Sondhi And The Sanitary Pads

Bangyai

This extract from the Bangkok Post :

Spiritual rites and incantations have been performed by the PAD on numerous occasions.

The rituals, which have been conducted in various forms, have usually been held after Mr Sondhi has told demonstrators about black magic performed by his enemies, especially the one he calls the " Khmer Wizard ", as they attempt to destroy the PAD and strengthen their side.

The Khmer wizard is said to be Newin Chidchob, a former TRT executive and one of Thaksins close aids.

There have also been reports of PAD members placing used sanitary napkins at the statue of King Rama V to counter the black magic of the Khmer wizard, which is supposedly blocking the statue's power backing the PAD.

Full article : www.bangkokpost.com/101108_News/10Nov2008_news09.php

I was wondering just how many Thai people believe in the effectiveness of this kind of witchcraft and how they reconcile it to their Buddhist beliefs ? Even the UDD have publicy dabbled in this sort of thing when they opened their big meeting at the Rajamangala stadium, although, without using sanitary napkins. Many of the rich and influential are also said to consult spiritual mediums. And all this while we are often talking about the urban elite being better educated and clued up than their rural cousins.??? Do the Thais you know well believe in all this or do they think its just that some folk are more gullible than others???

Edited by Bangyai

Well having read this article.

There are "reports" of tampon placement, but nothing seen first hand by the reporter.

And 'alleged' black magic rituals. Sondhi says he is doing dhamma-based Buddhist rituals,

same as many Thai's, Somchai and Thaksin included. Spiritual cleansing.

There is nothing to confirm anything about black magic except some comment on Newin.

Many Thais fall back on buddhist protections if they fear black magic.

Since many country Thais do believe in BM, including Thaskin himself,

it might make the supports rest easier. And make merit.

They ALSO cleaned the streets on their way.. NOW THAT is unusual here...

Not much difference from the wests padres blessing the soldiers before a battle etc.

Or your local minster asking for blessings in tough times.

Edited by animatic

Well who knows how many practice it but ... PAD certainly has made it a staple of their anti Thaksin effort. Take a look at these conspiracy theory/black magic stories Sondhi and PAD have used to great effect. I must say that these soured me on PAD - I was a supporter until these incidents changed my mind ... Don't want Thaksin BUT cerainly do not trust PAD , then Democratic party or Sondhi. They want power and will stoop to get it. Just another clique wanting to dip from the golden water oong

Emerald Bhuddha incident -----------On 10 April 2005, Thaksin Shinawatra presided over a merit-making ceremony at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the holiest site in Thai Buddhism. Starting October 2005, the website of Phoochatkarn newspaper [11] ran an article alleging that the Prime Minister had usurped the Royal powers of the King by presiding over the ceremony. This led Sondhi Limthongkul to start using "We Love the King", "We Will Fight for the King", and "Return Power to the King" as his key anti-Thaksin rallying slogans. This allegation has been repeated in Thaksin's "Thailand Weekly" live tapings. It also became a staple of the thaiinsider.com website of Ekkayuth Anchanbutr, operator of the Charter pyramid scheme. A widely circulated anonymous spam email showed a picture of Thaksin sitting on a chair normally used by the King and asking "People are familiar with images only of the King and members of the Royal Family, all dressed in royal uniforms and decorated with full regalia, presiding over grand ceremonies in the temple’s main chapel. Yet this picture makes me think: What has happened to our country?". On 9 November 2005, Cabinet secretary-general Bovornsak Uwanno claimed that King Bhumibol Adulyadej granted permission to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to preside over a grand merit-making ceremony [12]. This was corroborated by Chaktham Thammasak, who was director-general of the Bureau of National Buddhism during the time of the incident. Chaktham claims that the Royal Household Bureau designed every aspect of the ceremony, including the positioning of the chairs [13]. 17 November 2005, the Civil Court issued a gag order on Sondhi to prevent him from making further "royal powers" allegations [14]. This immediately prompted Sondhi to attack Thaksin and accuse him of restricting press freedom. Sondhi was investigated on two counts of lese-majesty [15] against King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Counter-charges of lese-majesty were filed against Prime Minister Thaksin. All charges have been dropped after King Bhumibol Adulyadej advised against further action in his birthday speech. However, to this day, Sondhi still uses "We Will Fight for the King" and "Return Power to the King" as rallying cries in his anti-Thaksin protests.

