Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

Thaksin's asylum bid in jeopardy

The United Kingdom's visa ban on deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman has rocked their effort to seek political asylum overseas.

One day after the British government revoked their visas, questions emerged yesterday about the whereabouts of the fugitive couple and where they would head next to spend their self-imposed exile.

A mansion valued at 300 Million Baht is under construction in China with funding from Thaksin, according to a source from the ruling People Power Party with close connections to the ex-PM.

The source said it was likely that Thaksin would move into the new mansion if he could no longer stay in Britain. Thaksin and Pojaman were in the process of applying for political asylum in the UK.

The Bahamas, an archipelago country in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida, has also emerged as a likely new home for Thaksin and family. He and his wife have reportedly been granted honorary citizenship there.

Former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama, who once served as Thaksin's lawyer, said yesterday that he expected the ex-PM to live in an Asian country such as China. He said many countries were willing to grant Thaksin a visa.

"Thaksin is expected to pick a country that honours and welcomes him and from which he can travel independently," he said.

Pongthep Thepkanchana, Thaksin's personal secretary, yesterday said he did not know the whereabouts of Thaksin.

Analysts say the revocation of the couple's visas is a big setback for any political comeback in Thailand. Thaksin was enthusiastic when more than 50,000 people showed up at a recent rally to show support for him.

Former envoy Kasit Piromya pointed out that the UK decision would restore the reputation of the Thai judicial system, which has been under attack from the Western media. "It means that Britain respects the Thai courts' rulings, contrary to what Thaksin has regularly alleged," Kasit said.

Throughout the court proceedings, Thaksin has alleged that the Thai judicial process has been tampered with and "politically motivated."

The 27-member European Union and the Commonwealth have to respond to the British action, Kasit said. What the UK has done, he pointed out, will impact on ASEAN if there is a decision by Commonwealth members Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia.

Meanwhile, a public prosecutor expressed concern yesterday that the visa revocation would further complicate the efforts to have Thaksin extradited to Thailand.

Sirisak Tiyapan, Director-General of the Foreign Affairs Department, said extradition could be proceeded on only if there was evidence that he had residence in the country the state was seeking his extradition from.

With Thaksin's visa revoked, the Royal Thai Police will have to ascertain his whereabouts. If Thaksin moves to a country which does not have an extradition treaty with Thailand, public prosecutors can still seek extradition on the reciprocity principle, meaning that if that country agrees to send Thaksin to Thailand, Thailand will honour any request from that country for extradition.

Public prosecutors have completed paperwork for Thaksin's extradition in English, and they are still waiting to see if Thaksin's lawyer will before November 20 appeal the Supreme Court ruling on the Ratchadaphisek land purchase, which sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail. If there is no appeal, the prosecutors could seek extradition immediately.

Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said the UK Embassy had confirmed the report and notified Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat about the matter.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat refused to comment.

- The Nation / 2008-11-09

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would also imply that he knew this was going to happen since I would assume he would know his visa right was tied to his ownership of the soccer club.

In that case, what happens if he buys another company? Does being convicted of something in Thailand prevent him buying a company in the UK and applying for another business visa?

Don't forget (unless anything has changed in the last couple of weeks) that he still has a 10% stake in Manchester City and remains as an honorary president (although no longer a board member). Plus I think you'll find he and his wife only had tourist visas (according to what I have read anyway).

Well it takes 1mn quid to get an investors visa. So on the basis that this bloke has schemed and planned his way through all sorts of situations his entire life is there something already planned for him to return already? He got 80mn quid for Man City plus other cash he must have salted away over the years. What we don't know is what type of visas he actually was on during his time in the UK.

Revoking this visa, doesn't prevent him applying again.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingin...tier1/investor/

How many points you must score to apply

Points are awarded for the following categories, which are known as attributes:

you have £1,000,000 of money that is disposable and in a regulated financial institution; or

you have £2,000,000 in personal assets and have £1,000,000 that is in a loan from an authorised financial institution need a total of at least 75 points to be able to apply.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingi...ssment/initial/

I hope that those who protested outside the British Embassy

will now thank the British authorities.

