High-season Tourism Outlook Bleak

george

TIT Twits In Thailand. :D

Its a fair cop :D Mind you, I'm not in any way biased against other parts of the female anatomy. How about you, made any good ' observations ' lately ?? :o

Happily married at present, actually.

She's 20 years younger in age, and 10 older in attitude.

Pretty conservative, and here that's a good thing.

My friends here were totally flabergasted when she appeared

from the north and stayed. 3+ years so far.

So I look, but don't touch, but no issues about looking at all.

Unlike many american women.

All parts are good if well maintained. :D

But I have friend's of many predelictions, and preferences in assignations...,

So I have had many a nice later supper on Suk huuuuum vit at 2 am

watching the floor show, hearing war stories and watching the games play out.

And occasionally the morning after, up at the crack of noon, brunch's too.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TIT Twits In Thailand. :D

Its a fair cop :D Mind you, I'm not in any way biased against other parts of the female anatomy. How about you, made any good ' observations ' lately ?? :o

Happily married at present, actually.

She's 20 years younger in age, and 10 older in attitude.

Pretty conservative, and here that's a good thing.

My friends here were totally flabergasted when she appeared

from the north and stayed. 3+ years so far.

So I look, but don't touch, but no issues about looking at all.

Unlike many american women.

All parts are good if well maintained. :D

But I have friend's of many predelictions, and preferences in assignations...,

So I have had many a nice later supper on Suk huuuuum vit at 2 am

watching the floor show, hearing war stories and watching the games play out.

And occasionally the morning after, up at the crack of noon, brunch's too.

Good for you and your lady. I'm in the same boat although not legally married. Known each other 8 years together for 6 ...... no problems yet. Never get down to Sukhumvit these days though....too far from the suburbs. All my ' looking and not touching ' has to get done in Tescos or Big C. While waiting for gf to buy the groceries I often sit down by the check out and play ' imaginary shag'em ' . I tell myself I can have any pretty girl that passes while I'm waiting for the gf. It surprises me how often I draw a blank. Meaning, a lot of women pass that aren't as pretty as my beloved. If you play this game yourself and scrutinise every Thai female you see its clear that they are not all drop dead gorgeous by any means. On the other hand, there are very few gorillas, in or out of the mist.

As for the er..... tourist season ( back on topic ) the fewer of them, the more for us ex pats !! :D

The PTA and the government will launch a road show to China in mid-December in a bid to lure in more tourists from that country, he said.

<deleted>, why do it in China, Chinese dont spend any money, they just walk up and down Bang La Road and walking street in Pattaya.

That's a general misconception. Chinese spend more than the average European tourist and their expenditure is higher than the Grand total average spending in Thailand by foreign tourists:

LaoPo

Table_Summary_2007.xls

I think you all need to distinguish between long haul short-stay (vacationers) and long haul long-stay (backpackers). There will always be intrepid and curious young people heading out on some imagined adventure to far away places. But clearly the current global recession, with the a global depression not being far out of the realm of possibility, will have a very significant negative impact upon the ability of those looking for a few weeks vacation, which is the bread and butter of the tourist trade in Phuket.

I think you all need to distinguish between long haul short-stay (vacationers) and long haul long-stay (backpackers). There will always be intrepid and curious young people heading out on some imagined adventure to far away places. But clearly the current global recession, with the a global depression not being far out of the realm of possibility, will have a very significant negative impact upon the ability of those looking for a few weeks vacation, which is the bread and butter of the tourist trade in Phuket.

"Thai -inbound- tourism" is for the largest part from Asia.

On Thaivisa we're always talking, thinking and writing from a western perspective and that's not the reality.

LaoPo

Moruya, I can imagine where you go to, tit's the wrong resorts for sure.

The figures say pre-booked occupancy 25% drop 80% to 55%,

but later it says a 30% RISE in rooms in Patong alone...

So are those 30% more rooms being counted in the lost bookings,

meaning 'now more rooms but the same number of punters'?

Or is it 30% less than the year before relative to actual visiter numbers,

and not relative to newly enlarged full occupancy numbers?

