Living In Pattaya

spuey

hi to all,

just like to introduce myself as new to the forum as i am now living here and would like to keep up to date with whats going on, and hopefully give some helpful input,

living here for a month now, allways visited it at high season, as plesently suprised that everything is still kicking as per usual without so many crowds.

looking for things to fill my day time, as cant spend night and day in the bars. thinking of maybe gym etc, maybe going to learn thai etc

anyone with any ideas of what going on clubs meetings etc would be great,

uk exchange rate is shocking, dipped below 52 yesterday which must put a strain on all uk living here, as im used to 65s.

cheers :o

looking for things to fill my day time, as cant spend night and day in the bars. thinking of maybe gym etc, maybe going to learn thai etc

Yeah, watch out for that trap. You get bored after a bit, then start heading over to the bar in the afternoon to chat with friends, play some pool/darts/what ever, then the next thing you know you're pouring yourself into bed at 3 or 4 am.

When you start doing that 5-6-7 nights a week, you know you're in trouble.

Plenty to do though to keep occupied. Search through a few of the recent pages in this forum. Not too long ago I posted (again) a large list of things to see/do that have nothing to do with bars and such.

Friend of mine tried a Thai course, gave up after the 2nd lesson and took up golf instead. Loves it. If you had hobbies back home, there are various hobby shops around.

The 2 main expat clubs I know of are the Pattaya Expats Club, and the Pattaya City Expats club. You'd have to do a google search to find their websites (unless someone else has the links handy). There are other organizations (like the Rotary Club) as well.

Just remember though, that if you start doing volunteer (charity) work, it's illegal without a work permit (no matter how well intentioned it is).

If you have a vehicle and nothing better to do, maybe once a week take a short trip outside the city. Khao Keo Open Zoo (up towards Sri Racha), the Buddha Mountain (towards Sattahip), or just pick a nearby place and take a leisurely drive there and back. Or a short jaunt to one of the local islands for a day.

The spiral of going to the bar(s) earlier every day and more often each week gets steeper and steeper the longer you do it. I've seen people at pretty much the bottom of that spiral, and it wasn't pretty.

I'd rather spend my days trying to teach soi dogs to speak English than end up like some of the people I've seen.

//edit: Oh, by the way, Welcome to ThaiVisa ! :o

Feel free to ask all sorts of questions (within the forum rules of course), but don't be shy about first doing a quick search. :D

H3ll, there's even people on here that can tell you where to go to get your feet pedicured by little nibbling fish !

Edited by Kerryd

Grab an issue of Pattaya Mail weekly newspaper. They list a lot of things. Small chess club over in Jomtien on the beach, bridge club, ballroom and swing dancing, dart matches, pool and snooker clubs, golf teams, bowling teams etc.

If you have an interest that you can't find going on anywhere, start a post here. You might find some follower!

I have seen some people playing poker online. So if you enjoy a daily poker tournament that is easy to do. Have heard rumors about some local tournaments for not very big bucks. More fun than anything else and after winning and buying some drinks one maybe pockets a few hundred baht.

hi to all,

just like to introduce myself as new to the forum as i am now living here and would like to keep up to date with whats going on, and hopefully give some helpful input,

living here for a month now, allways visited it at high season, as plesently suprised that everything is still kicking as per usual without so many crowds.

uk exchange rate is shocking, dipped below 52 yesterday which must put a strain on all uk living here, as im used to 65s.

cheers :o

Hi,

This thread might interest you:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Radio-Contro...nes-t87295.html

yes i lived in pattaya 3 years before i moved to Korat , i never had any problems doing something , bowls card night ,pool night ,golf sometimes ,boat trip fishing , dont end up in a bar everyday . if the girls dont get you the grog will and then there is the few expats that are trying to make a few bhat that will be your mate just to suck a few more bhat out of you .

cheers

I have seen some people playing poker online. So if you enjoy a daily poker tournament that is easy to do. Have heard rumors about some local tournaments for not very big bucks. More fun than anything else and after winning and buying some drinks one maybe pockets a few hundred baht.

But be aware that gambling, no matter how small the stakes, is technically illegal in Thailand. Don't know how that affects on-line gaming but just be aware.

To the OP, you didn't say where in Pattaya you are staying, that can make a big difference to your lifestyle and the temptations you will encounter.

Just to add to Kerryd, welcome to ThaiVisa and welcome to Pattaya. I'm not there right now, Seoul for a short stint, but after a while reading this forum you'll come to realise you've moved to a place that's a blend of the Bronx, Bagdad, Mogadishu and the Restaurant at the end of the Universe. Ignore all the detractors they're just jealous that they are too archaic to handle the pace of life preferring instead the Derby & Joan clubs out in the sticks. :o

Just jokin' fellas :D

Just jokin' fellas :o

No he's not ! :D

Pattaya is what you make of it.

It can be a blood-sucking, brain-numbing struggle to survive, or it can be an invigorating, lively, exciting, heart (and other organ) pumping thrill ride that you never want to stop.

As they say, "Up to You "!

Keep your wits about you, make friends, play safe, cheer on britmaveric at Jenny's now and then, try not to lose your heart (and head, and wallet) to the first girl you meet, and have a great time !

Pattaya - A Soft Place For Hard Men, and a Hard Place For Soft Men.

hi,

thanks to everyone for replys, some good advice. Staying east pattaya, near soi cow noi. Visisted pattaya many times before on holiday, but living here seems alot different, nice to be able to stay in at night sometimes without the feeling of a night wasted.

any idea where to get pattaya mail news from?

cheers

yes i lived in pattaya 3 years before i moved to Korat , i never had any problems doing something , bowls card night ,pool night ,golf sometimes ,boat trip fishing , dont end up in a bar everyday . if the girls dont get you the grog will and then there is the few expats that are trying to make a few bhat that will be your mate just to suck a few more bhat out of you .

cheers

I also use to live in Pattaya, five yrs. and now live in Korat. enjoy the area, weather, and people much more.

Barry

hi,

thanks to everyone for replys, some good advice. Staying east pattaya, near soi cow noi. Visisted pattaya many times before on holiday, but living here seems alot different, nice to be able to stay in at night sometimes without the feeling of a night wasted.

any idea where to get pattaya mail news from?

cheers

I used to live in soi khaw noi (Phanthip village #1). I believe it's changed a lot over the east side (aka the dark side) these days with some bars and restaurants opened. As you say It's nice to be close enough to the action to get out for the night but far enough to make it a bit of effort so it's less likely to descend into every night.

Get yourself a bike (bicycle) and go riding around the lanes. You get to see more of the surrounding country and keep fit. I would not recommend riding a bike into Pattaya. I did a good few times on a Sunday morning to rescue the pickup from where I left it Saturday night. Definately not for the faint hearted.

I play poker online whenever I wish.

As for Pattaya, if you are not working then you will have a lot of time on your hands. The TV is pretty shit with constant repeated dated movies so there is no help there. Bars cannot be the only outlet. Try the sports club on 3rd Road. Membership gives discounts on some places in Pattaya and they have lots of functions. Try your hand at 10 pin bowling or crown green if you want. Lots to do but living where you are you will need transport.

I don't know what is available near you but when I lived in Soi Khaotalo, there really wasn't much on your doorstep except the pubs. I've always has businesses so I've had a focus but without that I'd really have to get something organised.

welcome to Pattaya spuey.

plenty to do in pattaya,and especialy walking,i love it,about 10-12k a day keeps you fit in this weather lol.

been here 5 years now and yes you can get a little bored,then you go home for 2 weeks and realise what a wonderful life you have.

many years of happiness mate.