A thank you letter should do it.

I hope that those who accused

various parties that this was a hoax

will acknowledge their mistake.

For info.

I am not a complete PAD supporter.

I am simply disgusted

at the state of politics in Thailand today.

Re post 275 -----

Remember that in the past Takky was granted a visa --- but that was BEFORE he and his wife were both convicted of crimes in Thailand.

Thailand really needs to revoke their passports today.

As of 12:11 GMT, Saturday, 8 November 2008 it is a real story on the BBC Website and here it is:

UK revokes former Thai PM's visa

_45186915_thai_prime.jpg Mr Shinawatra and his wife Potjaman have had their British visas revoked

The British government has revoked the visas of the former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife.

An e-mail sent to airlines from the British embassy in Bangkok told them not to allow the couple to board flights to Britain.

Mr Thaksin was deposed in a military coup in 2006, and travelled to Britain.

He has since been convicted by a Thai court on corruption charges and sentenced in absentia to two years. His wife faces three years for tax evasion.

A Thai foreign ministry official told the Reuters news agency: "The foreign ministry has checked the reports with British authorities and they have confirmed that the visas were revoked."

But Mr Shinawatra's spokesman, Phongthep Thepkanjana, said: "I spoke with Thaksin's secretary and he said that Thaksin still had not been notified by the British government."

The Home Office and the British Embassy in Bangkok said they would not comment on individual cases.

Mr Thaksin is thought to be travelling in East Asia - a week ago he made a telephone address to more than 60,000 supporters packed into a Bangkok sports stadium.

Multiple charges

For much of the past two years Mr Thaksin and his family have lived in the UK.

He has not only invested in expensive properties here but also bought Manchester City Football Club, which he sold in August.

Following the withdrawal of their visas Mr Thaksin and his wife will now be forced to find a new home.

The cases against Thaksin include corruption charges related to the purchase of state land by his wife, abuses of power over government money, concealing assets and tax evasion. The former leader retains a lot of support in rural areas of Thailand, but also has many detractors who would like nothing more than to see him in jail.

The HMRC have declared that the Thaksin's are not to be allowed enty into the UK. It's up to other Countries to to declare there support or otherwise if they wish to enter those Counties.

I do feel that (as mentioned previously), there could be a 'Gary Glitter' scenario, where they may have to return to Thailand in order to clear their names. :o

To be perfectly honest, the fact that his diplomatic passport and that of his wife were not revoked by Thailand, shows both how stupid and how insincere this country is.I would really like to be able to believe that this bodes well for foreigners living and staying in Tailand but doubt it, there will be repercussions, as usual. we own sod all and and nearly always need a muppet to "Guarentee" us. e.g some prick that will eventually scab us for money. sad but true.

Really happy that UK took this fairly groundbreaking decision, and hope it does the same with the multitude of other scumbags that wish to reside in uk.

But, UK does not treat its own citizens to the same degree as foreigners, stupid but true.

Wake up UK, those that are actually UK by birth, or family, "Hello, You want to buy Property in UK sir?" ok get a reputable UK citizen to guarentee ok, ooops, you need to leave UK every three months to do a visa run, is that ok.... etc.

Its all been said on this thread....... but one thing that sticks in my "craw" is that this slime bag is going around the world doing what every long term (law abiding and Thailand improving) farang wishes he could do here. Buy property and a home.

Simply amazing especially from a man I believe promoted the "Thailand for Thais" idium. Property in the UK, Australia and China (and who knows where else). Do his companies only have a 49% ownwership by him and his family?

Maybe we should all throw a few Baht into the kitty and "tea money" our way in for the collective good, we've been going about it all wrong ! A cow in every home in Isaan could work wonders !!!

