Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

nope. he is not done. not where it counts.

he still has enormous influence in the N and NE, people there love and trust him and will vote for the team he gives the nod to. his fans know he is being bullied but they are still loyal, the younger voters there love him too. his influence will be around for years to come , something the PAD are just going to have to accept unless they want to tear the country apart.

LOL

You are such a mess .... carry all the quotes but cut mine off so you can obfuscate the issues.

More than the PAD stands against Thaksin the convicted fugitive .. and those are just the beginnings of his problems :D

Sure, he has some problems, mainly from the bullies abusing their power, including some of the obbsessive bullies on this forum

but like i said, he will bounce back . after all, he has the power of the people behind him with their vote. so im not to concerned. :D

Yes. He will bounced back again and again. But each time, he will be pushed and trammed deeper into the sticky muddy pond and when he is stuck at the bottom, then it will be sonny Oak's dearest turn to play the tune? :o

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if they take away his visa he will apply to be a political asylum seeker, with all the human rights we have here and in the EU, he isnt going to jail in LOS anytime soon unless he volunteers to.

This is a really smart move by the UK Government.

Under UK law, you can only apply for asylum if you are 'onshore' , ie actually in the United Kingdom. If you can't enter the UK, you can't apply.

I guess they have just been waiting for Toxin to leave the UK, and then made their move.

The thought of a long and very public asylum and immigration case in the UK courts would have generated incredible publicity. Again, you can't ask for the protection of the UK courts unless you are physically (legally) in the UK.

So, since Toxin is not in the UK, he can't get the protection of the UK Courts :o .

I guess there might be a nice house going cheap in London?????

nope. he is not done. not but like i said, he will bounce back . after all, he has the power of the people behind him with their vote. so im not to concerned. :o

So pleased that you are not concerned, now the whole world can rest easy given that information.

IN6892496Manchester-_76722a.jpg

"Look, I'm not lost alright? If we just keep walking up that way and take a left, that's Togo."

charming photo, now contrast the above with this onepost-7932-1226222861_thumb.jpg or these ones post-7932-1226223547_thumb.jpg post-7932-1226223628_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if seeing the former scene outside Government House is worse than latter three :o

:o mmm.... That sounds bogus, the grammar errors within the quotation indicate a Thai-fingerprint.

As a rule, I don't believe anything people tell me in this country, that's why I have lived peacfully here for almost 15 yrs.

I would be surprised to see "bonnie & clyde" leaving the airport in cuffs.... that simply goes against the long and cherished notion that money can buy all-things.

If the UK actually does reject them they may find a landing ground in Canada along side the other blood-sucking leech that brought down the banking sector in 97' - Canada loves to be the "boy scout" in a world of wolves and tigers.

The great British public are not as gulliblle as Thaksin thought,indeed there was a lot of anti Thaksin feeling concerning his abuse of human rights and his corruption.

Moving around London and the U.K. in general with a bunch of tame goons in tow was not appreciated by either The Home Office or other deparments connected to national security either.Lobbying by certain people plus the coming and going of many of the ex cabinet undesirables did not further his cause either.

the cost of the litigation was also a considered point in the matter.Whilst the U.K. is pretty easy in its attitude to bona fide refugees it and the English public detest people like Thaksin.

Common sense has prevailed in the matter.

Indeed it will be intersting to see where the rabble rousing ''I have washed my hands of politics'' liar Thasin will end up.

he still has enormous influence in the N and NE, people there love and trust him and will vote for the team he gives the nod to. his fans know he is being bullied but they are still loyal, the younger voters there love him too. his influence will be around for years to come , something the PAD are just going to have to accept unless they want to tear the country apart.

LOL

You are such a mess .... carry all the quotes but cut mine off so you can obfuscate the issues.

More than the PAD stands against Thaksin the convicted fugitive .. and those are just the beginnings of his problems :o

Sure, he has some problems, mainly from the bullies abusing their power, including some of the obbsessive bullies on this forum

but like i said, he will bounce back . after all, he has the power of the people behind him with their vote. so im not to concerned. :D

"Sure he has some problems." SOME? He has many huge problems.

1. He's a convicted criminal on the run from Thai authorities.

2. He has no place to call home and hopefully that will not change.

3. He cannot access the ill gotten gains he left in Thailand. Yet.

"Mainly from the bullies abusing their power" Thaksin is a bully of the first order and was booted out for abuse of power.

