Sleeping Medications

WaiWai

I take atarax and melatonin and use relaxation techniques to help me fall asleep but they're often ineffective. I also suffer from pre-sleep myoclonus (severe jerking of the body at point of relaxing into sleep). I was prescribed clonazepam for the myoclonus some time ago but discontinued it after looking into its potency and side-effects.

Any suggestions for something to help me relax and sleep that's stronger than atarax but less worrisome (needs to be available in Thailand) ? Or do I just have to put up with this ?

Thank you.

Edited by WaiWai

xanax rather than valium,but i thought you can only get with prescription,not sure.Have taken xanax 150mg.only take half a tab,works well,but can be addictive for some.

On Xanax, you are right in that a few years ago it was put on the controlled substance list. Of course, it can be found here and there, but it is easy to get from any doctor.

For me, I hate Xanax. I use Stillnox (Ambient), which is also on the controlled substance list. I have checked with several doctors and they all say it shouldn't be abused (no more than one pill and never to be mixed with alcohol), but what they like about it is it is relatively short lasting. It gives you 6 hours and wears off quickly with no hangover.

Thanks for the replies. I don't like Xanax -- tried it some years back and had "weird sensations" :D . Don't really want to try valium, either.

I have been taking 1/2 of a .5 tablet of clonazepam for about 15 years now with no apparent side effects

Perhaps I should reconsider it. May I ask if you have the myoclonus, too, popshirt ? Anyone else have this problem ? It's a real b*****r :o of a disorder :D !!!

I will look into the Stillnox, too. Thanks, Old Man River, for this suggestion.

Further suggestions welcome.

I have been taking 1/2 of a .5 tablet of clonazepam for about 15 years now with no apparent side effects

Perhaps I should reconsider it. May I ask if you have the myoclonus, too, popshirt ? Anyone else have this problem ? It's a real b*****r :o of a disorder :D !!!

No, fortunately I do not suffer from myoclonus. Good luck.

Maverell: Melatonin is very hard to find in Thailand . Readily available in Phnom Penh if you have the chance to go there. U Care Pharmacy on Sihanouk boulevard carries a good brand.

OP: If Atarax isn't doing it for you I doubt benadryl will either. Zanax and valium are both highly addictive benzos and controlled substances in Thailand, best avoided especially since this is apparentl;y a chronic problem.

To the extent that it is the myoclonus which is causing your difficulty you may get some relief with clonazepam as previously prescribed. Valproate also sometimes helps with this. However nocturnal myoclonus is not in itself an abnormal occurrence and most people are able to either sleep through it or fall right back to sleep after so it may be that there are other issues.

You mention relaxation techniques, I would suggest you consider going a bit deeper than that and taking a course in Vipassnaa meditation. You will both learn a technique that will help you sleep and perhaps get at some of the underlying mental tension that may be the root cause. For listing of centers in Thailand go to www.dhamma.org, clickon Asia and then Thaialnd, there are a number of locations with regular courses. Same website also gioves information on the technique and structure of the courses.

good luck

Melatonin works well for me - anyone know a place in Bangkok where I can get it cheaply. I have been getting it for 100 baht a 5 mg tablet. I am sure I am paying too much ! ?

The stuff makes me sleep well and have vivid dreams !

Check pharmicies on lower Sukhumvit I pay 500 baht for 60 3mg tablets. :o:D

I have trouble staying asleep,and also suffer from some lower back pain so cannot get comfortable enogh to sleep well.I have been taking 1/2 a Xanax when the sleep loss catches up to me and I am determined to sleep well.it works great! I think I probably take a half every three or four days.is this amount relatively safe?...also is it very bad on the liver?

Thanks!

Mel

Maverell: Melatonin is very hard to find in Thailand . Readily available in Phnom Penh if you have the chance to go there. U Care Pharmacy on Sihanouk boulevard carries a good brand.

OP: If Atarax isn't doing it for you I doubt benadryl will either. Zanax and valium are both highly addictive benzos and controlled substances in Thailand, best avoided especially since this is apparentl;y a chronic problem.

To the extent that it is the myoclonus which is causing your difficulty you may get some relief with clonazepam as previously prescribed. Valproate also sometimes helps with this. However nocturnal myoclonus is not in itself an abnormal occurrence and most people are able to either sleep through it or fall right back to sleep after so it may be that there are other issues.

You mention relaxation techniques, I would suggest you consider going a bit deeper than that and taking a course in Vipassnaa meditation. You will both learn a technique that will help you sleep and perhaps get at some of the underlying mental tension that may be the root cause. For listing of centers in Thailand go to www.dhamma.org, clickon Asia and then Thaialnd, there are a number of locations with regular courses. Same website also gioves information on the technique and structure of the courses.

good luck

Clonazepam is also a benzodiazapine. In fact, it is ten times stronger than valium hence the usual prescribed dose of 0.5MG as opposed to 5 or 10MG of valium.

Clonazepam is certainly potent -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam . The side effects are worrying -- at least to me -- and it's not intended for long term use. I suppose I could take it for 2 or 3 weeks, hoping it might break something in the cycle causing the pre-sleep myoclonus.

The pre-sleep myoclonus is severe and can persist for hours. I have found accounts online from other people with the same problem -- violent jerking (some people are thrown right out of bed), sometimes with electric shock sensation. It may be "propiospinal myoclonus" /"sleep onset myoclonus" or what is described as "hypnagogic generalized myoclonus" here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ci6aVlN_N...9&ct=result .

Whatever it is, it's very tedious and disruptive.

Stillnox is said to be available in Chiang Mai at Ram Hospital (after consultation) at 40 B per pill.

I agree that a Vipassana course would be helpful.