:o

Its all been said on this thread....... but one thing that sticks in my "craw" is that this slime bag is going around the world doing what every long term (law abiding and Thailand improving) farang wishes he could do here. Buy property and a home.

Thailand improving? Do you have an unfounded superiority complex? The majority of foreigners I have met in Thailand certainly didn't have improving Thailand on the top of their list when they decided to come over (or the attributes to do so IMO).

Simply amazing especially from a man I believe promoted the "Thailand for Thais" idium. Property in the UK, Australia and China (and who knows where else). Do his companies only have a 49% ownwership by him and his family?

Maybe we should all throw a few Baht into the kitty and "tea money" our way in for the collective good, we've been going about it all wrong ! A cow in every home in Isaan could work wonders !!!

:o

A cow in every home? - Toxin thought of that one already and look where it got him! :D

As tens/hundreds of thousands farangs already seem to be supporting sick buffaloes and zillions of baht into the collective Isaan kitty, don't think throwing any more money (tea, or otherwise),is the right way of going about getting property owning rights. Try pulling it all out and back to farangland banks would likely have more chance of success (but don't get your hopes up, as the "Thailand for Thais" idiom goes a bit deeper than Toxin's nationalistic campaigns). :D

Marvelous news. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :o

The UK is tightening up on immigration. A bit late in the day but just in time for this character. Although if Thailand had revoked his passport after the conviction (as I think happens automatically in most European countries....may be wrong), then the UK wouldn't have been put in the position of having to refuse it in the first place.

This is a weird story. Do you think it might be fabricated?

It would seem so. The " spin doctors" hard at work. Potentially effective.

The key is to observe. Avoid a knee jerk reaction.

Things ultimately work themselves out. Ex. Obama

Thailand will be OK.java script:add_smilie(%22:wai:%22,%22smid_54%22)

Anybody in the market for a nice gaff in St George's Weybridge, a luxury Kensington flat and a Rolls Royce with a new window? All going cheap as owner will not need for some time to come, but whiff of corruption in the air, skeletons in the cupboards and dirty laundry aplenty may put some off. :o

Its new for me , that Thaksin and his wife are Thai nations .....instead of nationals ..... :o

Think its a poor written article , but is it true ?

I think it's a poorly written article. but is it true? .... Hmmm? .. a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Sorry, I'm just getting a little tired of the pedantic "spell checkers" on this site. Time to dish out a little of their own medicine.

Edited by kowneeoh

Anybody in the market for a nice gaff in St George's Weybridge, a luxury Kensington flat and a Rolls Royce with a new window? All going cheap as owner will not need for some time to come, but whiff of corruption in the air, skeletons in the cupboards and dirty laundry aplenty may put some off. :o

Yep, I really needed this, another property coming on the market just as I'm trying to sell mine.....

:D

nice :o

Thaksin now less likely to be sent home

Revoking the UK visas of Thaksin and his wife, which was confirmed by the Foreign Ministry yesterday, will add to the difficulties of bringing the former PM home to serve his jail term. Sirisak Tiyaphan, the Director-General of the OAG's International Affairs Dept., said a problem emerging from the decision by the UK to revoke Thaksin's visa would be tracking his whereabouts from now on. As a first step, police and the Foreign Ministry had to work closely together to locate Thaksin before the government could start the process of applying to his host country to extradite him, Sirisak said. If Thaksin stays in a country which has no extradition agreement with Thailand, the kingdom could possibly make a reciprocal deal with that country, he added. Thaksin had spent most of his time in London with Potjaman and his family after being ousted in a coup two years ago. He had sought political asylum in the UK. The OAG has all the evidence it needs to start the extradition process. It had planned to start the process if Thaksin decided not to appeal his case. He has until Nov 20 to make a decision on an appeal. The issue of his diplomatic passport has been tossed back and forth between the PM and the Foreign Ministry. Then Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag wanted then PM Samak to make the decision, but Samak stepped down and now the case has been sent back to the ministry. The ministry was waiting for direction from Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat on the case. Former Ambassador Kasit Piromya said the British decision sent a signal to Thaksin that his chances for political asylum were over and showed the British government respected the Thai judicial system. Other countries which are members of the Commonwealth could follow the example of the UK by not allowing him to enter their countries, he noted. Mr Kasit and several senior members of the Democrat party called on the government to invalidate Thaksin's diplomatic passport. The delay damaged the reputation of the ministry, he added.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/091108_News/09Nov2008_news01.php