There are no "obsessive bullies" on this forum that I have heard from. People with strong opinions both pro and con Thaksin.

As for bouncing back, think of him as a football that has had one too many holes punched in it.

Right now he's running out of options. He will be like a caged injured tiger now that his visa to the United Kingdom has thankfully been cancelled.

He will never be Prime Minister of Thailand again.

Over to you.

I would put money on Thaksin being an angry man right now. This is huge huge loss of face and his vengeful nature is probably well out of control. Things could hot up very soon not only because of the humiliation but also because the issue of a place to reside has become paramount. Lets put it this way the Bahamas, Bolivia and the Congo are not acceptable alternatives to London and even if he does find another temporary western home to his liking he will start to get paranoid of being devisa'd again if he conducts a politcal campaign and he is not exactly going to stop on that front.

Why should he be angry? He's richer than King Midas, and money is what he and his family worship.

Even if the denied-visa story were true, he could probably return to Britain with his diplomatic passport, that no Thai authority has had the cojones to withdraw.

If he takes a private jet to Britain, it would seem he'd have an easier time of strolling past bobbies at the gate..

I doubt Thaksin is angry. He can fly to any number of countries and be treated like a big shot. He's mainly wafting around, waiting for the opportune time to prance back to Thailand to take back the reins of gov't - so he can amass yet more money, and exact revenge on his enemies.

This is a weird story. Do you think it might be fabricated?

Yes it's true, I live in the UK and it was on the news yesterday

You can STOP answering this question 10 times already. I asked this very early when it wasn't even on the wires yet. Of course it is true!

I would put money on Thaksin being an angry man right now. This is huge huge loss of face and his vengeful nature is probably well out of control. Things could hot up very soon not only because of the humiliation but also because the issue of a place to reside has become paramount. Lets put it this way the Bahamas, Bolivia and the Congo are not acceptable alternatives to London and even if he does find another temporary western home to his liking he will start to get paranoid of being devisa'd again if he conducts a politcal campaign and he is not exactly going to stop on that front.

Why should he be angry? He's richer than King Midas, and money is what he and his family worship.

Even if the denied-visa story were true, he could probably return to Britain with his diplomatic passport, that no Thai authority has had the cojones to withdraw.

If he takes a private jet to Britain, it would seem he'd have an easier time of strolling past bobbies at the gate..

I doubt Thaksin is angry. He can fly to any number of countries and be treated like a big shot. He's mainly wafting around, waiting for the opportune time to prance back to Thailand to take back the reins of gov't - so he can amass yet more money, and exact revenge on his enemies.

:o

to quote some other poster ---- <deleted>

What do you mean If it is true? has the past approx 48 hours not convinced you with all the different sources?

He needs a visa regardless of whether his passport is diplomatic or not

Landing in a private plane he would still be required to pass immigration

Immigration and 'bobbies' are different

Are you still living on the same planet as the rest of us ? Your still doubting the news ?

You think that if he still has / uses a diplomatic passport that British Immigration are that stupid ?

Strolling past what bobbies at what gate ? You cant just fly into a country and wander around :o

You've been out in the sun too long me thinks.

Either you have never been to the UK or the mind boggles why you would think this.

Despite this minor problem , Thaksin will bounce back, he still has the support of millions of Thai voters, they love and respect him for the hard work he did to help them and to improve the country.

He just needs to get the right political team together , give the nod to the voters and its back to happy days again. The PAD are going to have to learn to accept the will of the people, and more respect for the democratic process

Which minor problem are you speaking of? His loss of a visa to enter the UK?

the minor problem i am referring to just happens to be the topic of the thread. why is that so hard to understand

anyhow you answered your own question on your first attempt, so well done to you.

LOL

He's gone way beyond 'minor problems' .... he's done.

they loved Chavalit....and forgot him...they will love the next one who give them 100 Baht more...

Seems to me most of you from The West have forgotten how things are done, perceived there. You've all been here too long. There's not a cat's chance in hel_l of Thaksin, having been given a very public bum's rush, ever being able to set foot on UK soil again, let alone apply for 'asylum'.