Certainly this rainy season has shown a distinct lowering of hardcore visitors.

And I haven't been hearing optimism about the coming months bookings.

But curious on those figures for sure.

Indeed I believe even if worst comes to worst, there will be more tourists in Patong during this crisis than as I was here 10 years ago. This is good reason for optimism, and the companies giving service and good prices to their customers should do still well if they can get through financially until next year, eg a lot of rip-off artists will die a sudden death when Patong gets quiet relative to the risen number of businesses.

In the long run it can only be good for Phuket, and maybe a wake-up call for the locals who still believe that tourists come whatever BS scams they are running on them. Good service, and finally the famous Thai smiles, which have gone totally missing over the last decade, might be back after some slim times.

The PTA and the government will launch a road show to China in mid-December in a bid to lure in more tourists from that country, he said.

<deleted>, why do it in China, Chinese dont spend any money, they just walk up and down Bang La Road and walking street in Pattaya.

That's a general misconception. Chinese spend more than the average European tourist and their expenditure is higher than the Grand total average spending in Thailand by foreign tourists:

LaoPo

I may be wrong but it seems nearly all Chinese/Other Asian tourists come on packages. This limits where they spend their cash. Here in Phuket they are ferried around like cattle and their money goes to a select few restaurants and other businesses.

More importantly, I would hazard a guess that very few Asian travellers spend very long here.

European tourists may spend less on a daily basis (how on earth do they come up with these figures?) but stay longer and thus spend much more in the long run.

I seem to remember that when the Pad Thai demo started the Chinese and Koreans were the first to back off.

LaoPo

1. I may be wrong but it seems nearly all Chinese/Other Asian tourists come on packages. This limits where they spend their cash. Here in Phuket they are ferried around like cattle and their money goes to a select few restaurants and other businesses.

2. More importantly, I would hazard a guess that very few Asian travellers spend very long here.

3. European tourists may spend less on a daily basis (how on earth do they come up with these figures?) but stay longer and thus spend much more in the long run.

I seem to remember that when the Pad Thai demo started the Chinese and Koreans were the first to back off.

1. correct. But it is not about WHERE they spend their money but the average expenditure per day, where ever in Thailand. The money ends up in Thai hands for most part.

2. correct; see links. Chinese and other Asians do not have such long holidays as their Farang counterpart; but to be specific: Americans, Japanese, Chinese and other nations fall off their chairs if they hear/see that the French, Italians and Spanish have a FULL 1-month holiday in August.... :o

3. correct; see links also.

THAILAND_AVERAGE_STAY_JAN_MAY_2007_Average_2007.XLS average length of stay of international tourists Jan-May 2007

Table_Summary_2007.xls average expenditure of International tourists by country Jan-Dec. 2007

LaoPo

Thailand's tourism bureau could help matters by re-aligning their priorities. They're still focusing primarily on high-end tourists (Elite card, grand golf courses, expensive resorts) and not giving sufficient credence to middle and lower spending tourists - many of whom may come back as bigger spenders in later years - if they become enamored with Thailand. Plus, there are many more budget tourists than big- spending tourists.

Some of those setting policy for the Thai tourism industry could adjust their game plan. For example, Phuket has thousands of places that sell fermented sugar drinks (alcohol) but how many places offer fresh fruit drinks or natural smoothies? That's just one small component, but if you add up a thousand such small issues like that - it gives the impression that Thailand doesn't offer a decent amount of healthy options for food and drink.

On the other side of the coin, there are still discriminatory prices for public parks and museums: Sometimes it's 10x as much for western-looking people. Compulsory gratuities embedded in hotel and restaurant bills don't endear travelers either. Again, they may seem like little things, but added together, they give a less-than-enticing picture for a place to vacation.

In my adopted town of Chiang Rai, for example, most backpackers use this town as a stepping off point to go travel for weeks in Laos.

