Stockmarket Trading, Forex, Commodities.

Hi Paulo.

Ahhh, pivots.

Ive never quite understood why looking at yesterdays OHLC and dividing it should have any relevance to tomorrows trading in anyway whatsoever(is that all 1 word? :D )?

But I suppose it gives a good enough excuse to get into a trade, and of course if enough folks use them they'll have a self-fulfilling element? :)

Hey Badge,

All a pivot really is, is a S/R zone. What is the saying, BUY at Support, Sell at Resisance, When Support is Broken it becomes resistance, When Resistance is Broken, it becomes Support. All you really need to do from here is work out your RISK vs Reward, 1 to 3 is ok. Look at the Candle, Price action, Macd and there you have it in a nutshell.

Todays Trades.

NZDUSD still hold short from 7432 plus 66

EURUSD short triggered at 1.5010 plus 69

EURUSD sell stop hit @ 1.4977 plus 35

USDCHF long 1.0070 plus 47

USDCAD long 1.0461 plus 43

AUDJPY short 84.000 plus 34

As of 12.18 am 11/12/09 total 294

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Paulo.

Ahhh, pivots.

Ive never quite understood why looking at yesterdays OHLC and dividing it should have any relevance to tomorrows trading in anyway whatsoever(is that all 1 word? :D )?

But I suppose it gives a good enough excuse to get into a trade, and of course if enough folks use them they'll have a self-fulfilling element? :)

Hey Badge,

All a pivot really is, is a S/R zone. What is the saying, BUY at Support, Sell at Resisance, When Support is Broken it becomes resistance, When Resistance is Broken, it becomes Support. All you really need to do from here is work out your RISK vs Reward, 1 to 3 is ok. Look at the Candle, Price action, Macd and there you have it in a nutshell.

Todays Trades.

NZDUSD still hold short from 7432 plus 66

EURUSD short triggered at 1.5010 plus 69

EURUSD sell stop hit @ 1.4977 plus 35

USDCHF long 1.0070 plus 47

USDCAD long 1.0461 plus 43

AUDJPY short 84.000 plus 34

As of 12.18 am 11/12/09 total 294

Hey Badge,

Hi P

Im sure you didnt mean to sound patronising, but youve explained your views on trading, not the validity of Pivots, which was my query :)

I understand the tenets of support and resistance. Its what got me 10c on $ longs 2 weeks ago and 4c last week on shorts. 250 pips short on UKs FTSE 2 weeks back and 130 long last week. 10% shorting UK Bank, 10% shorting UK REIT and 15% shorting UK life insurance indices, over the last month or so... I assure you you'll find no bigger proponent of support and resistance than I :D

What I fail to understand is why the pivots should be considered Support or Resistance?

They are after all simply made up from a meaningless equation:

The Classic Formulae

PP = (HIGH + LOW + CLOSE) / 3

S1 = (2 * PP) - HIGH

S2 = PP - RANGE

S3 = S2 - RANGE

R1 = (2 * PP) - LOW

R2 = PP + RANGE

R3 = R2 + RANGE

So why not just add the range on the last 5days, divide it by 5, and add that to the weeks low? :D Why not just half yesterdays H-L? Why no pick any number, double it and divide by 3?...

Im certainly not trying to put you off, Im sure you do well with them, as do many other traders I know.

I just dont see why an essentially random number should be support or resistance? :D

Hey Badge,

Hi P

Im sure you didnt mean to sound patronising, but youve explained your views on trading, not the validity of Pivots, which was my query :)

I understand the tenets of support and resistance. Its what got me 10c on $ longs 2 weeks ago and 4c last week on shorts. 250 pips short on UKs FTSE 2 weeks back and 130 long last week. 10% shorting UK Bank, 10% shorting UK REIT and 15% shorting UK life insurance indices, over the last month or so... I assure you you'll find no bigger proponent of support and resistance than I :D

What I fail to understand is why the pivots should be considered Support or Resistance?