===================================================================

I would have expected some movement by Thaksin on his own to return his diplomatic passport and Royal decorations by now...

Thaksin to surrender diplomatic passport

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to return his diplomatic passport to the Foreign Ministry to ease the pressure on his brother-in-law, PM Somchai Wongsawat, a source close to him said yesterday. Thaksin had already informed his brother-in-law of his decision, but has not set a date for the return of the passport, according to the source. One possible date would be Oct 21, as the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions will hand down a verdict on the Ratchadaphisek land case in which Thaksin and his wife, Potjaman, are defendants, the source added.

Thaksin and his wife are seeking political asylum in Britain. The two and their children have been living in self-exile in London since fleeing Thailand in August. They both jumped bail and warrants for their arrest have

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/131008_News/13Oct2008_news04.php

He hasn't down the previous yet ... but perhaps he will do the following....

Thaksin willing to return decorations

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will likely agree to return all of his royal decorations if required to by law, Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said yesterday.

If Thaksin fails to appeal the Supreme Court's guilty verdict and two-year jail sentence against him in the Ratchadaphisek land case, the Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao would need to be recalled.

A PM's Office decree endorsed by then-PM Thaksin in August 2005 gives eight criteria for the recalling of royal decorations, including if a person is convicted by the highest court and ordered to serve time in prison.

Although the Supreme Court is the final court of appeal, he can appeal its judgement against him if solid new evidence can be presented that could change the essence of the case, according to directives on appeals for cases under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

If Thaksin does not seek a retrial within 30 days, the PM's Office must seek royal approval to demand the royal decorations be returned.

Natthawut said if Thaksin committed an offence that fell into any of the eight categories, he would have to comply with the law. However, he said Thaksin did not commit any corruption.

"Whoever raises the issue only wants to aggravate the situation for the former PM," he said.

Thaksin has received nine royal decorations, starting with the Member (Fifth Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand in 1974. The highest was the Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao, bestowed in 2003.

The eight criteria for royal decorations to be recalled include the death penalty; a prison sentence, except for petty offences or crimes of negligence; and confiscation of assets for being unusually rich or convicted of anti-money laundering offences. Termination or dismissal for serious disciplinary or other charges, removal from post on malfeasance charges or constitutional offences or for being unusually rich, declared bankruptcy and abuse of the royal decorations are the other grounds for recovery of the royal rewards.

- The Nation / 2008-10-24

==============================

Criteria #2 fits.... return them quickly, Thakky..... along with your diplomatic passport....

1. Diplomatic Passport

2. Royal Decorations

and now...

3. Police Rank

Thaksin may lose his rank

Police are considering stripping former PM Thaksin Shinawatra of his rank of Lieutenant-Colonel for his conviction in the Ratchadaphisek land purchase case. Police spokesman Police Lieutenant-General Watcharapol Prasarnratchakit said the disciplinary division and human resources office, among others, were studying the move. He said they would have to wait for 30 days before proceeding as Thaksin, convicted of violating the anti-graft law, could appeal if he can produce new evidence.

Under the National Police Act, commission officers can be stripped of their rank when found guilty of corruption or sentenced to jail. The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions issued a verdict against Thaksin, for abuse of authority in his wife Potjaman's purchase of the land at a discount from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund in

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/291008_News/29Oct2008_news14.php

At least he'll no longer be Police Lieutenant-Colonel in 11 days.

