Guest House Near Fang ?

orang37

Hi,

I want to take take some friends of mine up (starting from Chiang Mai the day after Loy Krathong) to see Doi Angklang, with a stop at Chiang Dao.

A long time ago I once stayed at the Amari in Doi Angklang in November (expensive and freezing !). That's not in the budget range now.

Ideally, we'll want to descend from Doi Angklang before it gets too dark, and we want to be in the Fang area to visit Wat Tub Thao and its cave and remarkable 500 year old Buddha the next day before heading across the high road to Doi Mae Salong the next day.

Any recommendations on guest-houses/hotels near Fang ?

Certainly don't need air-con that time of year, but paying up to 600-800 baht per night is okay for a better quality place.

Appreciate any recommendations.

thanks ~o:37;

I once slept at a hotel in Fang City. Don't remember the name but coming from Chiang Mai it is on the main street on your right at a point where you know for sure that you've reached the town but before any major crossings. Fang isn't that big, so I'm sure you'll find it. Don't remember the charge neither but doubt that I would have paid more than 4-600 Baht - private bathroom, clean sheets, okay mattress fridge, tv, quiet place, fan - what else does one need to have a nice sleep. It was in February some years ago - peak season but plenty of empty rooms to choose from.

Hi,

I want to take take some friends of mine up (starting from Chiang Mai the day after Loy Krathong) to see Doi Angklang, with a stop at Chiang Dao.

A long time ago I once stayed at the Amari in Doi Angklang in November (expensive and freezing !). That's not in the budget range now.

Ideally, we'll want to descend from Doi Angklang before it gets too dark, and we want to be in the Fang area to visit Wat Tub Thao and its cave and remarkable 500 year old Buddha the next day before heading across the high road to Doi Mae Salong the next day.

Any recommendations on guest-houses/hotels near Fang ?

Certainly don't need air-con that time of year, but paying up to 600-800 baht per night is okay for a better quality place.

Appreciate any recommendations.

thanks ~o:37;

Hotels in Fang

Phu Manee

Chok Thani

Wiang Kaew

Ueang Kham

Ban Fang

Tangarine Ville

Ban Sabai

Check out the new GT Rider Golden Triangle map with Fang & Tha Ton city maps, plus GPS profiles of the Doi Ang Khang roads.

There's also

1. Ban Ai Chai Prakarn Resort, 4 kms north of the police checkpoint on R107 at the Tub Tao Caves turn off.

2. Nam Fang Ghouse (motel) is also 1 km north of Ban Ai Chai Prakarn Resort.

The Amari is at one end of the price spectrum at Doi Angkhang. One cheaper alternative are the little cabins in the Royal Project itself (800/night in off season). Small and with beds like teak (the mattress that is), but clean and nicely located. There is also a place called Angkhang villa resort or similar - you can see this place from the car park at the small market area in Doi Angkhang village. I believe the off-season price there is similar to the Royal Station.

We also want to go to Fang and beyond sometime so would be interested to hear where you end up staying (maybe a post-trip report?)

Don't bother with Fang. Continue north to Tha Ton where there are many bungalow resorts on the Mae Kok River. Cheap and clean.

Totally agree :o

Arh. Fang's good for a night on the town, if that's what your looking for.

But if not & you're looking for a quiet peaceful, sleepy, "serene night" by a stream, then Tha Ton it is.

In Tha Ton the Ghouses / Resorts are

Tha Ton River Resort

Ban Suan Riverside

Garden Home

Tha Ton Garden

Tha Ton Chalet

Kwans

Nam Wan

Chankasem

Apples

Mae Kok River

Please yourself, it's only 1.5 kms from the "top to the bottom."

• 1 month later...
The Amari is at one end of the price spectrum at Doi Angkhang. One cheaper alternative are the little cabins in the Royal Project itself (800/night in off season). Small and with beds like teak (the mattress that is), but clean and nicely located. There is also a place called Angkhang villa resort or similar - you can see this place from the car park at the small market area in Doi Angkhang village. I believe the off-season price there is similar to the Royal Station.

We also want to go to Fang and beyond sometime so would be interested to hear where you end up staying (maybe a post-trip report?)

Bruce,

We are staying at the Little Home Bungalow in Mae Salong at the moment. It is 45 km past Thaton, and way up the mountain. Great little town that was settled by Chinese soldiers from Yunnan. (Check out the recent Chiang Mai City Life article.) The Little Home Bungalow is very, very nice with rooms at 500 baht. Headed to Doi Angkhan tomorrow on all the back roads so will try to find some of those other places mentioned. Motorcycling at the moment is excellent although a bit nippy in the mornings!