And by the very same token, Taksin, for all his wealth and apparent (to the Thais anyhow) 'worldiness', is simply a Very Rich peasant, with no idea of how Things Are Done in the West, insofar as, Yes, money matters, but not nearly as much as at least a semblance of being seen to be recognising a code of ethics, to wit, the law, from whichsoever country.

Plus - I reckon Tesco's were getting a tad annoyed about the calls to boycott their Thai branches - being that they pay far more in UK taxes than Takslessin. :o

Edited by jitagon

I have a feeling he knew the visa would be revoked if he left the country. I doubt his stable of attorneys wouldn't have known this was a possibility. One of the most common things to do with people who are going to be a potential problem is to keep them off your shores. If they arrive, as he did, and leave, don't let them back in.

I am sure he's at least one step ahead of the game and is headed someplace that won't extradite him. The Thai gov't hasn't exactly been prompt in setting up extradition treaties with a lot of places.

I have a feeling he knew the visa would be revoked if he left the country. I doubt his stable of attorneys wouldn't have known this was a possibility. One of the most common things to do with people who are going to be a potential problem is to keep them off your shores. If they arrive, as he did, and leave, don't let them back in.

I am sure he's at least one step ahead of the game and is headed someplace that won't extradite him. The Thai gov't hasn't exactly been prompt in setting up extradition treaties with a lot of places.

I'd tend to agree with you. As I've stated already in this thread, I'm just not convinced his lawyers could have been that stupid...

I'd tend to agree with you. As I've stated already in this thread, I'm just not convinced his lawyers could have been that stupid[/i]...

Pastrygate and Noppadope come to mind. I am sure there are more and there are many stupid lawyers.

If they were smart they could have advised him to stay put in the U.K. instead of swanning around Asia stirring up more trouble.

Once he left sunny England the door slammed shut. Good move U.K.Gov't.

Massive loss of face for Thaksin. He'll have every spin doctor out on this one, and every functionary enslaved to him will be on the case. "A mature democracy" as he describes it has made the decision.

I notice the bought and paid for MPs are already announcing a quick amnesty for master attempt. Things must be getting difficult for the self styled egomaniacal meglomaniacal mighty one.

The interesting thing is the UK announcement that it will not comment unless they need to respond to things Thaksin says. A classic we will stay quiet if you do. I wonder what they did it for and if Thaksin wants the reason coming out. Cue masses of speculation on his money movements, business dealings in the UK and what has been said in his communications, which I wouldnt be surptrised to find the UK monitored.

While we may never know the underlying reasons as it is easy to find a simple breach of visa regulations to rervoke a visa, I do wonder how much the UK enjoyed an ever increasingly vocal and violent political campaign being run by a foreign national from their shores.

No arguement at all with the first 2 paragraphs (or the last) -- other than to say the spin doctors are on the road to nowhere.

As regards the "not comment" in par 3, -- it's standard diplomatic practice not to comment on the refusal to issue (or, in this case, revoke) a visa. Diplomatic passports are also no guarantee of entry to another country -- persona-non-grata is the usual way of cancelling them out.

Which brings me to the point -- Thaksin and Potjaman's diplomatic passports were quoted when it was revealed their visas were cancelled. Does that mean, as per above, they are "persona-non-grata" in the UK? Need to check this out a bit more. And if one country issues a "persona-non-grata" status for a diplomatic passport, is that noted by every other country?

Get back to you on that one.

Wit.

If they were smart they could have advised him to stay put in the U.K. instead of swanning around Asia stirring up more trouble.

My first thoughts were along the same lines, but as others have said this was probably predictable and Thaksin's lawyers would have known that there was a risk in traveling overseas, especially with the planned telephone call from Hong Kong. I was surprised at Thaksin's statement to Reuters following his conviction that he had no plans to seek asylum in the UK. In light of recent events I am now wondering whether he knew through informal channels that the long term prospects were not good and that he already had a Plan B in place before the current trip to Asia. Though it is only a guess, I somehow doubt that the ban on re-entry was a complete bombshell to him.

The BBC are reporting that the visa was revoked by the British Foreign Office.

The BBC seemed to be saying that his visa was issued on the basis of him being a business man, and now that he has sold his stake in manchester city football club (notice - lower case letters, me being a United fan) that he has no further business interests.

