Chai And The Blues Maniacs

Mahseer

I don't know what time he might be playing or if he's playing for sure on Saturday night. I haven't actually been on a regular night yet, only dropped by during the daytime to say hello. I'd guess if you got there around 11pm you'd be playing it safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I'm an old friend of Chai's and a partner in Chai Blues House.

We got off to a slow start, but Chai will start playing with his new band on Dec 4th every Thursday through Sunday.

Back in town next week and keen to catch up on this band. Was mentioned previously that Chai had a club in Wat Umong so is this up and running and if so what time does the band play.

Thanks

Been there a couple of times just for a beer as the place is really comfy. Good service too. Glad to hear the band is starting up soon. It is behind a bar called "Take A Seat" or something like that so it is a bit hard to find. (You drive through Take A Seat to find parking.)

• 4 weeks later...

Was there Saturday night and enjoyed it. Chai played 2 sets with first just after 9:30 and was seated throughout for some reason which appeared strange as the lad certainly struggles keeping still when playing but for second set he dispensed of the stool and let rip. He plays with a drummer who I won't comment on (we all have bad days eh) and a bass player and the music was mixed with a couple of Hendrix and Stevie RV and some milder stuff I wasn't familiar with but nice balance.

The club is a two story house very open inside and aside from the table of 20 local students who weren't interested in the music it was a good night. Club is easy to find providing you can locate Soi Wat Umong. Heading west on Suthep Road go beyond the Canal road and find soi 4 on the left and the club is around 400mtrs inside on the left. There is a bar in front of Chai's which has 20 or so tables outside (sorry no name) but it is just to the side and has a blazing blue light so you should be able to find it. (If the lights in the soi start to disappear you are 300mts past the club). I was.

Chai is playing Friday / Saturday / Sunday at present but he did mention the plan was to have a band nightly but don't believe that is in place yet. He also mentioned on the 4 Jan there will be a guitart festival but no idea of attendees but maybe one for the diary. Beer prices are very reasonable, small heineken for 59baht.

Certainly recommend a visit.

Was there Saturday night and enjoyed it. Chai played 2 sets with first just after 9:30 and was seated throughout for some reason which appeared strange as the lad certainly struggles keeping still when playing but for second set he dispensed of the stool and let rip. He plays with a drummer who I won't comment on (we all have bad days eh) and a bass player and the music was mixed with a couple of Hendrix and Stevie RV and some milder stuff I wasn't familiar with but nice balance.

The club is a two story house very open inside and aside from the table of 20 local students who weren't interested in the music it was a good night. Club is easy to find providing you can locate Soi Wat Umong. Heading west on Suthep Road go beyond the Canal road and find soi 4 on the left and the club is around 400mtrs inside on the left. There is a bar in front of Chai's which has 20 or so tables outside (sorry no name) but it is just to the side and has a blazing blue light so you should be able to find it. (If the lights in the soi start to disappear you are 300mts past the club). I was.

Chai is playing Friday / Saturday / Sunday at present but he did mention the plan was to have a band nightly but don't believe that is in place yet. He also mentioned on the 4 Jan there will be a guitart festival but no idea of attendees but maybe one for the diary. Beer prices are very reasonable, small heineken for 59baht.

Certainly recommend a visit.

I was there Saturday night as well. You are correct that one should get there early (9:00-9:30) as he starts early. Unfortunately I got there about 9:50 and a group of a dozen disinterested tourists took the 4 good tables and pulled them together. Most other tables are not in a position to even view the musicians. It's a very poor seating arrangement for a rock/blues club, unless they are happy to play for only 10 people every night. I think they really need to move the band to another area in the space.

Clealy Chai was breaking in some new musicians and I expect it will take some months before he is able to put together a band he feels comfortable with.

I was there Saturday night as well. You are correct that one should get there early (9:00-9:30) as he starts early. Unfortunately I got there about 9:50 and a group of a dozen disinterested tourists took the 4 good tables and pulled them together. Most other tables are not in a position to even view the musicians. It's a very poor seating arrangement for a rock/blues club, unless they are happy to play for only 10 people every night. I think they really need to move the band to another area in the space.

Clealy Chai was breaking in some new musicians and I expect it will take some months before he is able to put together a band he feels comfortable with.

I did see a frustrated farang wandering around checking on availability of tables but yes that group were a pain and we ended up propping up the bar but had that bloody pack between us and Chai for the first set.

I'm not sure what options there are for rearranging the place. Maybe BWB who is the partner can jump in and advise but don't believe there is anything obvious.

Cheers

I did see a frustrated farang wandering around checking on availability of tables but yes that group were a pain and we ended up propping up the bar but had that bloody pack between us and Chai for the first set.

I'm not sure what options there are for rearranging the place. Maybe BWB who is the partner can jump in and advise but don't believe there is anything obvious.