Edited by brahmburgers

Interesting that with fuel prices dropping by about 55 percent there has been no corresponding reduction in the fuel surcharges that all the airlines were so keen to add to ticket prices. There must be some out there who don't want to fly with such rip off merchants, and prefer to stay at home instead?

i found in looking for flights, i can fly from las vegas to new york for only 295usd, will go home for the holiday's, that is cheap compared to 1600usd to thailand, 1600usd is my flight, car and motel room, i don't like to stay with family or friends like to come and go as i please, and have alot of people to visit in a week, anyway thailand is not cheap, from flights, to a hotel room to meals, if you don't want to eat thai food all week, its 3000usd or more for a week, i'm headed to costa rica if i go out of country again.

Compulsory gratuities embedded in hotel and restaurant bills don't endear travelers either.

Pretty standard in europe. France almost never bills without 'gratuity' included.

If you think of it as 'cost of service', as opposed to actual 'tip for extra good service',

then it's simply the cost of labor not being added into the price of the meal invisibly.

You pay either way, but tipping on top means you can stiff the help for bad service.

If as in USA 15% is for good service, you are paying 10% anyway,

and can choose to add the 5% if you like.

I keep having a dyslexic moment when I see this thread's title...

High-Treason Tourism Outbreak Peaks

Must be seeing too many politics threads lately... :o

Edited by animatic

LaoPo

1. I may be wrong but it seems nearly all Chinese/Other Asian tourists come on packages. This limits where they spend their cash. Here in Phuket they are ferried around like cattle and their money goes to a select few restaurants and other businesses.

2. More importantly, I would hazard a guess that very few Asian travellers spend very long here.

3. European tourists may spend less on a daily basis (how on earth do they come up with these figures?) but stay longer and thus spend much more in the long run.

1. correct. But it is not about WHERE they spend their money but the average expenditure per day, where ever in Thailand. The money ends up in Thai hands for most part.

2. correct; see links. Chinese and other Asians do not have such long holidays as their Farang counterpart; but to be specific: Americans, Japanese, Chinese and other nations fall off their chairs if they hear/see that the French, Italians and Spanish have a FULL 1-month holiday in August.... :o

3. correct; see links also.

THAILAND_AVERAGE_STAY_JAN_MAY_2007_Average_2007.XLS average length of stay of international tourists Jan-May 2007

Table_Summary_2007.xls average expenditure of International tourists by country Jan-Dec. 2007

LaoPo

These numbers may also be skewed by non-Chinese (i.e. Farang/Japanese/Korean/Asean) business people coming into the country for a few days for a meeting and leaving. I don't see how these figures can absolutely accurately reflect actual holiday tourists or their length of stay.

There are thousands of visits every day by businessmen/management of companies that are done on visa on entry, and people inevitably write their reason for entry as holiday because they don't want to risk that it raises a flag when they say they are on "business" but requesting a tourist visa on entry.

These numbers may also be skewed by non-Chinese (i.e. Farang/Japanese/Korean/Asean) business people coming into the country for a few days for a meeting and leaving. I don't see how these figures can absolutely accurately reflect actual holiday tourists or their length of stay.

There are thousands of visits every day by businessmen/management of companies that are done on visa on entry, and people inevitably write their reason for entry as holiday because they don't want to risk that it raises a flag when they say they are on "business" but requesting a tourist visa on entry.

I agree. If one says: holidays....no problem.

If one says: "business"...than the whole book of questions come up.....what kind of business...where do you stay....how long are you here for.....it's a pain.

I've done it myself many times: better say tourist.

LaoPo

Interesting that with fuel prices dropping by about 55 percent there has been no corresponding reduction in the fuel surcharges...

I just look for a flight on Air Asia's website, they are charging no fuel surcharge now.

I tried to redeem an airmiles ticket London to Bangkok return last week for a relative for flight at tend of November. 70k miles and 19k baht fuel and airport tax. Agent calculated about 16k of the 19k was fuel. He got a ticket for about 500 GBP last week.

It must all depend on their forward hedging for oil. Prepare for fuel surcharges to plummet next year probably. Too late for Xmas unfortunately.

Edited by Thai at Heart

[in the long run it can only be good for Phuket, and maybe a wake-up call for the locals who still believe that tourists come whatever BS scams they are running on them. Good service, and finally the famous Thai smiles, which have gone totally missing over the last decade, might be back after some slim times.

