Thai Poem

MTLae

Dear All,

Is anyone who can write poem about Father's Day? (In Thai)

Father's day can mean King's BD and our father. I will try to write one poem about father and hope you can try and practice to write Thai poem.

วันพ่อที่ใกล้มาถึงนี้ ลูกที่ดีควรกราบเท้าพ่อหนา

อาจจะหอมแก้มซ้ายขวาไปมา หรืออาจพาพ่อไปเที่ยวเล่นชมเมือง

๕ ธันวา นานทีหนึ่งปีหน เราทุกคนร่วมระลึกถึงคุณพ่อ

ผู้บังเกิดก่อความรักเฝ้าพะนอ เลี้ยงลูกหนอลูกรักของดวงใจ

อาจไม่มีคุณใดมาเทียบเท่า แต่พวกเราขอให้พ่อนี้สุขสันต์

ทุกวันคืนชื่นมื่นนานเท่านาน ร่วมแบ่งปันกลอนรักนี้แด่พ่อเอย

I am waiting to hear from you. It's challenge for anyone that love father.

Kroo Ae

Edited by MTLae

Hello Everyone,

I saw that many people read this topic but wonder why no one reply back. I think may be this topic is too difficult and yes I agree.

What about if you help me to translate the meaning from the poem that I wrote.

Shall we practice reading skill? Hope lots of you can reply and more intersting now :-)

I am waiting to see your translation to English from now. Shall we?

Goodluck,

Kroo Ae

My Thai Language School

I'll try the first sentence:

วันพ่อที่ใกล้มาถึงนี้ ลูกที่ดีควรกราบเท้าพ่อหนา - this coming Father's Day, good children should honour their fathers.

กราบเท้า translates as "to prostrate oneself", I thought the use of "honour" would be more appropriate for the English language.

Unsure of the use of the word หนา, it normally means "thick", but I think it takes on a different context in this poem.

I'll try the next line:

อาจจะหอมแก้มซ้ายขวาไปมาหรืออาจพาพ่อไปเที่ยวเล่นชมเมือง - We should kiss our father's cheeks left and right or take him out for a day in town.

PS tash, as I understand it, หนา acts as an intensifier here...'pay great honour'...can anyone confirm?

Edited by katana

I think this is a very good idea, but it's a little too hard for me. I can understand about 50% of it.

However, I really like the idea!

BFD!

Dear BFD,

Thank you very much and I really hope you can take time and join us to help to translate the poem :-)

Kroo Ae

I'll try the first sentence:

วันพ่อที่ใกล้มาถึงนี้ ลูกที่ดีควรกราบเท้าพ่อหนา - this coming Father's Day, good children should honour their fathers.

กราบเท้า translates as "to prostrate oneself", I thought the use of "honour" would be more appropriate for the English language.

Unsure of the use of the word หนา, it normally means "thick", but I think it takes on a different context in this poem.

You understood correct that หนา doesn't mean 'thick"

I'll try the next line:

อาจจะหอมแก้มซ้ายขวาไปมาหรืออาจพาพ่อไปเที่ยวเล่นชมเมือง - We should kiss our father's cheeks left and right or take him out for a day in town.

PS tash, as I understand it, หนา acts as an intensifier here...'pay great honour'...can anyone confirm?

Very good :-) and the word "หนา" that you mentioned was correct.

I can confirm. What about the other lines?

Kroo Ae

Ok for line 3

December 5th has long been a time of the year where everyone can join together in remembering their father

Great job!!! more line please?

Kroo Ae

Dear All,

Father's day can mean King's BD and our father. I will try to write one poem about father and hope you can try and practice to write Thai poem.

ทุกวันคืนชื่นมื่นนานท่านาน ร่วมแบ่งปันกลอนรักนี้แด่พ่อเอย

Kroo Ae

สวัสดีคูณเอครับ เมือเห็นประพันธ์ของคูณคิดว่าอย่ากเกินไปไม่มีวันจะตอบแตะวันนี้เองมาถึงบทที่๒ซึ่งตัวสะกด และสังเกตบทที่๔ ซึ่งเป็น คำสำผัส อาจจะโชกดี

ถ้าผมมีลูกจะเป็นพ่อ จำเป็นรอหนูมาตามหน้าที

แต่อย่างนี้วันนั้นอีกฟรี ออกไปตีกอล์ฟหวังว่าได้ดี

Dear All,

ทุกวันคืนชื่นมื่นนานท่านาน ร่วมแบ่งปันกลอนรักนี้แด่พ่อเอย

Kroo Ae

สวัสดีคูณเอครับ เมือเห็นประพันธ์ของคูณคิดว่าอย่ากเกินไปไม่มีวันจะตอบแตะวันนี้เองมาถึงบทที่๒ซึ่งตัวสะกด และสังเกตบทที่๔ ซึ่งเป็น คำสำผัส อาจจะโชกดี

