Am I Beyond Help? Or Just Plain Stupid?

:D Hello, my fellow-expats. Anybody knows what I can do? If so, please speak...

I am a retiree, on a "O" type year-by-year visa. Has been in Thailand for 2 years by now. Have bought my own accomodation, new car, etc. Now I am almost happy...,except the fact that I completely ran out of money. Meaning, nothing except pension, which allows for comfortable life... But short of 500,000Bt for immigration visa requirement ( 800,000 minus pension ). I know, it is my fault, but what can be done now? Really wouldn't like to spend my last years like a rabbit on a visa run. :o

im only trying to help here now, this is hearsay , im not old enough to have tried,

a mate of mine dave (who has now died) had the same problem, he went to see a visa guy in jontiem, and it went somthing like this, 700 quid in start of month, then take it out, start of next month, do same and then again for 3 rd month, then you are showing an income every month that way it ok for ya visa.

as i say dont quote me on exacts, but generally thats what he did, about maybe 1 year ago.

good luck

chris

im only trying to help here now, this is hearsay , im not old enough to have tried,

a mate of mine dave (who has now died) had the same problem, he went to see a visa guy in jontiem, and it went somthing like this, 700 quid in start of month, then take it out, start of next month, do same and then again for 3 rd month, then you are showing an income every month that way it ok for ya visa.

as i say dont quote me on exacts, but generally thats what he did, about maybe 1 year ago.

good luck

chris

That is interesting! So are you saying the need to provide proof of pension income from the

embassy isn't asked for upon subsequent renewals of the retirement visa? That they only

ask for all that upon the initial application?

good luck

chris

For the income route immigration want to see proof of your income. For income within Thailand it will be tax-papers, etc. For income from abroad a letter from your embassy, confirming your income.

Showing bank statements is not enough.

I only can advise of obvious and that is to liquidate some assets to get to the 800,000 mark.

Also I recall seeing an advert in one of the local english lanquage newspapers offering loans to expats against their assets. A short term loan might do it since you don't have to show the money in bank for 3 months when using the combined income and money method.

It's either the above or visa/border runs.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am a retiree, on a "O" type year-by-year visa. Has been in Thailand for 2 years by now. Have bought my own accomodation, new car, etc. Now I am almost happy...,except the fact that I completely ran out of money. Meaning, nothing except pension, which allows for comfortable life... But short of 500,000Bt for immigration visa requirement ( 800,000 minus pension ). I know, it is my fault, but what can be done now? Really wouldn't like to spend my last years like a rabbit on a visa run. :o

For proof of income you need verification from your Embassy or receipts of Income Tax payments in Thailand.

So it is highly unlikely that fun fun's plan would work. I suspect something a bit dodgy going on.

If your pension is only 300,000 Baht a year, you do not really qualify for an annual extension.

Can always sell the car or join a Thai Language School such as one of the sponsors on top of this page.

That is interesting! So are you saying the need to provide proof of pension income from the

embassy isn't asked for upon subsequent renewals of the retirement visa? That they only

ask for all that upon the initial application?

Don't build your hopes up midas.

It is the same requirements every year. :o

I only can advise of obvious and that is to liquidate some assets to get to the 800,000 mark.

Also I recall seeing an advert in one of the local english lanquage newspapers offering loans to expats against their assets. A short term loan might do it since you don't have to show the money in bank for 3 months when using the combined income and money method.

It's either the above or visa/border runs.

Way to go! :o

A mate of mine owes 2.5 million Baht, but all his cash is in Sterling. He refuses to change it at 53 Baht/£, so he has taken out a Baht loan against the business he owns here. You should be able to do the same thing against your property or car. Interest rates are not high, and as pointed out above you only need the money in your account shortly before applying for your next extension.

Good luck.

"Proof" of retirement income for Thai Immigration may be satisfied by the "embassy" letter, which for the U.S. at least, requires no proof. You are making a statement that the ConOff notarizes that it's your signature on the statement.

Some embassies, notably the U.K, do require that a person establish to their, the embassy's, satisfaction that you do indeed make so much money per month, per year, whatever, NOT the U.S.

However, it is within purview of Thai Immigration to require additional "proof" beyond the embassy letter altho I don't think they do so very often.

Mac

Sell the car and start saving on your pension.

Sell the car and buy a motorbike or move to cheaper accomodation.

You could get a loan but what happens if you cant repay it ? Even deeper in the mire.