They are after all simply made up from a meaningless equation:

The Classic Formulae

PP = (HIGH + LOW + CLOSE) / 3

S1 = (2 * PP) - HIGH

S2 = PP - RANGE

S3 = S2 - RANGE

R1 = (2 * PP) - LOW

R2 = PP + RANGE

R3 = R2 + RANGE

So why not just add the range on the last 5days, divide it by 5, and add that to the weeks low? :D Why not just half yesterdays H-L? Why no pick any number, double it and divide by 3?...

Im certainly not trying to put you off, Im sure you do well with them, as do many other traders I know.

I just dont see why an essentially random number should be support or resistance? :D

Hi Badge,

Certainly was not being patronising. Was just giving a brief explanation for those who don't understand pivots, sometimes the word intimidates new traders.

Happy to hear you are getting some nice trades also.

With calculating anything there are many ways to do this and timeframes to work with it. I prefer the longer term and shorter term pivot meeting near the same point. This give a much stronger signal than just the daily pivot. As you know, the longer the TF, the more information, therefore the more accurate the signal. I belive pivots work so well is because so many traders are using them , (follow the crowd) which is why you see action at these levels, as with fibonacci, how many traders act at the 50% retracement level?

i am not going to go into the coding of pivots as there are so many different ways to calculate them. Below is a link to show the differences. I am not in the business re inventing the wheel, someone just need to find which ones suit their trading style. I do have my own calculations which work extremely well for me.

Don't worry Badge, you will never put me off pivots.

Hey Badge, have you tried "add the range of your last 5days, divide by 5, and add that to the weeks low"?

I am trader not a programmer, even though i can programme, but after learning metastock language, metatrader and a few others i just don't have the energy to keep learning and writing script. I prefer to trade and work on a simpler level. I have an excellent programmer in England who can do what i need anytime and he is passionate about it. Better to deligate.

Udate of trades

NZDUSD plus 114

EURUSD plus 153 second entry 119

USDCHF plus 94

USDCAD plus 70

total 550

Looks like we are close to strong support area's , stops tightened and profits taken.

http://www.actionforex.com/ chick techincal tab, select pivots and you will sill the different ones and TF

Reason for posting results is to show other traders that this can be done and not to satisfy my ego. I just want to make that point , as it can be taken the wrong way.

Also I am unable to post all my trades as i am too busy and will only post what i believe to have the best chance of success and then it can move against you at times.

Happy Trading all,

Am watching GPBUSD (cable)

Entry 1hr chart and 4hr chart

Entry placed 1.6855 stop 1.6886 . target 1.6800

on the 4hr and daily watch the 1.7000 level. This is a key level for a reversal or a break and close by 10 pips could see the trend resume. I prefer to see the 4hr candle close indicating a short. so be wary on the 1 hr entry at present.

Happy trading

post-49444-1258404346_thumb.png

post-49444-1258404366_thumb.png

I think its great he is sharing his trades. Why so many haters around here?

Some people find it difficult to trade and when they see my posts and results they take on all the emotions that are probably the cause of there own trading errors.

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.

HERE ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF TOP TRADERS.

CONFIDENT, ORGANISED, DISCIPLINED, SELF-CONFIDENT, MOTIVATED, SELF-CONTAINED, DETERMIND, FOCUSED, INDEPENDENT, PROACTIVE, OBJECTIVE.

I WON'T POST THE NEGATIVES AS THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT NEGATIVES. (even if the pound falls) lol

HERE ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF TOP TRADERS.

CONFIDENT, ORGANISED, DISCIPLINED, SELF-CONFIDENT, MOTIVATED, SELF-CONTAINED, DETERMIND, FOCUSED, INDEPENDENT, PROACTIVE, OBJECTIVE.

and big-mouthed :)

Don't know any big mouthed professional traders. Enlighten me?

I thats a dig at me. i suggest you don't bother reading this thread.

"live, let live and mind your own business!" as you say per your profile. LOL

Edited by Paulo1

on the 4hr and daily watch the 1.7000 level. This is a key level for a reversal or a break and close by 10 pips could see the trend resume. I prefer to see the 4hr candle close indicating a short. so be wary on the 1 hr entry at present.

