Accessing News Groups With Thai Isps

mr buffalo

I use two ISP's - True at my home and CS Lox at the office - both are ADSL and work ok.

However, I cannot download any newsgroup articles with either. I am not seeking to access the ISP's news server since I know they don't have any but I want to access msnews.microsoft.net and other newsgroups hosted on Giganews server for which I pay each month.

Until recently I could get the articles using True but now I get time outs and only a few articles download very slowly.

Are they throttling it or trying to close it off ?

Any ideas ?

Giganews also supports port 80 and 23. You may have better luck with one of those.

I use two ISP's - True at my home and CS Lox at the office - both are ADSL and work ok.

However, I cannot download any newsgroup articles with either. I am not seeking to access the ISP's news server since I know they don't have any but I want to access msnews.microsoft.net and other newsgroups hosted on Giganews server for which I pay each month.

Until recently I could get the articles using True but now I get time outs and only a few articles download very slowly.

Any ideas ?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same exact problem with TRUE. I complained to them back in july, the problem seemed to get better for a while, now it is back. keep sending emails to [email protected] to complain about this.

I had this problem with news20.forteinc.com and news.newshosting.com

other people are having this problem it seems, search this forum for "newsgroups"

:D:o:D:D

Any ideas ?

I use Giganews service through Maxnet and JI-Net in Pattaya............no problem here connecting and downloading.

I search via binsearch and download with newsbin.

Lately I have been using Astraweb. $11 a month for unlimited usage. It works great and uses my full bandwidth, retention is a bit less than giganews though.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

Any ideas ?

I use Giganews service through Maxnet and JI-Net in Pattaya............no problem here connecting and downloading.

I search via binsearch and download with newsbin.

Any ideas ?

It should be a port issue.. I was using newshosting before at port 7000,8000,9000 without any issue (though the speed sometimes drops to about half of max during peak hours).

I recently switched to usenet.net and had a lot of speed issues.. They don't have high ports like newshosting, but I found that switching it to port 23 resolved the speed problem..