I take atarax and melatonin and use relaxation techniques to help me fall asleep but they're often ineffective. I also suffer from pre-sleep myoclonus (severe jerking of the body at point of relaxing into sleep). I was prescribed clonazepam for the myoclonus some time ago but discontinued it after looking into its potency and side-effects.

Any suggestions for something to help me relax and sleep that's stronger than atarax but less worrisome (needs to be available in Thailand) ? Or do I just have to put up with this ?

Thank you.

A couple bottles of wine, one xanax and you will sleep like a baby!

Melatonin works well for me - anyone know a place in Bangkok where I can get it cheaply. I have been getting it for 100 baht a 5 mg tablet. I am sure I am paying too much ! ?

The stuff makes me sleep well and have vivid dreams !

We get it from a tiny pharmacy in Sukhumvit soi 11, the first shop in the arcade that leads directly to the Ambassador's front door and is clearly visible from the street (when it is not obscured by Singha umbrellas). 20baht per 5mg or you can buy a big bottle of 60 (not sure how much). There are plenty of other chemists in lower suk too, and I'm sure a reasonable number stock it too.

Edited by stub

If you have a real need for sleeping pills I would recomend you going to a doctor and try to get Zolpidem(Stilnocs) or Zopiklon. I strongly advise not to use benzos such as alprazolam(xanax) or diazepam(valium). Benzos stay in your body for a loooooong time and as most of you know is very addictive. They also make you very stupid and deters your memory.

I have been taking Stilnox and Zopliclon for years, I alternate them.

I think that they are very hard to get in LOS. I heard u cant get either. I grab them in Europe. I asked 2 hospital doctors here and they looked bewildered. The docs here seem to give Ativan and more Ativan for any nervous or sleep problem. Ativan is Lorazepam, similar to valium BUT neither is a 'sleeping tablet"--they are tranquillisers/sedatives.

Anyone know any good website where u can get sleepers without being robbed or raided??

P

Samuian has the right idea. Get some good exercise throughout the day. You'll find that as you continue with a good exercise program, you'll begin to fall asleep soon after falling into bed. Stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

On nights where you need the extra help getting to sleep, I'd stick with 5mg of zolpidem (marketed as Stilnox here in Thailand). Up the dose to 10mg if you're a bigger person.

Vipassana, Yoga, breath control exercises, deep relaxation techniques and a nice workout, extended walk should do and REALLY help instead of consorting to these chemical drugs!

I think that they are very hard to get in LOS. I heard u cant get either. I grab them in Europe. I asked 2 hospital doctors here and they looked bewildered. The docs here seem to give Ativan and more Ativan for any nervous or sleep problem. Ativan is Lorazepam, similar to valium BUT neither is a 'sleeping tablet"--they are tranquillisers/sedatives.

Anyone know any good website where u can get sleepers without being robbed or raided??

P

Don't know which docs/hospital you asked but it is commonly prescribed here, certainly in hospitals like Bumrungrad etc.

I believe (not sure) it may be a controlled substance i.e. not legal to sell OTC. In which case I would strongly advise against trying ti get it by mail.

And of course use should be kept to a minimum. Meditation, exercise, mealtonin all being healthier alternatives (melatonin especially helpful for the sleep problems that people tend to get as they grow older,such as waking uop a few hours after going to sleep, as these are directly due to declining melatonin levels).

Also should consider possible contributing factors such as caffeine use

• 2 months later...

I need to 'wake up' this thread again, sorry!

Can anybody advise me how to get Zolpidem (Stilnox/Ambien) OR Zopiclone (Lunesta) or Sonata----in BKK.

These are all sleeping pills, unlike xanax and ativan (most regular doctors here want to give me ativan, but it's no good for me)

Unlike USA or UK, these brands do not seem common in Thailand. Plus, I don't think that they are cash/OTC (you need Dr letter etc).

Any specific clinics or hospitals? Psychiatrist necessary?

My other query---what about the sites which post them? safe? expensive? which ones?

I don't sleep without these drugs. I know I should have herbs and hypno, but i am past that.

P Ed

P

Don't know which docs/hospital you asked but it is commonly prescribed here, certainly in hospitals like Bumrungrad etc.

I believe (not sure) it may be a controlled substance i.e. not legal to sell OTC. In which case I would strongly advise against trying ti get it by mail.

And of course use should be kept to a minimum. Meditation, exercise, mealtonin all being healthier alternatives (melatonin especially helpful for the sleep problems that people tend to get as they grow older,such as waking uop a few hours after going to sleep, as these are directly due to declining melatonin levels).

Also should consider possible contributing factors such as caffeine use

sheryl,can you buy melatonin at the pharmacy,what actually is it and how safe to use for sleeplessness?

I have used Stilnox and Zopiclone. I usually buy them in Hong Kong.

I don't like Zopiclone because it leaves me with a very metallic taste in the mouth, and even water tastes bad after eating Zopiclone. On the other hand Stilnox does the job with no visible after effects. Fortunately I only suffer sleep problems in China, not Bkk, I sleep like a baby here.

Try Amitriptyline-actually not used for sleeping but for depression but the side affect is good sleep.Great for short term problems sleeping.

No prescription needed at all if the pharmacy stocks it.

Go for 25mg tablets-normally just 1 baht each.

Chivas

sheryl,can you buy melatonin at the pharmacy,what actually is it and how safe to use for sleeplessness?
Melatonin is a natual substance that regulates your sleeping pattern. As you get older your body produces less 'Meletonin', resulting in aged people sleeping less. Its not addictive and available over the counter. As far as I'm aware, you cannot over dose on the substance. It's also recommended for sufferers of 'maigraine headaches'. Google 'Melatonin' to get the full information regarding this. Make sure you buy the synthetic version. It is freely available on the Internet.