Edited by sriracha john

Well for all those dissing the Nation, looks like they were right this time after all and may have got something of a scoop on the foreign press.

For all those celebrating, why? It's probably best for Thailand if Thaksin can live in exile forever or a long time. Actually, this little ruling may make it harder for Thailand to track him so it could make it easier for him to stay out as long as possible.

Thai papers say Thaksin flying to Manila

MANILA, Philippines—Immigration and foreign affairs officials were incredulous when asked about reports that ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, desperate to find a refuge after Britain revoked his visa, was arriving in the Philippines on Saturday to ask for asylum.

Authorities said they received neither official communication nor feelers that Thaksin would be flying to Manila this weekend after the British government revoked his visa and that of his wife.

Thaksin, ousted in a 2006 coup, fled to Britain in early August after his wife was convicted on tax evasion charges, saying he would not receive a fair trial in Thailand. He has since been sentenced in absentia to two years in prison for conflict of interest after helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was prime minister. Four other corruption cases are outstanding against him.

His exact whereabouts yesterday were unknown, but Bangkok media reported that he was travelling from China to the Philippines. Bangkok’s The Nation newspaper yesterday quoted a member of parliament as saying that a number of MPs from Thaksin’s stronghold in Thailand’s northeast would be going on vacation in the Philippines this weekend and may be meeting with the ousted leader. Thaksin reportedly made arrangements for the meeting by telephone.

Claro Cristobal, spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs, laughed off the story as just a “rumor.” The only Thai official coming to Manila, he said, was Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who he said would be “arriving on Monday for an official visit.” He said people may have confused the two Thais. Somchai’s visit this week would make it “highly unlikely” for Thaksin to come to Manila, he said.

Furthermore, the Philippines would be an unwise choice for asylum as the country is a neighbor and ally of Thailand, Cristobal said.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said he had no knowledge about any planned arrival of Thaksin or any Thai official in Manila. He said no arrangements had been made for any meeting with the President. “How can they come here when the President is leaving on Monday?” Ermita said. President Macapagal-Arroyo is leaving for the US to attend the United Nations Interfaith Dialogue in New York and to visit with the Filipino community in Chicago.

Ermita later modified his stance, saying that he had been informed by the DFA about the visit of the Thai prime minister who he said was coming “to introduce himself to the President.”

Somchai, a brother-in-law of Thaksin, was nominated by Thailand’s governing party, the People Power Party, to be the next prime minister last September after a court forced his predecessor, Samak Sanaravej, to step down. The appointment of Somchai, who is married to a sister of Thaksin, angered anti-government protesters who accuse the current government of running the country on Thaksin’s behalf and of wanting to pave the way for his return.

Thaksin is said to have been in touch with party members by telephone while they chose a replacement for Samak.

Anti-Thaksin protesters, led by a group called the People’s Alliance for Democracy, have occupied the grounds of the Prime Minister’s Office in Bangkok since August. The group, whose protests preceded the 2006 coup, descended on the British embassy on Oct. 30 to demand that Britain extradite the former premier, a week after a senior Thai prosecutor admitted the chances of doing so were “slim.” But the director of the attorney general’s international affairs department told Agence France-Presse (AFP) he hoped to begin the legal process by the start of next year.

On Nov. 1, in what has now come to be a controversial phone call, Thaksin addressed his supporters in Thailand, denouncing his opponents to 90,000 loyal supporters packed into a Bangkok sports stadium. Speaking from an undisclosed location, Thaksin thanked the crowd but told them he could not return to the kingdom from exile without a royal pardon. He also reportedly asked for a popular show of force to bring him back to Thailand.

The call triggered a major controversy as Thaksin was accused of trying to drag the King into politics. The Law Society of Thailand said Thaksin had acted in contempt of the country’s revered monarch, King Bhumiphol, during his phone-in.