ถ้าผมมีลูกจะเป็นพ่อ จำเป็นรอหนูมาตามหน้าที

แต่อย่างนี้วันนั้นอีกฟรี ออกไปตีกอล์ฟหวังว่าได้ดี

น่ารักมาก มีคำสัมผัสที่ถูกต้อง แต่เมื่ออ่านแล้วความหมายยัง งงๆ อยู่เลย อ่านโดยทั่วไปก็เข้าใจแต่ลองฝึกเพิ่ม แก้คำ หรือ เปลี่ยนคำดูนะจ๊ะ

Kroo Ae

น่ารักมาก มีคำสัมผัสที่ถูกต้อง แต่เมื่ออ่านแล้วความหมายยัง งงๆ อยู่เลย อ่านโดยทั่วไปก็เข้าใจแต่ลองฝึกเพิ่ม แก้คำ หรือ เปลี่ยนคำดูนะจ๊ะ

Kroo Ae

ขอบคูณมากครับ จะอ่านคำประพันธ์ของคุณอีกครั้งและจะพยายามเขียนใหม่

Thanks Katana, It's still not 100% clear to me though. Which word/s is หนา intensifying?

Intensifiers I've come across before have always followed an adjective. For example; หลับปุ๋ย - fast asleep, ใหม่เอี่ยม - brand new, ดำปี๋ - pitch black.

Thanks.

Hi,

Maybe intensifier was the wrong word. Domnern Sathienphong's dictionary has:

หนา - Thick, fat; dense; much, many; an emphatic or supplicatory word.

Excellent, thanks Katana.

I have the CD ROM version of the Domnern Sathienpong dictionary, I should have checked it!

Thanks again.

ขอบคูณมากครับ จะอ่านคำประพันธ์ของคุณอีกครั้งและจะพยายามเขียนใหม่

ผมคิดอีกที บทกวียากเกินไปสำหรับเด็กอนุบาลอย่างผม(ร้องไห้) แต่จะเล่าสิ่งที่ผมเขียนให้คุณรู้ ตามนีั

"ผมไม่ใช่ผู้ให้กำเนิดแก่ลูก จึงเรียกผมว่าพ่อไม่ได้ และในวันพ่อที่ใกล้มาถึงนี้ผมจะไม่ต้องรอลูกมาเยียม

ผมเลยเหมือนคนอื่นที่มีลูก ดั้งนั้นผมจะออกไปเล้นกอล์ฟ มีความฝันว่าผมจะตีได้ดี"

โอ! ฝืนไม่ได้

"ผมไม่ใช่ผู้ให้กำเนิดแก่ลูก จึงไม่ถูกคนอืนเรียกผมว่าพ่อ

ในวันพ่อผมก็ไม่ต้องรอ"....

ผมเขาใจว่า "หนา" ในคำประพันธ์ มีความหมายคล้ายกับ "หนัก"

ผมเขาใจว่า "หนา" ในคำประพันธ์ มีความหมายคล้ายกับ "หนัก"

เขียนผิด ควนมี"นัก" รือจริงเป็น "นะ" แปลว่า "ต้องตาม"

Edited by tgeezer

ขอบคุณทุกคนมากคะ เห็นว่าความพยายามและสนใจกันมากกับหัวข้อนี้ จริงๆแล้วการแต่งกลอนในภาษาไทยนั้นหลายคำที่นำมาใช้ ไม่จำเป็นต้องมีความหมายแต่เพื่อการสัมผัสที่ฟังแล้วคล้องจองและสลวยสวยงาม เช่นคำว่า "หนา" จริงๆแล้วก็ไม่ได้มีความหมายตามตัวที่แปลว่า "thick" แต่ใช้คำว่า "หนา" นี้เพื่อความคล้องจองตามกฎของการแต่กลอน อาจเป็นคำอื่นก็ได้แต่ต้องมีเสียงสัมผัสเดียวกัน

If I say another meaning of "หนา" this meaning in this poem that I mean it is like the word "นะ" Like " ไปกราบเท้าพ่อกันนะ" but I cannot use "นะ" because it doesn't match with the word in the poem line.

Thank you everybody but some other lines not finish translatation yet. Anyone can finish it please?