The Phra Phrom Erawan Shrine incident

In the early hours of 21 March 2006, Thanakorn Pakdeepol, 27, broke into the Phra Phrom Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok and attacked the god Brahma with a hammer. After destroying the god, he was attacked and beaten to death by several people in the vicinity. Thanakorn Pakdeepol had a history of mental illness and depression. Thai police are still investigating the case. On his talk show on 22 March, Sondhi claimed that Thaksin Shinawatra masterminded the destruction of the god along in order to replace Brahma with a "dark force" aligned to Thaksin.[21] Sondhi claimed that Thaksin hired Thanakorn through Khmer (Cambodian) black-magic shamans. The vandal's father, Sayant Pakdeepol called Sondhi "the biggest liar I have ever seen". Thaksin called Sondhi's accusations "insane".[citation needed]

The Finland Plot

Starting May 2006, Sondhi's Manager Daily newspaper published a series of articles on the "Finland Plot", a theory that Thaksin Shinawatra and former student leaders from the 1970s met in Finland in 1999 to create a plan to overthrow the Thai monarchy and establish a republic based on the western democracies. No evidence was ever been produced to verify the existence of such a plan, and Thaksin and his Thai Rak Thai party denied the accusations. Thaksin later sued Sondhi and several Manager Daily executives for defamation. Sondhi counterargued that Thaksin was trying to silence the press.[23][24]

The Finland Plot

No evidence was ever been produced to verify the existence of such a plan...

Yeah, they didn't send signed minutes to Sondhi.

There was a meetingin Finland in 1999, it was organised by TRT, there were leftist academics present, the content went a bit too far. That much has been admitted by various participants in the local press.

There are "reports" of tampon placement, but nothing seen first hand by the reporter.

And 'alleged' black magic rituals. Sondhi says he is doing dhamma-based Buddhist rituals,

There is nothing to confirm anything about black magic except some comment on Newin.

Not much difference from the wests padres blessing the soldiers before a battle etc.

Well, thanks for dropping in. Nothing so embarrasing as having to get out and push your own topics. Even Plus has wiped his feet on the mat !! Well, I'll send you the 200 baht check through the post and I owe you one in case you ever have a topic that bombs. :o

More on this topic from prachatai :

www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=862

Well, Harrison George has never been a fan of PAD but he also notes the apparent contradiction of the PAD representing the educated urban elite allowing Sondhi to carry on like this. At some stage, his antics are likely to cause a rift in the PAD leadership. Unfortunately, he will be a sticky problem to dispose of, especially considering how much ASTV has been a help to PADs success. They certainly will take great pains not to upset him.

Asking around the Thais that I know, most of them have very little knowledge in this kind of ' witchcraft '. They can reel off the names of a hundred different kinds of ghost but that seems to be about it. The exception I have found many Thai women to at least have heard of is " yah sanay '....... love potions. You don't hear women talk about this much these days so it seems to be a dying belief but there was a time they would pay good money for something that would bag the man of their choice.

The scary part of these sorts of things isn't that they happen, but what brings them on. Whatever religion/cult/belief/superstition that one subscribes to, these types of rituals are usually done when one faces serious danger.

As an example, priests may bless soldiers who are going into danger, but you don't usually see them blessing the local boy scout troop.

Somebody thinks something bad is going to happen soon.

They are not falling back on 'Buddhist' protections, there are none in Buddhism save for one's own actions leading to karma. Not even the ubiquitous 'amulet' - (only in Thailand is this particular piece of nonsense believed - try wearing one in Burma for instance, no Burman would give it a glance), nor the rest of the many an various pieces of ANIMIST practices here).

Buddhism is to Thais as Hinduism is to the Balinese. A mix of either religions/culture/philosophy, and Animism. With barely a nod to the roots from which both sprang.

And the poster pointing out that the uneducated rural class were the same in their credulity as the ruling elite, was spot on.

Burma certainly have their own animist beliefs, consider the 37 nats.

Hmmm ...and the Pad have their <deleted>, who are probably going to be kept pretty busy trying to cover the airport with sanitary knapkins to keep the bogie man away :o

- in order to gain support of the LOst and the Older folk which will dash to their death for him , he being a smarter person which in my view have no problem .. making upo mambo jumbo whictcraft and voodoo to scare the folk into his control .

if i were to try to cheat some folk - first i would try to pretent i see the same view and believe in the same thing .

if the folk worship a tree and fear the Odd shaman , what i will do is find a Devil .

blame him for what ever doing . start a rutial and show the folk he can be the answer.

he is just a good liar .

Sondhi had lost his bearing as a decent human , he would do anything just to reach his goal .

Look at the direction ALl this is Going.

What victory . to thai maybe the pain and lost of the remaining majority thai while the small group of soreful and the misleaded

I would have thought anyone DESECRATING a ROYAL monument with a sanitary towel, should at least be arrested for the Thai's infamous lese majeste laws.. or doesn't this count due to the sponsors having a vested interest? And their ability to disrupt an international airport without recourse to the law! You ceratinaly can see which side the bread is buttered!

Edited by Underdog