The AFP quoted a Bangkok airline official on Saturday as saying that British authorities had revoked the visas of Thaksin and his wife. The airline official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the British embassy had informed all airlines in an e-mail on Friday not to allow the couple to board flights to Britain.

Embassy officials in Bangkok refused to confirm or deny the report, but in the e-mail seen by AFP, Bangkok-based immigration liaison manager Andy Gray, from the UK Border Agency wrote: “The United Kingdom Border Agency has revoked the UK visas held by the following Thai nationals: Thaksin Shinawatra … Potjaman Shinawatra,” listing the pair’s passport numbers. “The UK visas contained in the passports of the individuals listed above are no longer valid for travel. Airlines are advised not to carry these passengers to the UK,” the e-mail said. Thaksin’s Thailand-based spokesperson said he could not confirm the report. “What I can verify is that Thaksin has not received any document from the British authorities concerning this issue … But if it’s true, Thaksin can clarify the matter,” said Phonthep Thepkanjana.

Ferdinand Sampol, the immigration supervisor at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, said he had no information about Thaksin’s arrival in Manila, or whether he will be here on transit or to seek asylum.

And if Thaksin should land here, Sampol said immigration authorities cannot hold him unless some irregularity is found in his travel papers. Thaksin is also not on the country’s blacklist, he said. He noted that asylum cases are referred to the justice department.

- Philippines Daily Inquirer and AFP / 2008-11-09

=========================================================

"Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who he said would be “arriving on Monday for an official visit.”

gee... what a coincidence... :D:o

PM Somchai reserves his opinions on Thaksin's visa cancellation

The PM still continues making merit at various temples in Chiang Rai, while reserving his criticisms and opinions on the former PM Thaksin Shinawatra’s visa cancellation.

PM Somchai Wongsawat and his wife were making merit at temples in Chiang Rai province throughout today. The PM was warmly welcomed by locals in the districts.

When asked about the recent cancellation of Thaksin’s visa to England, the PM chose to reserve his opinions and criticisms for the time being.

Instead, the PM has urged citizens to pay more attention on the economic situations while leaving the case of Thaksin in the hands of the authority in charge.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-09

IN6892496Manchester-_76722a.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Potjaman, both face jail if they return to Thailand.

Reuters

====================================================================

Thaksin searches for bolthole after UK withdraws visa

Former Thai PM and Manchester City owner set to be international outcast as Britain turns him away

Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister of Thailand and the man who sold Manchester City football club to its new billionaire Arab owners, was last night scouring the world for a refuge after Britain revoked his visa.

The Home Office told officials in Bangkok that it had taken the decision to withdraw the visas of Thaksin and his wife, apparently after he was found guilty by a Thai court of misusing his position while Prime Minister. His conviction in absentia is just the latest twist in the turbulent career of the flamboyant politician.

In exile, he spent much of his time in the UK, where he applied for asylum, snapped up a house in Surrey and bought himself a football team. But now, facing jail if he returns to Thailand and unable to enter Britain, Thaksin is in need of another home.

Reports last night suggested that he was travelling between China and the Philippines. The billionaire telecommunications

magnate also spends a lot of time in Hong Kong. It was by telephone from Hong Kong that he recently addressed a rally of his political supporters in Thailand. "Nobody can bring me home except Their Majesties' graciousness or the will of the people," he said.

News of the decision to bar Thaksin from entering Britain emerged after the British embassy in Bangkok sent an email to all airlines in Thailand, advising them against carrying the former prime minister or his wife, Potjaman.

The Home Office declined to comment publicly on the decision, but a spokesman for the Thai Foreign Ministry told Reuters that it had confirmed with the British authorities that the visas have been revoked.

Just three weeks ago, Thaksin was sentenced to two years in prison for breaking a conflict of interest law, after he involved himself in a government agency's sale of a piece of land to his wife. While his wife was cleared of any wrongdoing in the case, she had been convicted of tax evasion earlier this year and sentenced to three years. Neither was in Thailand when the former prime minister was sentenced, having both skipped bail in August and fled to the UK.