Cheers

Yeah, that was me. My girls love to hear K. Took play and I wanted to introduce them to K. Chai. I'll be back. Earlier next time.

Went to Chai's a couple of nights ago. It was not difficult to locate. There is a large yellow lit sign. Chai was very nice and very hospitable. He played one long set and, as always, was excellent!!

Agreed that the seating arrangement is a bit odd for a music club.

Although there were dozens and dozens of students at the club in front of Chai's, there were only a couple of customers in Chai's. I guess the younger people prefer hip-hop or Thai pop music or something. I really hope his club makes it as I really enjoy hearing Chai perform.

if you enjoy the blues, drop by and listen to them play. They need the support.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys!

Sorry I have not been on this site for a while. Points well taken regarding seating. I will speak to Chai.

Chai also finally has a completely re-vamped band that he is happy with. Much better drummer and a sexy tall female bass player. They debut on the 15th.

We also have Bands on Sun - Tuesday; with Chai now playing Thurs - Sat. We have another couple of bands lined up for Wednesday.

We have recently launched a lot more advertising leading up to the Grand Opening.

Free food and Draught Heineken from 5 - 8 p.m. as long as it lasts. We are hoping to have a good turn out.

Don't give up yet.

If you can get to Hi5; My Space or Facebook, I have posted Maps and directions.

chai-blues.hi5.com

myspace.com/chai_blues

facebook.com/pages/CHAI-BLUES-HOUSE-CHIANG-MAI-THAILAND/37493823149?ref=nf

Since I am not always looking at this site, please feel free to write to me at [email protected]; or [email protected]

Hope to see you guys Wednesday!!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Back in town next week and keen to catch up on this band. Was mentioned previously that Chai had a club in Wat Umong so is this up and running and if so what time does the band play.

Thanks

Yea it's up and running. Over-priced beer and food, behind a good cheap Thai restaurant near Wat U-mong. Music suppose to start at 9pm but don't hold your

breath. I am a musician (female/guitar player) My other music mates, both falang and Thai have nothing good to say about it. Always changing people,fighting. Ah those sensitive egos are really too much! Want to Jam?? Guitarman on Loi Kroe or The Garden

off the canal road where all the trippy lights are.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Yea it's up and running. Over-priced beer and food, behind a good cheap Thai restaurant near Wat U-mong. Music suppose to start at 9pm but don't hold your

breath. I am a musician (female/guitar player) My other music mates, both falang and Thai have nothing good to say about it. Always changing people,fighting. Ah those sensitive egos are really too much! Want to Jam?? Guitarman on Loi Kroe or The Garden

off the canal road where all the trippy lights are.

Sorry you feel that way. This is honestly the first negative comment I have seen on four different web sites, so something positive must be happening. Though a couple of musicians did come and go, I think you will find the music and the musicians quite stable and on schedule. I certainly don't know of any fighting. That's an odd comment.

Sorry about the negative comments. I play with Thai musicians that have known Chai from

kid-time. (got a little insite there) You have to admit the beer and food is overpriced. And the night

I went, they decided not to play. Guess it was the wrong night for me to go.

Give the place another chance before you make such a negative judgment rawjade420. If the food is too expensive, eat somewhere else before you go there. But Chai is very cool and very friendly and the music is very good there. Every club has an off night sometime or another; even Guitarman.

Sorry about the negative comments. I play with Thai musicians that have known Chai from

kid-time. (got a little insite there) You have to admit the beer and food is overpriced. And the night

It's cool. Criticism is an opportunity to learn; and we need to hear the bad with the good. I do not have much of a frame of reference on prices since I live in Bangkok and everything in Chiang Mai - including CBH - seems cheap to me :-). I will indeed look into it.

I am also really bummed that nobody played when you went. I have known Chai for 15 years and am attuned to his artistic quirks. But as far as I know he has been playing all the time since the grand opening. Just for my reference - When was it that you went?

You can write to me anytime - [email protected] - with other suggestions. Do give it another go. My wife and I may make the trip up over the last weekend of May. Keep in touch and maybe you could drop by for a couple of drinks then.

It's cool. Criticism is an opportunity to learn; and we need to hear the bad with the good. I do not have much of a frame of reference on prices since I live in Bangkok and everything in Chiang Mai - including CBH - seems cheap to me :-). I will indeed look into it.

I am also really bummed that nobody played when you went. I have known Chai for 15 years and am attuned to his artistic quirks. But as far as I know he has been playing all the time since the grand opening. Just for my reference - When was it that you went?

You can write to me anytime - [email protected] - with other suggestions. Do give it another go. My wife and I may make the trip up over the last weekend of May. Keep in touch and maybe you could drop by for a couple of drinks then.

I will for sure give it another chance. I get too invovled with Thai coments about this man. Yea, I'll check it out. Where else do you like to listen to music?? [email protected]