Sadly I doubt it. Remember those last ten years include the high season lost due to the tsunami. If anything things started to take a turn for the worse around that time with people scrambling for every baht. The worse the situation, the worse the scams and rip-offs become.

If tourist numbers drop as expected expect to see increased prices rather than reductions, which taking into account the rates of exchange will be a double-whammy for most tourists.

It would be good if certain establishments thought about the excahnge rates before raising prices unnecessarily. A round of golf in Phuket will now cost over 50 GBP, and that is at the cheapest course booked through an agent with caddy, club hire etc. on top. They are going to price themselves out of the market soon. Golfers will still play, of course, but if each of them plays just one round less than they might have previously then that is a big chunk of money lost by the courses.

On a recent visit to Patong I was stunned to see lady drinks in crappy beer bars as high as 200 baht! That is now not far off 4 GBP. These places should be boycotted, and maybe, just maybe, with less baht to spend, people might actually look at what they are spending money on rather than just go into a bar and wait for the inflated bill at the end of the evening (or even half an hour).

I have heard that tour prices in Phuket are now controlled by the TAT, who make it very difficult to amend the prices upwards or downwards. Many trips went up in cost following the increase in oil prices. It doesn't seem like there are going to be any reductions now that oil is back down again.

Smiles, customer service, reasonable pricing strategies: these could all help the tourist industry through these potential difficult times. But what's going to happen in reality? We can only guess at this time.

I want to wish all those involved in the tourism business the best of luck. I think there will be some tough times ahead.

If tourists are treated well and fairly, they will return. The rip-offs that occur are a real downer and a definite turn off for most people.

As we see from other posts the taxi/tuk tuk situation doesn't help when tourists have to pay up to 700 baht to get from Kata to Patong. For 700 baht one could drive around Bangkok for half a day. Trip Advisor is full of complaints regarding this topic. Phuket has a long way to go in becoming a world class destination and really needs to focus on cleaning this mess up and getting rid of the mafia behind it.

I have heard that tour prices in Phuket are now controlled by the TAT, who make it very difficult to amend the prices upwards or downwards.

I am not sure where you heard that, but the TAT would not have the juristic power to do that. What is true is that many operators build little cartels and fix prices, so only the downward moving of costs becomes difficult. Maybe one of the reason why it will be difficult to get a special price on certain aspects of your holiday activities.

I also hear many people talk about the fact that they hope that hotel prices will adjust;. If you are talking anything above a guest house this will not happen.

The reason is easy: the bigger hotels have binding contracts with big travel operators who print brochures, which takes place months in advance. As many hotels here depend not on walk-ins but their traffic from travel operators who pre-book rooms, angering those travel operators by underbidding them will hurt them in the long run more than having a house full of happy walk-ins in this season only.

Think about it, whenever you walk into a brick-and-mortar travel agency back at home you yourself are creating this dependency and hence the fix on high prices in the current situation (which were planned a year ago without economic crisis and the idea that costs locally will have gone through the roof with USD 200 a barrel oil).

Edited by jts-khorat

Nice discussion on China. Unfortunately, China is now beginning to feel the effects of the recessions taking hold in the west. The consumers that were gobbling up Chinese products have cut back on their consumption, the result is that factories are slowing, workers are getting furloughed and the shine is off the boom. Besides, the Chinese state enterprses have lost billions in the USA & EU as their investments tanked. I think the Chinese "middle class" junketeers will be in the same position as their western counterparts.

Thailand's tourism bureau could help matters by re-aligning their priorities. They're still focusing primarily on high-end tourists (Elite card, grand golf courses, expensive resorts) and not giving sufficient credence to middle and lower spending tourists - many of whom may come back as bigger spenders in later years - if they become enamored with Thailand. Plus, there are many more budget tourists than big- spending tourists.

Some of those setting policy for the Thai tourism industry could adjust their game plan. For example, Phuket has thousands of places that sell fermented sugar drinks (alcohol) but how many places offer fresh fruit drinks or natural smoothies? That's just one small component, but if you add up a thousand such small issues like that - it gives the impression that Thailand doesn't offer a decent amount of healthy options for food and drink.