- The Independent (UK) / 2 minutes ago

Edited by sriracha john

article-1084195-0266563F000005DC-13.jpg

On the run: Thaksin Shinawatra and wife Pojaman.

Daily Mail

Ex-Thai Prime Minister and Manchester City owner barred from entering Britain

Ousted Thai Prime Minister and former Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has been barred from entering the UK.

A memo to airlines by the British Embassy in Bangkok said the billionaire and his wife Pojaman were not allowed into Britain as their visas were no longer valid.

Shinawatra, who is believed to be in China, was sentenced in October to two years in prison in Thailand after being found guilty in his absence of corruption charges. He had fled to the UK two months earlier with Pojaman, 51, who was charged but acquitted in the case. She was, however, sentenced in July to three years in jail for tax evasion.

A close aide said Shinawatra was 'in Beijing on business.'

The move by the UK Border Agency to cancel the couple’s visas follows pressure from Bangkok prosecutors for Britain to extradite the 59-year-old.

The news was met with cheers from tens of thousands of protesters in Bangkok. It means the pair cannot return to their mansion in Weybridge, Surrey, or their house in Kensington, West London. They are now expected to seek refuge in China or Hong Kong.

The UK Border Agency’s memo, signed by Immigration Liaison Manager Andy Gray, told airlines they were ‘advised not to carry’ the couple to Britain. Members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy had previously demonstrated outside the British Embassy in Bangkok demanding Britain send Shinawatra home to face his jail sentence.

The disgraced businessman’s conviction was for breaking conflict-of-interest laws in a land deal in 2003, while he was still in office, in which his wife bought 16 acres of government-owned Bangkok land for £11million – a third of its market value.

The couple’s son and two daughters, who have no criminal convictions in Thailand, are still free to enter the UK.

Shinawatra, who made his fortune in telecommunications, fled to London in 2006 after a military coup in his home country. He bought Manchester City in June last year and is believed to have made a £20million profit when he sold the club to Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi in September. The club’s board will today discuss stripping the former owner of his honorary president title.

It will also debate whether it is appropriate that Shinawatra retains an interest in the club through a ten per cent stake held by his associates, Taweesuk Jack Srisumrid and Victor Restis, via their World Wide Investments firm.

- Daily Mail (UK) / 58 minutes ago

I am confused here :

Mr. T. still holds a diplomatic (red) passport (the government still supports him loud and clear)... I believe a diplomatic passport does not need a visa to enter a country ...(i might be mistaken) ... How can the UK then revoke a visa on a diplomatic passport ? ... Perhaps the decision is more than a 'no visa' but a 'no entry' ...

Anyway China be more than happy to entertain him and co., and from there he (and China) can do more damege to Thailand than he really could from England.

As for those who still believe it is time for thailand to relax the property laws ... simply forget it, if it involves land, it will never happen (only condos ...) ... And for those who think that Thais should not be able to buy properties abroad, please we don't want to be as low and mean as them, do we ?

any withdrawal of visa for someone of their status would have been issued by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and not a junior member of the British Embassy in Bangkok.

It's a routine e-mail to airlines, Andy Gray, whoever he is, sounds like right person for the job of notifying them. We have no idea who or when cancelled the visa, we just have an e-mail informing people that it has been done.

Andy Gray, know him well. He is in charge of Immigration at the British Embassy, and in his spare time works for Sky Sports in the UK as a football pundit and commentator. :D

Hahaha, can see that you did also search the net for Andy Gray, and sure he has two balls in the air at once. :o

And now back to the revoked visa party :D

Edited by Master Chief

There have been a number of cases of the USA refusing entry of diplomats that wanted to visit the UN....So a diplomatic passport does not grant you entry forever anywhere.

Some years ago I was traveling with a Korean girl and she had a diplomatic passport. When we returned from Monte Carlo to the USA, she was granted only a 30 day entry to the USA, unless she provided additional proof of finances.