It would appear to me that he isnt using his diplomatic passport - as i dont think they need visas, do they?

The BBC also alluded to Thaksin having a number of 'honourary' citizenships - meaning that he may or may not be able to apply for a passport from a different country. Presumably he would of course have to comply with the Thai law of not being able to hold two different nationality's passports at the same time....................................

I have a Thai friend, a woman married to an American, who holds both a Thai and Australian passport. She told me she uses the Australian passport whenever she gets to travel abroad as she finds the immigration staff more um, co-operative.

Also is my wife, she leave the country with her Belgian ID card ( not pasport) and in thailand she znter with her Thai pasport. never had any problem.

I'd tend to agree with you. As I've stated already in this thread, I'm just not convinced his lawyers could have been that stupid[/i]...

Pastrygate and Noppadope come to mind. I am sure there are more and there are many stupid lawyers.

Maybe they warned him that there is a possibility and he thought "I am Thaksin the Great, ruler of Thailand, Imperator of Asia....they won't do that".

He has done many things an adviser would have warned him.

I think this whole situation has got way out of hand.

The real truth is that Thaksin got confused and thought that he had to leave the country every 90 days and went to Hong Kong to get a tourist visa and they told him "No you stay as a tourist for too long already" .......... "Try Singapore" :o

I'm glad they bit him in the ass, Maybe now he can understand what it's like to have no visa for a country that you want to live in.

Buy a house, Settle down, Difficulty in getting a long term Visa ......... I guess now he knows how it feels. :D

Edited by EmptyMind

DFA EXEC SAYS

RP to 'politely' send back Thaksin

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/...nd-back-Thaksin

By Christian V. Esguerra

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 21:05:00 11/09/2008

MANILA, Philippines--Filipinos marvelled at how Thaksin Shinawatra turned around Thailand's drooping economy when he spoke at a business gathering in Manila five years ago.

This time, the ousted prime minister may find the Philippines' door closed to him should he decide to seek refuge here.

Foreign Undersecretary Franklin Ebdalin said on Sunday the government would "politely" turn down any request for political refuge from the self-exiled Thai leader, citing Manila's "friendly" diplomatic relations with Bangkok.

"If an applicant for a political asylum insists, the first thing the friendly country customarily does is to send him back to his home country," Ebdalin said in Filipino in a phone interview from Hong Kong.

As of Sunday, Ebdalin said the Department of Foreign Affairs had not received "feelers" that Thaksin indeed wanted to seek haven in the Philippines, after reports reached Manila about his alleged plan to seek asylum here.

"Of course, he wouldn't want to be embarrassed, that's why I don't think he would make such a request," Ebdalin said. "He's no ordinary figure. He's a former Prime Minister of Thailand."

:o:D

I feel very uneasy about this. Irrespective of the personal situation with thaksin, revoking someones visa when their home is in the country seems a very cowboy, third world response to me. In addition they have not revoked childrens visas, so just break up the family. None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

Anyway, I suppose just a further slide into mediocrity and deterioration in moral fibre, what more to expect from this corrupt and morally bankrupt UK government. Just remenber, it couild be you next time.

That's just how it appears to you Benjamat. Look at it another way, he will probably have been told this was coming, so it gave him time to get out............

If you really think that the UK has a morally bankrupt government, can you name, say, ten other countries who have better governments?

If you dropped 12 blank passports in Bangkok, 3 each from countries in N.America, South America, The Uk and Asia, which country's passport would be taken first?

Whilst the UK's may not be the first, it sure as hel_l wouldnt be the last.

The UK has a huge HUGE problem with immigration. Why is that? If it's such a despicable country, why are people quite literally queuing to get in? Why do they pay and take the risk to be smuggled in? I'll tell you why buddy, because it's a better country than the one they were born in, that;s why.

I say BRAVO to the UK. Get him out and keep him out. He is too hot a potato to handle. Now it becomes someone else's problem. Why the hel_l should the UK have to worry about how to handle an ex-diplomat who is now a convicted criminal.

Whilst I understand what you are saying I dont think the argument about which passport you would chose is valid.

I am not saying in any way that in the end it is not the right course of action, I am saying that to do it in this way is wrong.