Happy trading

Moved entry as market showing downward price action to 1.6840 plus about 30 pips

USDJPY have entered no great move yet , monitoring.

post-49444-1258429228_thumb.png

post-49444-1258429452_thumb.png

Edited by Paulo1

Happy trading

Moved entry as market showing downward price action to 1.6840 plus about 30 pips

USDJPY was triggered at two buy points, stop remained safe and moved to 89.32. profits have been talking from both entries for a total of 110 pips profit. Notice how it came down and tested the support of the hammer. This test would have been a better entry.

post-49444-1258481281_thumb.png

Happy trading

GPBUSD order triggered, stops moved and profits taken . Plus 136 pips. If anyone want a full explanation on the trades PM me.

Happy trading

Have posted an hourly chart of the USDJPY. The blue area is an ideal place to add another position to this trade. Stop about 15 pips.

post-49444-1258491610_thumb.png

Happy trading

Have posted an hourly chart of the USDJPY. The blue area is an ideal place to add another position to this trade. Stop about 15 pips.

Just a quick update on the USDJPY.

Chart attached.

post-49444-1258525294_thumb.png

Happy trading

Just a quick update on the USDJPY.

Chart attached.

its broken a few levels today. The USD is seems to be weakening across the board.

AUDUSD long at 9308

NZDUSD an searching a long entry also

post-49444-1258534712_thumb.png

A bit of advice please.

I happen to think the baht will appreciate against the dollar but cant see any options or forex futures for the baht. I dont want to bet on the dollar appreciating.

I can see you can do it by buying gold futures in Dubai and selling gold futures in Thailand - both are basically flat 4 months forward on spot but again I dont really know how practical that is.

Abrak, you could look into shorting Thai companies that rely heavily on exports to the US.

I'd be real careful betting against the dollar right now though, especially short term. The whole world is doing it, if a black swan event causes everyone to suddenly jump ship you really don't want to be on the short-the-dollar bandwagon.

Abrak, you could look into shorting Thai companies that rely heavily on exports to the US.

I'd be real careful betting against the dollar right now though, especially short term. The whole world is doing it, if a black swan event causes everyone to suddenly jump ship you really don't want to be on the short-the-dollar bandwagon.

Well I dont really want to short exporters. Thai export numbers for October, when they are released, will show export numbers up 50% on April and up YOY. Plus hedge funds are shorting dollar buying baht often in stocks.

But BoT cannot sterilize much longer - forex reserves are US$45bn to Bt145bn about 60% of GDP in a year. 20% of deposits are locked in the BoT doing nothing. Sterilization is 17% of the money supply. I dont want to bet either way on the dollar.

You are obviously much better informed than me on the Thai economy.

If you have confidence in the Thai economy and the THB, then Thai companies who's main expense is US imports will stand to benefit.

Not a bad idea.

But I really want some leverage or short dollar/long baht. It is a no brainer.

If someone wants to know the reasoning...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Financial-Cr...44#entry3154044

A bit of advice please.

I happen to think the baht will appreciate against the dollar but cant see any options or forex futures for the baht. I dont want to bet on the dollar appreciating.

I can see you can do it by buying gold futures in Dubai and selling gold futures in Thailand - both are basically flat 4 months forward on spot but again I dont really know how practical that is.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.xe.com/fx/help/mp-flexfwd.htm

One possibility I'd be mindful is that if China allows its currency to appreciate, it is very possible that it will be done in tandem with the Fed switching to a stronger dollar policy.

Some people speculate that the US does not have a long term weak dollar policy, rather they pretend to not care while playing chicken with China. A depreciating dollar without a bottom in sight gives the US a lot of leverage in pressuring China to allow the RMB to appreciate. An artificially low RMB gives China leverage over the US to instate a stronger dollar policy. If behind the scenes negotiations between the two countries result in one country letting its currency appreciate, it will likely be done on the condition of the other country doing the same.

If the two currencies go up at the same time, I believe the dollar will spike much harder than the RMB. A slow dollar appreciation will be very difficult when investors start covering their dollar shorts, while China can appreciate the RMB very gradually with their artificial exchange rate.

You are obviously much better informed than me on the Thai economy.

If you have confidence in the Thai economy and the THB, then Thai companies who's main expense is US imports will stand to benefit.

Not a bad idea.

But I really want some leverage or short dollar/long baht. It is a no brainer.

