Why Are The Immigration People So Bad Tempered?

Have you taken the time to learn the basic pleasantries and smile and say "sawatdee kha/rap"?

thats is very true .. (i belive so) ...

you get back the same way you say/act ...

and the same respect you give ..

this is my experience so far.

sure they are everywhere "bad peoples" .. but from my experience .. i meet more of them in a farang body as in a thai-officer body ;-)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I have done a fair bit of traveling and I have found the US immigration and customs the worst to deal with. Australia can be a pain also, never had any problems with LOS. I do travel with US passport.

Myself and my Thai girlfriend came back to Australia last week. The blokes running the scanners in Sydney were pricks to both locals and foriegnors, but the Brisbane immigration officers could not have been friendlier. A real credit to their department.

Sure beats the fat jerk at LAX shouting "WHO PAID FOR YOUR TRIP?" in a barely intelligible Latino accent, which was our experience when we went to the US together. In fairness, I've had good experiences in the US in the past too.

I think it's difficult to generalize, except that the smaller airports are usually better.

Theyre not that bad, not great, but whatever

I travel all over for work and ive seen worse, like Canada for example and im Canadian! Power trippers and ive found the States to be much nicer, India is hit or miss

The rest of the region is also hit or miss - but what do you expect?

Besides, who cares? Do you need a smile and a big thank you for coming to make you feel better?

No one can make you feel bad without your permission

When complaining about the "inconvenience" of immigration and security measures , does one's thought process stop for a second to consider the alternative and the consequences of relaxed controls ?

I for one don't mind the TEMPORARY inconveniences if the net result is a more secure passage and more efficient filter of undesirables into the particular country.

In general never really had any problems, i really don't care, as long as they do their job and stamp my passport. I've found immigration to be helpful and polite at Rasa Tower, and generally at the Airports when asking for information. On arrival they are generally a bit tardy, and the other week, I had a right old miserable bastard who went through my passport for about 5 minutes, and complained that I'd put the wrong flight number on the arrival card (big fuc_king deal). Other occassions I've found some to be friendly and polite.

As for Australia it is a nightmare, I felt like a criminal the first time I went into Perth Airport. Given a total grilling, for no other reason that some little jumped up prat trying to be important. There was no reason for him to ask some of the questions that he did, and some to be honest where quite racial, as I was travelling with a couple of Singaporean friends, he started asking about why I was travelling with them, <deleted>? Racist Prick. I did manage to get a couple of retorts in though, shouldn't have done it, as it prolonged my agony for a few more minutes. "Sir, are there a lot of drugs where you come from?" Me: "Yes, I deal them out at least twice a day pilss and injections.............................I'm a Registered Nurse". The look on his face was great, then he wanted to confiscate my golf shoes, "Sir, you can't bring those into the country due to foot and mouth in the UK". Me: "Yes, I can, here's the receipt, I bought them yesterday in Singapore". Anyway, I suppose he was just doing his job, but he was a pretty obnoxious bastard.

Enjoyed my stay there though, and been back a number of times, doesn't put me off as Immigration are not known for being smiley people in most countries.

They have to deal with farangs all day who have notihng better to do than to whine and complain.

I was thinking the same thing :D

I have been thru many times and never had a problemm; then again I am a pretty happy guy, and treat everyone as I expect to be treated. It does help if you also take time to learn the language :D

Obviously anyone who has a problem with Suvarnabhumi Airport has not traveled extensively; I live in the U.S, and am constantly thru the following airports DC, Newark, Philly, JFK, and Dallas as these are all first impressions on those coming into the U.S, the same could be said about these as well! :o

Take it in stride :D and enjoy the ride, life is short

I have been through the airport nine times on trips here. I can't say the guys have even remotely looked pleasant. No hassles, but they sure look miserable. I do speak Thai fairly well and sometimes greet them in Thai, but they never answer. Same if I do it in English. So, now I just smile and say hello in English. They are prompt, just really unhappy looking.

I know it is a boring monotonous job, but well, I can't help that. I can't go through there like the black guy in that comedy movie Kangaroo Jack and high five them!

I didn't go through all replies so I hope this has not yet been said.

Thailand is commonly advertised as the "Land of Smiles". So it should be natural to expect that behaviour even at immigration. I think the reason for the lack of smiles (and sometimes, as in the case of carelessly thrown back passports, lack of courtesy) is because the immigration officials at the airport are not allowed to take money from the travelers. Once you get past that, there are smiles abound: customs (chance for an occasional bottle of wine, a carton of cigarettes, ...), taxi limo touts ($$$), taxi meters ($), and then the rest of the country. Much nicer there!

I lived and worked in Bangkok 12 years and had to travel to regional offices regularly in about every country in Asia. Thailand is the ONLY country where I felt a lack of welcome at immigration, even though my documents could not have been more in order. Based on this measure, I thoroughly enjoyed immigration procedures in Vietnam, Beijing, Hong Kong, Korea (which now seems to have one of the fastest processes I know).

On behalf of immigration I would like to say: As all immigration personnel, these are selected based on their inability to speak and understand (much) English. So naturally all communication is abrupt ("You stand here! You look here!") and lacks the refined pleasantries one could expect from more proficient speakers. The job must be terrible considering the vast planeloads of immigrants, many of them completely clueless about immigration procedures such as filling out the forms. I's still expect some form of reciprocation for kindness but the truth is, this annoyance takes just a few minutes and is negligible compared to the waiting for luggage and the misery of getting from the arrival area to the taxi stands.

Once inside all is forgotten and forgiven.

It's funny, all I expect from an Immigration Officer (in any country) is to stamp my passport with the correct visa - I look elsewhere for the welcome. I just want to get through as quickly as possible - I don't need smiles and small talk.

