Are There Any Meal Deals At Hotels In Pattaya

wileycoyote

I was looking at the Chiang Mai forum,and this topic was raised.

Because of the "Credit Crunch" ,it seems a good idea to post if there any special deals on buffets,dinners etc at any of the larger hotels in Pattaya.

There is also the chance you might meet a fellow TV poster

Ive always found the Hard Rock Hotel to be good, 590 per person weekdays, 690 per person weekends (was last time i was there anyway) all you can eat buffet + whole roast pig at weekends and the clincher for me .....free flow of beer and wine included in the price!!!!!!! You can pack away a fair few in three hours, and believe me the staff are not shy at dishing out the BEER!!!!!! Enjoy :o

Beverly Plaza Hotel, South Pattaya

59/35 Phratamnak Road, Pattaya 20260, Thailand

does a pretty good Indian food buffet nightly for 200 B. I think lunch also but not sure. Includes several heavily spiced veggie curries, all the traditional sides (mint sauce, raita, breads, pickles), two flavors of rice, and one chicken or fish curry, plus a sweet. Only water included. This is real Indian style and I do not think fans of "British style curries" or those seeking a tandoori meat dish would like it. But the Indian guests seem to accept it with gusto. I can say the quality has gotten better there since a few years ago, perhaps a new chef.

I took the poster to mean he was looking for cheaper options, certainly under 500 B, but what do I know?

Edited by Jingthing

Ive always found the Hard Rock Hotel to be good, 590 per person weekdays, 690 per person weekends (was last time i was there anyway) all you can eat buffet + whole roast pig at weekends and the clincher for me .....free flow of beer and wine included in the price!!!!!!! You can pack away a fair few in three hours, and believe me the staff are not shy at dishing out the BEER!!!!!! Enjoy :o

Wine ???? As much as you can drink ???? Really ??? Get out of the way I'm comin' through !!! Er......'ang on a minute.....this 'ere wine.....any good ? Not that fake crap they sell at the Cambodian border I hope ??? I don't mind the Californian Chardonay they sell in Big C. 13 degrees proof at 285 baht.....not too bad.

Oh, and the breakfast buffet at the Lek or the Apex on 2nd road at 100 ish a go is not too bad if you like to get well stuffed early in the day and spend lunch in the karzi. :D

Oh, and the breakfast buffet at the Lek or the Apex on 2nd road at 100 ish a go is not too bad if you like to get well stuffed early in the day and spend lunch in the karzi. :o

What is a karzi?

I had to look that one up also! It is (British?) slang for TOILET.

I was looking at the Chiang Mai forum,and this topic was raised.

Because of the "Credit Crunch" ,it seems a good idea to post if there any special deals on buffets,dinners etc at any of the larger hotels in Pattaya.

There is also the chance you might meet a fellow TV poster

At the Apex for the breakfast buffet and I think the evening buffet they sell a book of 10 buffet tickets which gives you one free meal (when you buy the book).

Pretty much everyone already knows about the Lek. Pretty poor quality in my view but can't complain at that price.

Yes, most of the buffet places are well known and the quality is suspect . But as you say....for the price...can't complain. Some places will charge 30 baht just for a coffee !

At a buffet you can have several refills plus tea and a fruit juice....which probably explains why I end up in the ' smallest room ' half an hour afterwards :o

For a straight good value English breakfast though, hard to beat ' Crazy Daves ' at 65 baht for bacon , eggs ( any way ) English sausage, tomato, beans, fried bread, toast and coffee or tea.

Normaly have just a coffee and toast for breakfast but when you're at the seaside you might as well ' push the boat out."

Beverly Plaza Hotel, South Pattaya

59/35 Phratamnak Road, Pattaya 20260, Thailand

does a pretty good Indian food buffet nightly for 200 B. I think lunch also but not sure. Includes several heavily spiced veggie curries, all the traditional sides (mint sauce, raita, breads, pickles), two flavors of rice, and one chicken or fish curry, plus a sweet. Only water included. This is real Indian style and I do not think fans of "British style curries" or those seeking a tandoori meat dish would like it. But the Indian guests seem to accept it with gusto. I can say the quality has gotten better there since a few years ago, perhaps a new chef.

I took the poster to mean he was looking for cheaper options, certainly under 500 B, but what do I know?

I went there to eat once, but I lost my appetite watching all the Indians using their hands to eat messy curries...then I started thinking about the hand to mouth thing and them picking up stuff off the buffet with their hands....

That sounds a good price for the Hard Rock Buffet

Thank You LennyW

Doy you know if they have a reduced price for children

I am sure they do have a deal for children, cant remember what it was though, under 12's eat free maybe - seems to ring a bell. The free flow includes soft drinks too, and yes the wine was very drinkable!!