If someone wants to know the reasoning...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Financial-Cr...44#entry3154044

I believe you can trade THB via BarCap's FICC platform http://barx.com/fx/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

HIGH PERCENTAGE ENTRY Strategy. PM I believe, its so good I would like to share it with others. It works in all markets.

For sometime I have been working on a high % entry signal using Candles as price action and S/R levels. Using ,Evening Star, Harami, Percing pattern, Engulfing as a previous S/R zone. And then looking for a confirmation signal at that previous zone. Pic Attached.

Markets: Can be used in all markets, Equities, Futures, Commodities, FX, CFD's

Time Frames. ALL

Analysis performed on Weekly and Daily, daily posted.

REWARD TO RISK IS NUMBER ONE RULE. MUST ATLEAST BE 3 TO 1. ITS EASIER TO SEE REWARD TARGETS BEFORE CALCULATING RISK.

Rules. Candle signals MUST be at a S/R level, long/short

Candles signal Momenteum Change.

Harami must be no bigger than 25% of the preceeding candles length. Piercing pattern must go 50% into previous candle.

Confluence of indicators. Trendlines, S/R, Price Action breached at same zone.

Osicillators should only be used in LATERAL MARKETS.

Only ever use 1 oscillator at a time.

A market rising with small red bodies is a market in agony.

Doji turns trend only to neutral

S/R levels must be tested 2/3 times. Using a previous strong candle pattern which failed at that level.

Signals are preferred at the end of a extended trend (up/down). Note the word prefered. If found mid trend on retracement they work just as well.

Entries are sort on 1hr, 30min, 15min charts. Reason if you see a signal on a daily and you reduce periods you find a similar signal on a shorter time frame , hence a better entry=smaller stop. Which directly relates to Reward/ Risk. Reward is calculated by multiplying your stop 2:3 times. $1 to make $3 preferred. Longer the distance to an S/R level, better the reward.

Entry1 is pure price action, which carries higher risk, after completion of shooting star confirmed by previous Engulfing pattern. stop above R1 70 pips.

In the chart attached, notice the first Engulfing creating Resistance, the a retest bit the Shooting Star, confirming the signal. This formation happened very often and is extremely HIGH PROBABILITY.

Entry2 is a break of the TL and S2. Confluence of information=stronger signal, less risk

Stop moved to Break Even when first profit target hit.

Exits are at Supports and Resistance. Scaled.

This trade was done on the EURUSD entry was the 4/12/09 for a profit of 441 pips risk at entry was 70 pips.

For FX Trades you would have entered LONG on the USDCHF and netted about 300 pips. Two trades TF 1 week = 700 pips

post-49444-1260575599_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
g/y stopped out 100 pips lost.wished i had of held this from my entry short yesterday,would have been 200 pips up,but now lost.wishing gets you no were.lol

Can you either post chart or PM it to me where your entry was and i will show you why it when wrong.

SUGAR UPDATE.

take note Abrak.

Up another 6% last night. Has now turned into a parabolic trend that is just going straight up.

Well Brazil is having too much rain which negatively affects their harvesting hence less output.

India in drought which negatively effects their growing.

India has suffered drought like conditions last 2 months where they normally get solid monsoonal rain.

Reason price has surged so much last week is that even if it starts raining in India now it's too late the crop is damaged.

As a result can be very confident that will have the second consequetive supply shortage for year to September 2010.

India and Brazil are the two largest producers and India is the largest consumer. World wide Stocks of sugar have got low as well, and especially in India meaning India is going to have to pay up at high prices to import an additional 5-7mn tonnes of sugar (before drought forecast was for 1-2 mn tonnes of imports.)

Global demand is approx 160k tonnes per year, and supply will likely be 150-155k tonnes per year. THe year to sep 2009 is resulting in a shortfall of approx 10mn tonnes, hence why global stocking is low.

The thing will sugar is now everyone knows this and there is no supply response that can come on for another 12 months due to growing time. So this means as an actual physical shortage is felt then consumers food producers etc will be forced to pay higher prices.

THe other factor is that demand stay relatively steady no matter what the price is. SO sure higher prices will result in slighlty less consumption but not to the same effect as other commodities where higher prices really stop demand.