My thoughts as well.

It's funny, all I expect from an Immigration Officer (in any country) is to stamp my passport with the correct visa - I look elsewhere for the welcome. I just want to get through as quickly as possible - I don't need smiles and small talk.

My thoughts as well.

Mine too. They are carrying out a national security function, not customer service. However I do also hope not to get an abrasive/rude/overly intrusive one.

Still, I hope any officers turning up early tomorrow make life hard for any PAD members they find loitering on the wrong side tomorrow.

In all the years I've been travelling around S.E. Asia I've never noticed the Thai immigration to be any different to any of the others. As for US immigration they positively made me feel like I was a criminal and that was years before 9/11.

True !!

right after the U.S. comes the frankfurt airport .. foreigners seems to be more welcomed as Germans.

in SEA i never had any problem or trouble .. or "too much conversation" as some complain about, diffrent countrys .. diffrent culture ..

besides the fact that they not machines ... but many peoples think like this ..

on the third day god created the diplomat/official lane.....hallelujah !!

Yes, isn't that a pleasure. Couple of times arriving at offpeak, the guy over in the diplomat line will waive me over. I'd like to say it's because I look so important, but it's because it's dead, but dam_n if I don't feel special.

So, anyone going to think they might be more friendly now that the tourists have been scared off?

It is easy to sit back in your reclining chair and say that theres no reason to be rude like that and generally you'd be right, HOWEVER, I reakon that is a sh#t of a job. The reason I say this is unfortunately I have to travel a fair bit & have done so for a considerable time, plus my ex-wife was a flight attendant based in the middle east.....and i use to get extreemly cheap airfares (and ahh constant upgrades :o ) but the one thing I have noticed is travellers seem to either LEAVE THEIR BRAINS AT HOME, or perhaps JUST TURN THEM OFF, when they are in airports and aircrafts. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to try and deal with some of the complete CLUSTER #%@*# all the time. I would imagine being at the tail end of a trip (ie customs man) would probably see the very worst of this.

Anyway, I reakon the thai lads and ladettes do a great job here & I have found that if you converse a little in thai with them (and im not that flash with my thai) you can normally get a laugh out of them. I pity them really, I'm not sure how much they get paid but its probably 50% of not much at all and it must be really hard watching the streams of losers past by them, anoying as they are and not get cranky from time to time.

Maybe its my face that makes em laugh???

Australian have worse people working at airport by long distance

You can`t even compare Thailand and Australia

If by any chance you have any kind of food On you

They will Strip search you and then they will take you for a Xray

i am not talking about durgs

i am saying even if you even have a candy this may happen to you.........

Australian have this Weekly program on which they show how custom officer treat visitors

its called

Border Security

AUSTRALIA'S FRONTLINE

youtube it you will love it...

and its for real...........

Have you tried France (Charles de Gaulle airport)...! One officer for 3 planes ... (sometimes they even first check at the plane exit !!!) ... plus waiting for ever for the luggage .... and this is from the country that has the most visiting tourists in the world ... Thailand is peach compare to that !

Australian have worse people working at airport by long distance

You can`t even compare Thailand and Australia

If by any chance you have any kind of food On you

They will Strip search you and then they will take you for a Xray

i am not talking about durgs

i am saying even if you even have a candy this may happen to you.........

Australian have this Weekly program on which they show how custom officer treat visitors

its called

Border Security

AUSTRALIA'S FRONTLINE

youtube it you will love it...

and its for real...........

I agree. I have seen it several times. I also saw the same about New Zealand once. They flat out did not like one Indonesian fellow that practically tripped over the sniffer dog that ran between his legs. After a while they decided to charge him with obstruction! The video was quite clear that he did nothing. His only choice was to pay on the spot or go to detention and wait for trial.

New Zealand is off my travel list forever. All countries no doubt have had customs and immigrations jerks working for them, but when they televize it, and say how proud they are of the way they handled the situation, that wraps it up.

Ashamed to have to agree that my beloved mother country (Australia) is the only place in which I have had a negative experience regarding this topic.

And, yes, it was when returning from Thailand... co-incidence? perhaps... there was no body cavity search, but I was worried for a while...

When asked why I was receiving this 'special treatment' I was answered with a question... "why? what are you worried about?" I'm sure that the typed words do not convey the negative connotation in the "officer's" tone but it was clear that his attitude was one of "guilty until proven innocent"

Never had any problems of any kind with Thai authorities...

Ashamed to have to agree that my beloved mother country (Australia) is the only place in which I have had a negative experience regarding this topic.

And, yes, it was when returning from Thailand... co-incidence? perhaps... there was no body cavity search, but I was worried for a while...

When asked why I was receiving this 'special treatment' I was answered with a question... "why? what are you worried about?" I'm sure that the typed words do not convey the negative connotation in the "officer's" tone but it was clear that his attitude was one of "guilty until proven innocent"

Never had any problems of any kind with Thai authorities...

I've been in and out of Australia well over a hundred times in recent years mostly to and from Thailand and have NEVER had a minutes trouble with customs or immigration officers.

The worst (scariest) experience I ever had was in Grenada (West Indies) about 1980 when anti-American sentiment was at it heights courtesy of Fidel Castro. The tiny airport was at the northern end of the island in a remote area not unlike a jungle, the capital city St. Georges being a port at the southern end. Nasty, nasty mean people. Wasn't sure my wife and I were going to make it out alive.

A few years later Reagan (assisted by Jamaica and 7 other regional countries) used the far-fetched excuse of "aiding endangered American university students" :o to send in the Marines and throw all the Castro "advisors" out.

Commemorating that day, October 25th is a national holiday ("Thanksgiving Day") in Grenada.