of Thailand blooms......and for a complex multitude of reasons covering so many different aspects of this country and its culture.

Nowadays the greatest thing for me, besides my own family, is the Thai royal family. Learning about King Bhumipol, his life and his achievements is amazing. He is so totally deserving of the title "King Bhumipol The Great". I would encourage anyone who has any sort of attachment to thailand to read up on the royal family and the history also.

LONG LIVE THE KING

Back in the UK, many Thai women came over with a farang husband, aged 50+ and you see them in Thai restaurants... often at the back of the husbands pub...

These arent the slim pretty 20/30 somethings, these farang married old bags (and good on them :o ). I can honestly say i had never seen a pretty Thai woman in all my time in the south of england. I honestly expected Thailand to be devoid of attractive women ( i did little research before coming here 2 years ago)

My first thoughts of Thailand were:

- Cost of living, i came to day trade.

- The food

- Ladyboys (no im not into that)

- perverts

- (sod the beaches, you cant get better than Mozambiques beaches)

a good few people in my old firm thought the same negative things about Thailand, that might be an old colonial attitude...

I got off the plane, and onto the sky train... Oh My God! The women! The Technology! The Politeness! This place is (was?) Heaven.

I dont know how i will ever go back to the manly 30 something English women!!

Edited by SomNamNah

Definately the Lima Bravo's.

I too was a young lad off to work in Malaysia and all I knew about Thailand was that it was north of the border....i wasn't there too long b4 the lads took me for a border run..................after that weekend it was definately the LIMA BRAVO FOXTROT MIKE'S that i thought about :o:(:D:D:D:D

nb. that was 1983 and, as has happened to many others, a genuine love of Thailand blooms......and for a complex multitude of reasons covering so many different aspects of this country and its culture.

Nowadays the greatest thing for me, besides my own family, is the Thai royal family. Learning about King Bhumipol, his life and his achievements is amazing. He is so totally deserving of the title "King Bhumipol The Great". I would encourage anyone who has any sort of attachment to thailand to read up on the royal family and the history also.

LONG LIVE THE KING

which book ? the true one which was banned because it told some home truths

no disrespect to the gentleman personaly he seems very nice( and he cannot be held repsonsible for many of the woes here)- but why can his own people not ask certain questions?

but what really is there to be proud of?

the sad truth is that thailand has acheived nothing , bar the reputation of one of the worlds criminal havens and one big whorehouse

and for betraying the west for doing something it is known for( switching side when it suitsin WW2, something the UK bombed bangkok for, sending a little message.. do what you told, when, how, or next time we shall double the payload)

I do love the people, the place...but not the nonsese