Thinks that's it in a nutshell....Reckon it's only the last week or two that the speculators have really jumped in.....Before that it was too risky as Indian rain could dramatically improve the prospects for their crop.

Why I just entered.The techs are right and the Fundamentals have just proved themselves.

THE END.

After much debate on this thread ubout the price of sugar. read this.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bright-needs-to-sweeten-csr-bid-analysts-20100127-myfz.html

I entered when i said I would and have made a very nice profit. Hope some of you did too.

Still holding contracts.

Bullish the yen. over 1700 pips profit this week buying yen.

This is what i sent my traders

EY entry was at 133.596 target hit 132.50 = plus 114, Am looking to enter short again sell limit 133.49 or 133.05 stop 50pips, sell stop at,132.28

Cable was a bomb last night sell limit entry 1.6483 stop 20 pips target 1.6344 , target hit plus some,= 142pips , the long entered 1.6365 prot taken 1.6458 plus 92

AUSUSD sell limit at 9154 profit taken at 9119 plus 40.

GY sell triggered at 148.18 stop was 148.60 plus 114 stop now at 147.53

Today its all about the YEN crosses and waiting for retracements for short entries.

There are alot of other good signals. Yhis should be a good week. Just need to wait for the right set-ups

2. USD gaining strength

Daily Swing Position trades

USDYEN reverse higher, slight updside bias. Counter trend trade. 88.55, must clear 92.00 area for long trades.

EURGPB downside on the EUR, shorts postions set near the 9100 area

EURUSD SELL 1.4690 to1.4700 stop needs to be 1.4850 area

NZDUSD Sell 7281 to 7317 stop 7367 longer term target 6741, 6460, 5770 wow, don't hold me to it, but you heard it here first.

AUDUSD Sell 9165 to 9192 stops 9250 plus. Target 89.00 zone

USDCHF Buy 1.0250 to 1.10285 stops 1.0165

Cable Sell any move higher 1.6321 1.6400 & 1.6436

3. EURUSD sell was triggered at 14655 plus 249

USDCHF have multiple positions varying prices plus 229, still hold 1 lot and traded 2lots from 1.0435 plus 38

AUDUSD 9168 target as above just hit. plus 247 pips

NZDUSD sell was 7280 plus 138

Cable trade triggered sell at 1.6318 plus 63

EG plus 117

Had a loss on the AUDUSD long, was a retracement trade loss 11 pips.

Total since I posted potentials = 1108

Entry zone for USDCHF is 1.0430 down to 1.0385. I also have limit buys in at 1.0281. Will monitor price action if gets close.

Had the USDCAD in my targets but missed entry zone.

4, Pips keep rolling in. Merry Xmas.... all trades are as predicted.

5.EU now 340 plus

UC 323 plus

AU 338

NzU 199

EG 168

Cable short entered last night 1.6348 plus 158 at stop

Dragon enter 146.60 last night plus 94 at stop.

Have added position short to nzdusd 7079 and audusd 8848

6.AUDNZD picked up 60

GPDCAD plus 111

NZDUSD plus 278 at stop

Cable short ay 1.6230 closed 6246 plus 158. still hold .5 stop is 1,6251

AUDNZD stopped once for a loss of 27ish.

Waiting at present, but am watching the USDCHF for short entry near 1.0480 and watching the Eur Usd 1.4032 to 1.3950. This will dictate any chf entry.

USDCAD 1.05454 area before i make a trade either way

USDJPY, should have, could have, but didn't.

7. This was posted on sunday 24/1/10

USD Index is moving higher key zones

Key levels 78.15, 78.50 78.85

Gold support 1080 buying 1050 area

Yen Currency Futures sent out a very good buy signal.

Shorts favoured on all Yen crosses.

NZDUSD short to continue

AUDUSD Short entry 91.30

EURUSD short zone 143.45

USDCHF look for long entries

EURCHF look for a long entries 1.46990 zone

USDCAD looks to be going higher

Cable looking for short entry on a bounce 1.6226 zone

8. from a student: candlestick formation ,i know you are a professor on them,well done..yeah s h i t weeks till this week so hope we go rocking again ....i do my monday gap on dragon ,in the morning i assume with the voliatilty we might get a easy 70-80 pips always a good trade to start the week... things have moved severly gets a tad tricky im assuming there is 600 pips on dragon, till wefind good support but will take weeks maybe to pan out...just trade the swings/...

