Postal Services, Receiving Packages In Thailand - Reliable?

Hi,

I want to mail some items to Thailand that have electronic equipment inside (value $1000+).

Is it safe to send this to normal residential areas (around the Bangkapi area)?

I have very limited experience with Thai postal service - anyone ever heard of or experienced letters / packages "disappearing" in Thailand?

Also, any experience with customs when sending stuff into Thailand?

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by somtampala

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to mail some items to Thailand that have electronic equipment inside (value $1000+).

Is it safe to send this to normal residential areas (around the Bangkapi area)?

I have very limited experience with Thai postal service - anyone ever heard of or experienced letters / packages "disappearing" in Thailand?

Also, any experience with customs when sending stuff into Thailand?

Thanks,

Ben

I would suggest to you, not to send anything to Thailand of value through the regular post, if you need to send something, look at courier service, ie Fedex/DHL.....also be careful how much you declare the value to be on the documentation, if you state $1000 you will be hit for import tax on $1000, if you are not insuring the article (this would be the only reason you would put the true value), get a proforma invoice for the article of say $100 - $250, that way you are reducing the import tax you are paying....dont state a value too low, as customs are not daft......obviously if the article goes missing at the "reduced" value you will only be able to claim the insurance on this amount..but you have to decide if its a chance you want to take...

The only problem with EMS post is that Thai Post is pretty lax in who signs for it. When I'm not home, Thai Post leaves packages with the laundry lady down the soi, having her sign for it. Unfortunately she is a kleptomaniac.