Massive loss of face for Thaksin. He'll have every spin doctor out on this one, and every functionary enslaved to him will be on the case. "A mature democracy" as he describes it has made the decision.

I notice the bought and paid for MPs are already announcing a quick amnesty for master attempt. Things must be getting difficult for the self styled egomaniacal meglomaniacal mighty one.

The interesting thing is the UK announcement that it will not comment unless they need to respond to things Thaksin says. A classic we will stay quiet if you do. I wonder what they did it for and if Thaksin wants the reason coming out. Cue masses of speculation on his money movements, business dealings in the UK and what has been said in his communications, which I wouldnt be surptrised to find the UK monitored.

While we may never know the underlying reasons as it is easy to find a simple breach of visa regulations to rervoke a visa, I do wonder how much the UK enjoyed an ever increasingly vocal and violent political campaign being run by a foreign national from their shores.

ANALYSIS

Whatever motivated London, it may be big and scary

By TULSATHIT TAPTIM

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on November 9, 2008

The biggest question is why. For all the uncertainties surrounding Thaksin Shinawatra's immediate future following his visa cancellation by Britain, what baffles everyone most is the real motive of the country praised by the man himself as democratically very mature.

Why, all of a sudden, did London slam the door on Thaksin and make him suffer the humiliation of a criminal-cum-political-refugee with no place to live?

The British Embassy would not comment. In fact, the cancellation of Thaksin's and his wife's visas became known through other channels, and embassy insiders said the embassy would issue statements only if it was necessary to respond to reaction from Thaksin or related parties.

So speculation was rife yesterday. Some observers pointed to his and his wife's criminal convictions, but then again, wasn't the "credibility" of the Thai courts the contentious point here? So why was London so quick to jump to the conclusion that the courts were credible when Thaksin hasn't even had a chance to put up a decent asylum fight yet?

Some pointed to the "winning-ugly" court ruling on the Ratchadaphisek land case, a verdict that was based purely on three indisputable facts: Thaksin "was prime minister" when his wife "bought" the land, and that "broke" Thai law. The court ignored charges of corruption and conspiracy to reap profits, but this means Thaksin was left with no grounds to challenge the ruling.

Others believe the visa cancellations were prompted more by political and diplomatic concerns. Some airline sources said that London might have been alarmed by the increasingly apparent tendency of Thaksin to use Britain as a staging ground to launch political activities against his opponents in Thailand. He triggered a major controversy last week by addressing tens of thousands of supporters through a long-distance phone-in from Hong Kong.

But why the rather rude manner? Yes, Thaksin could have been politely told to leave quietly for not acting like a real persecuted refugee, but there would have been a risk of him mounting a legal campaign in a bid to stay on. Such a campaign, of course, could turn politically and diplomatically very nasty for Britain.

One airline source went further, saying the highly unusual way of treating someone who had been allowed to live a luxurious life and buy a premium soccer club had been caused by "perhaps something we don't know". Bluntly put, have the British authorities smelt some hanky-panky deals? To start with, Thaksin bought Manchester City with money he never reported having (while he was in Thailand and had to declare his assets).

Whatever the reason, however, it must be strong enough to outweigh the obvious negatives this shocking visa move carries.

One thing is clear: Thaksin is fast going from a divisive political figure in his homeland to an international hot potato

The Nation.

I suspect that GCHQ has been listening and monitoring Thaksin ever since he went to England, and probably knows more about his political (and possibly criminal) machinations than we will ever know.

I also suspect that the government were concerened by the possibility that Thaksin may broadcast to Thailand from England, and maybe some smarmy gentleman from the foreign office paid Thaksin a visit and suggested that if he wanted to address a rally by phone to Thailand, they would prefer it wasn't done on British soil. He then fell for it hook line and sinker, and flew to H Kong, thereby enabling The UK to get rid of this annoyance for good. What thinks you?

Edited by Mobi