If you are going to try it , dont forget as well as the huge buffet inside, there is also the BBQ outside, prawns n stuff mmmmmmmm..... :o

I went there to eat once, but I lost my appetite watching all the Indians using their hands to eat messy curries...then I started thinking about the hand to mouth thing and them picking up stuff off the buffet with their hands....

It is an authentic experience. That is how Indians eat. That is their custom. The Indian attitude is that using utensils to put the food in the mouth is like a food CONDOM, and given that food is not dangerous, there is some logic to it. There are large metal spoons for putting the food on the plate. I don't really care if you liked it or not, but what you wrote is just not respectful to another culture.

The bad places mentioned remind me of the TV show CHEERS. They used to go eat at this place called the Hungery Heffer and they would always get sick, but the price was great. Norm said Monday night was the "loobster". Diane corrected him and said you mean "lobster". Norm said, if you say so. Thursday was the "Prime Bef". Again Diane corrected him and said you mean "Prime Beef", and Norm said, If you say so.

Pretty much everyone already knows about the Lek. Pretty poor quality in my view but can't complain at that price.

For a straight good value English breakfast though, hard to beat ' Crazy Daves ' at 65 baht for bacon , eggs ( any way ) English sausage, tomato, beans, fried bread, toast and coffee or tea.

I hope that you are joking Bangyai!

There have been numerous threads about the food quality at 'Crazy Dave's'.

My personal experience of their breakfast, is of an unctuous mass of suppurating congealed eggs and rubbery bacon, complimented with a visceral sausage and sub-standard adamantine baked beans. To conclude; I would avoid this mephitic mass at all costs, it gives me gastritis just thinking about it.

It is an authentic experience. That is how Indians eat. That is their custom. The Indian attitude is that using utensils to put the food in the mouth is like a food CONDOM, and given that food is not dangerous, there is some logic to it. There are large metal spoons for putting the food on the plate. I don't really care if you liked it or not, but what you wrote is just not respectful to another culture.

I don't really care that you don't care whether I liked it or not. I don't even care if you were offended by my comments....I merely stated that watching people each messy curries with their hands in a restaurant puts me off my food. There's a lot of finger licking and slobbering going on there.

I made a personal observation of how it affects me personally. I got diarrhea after my meal there too which didn't help my perception one bit.

Whether it's their culture or not, there's far too much hand to mouth to buffet contact to be hygienic.

My girlfriend is Filipino and they love to eat with their hands, but not in restaurants. Believe it or not it even put her off her food to watch them.

This is a forum where people give their personal opinions about restaurants and other places so people can decide if they wish to partake. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be put off by this so it was worth mentioning.

Edited by tropo

I think the Apex on 2nd road is great value. I ate there about 4 mornings last week. 110 Baht Buffet breakfast, all you can eat. They put on a good spread and theres always plenty of people there.

They also do a buffet dinner for 180 Baht but I never got the chance to try this.

Molly Malones on walking street has daily specials and good food.

You can always eat the street food, various meats on sticks are good value.

There's a table and chair set up on the side of the road on soi 15 off Walking Street near Mistys in the evening. Chicken & Rice, soup and a drink is about 50 Baht.

.I merely stated that watching people each messy curries with their hands in a restaurant puts me off my food. There's a lot of finger licking and slobbering going on there.

You are right, so sorry I bit your head off. I suppose there are a lot of westerners who move here from halfway around the world who don't have a stomach for alien cultures. See you at the Sizzler.

BTW, maybe we should open this up to ALL buffets in town, why limit it to hotel buffets?

Edited by Jingthing

.I merely stated that watching people each messy curries with their hands in a restaurant puts me off my food. There's a lot of finger licking and slobbering going on there.

You are right, so sorry I bit your head off. I suppose there are a lot of westerners who move here from halfway around the world who don't have a stomach for alien cultures. See you at the Sizzler.

BTW, maybe we should open this up to ALL buffets in town, why limit it to hotel buffets?

I don't have a problem with alien cultures at all, it's just that my digestive system has a problem with alien bacteria found in alien food no matter whether I enjoy the food going in or not. I'm not shy to admit my system is sensitive and I would prefer a more cast iron constitution, but it is what it is.

Sizzler is not on my list either.

You were talking about the Indian buffet so that's why I made a comment on this particular buffet. I'm quite particular about which buffets I eat at and like to be first in when I do go. You'll never see me at the Lek or Apex buffets.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I enjoyed the taste of the food at the Indian buffet.

(BTW, I don't travel half way around the world to get here. Here's an interesting tidbit for people interested in geography. The closest point from Thailand to Australia is about 3,350km. The longest east - west straight distance in Australia is 4,050 km. Could I even be considered a "Westerner" coming from the deep south in the eastern hemisphere? A southerner or south-easterner would be more accurate.)

Edited by tropo

I hope that you are joking Bangyai!

There have been numerous threads about the food quality at 'Crazy Dave's'.