On the other side of the coin, there are still discriminatory prices for public parks and museums: Sometimes it's 10x as much for western-looking people. Compulsory gratuities embedded in hotel and restaurant bills don't endear travelers either. Again, they may seem like little things, but added together, they give a less-than-enticing picture for a place to vacation.

In my adopted town of Chiang Rai, for example, most backpackers use this town as a stepping off point to go travel for weeks in Laos.

You haven't been to Phuket lately then where my area of Rawai is 'banged out' with shirtless, 'chopper' riding chavs.

I have heard that tour prices in Phuket are now controlled by the TAT, who make it very difficult to amend the prices upwards or downwards.

I am not sure where you heard that, but the TAT would not have the juristic power to do that. What is true is that many operators build little cartels and fix prices, so only the downward moving of costs becomes difficult. Maybe one of the reason why it will be difficult to get a special price on certain aspects of your holiday activities.

I heard this from a tour operator yesterday. It may not be the TAT themselves but an affiliated organisation. Agents can still discount, taking whatever commission they need to but the net cost of certain tours apparently cannot be changed without a lot of red tape and maybe brown envelopes.

I'm only stating what I was told and there could be something lost in translation.

Moruya, I can imagine where you go to, tit's the wrong resorts for sure.

The figures say pre-booked occupancy 25% drop 80% to 55%,

but later it says a 30% RISE in rooms in Patong alone...

But curious on those figures for sure.

2008 THAILAND INBOUND tourism statistics

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2008-Thailan...ti-t221815.html

LaoPo

LaoPo,

I saw this post you are linking to, earlier, and it still does not paint a clear picture.

Tourists arriving to Phuket, to date, 2008: % up or down compared to 2007?

LaoPo,

I saw this post you are linking to, earlier, and it still does not paint a clear picture.

I have no idea because the Office of Tourist Development* does not supply numbers for Phuket, separately.

Their website (be my guest) is a mess and difficult to 'read'.

If you look at this link **, for instance, you can compare 2008 versus 2007 from April>June to KOH CHANG/TRAT what "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments in Koh Chang/Trad" is concerned.

The number of THAI tourists to Koh Chang/Trat dropped dramatically from 132.317 /2007 to 101.701/2008 for the period April to June, which is -23.14%

The number of foreigners dropped a little from 48.538/2007 to 46.827/2008 for the period April to June.

* http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25 Office of Tourist Development*

** THAILAND_KOH_CHANG_GUEST_ARRIVALS__East_in_Thailand_on_29th_Otc_2008.xls "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments in Koh Chang/Trad"

But, as said, for one reason or another the Office doesn't supply numbers for Phuket.

NOTE !

I just checked another statistic; the January to March: GUEST ARRIVALS at ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS IN BANGKOK

There's something fishy gong on here.... :D

2007: in 3 months - January to March: 3.204.441 guest arrivals in BANGKOK

2008: in 3 months - January to March: 6.482.555 guest arrivals in BANGKOK = + 102,30%

The most amazing is the increase in that period by Japanese guests:

2007: 252.551

2008: 2.710.962 :o which is an increase of 973,43%

If you know that Japanese tourism declined 3.45% in 2007 versus 2006 and that the TOTAL Japanese tourist number in 2007 was 1.248.700 I think I'm quite safe to say that there's something fishy going on.

Numbers from this link:

THAILAND_KOH_CHANG_GUEST_ARRIVALS__East_in_Thailand_on_29th_Otc_2008.xls

LaoPo

THAILAND_Bangkok_GUEST_ARRIVALS_on_7th_October_2008_.xls

LaoPo,

I have no idea because the Office of Tourist Development* does not supply numbers for Phuket, separately.

Their website (be my guest) is a mess and difficult to 'read'.

If you look at this link **, for instance, you can compare 2008 versus 2007 from April>June to KOH CHANG/TRAT what "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments in Koh Chang/Trad" is concerned.