9.Still short AUDUSD 9071 had a low of 9019 high 9091 stop is 9105 and my support zone of concedrn cern is 8980. Plus 30 pips

EORGPB short trigger 8780 stop at time was 8816 plus 65 stop now break even. fully bearish in this . Aclose below 8647 will see a 200 pip move. bur watch that zone 8647

Looking for short entry zone cable 1.6265 look ok resistance plus 50% fib 4hr , also lke 16343 entry zone

As for the YENs i am waiting for higher short entries. Bearish

10. 26/1/10 The Euro is going to collapse. I would not being going against any Yen pairs. Yen is to strong.

I am not going long cable even though there could be a few pips. Maybe news will change. i expect an up move before down. So i am just waiting for that to happen. If i miss it, so be it.

I do have a short order at 1.6368 stop 6405. That was placed on the 20/1/2010.

And am waiting for USDYEN to hit short entry target 90.40/54

with everything we just need to watch the sideways action and be there when it happens

What happening with me is the my Futures/ Commodities signal are opposite to what my daily charts are telling me. So thats why I am playing cautious. I don't know where anything will going go at present, but like the YEN futures

11. From a student "Gees you were rite abt the yen.. crosses..and the aussied..just pull my head in and wait till it settles..the usd index took off to the hiside like a scalded cat..You don't see me that bearish and confident of the move that often. Alot of work went into my calls. What i post is very little considering.

I have so many positions set and in good money they are now the past. I will run with them and see the end result. At present about 943 pips plus, and that is with stops that are wide.

Now is time to look for our next entries. And as Trev said. Rob the Bank.

Index is very hard sometimes to see the picture. You need to weigh it against oil, gold, Yen futures, Euro Futures. In the past i have struggled with it. One day maybe I will get it right like today. practice patience perfectly.

12.As i am already short I am looking at 126.17 break lower. I am aiming for a 125.62, 124.47 123.86.

Hard to say where the best entry we be 126.61 maybe, my short was 12800

I really think the market needs time to digest the present move. so its a waiting game for me at present. could be a bounce to 127.25?????????. My TFs are daily. In all Trev don't know. BUT I AM THE BULL YEN AT PRESENT

13.Three days results. 27/1/10 stops hit Plus 1167.* 15.5 full lots

Hold AUDUSD NZDUSD

Now i wait for entries

I have re entered many positions and my pip count his week is close to 1900.

Hope you all are killing it also.

Free High Percentage Play for traders.

Pair: AUDNZD

Dir: Sell/Short.

Price Zone Entry: 1.2745 to 1.2900. Reason for the difference in entry zone is that it is now trading in the SELL ZONE. I have entered .3 lot @1.2745 today 27/1/10. I like 1.2771 area

Stops: 1.2900 to 1.3000 always add your spread to the stop.

Target: 400 to 1000 pips

This is not a day trade , rather a swing/position trade

% win 90%

post-49444-1264580976_thumb.png

Price Zone Entry: 1.2745 to 1.2900. Reason for the difference in entry zone is that it is now trading in the SELL ZONE. I have entered .3 lot @1.2745 today 27/1/10. I like 1.2771 area

% win 90%

OK from above entry I entered 2 full lots as I could see upwards momenteum fail. From entry it has falling about 340 pips with profit taking on the way.

two areas of concern is fib resistance at 38.2 = 1.2500, stops should be above this area. 2nd area is fib 50% retracement at 1.2387. Will see a bounce in this area.

post-49444-1265179540_thumb.png

% win 90%

OK from above entry I entered 2 full lots as I could see upwards momenteum fail. From entry it has falling about 340 pips with profit taking on the way.

two areas of concern is fib resistance at 38.2 = 1.2500, stops should be above this area. 2nd area is fib 50% retracement at 1.2387. Will see a bounce in this area.

Nice work Paul :)

Not currencies Im familiar with, but mild bounces notwithstanding(is that all 1 word?), the chart says eventually sub 1.2300 to me?