Education visa 1-5 years.

Failing that its the visa/border runs.

Its all been said by others,really,I'm afraid.

Sell the car and buy a motorbike or move to cheaper accomodation.

You could get a loan but what happens if you cant repay it ? Even deeper in the mire.

Education visa 1-5 years.

Failing that its the visa/border runs.

Its all been said by others,really,I'm afraid.

Thanks, mates. You have been very helpful and supportive. Appreciate this... however, selling off assets is not a proposition without losing a lot of money. Besides, what next?- still need a car and a roof over my head. Never ridden a bike... if start now, i'll likely kill myself. I am ready to go anytime, but not this way...

This leaves two alternatives: borrow 500,000Bt, or get a letter from the Embassy. Anyone can shed more light on this possibility?

I do not think your stay LONG TERM in the kingdom is sustainable. Based on what you said, you may be able to finagle a way to stay a year or two longer, but if that's all you got, you ain't got enough. The game is about money. I suppose you could go the education route for awhile, that is limited to 5 years and not sure you want to go to school again all that much. I don't mean to be harsh. I am not rich either, but if I were you, I would be planning an exit strategy.

Edited by Jingthing

I do not think your stay LONG TERM in the kingdom is sustainable. Based on what you said, you may be able to finagle a way to stay a year or two longer, but if that's all you got, you ain't got enough. The game is about money. I suppose you could go the education route for awhile, that is limited to 5 years and not sure you want to go to school again all that much. I don't mean to be harsh. I am not rich either, but if I were you, I would be planning an exit strategy.

Why do you say that Jingthing? He doesnt have any accomodation costs and if desperate he could

sell the new car ?

Why do you say that Jingthing? He doesnt have any accomodation costs and if desperate he could

sell the new car ?

He says he does not want to sell his housing and car at a loss. If he does, then he will likely have enough to stick in the bank and do a combo for the retirement visa. Then he would have a housing cost. But he clearly stated he does not want to sell at a loss. I would have to see the exact numbers to make a more exact guesstimate, just going on what he says.

Edited by Jingthing

:D Thanks, Jingthing. Thanks, Midas. To help take guess out of estimates, I can't see why not lay the cards down. Pension about 1216AUD/mth. July rate = 38,000Bt/mth. Today's rate = 28,000Bt/mth.

Enough money to pay all car, accomodation and everyday expenses.

No complaints. No need to plan exit strategy. Just short term need of 450,000 - 500,000Bt towards

satisfying visa requirement. I believe in DO NOT PANIC motto. Therefore this question about a possible way out or around this situation.

Note: If you entered the room without exit, use the entry to get out. :o

Well then you are talking about a short term loan. You could try one of those dodgy visa agents who provide them. Easy to find in Pattaya anyway. I personally wouldn't go near such places but desperate times call for desperate measures. Or if you have a trusting friend in Oz, you can make a private deal for them to wire in the money. You do not need to season the money at all for the combo method so that is in your favor. Then you have to find a way to pay back your friend, perhaps with a fee and interest. Transferring money back out is not always easy. Or you could just keep the money in there (as you'll need it in later years) and pay interest on it to the friend (now thats a good friend). If you show a pattern of in and out of big sums just before and just after extension applications, you run the risk of being given a hard time and under suspicion that it isn't really your money.

You face some difficult choices. You could choose to sell your housing and limp by on shorter term visas or ED visa while waiting for a decent offer, but I imagine its not a great time to sell these days. So you have options, just not very good ones.

Edited by Jingthing

If you cannot meet the financial requirements for a longterm visa here in Thailand, why not sell your car/condo or rent them out and then move across to Cambodia. AFAIK, there is no problem for you to get a longterm visa and you could stay in Sihoukville by the seaside :o

Simon

If you cannot meet the financial requirements for a longterm visa here in Thailand, why not sell your car/condo or rent them out and then move across to Cambodia. AFAIK, there is no problem for you to get a longterm visa and you could stay in Sihoukville by the seaside :D

Simon

But Simon you have admit there is NOTHING there :o I have watching to see how the place

grows but its like watching grass grow.................................and now with this Global Financial

crisis i dont think there will be a lot of development for the time being ?

• 1 year later...

Why do people put them self in this sort of situation? Couldn't you just rent something?

Your pension money do not qualify for a retirement visa. To borrow yourself out of the problem is not a good idea.  

If you want to borrow money, do it in your own country, not in Thailand.

Edited by bellste