The number of THAI tourists to Koh Chang/Trat dropped dramatically from 132.317 /2007 to 101.701/2008 for the period April to June, which is -23.14%

The number of foreigners dropped a little from 48.538/2007 to 46.827/2008 for the period April to June.

* http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25 Office of Tourist Development*

** THAILAND_KOH_CHANG_GUEST_ARRIVALS__East_in_Thailand_on_29th_Otc_2008.xls "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments in Koh Chang/Trad"

But, as said, for one reason or another the Office doesn't supply numbers for Phuket.

NOTE !

I just checked another statistic; the January to March: GUEST ARRIVALS at ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS IN BANGKOK

There's something fishy gong on here.... :D

2007: in 3 months - January to March: 3.204.441 guest arrivals in BANGKOK

2008: in 3 months - January to March: 6.482.555 guest arrivals in BANGKOK = + 102,30%

The most amazing is the increase in that period by Japanese guests:

If you know that Japanese tourism declined 3.45% in 2007 versus 2006 and that the TOTAL Japanese tourist number in 2007 was 1.248.700 I think I'm quite safe to say that there's something fishy going on.

Numbers from this link:

THAILAND_KOH_CHANG_GUEST_ARRIVALS__East_in_Thailand_on_29th_Otc_2008.xls

LaoPo

2008: 2.710.962 :D which is an increase of 973,43%

Looks like a dyslexic moment for sure.

2007: 252,551

2008: 271,962 or 271,096

which is an increase of + 7.6% seems more like it.

That could be a possibility; some boy or girl made a mistake.....but that there is nobody to correct is...hmmmm an error ? :D

If I adjust the numbers of Japanese according to your suggestion it will end up in 4.042.689 Million in stead the number of 6.482.555 guest arrivals in BANGKOK.

:D ....4.042.689 guest arrivals in Bangkok in 3 months, January to March ?

The PLUS percentages in (Jan>March) 2008 versus 2007 are enormous:

France + 112%

Korea + 97%

Vietnam + 99%

Taiwan + 83%

Finland + 56%

Switzerland + 57%

Germany + 55%

India + 102%

NZ + 60%

Anybody to explain such huge PLUS explosions ?

LaoPo

That could be a possibility; some boy or girl made a mistake.....but that there is nobody to correct is...hmmmm an error ? :D

If I adjust the numbers of Japanese according to your suggestion it will end up in 4.042.689 Million in stead the number of 6.482.555 guest arrivals in BANGKOK.

France + 112%

Korea + 97%

Vietnam + 99%

Taiwan + 83%

Finland + 56%

Switzerland + 57%

Germany + 55%

India + 102%

NZ + 60%

LaoPo

TOT is in serious need of a true statistician,

that's the ONLY clear fact discernable...

France + 112%

Korea + 97%

Vietnam + 99%

Taiwan + 83%

Finland + 56%

Switzerland + 57%

Germany + 55%

India + 102%

NZ + 60%

LaoPo

Changes in the point of entry due to messing around with transfers at Survanabhumi? They also more worryingly show that only 11mn international visitors arrived by air. In which case, how on earth can Survanabuhmi be close to capacity? Those should be the easiest numbers to calculate since everyone has to go through their wonderfully secure immigration procedures.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Changes in the point of entry due to messing around with transfers at Survanabhumi? They also more worryingly show that only 11mn international visitors arrived by air. In which case, how on earth can Survanabuhmi be close to capacity? Those should be the easiest numbers to calculate since everyone has to go through their wonderfully secure immigration procedures.

Suvarnabhumi International tourist arrivals: 3,1 Million Jan-March 2008

TOTAL Thai inbound tourism 2007: 14.464.228 which is a plus of 4,65% versus 2006

That includes 1.5 Million with passports from Malaysia, 500.000 from Laos, 72.000 from Burma, 237.000 from Vietnam, 100.000 from Cambodia; total from ASEAN countries: 3.520.000.

LaoPo

I think it was Churchill who said "there are lies, dam_n lies and then statistics"

They can be massaged to say what you like.

Hotel's talking up, Thai authorities can do the same.

To get the truth don't ask owners or Goverments, talk to the locals who rely on tourism, all seem to be saying life is getting hard