My personal experience of their breakfast, is of an unctuous mass of suppurating congealed eggs and rubbery bacon, complimented with a visceral sausage and sub-standard adamantine baked beans. To conclude; I would avoid this mephitic mass at all costs, it gives me gastritis just thinking about it.

I guess I won't be competing for toilet space with you then. To be fair I have a friend who says he wouldn't be seen dead eating there........after eating there....maybe :D However, if you are going to have an unhealthy cooked breakfast somewhere the competition is usually worse !! White bread with a shelf life of decades, bacon that shrinks to one tenth its side when cooked, sausages ( mini hot dogs ) made of something I hate to contemplate etc etc. Any useful suggestions for a decent breakfast ????

The best breakfast I ever had in Thailand was in a place called ' The Parrot ' in Khon Kaen. Wholemeal bread made on site.

As for Crazy Daves, well he does seem to pack them in regardless ? :o

BTW I am indebted to you for pointing out the other threads about Crazy Daves.....some funny reading there :D

Edited by Bangyai

Breakfast - Kim's Guest House on 3rd Road, just past Pattaya Klang on your left heading north.

80 Baht - 2 fried eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, and two grilled mini hot dogs, coffee/tea, orange juice, fresh brown bread, butter and jam. They do have other breakfasts but this is the only one I have.

[quote name='Bangyai' post='2338645' date='2008-11-18 13:16:30'I guess I won't be competing for toilet space with you then. To be fair I have a friend who says he wouldn't be seen dead eating there........after eating there....maybe :D However, if you are going to have an unhealthy cooked breakfast somewhere the competition is usually worse !! White bread with a shelf life of decades, bacon that shrinks to one tenth its side when cooked, sausages ( mini hot dogs ) made of something I hate to contemplate etc etc. Any useful suggestions for a decent breakfast ????

The best breakfast I ever had in Thailand was in a place called ' The Parrot ' in Khon Kaen. Wholemeal bread made on site.

As for Crazy Daves, well he does seem to pack them in regardless ? :o

BTW I am indebted to you for pointing out the other threads about Crazy Daves.....some funny reading there :D

2 doors down the road is Canterbury Tales, a few baht more for a decent breakfast.

I have never been to a buffet in Pattaya, but this thread is inspiring me to try it, keep the suggestions coming folks.

Edited by QED

My one and only "culinary" experience at Crazy Daves (done in the spirit of adventure, just how bad can cheap food be) was without a doubt the most disturbing plate of food I have ever been presented in our fair Asian fleshpot of a city.

Despite seeing his adverts on telly for years I managed to avoid the place. Then a friend fell in with it for his breakfast when on holiday so I went along one morning. Truly awful place, stank like an old cinema where the furniture hasn't been changed in 30 years. The cup of tea was ok.

I always avoid buffets. Cooked to order is my thing. That said, some of the better hotels buffets are sort of cook to order as well. Marriott was the last one I went to in Bangkok.

For breakfast then the sausage makes or breaks it and sadly the Sportsman's sausages have been changed and downgraded to some horrible crap.

The Pig is ok and dependable. There is a place on Soi 13 I think with a name like King / Queen I seem to remember which does some good breakfasts.

J-thing, You're not 100% correct here----Food can be dangerous...just ask anyone who has had typhoid......bacteria, e. coli can strike anyone regardless of race, colour, creed so good hygienic practice is essential, all the more so in a buffet scenario

btw one interesting Indian contribution to the English language is "loose motion" which anyone who has been tethered to the porcelain throne for the day can relate to

J-thing, You're not 100% correct here----Food can be dangerous...just ask anyone who has had typhoid......bacteria, e. coli can strike anyone regardless of race, colour, creed so good hygienic practice is essential, all the more so in a buffet scenario

The buffet thing is a red herring.

Some of the Indians there (as almost all the customers are Indian) use their hands to put the food in their mouths, just as they have all their lives. If their hands are clean, this is not a health risk for them. Utensils can get dirty too if you don't wash them. Yes, food can be dangerous, but we have to eat, and the food gets put in us either by utensils or hand.

One poster suggested watching people eat this way is gross and turns their stomach. Hint: they aren't asking you to stare at them eat. While I don't eat Indian food with my hands, I have very much enjoyed eating Ethiopian and other foods this way, with Ethiopian it is so easy because you scoop up the stews with porous bread. Indeed there are many times when Western foods are eaten with our hands, for example, fried chicken, corn on the cob, and many others.

The customers there use BIG METAL SPOONS to plate the food from the buffet. There is no more danger to you there from contamination from customers than the Sizzler. What do you think, that the Indian people scoop up a big portion of a wet curry with their cupped dirty hands from a communal serving pan?

So many of us eat street food here. Have you ever watched how they clean the dishes at those places not to mention how the meat sits out with the flies. To suggest there is a great health risk at an Indian food buffet is really pushing it.

Edited by Jingthing