To say that it is ok to do something because others may do it does not seem the way to maintain standards as far as I am concerned. Everything that is going on in the UK at this time is being done with a view to the general election in 2 years and not from the point of moral standards.

The UK does not in fact have a huge problem with immigration, it has a long term problem in the way it has and is being handled. For example in 2007 more people left the UK than came in but of course this does not make a good "sun" headline.

The UK recently changed the rules concerning immigration and skilled workers. This was billed as a major move to limit immigration in order to garner headlines and appeal to the baser instincts of the british people. In fact these changes only apply to around 15 % of immigrants, the other 85% are from the EU and other special countries and these can come and go at will including claiming benefits immediately.

The immigration problem is a politocal one.

Denying that their is a huge immigrant problem is like denying the light of the sun. I presume you stay in some remote village in the Scottish highlands. The rapidly islamisation of the Uk is only one to mention.

Thaksin Shinawatra, the deposed Thai Prime Minister and former owner of Manchester City Football Club, has had his visa revoked by the British Government, two years after he fled to exile in London following a military coup.

An immigration officer at the British Embassy in Bangkok has also e-mailed airlines warning them not to allow Thaksin, 59, or his wife Potjaman, 51, both thought currently to be in China, to board flights to Britain after a Thai court last month sentenced him to two years in prison for corruption. According to media reports in Thailand, Thaksin was considering sanctuaries such as China, the Philippines and the Bahamas last night.

A Whitehall source confirmed yesterday that the Home Office had revoked the couple’s visas under rules banning entry to those convicted of offences that can carry a jail sentence under British law. The Thai Government confirmed that it had been informed – in fact, the only person who appeared not to have been notified was Thaksin himself. “I spoke with Thaksin’s secretary and he said that Thaksin still has not been notified by the British Government,” said Phongthep Thepkanjana, a spokesman for Thaksin.

Unconfirmed reports said that the Thaksins had been granted honorary citizenship by the Bahamas. The couple are said to be in China, where they are building a £5.5 million home.

Pracha Prosobdee, a member of the ruling pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP), told a Thai newspaper: “We don’t have to be concerned about Thaksin and his family. There are the Bahamas and several countries in Africa and around the world that will gladly welcome high-quality people like him.” The tycoon first fled to London after the military coup in 2006 and bought a £3 million penthouse flat in Kensington, West London, and a £4.5 million mansion in Weybridge, Surrey. He bought Manchester City in July last year and sold it in September to Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment for £210 million. He retained the post of honorary president but the club’s board is believed to be considering stripping him of the title. There is also concern over his link to a 10 per cent holding of the club’s shares through associates.

Last month Thailand’s constitutional court convicted him in absentia of abusing his power as Prime Minister over his wife’s purchase in 2003 of a 772 million baht (£14 million) plot of land in central Bangkok. The court found that a government agency sold the property at Thaksin’s behest for a third of its market value.

The visa revocation puts an end to attempts by Thailand to extradite Thaksin from London. Indeed, it may have been a desire to avoid a complicated and politically charged extradition process that motivated the Home Office to take the procedurally much simpler step of revoking the visas – making Thaksin, at a stroke, someone else’s problem.

Thai prosecutors complained that the British decision would complicate the job of extraditing Thaksin. It will now be harder to keep track of him, and he could end up in a country with which Thailand does not have an extradition treaty.

Thaksin was the most popular, but also the most divisive, Prime Minister that Thailand has known. His village health-care schemes and programme of cheap loans won him the love of rural voters who had been ignored by the metropolitan political class, and carried him to three successive election victories. But many middle class urban Thais abhorred him, accusing him of using the vast wealth he acquired as a businessman to corrupt the country’s institutions and make it impossible to unseat him and his supporters.

Supporters of Thaksin still control Thailand’s Government, and this month more than 50,000 people attended a rally in Bangkok to hear him speak by telephone. Yesterday the Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat – Thaksin’s brother-in-law – said: “The revoking of the visas is the decision by the Government of Great Britain. We cannot criticise.”

SOURCE: timesonline.co.uk

If Britain won't give him and his wife an entry visas, then does that policy apply to Australia and Canada also? Doesn't Thaksin have a mansion overlooking Sydney harbour?

One of his newer mansions, being built in China, might be the place for him - perhaps he can get reacquainted with his roots.