Kroo Ae

To Khun Tgeezer,

First of all, I do not think that you have อนุบาล level if you can read and reply me in Thai. That is beautiful sentences.

I will help you to write this poem for you. I think it's cute meaning by the way :-)

ถึงทุกปีวันพ่อที่มาถึง ไม่คำนึงถึงอะไรไปมากมาย

ยังไม่ได้เป็นคุณพ่อแต่ไม่อาย ลูกผู้ชายไม่จำเป็นไม่ต้องแคร์

จะออกไปเล่นกอล์ฟไปหาลูก ราคาถูกแต่ดีมีความหมาย

ลูกสีขาวกลมกลมไม่มีลวดลาย จะยักย้ายส่ายสะโพกวันพ่อเอย

I hope you will like it ka

Kroo Ae

ขอบคุณทุกคนมากคะ เห็นว่าความพยายามและสนใจกันมากกับหัวข้อนี้ จริงๆแล้วการแต่งกลอนในภาษาไทยนั้นหลายคำที่นำมาใช้ ไม่จำเป็นต้องมีความหมายแต่เพื่อการสัมผัสที่ฟังแล้วคล้องจองและสลวยสวยงาม เช่นคำว่า "หนา" จริงๆแล้วก็ไม่ได้มีความหมายตามตัวที่แปลว่า "thick" แต่ใช้คำว่า "หนา" นี้เพื่อความคล้องจองตามกฎของการแต่กลอน อาจเป็นคำอื่นก็ได้แต่ต้องมีเสียงสัมผัสเดียวกัน

If I say another meaning of "หนา" this meaning in this poem that I mean it is like the word "นะ" Like " ไปกราบเท้าพ่อกันนะ" but I cannot use "นะ" because it doesn't match with the word in the poem line.

Thank you everybody but some other lines not finish translatation yet. Anyone can finish it please?

Kroo Ae

Thank you Khun Kroo Ae, your explanation has made the use of the word หนา clear to me now.

หนา doesn't have any particular meaning, it is used to help the poem flow, and give it more beauty.

word หนา clear to me now.

หนา doesn't have any particular meaning, it is used to help the poem flow, and give it more beauty.

[/quote

With humble apologies to Cru Ay

Every word has meaning, the second definition in my dictionary says that หนา is put at the end to force or encourage. If you look at Cru Ay's preferred word 'นะ' it has the same meaning, which may be a happy coincidence, but I don't think so. It turns the phrase into an entreaty, the phase starts with 'ควร' which agrees with this. I know nothing about etimology but I expect some very famous poet had to use it once instead of 'นะ'and that was enough.

To Khun Tgeezer,

First of all, I do not think that you have อนุบาล level if you can read and reply me in Thai. That is beautiful sentences.

I will help you to write this poem for you. I think it's cute meaning by the way :-)

Kroo Ae

ผมชอบมาก ที่คุณคะนึงและเปรียบลูกกับลูกกอล์ฟกันได้ ยินดีด้วยว่าจะมีเรืองทีเล่าให้เพื่อนฟังในวันจันทร์หน้า แต่ไม่เคยได้ยินว่า ส่ายสะโพก เป็นวิธีการตีลูกกอล์ฟ คุณครูควรเขียนคู่มือ"วิธีการเล่นอกอล์ฟ" ขอบคุณมากครับ

To Khun Tgeezer,

Kroo Ae

ผมชอบมาก ที่คุณคะนึงและเปรียบลูกกับลูกกอล์ฟกันได้ ยินดีด้วยว่าจะมีเรืองทีเล่าให้เพื่อนฟังในวันจันทร์หน้า แต่ไม่เคยได้ยินว่า ส่ายสะโพก เป็นวิธีการตีลูกกอล์ฟ คุณครูควรเขียนคู่มือ"วิธีการเล่นอกอล์ฟ" ขอบคุณมากครับ

มันเป็นการพูดเพื่อให้จินตนาการว่าการเล่นกอล์ฟมันสนุก เหมือนเรากำลังเต้นเล่นระบำ เป็นการเปรียนเทียบทางความรู้สึก ครูแอบเห็บบางคนก่อนตีจะต้องขยับเท้าและนั่นอาจรวมถึงสะโพกด้วยนิดหน่อยนะ :-)

However, thank you everyone again and I am waiting for some of you try to help to finish the translation of my poem for the next lines.

Have a nice weekend,

Kroo Ae

... the second definition in my dictionary says that หนา is put at the end to force or encourage.

Tgeezer, in which dictionary did you find an entry for หนา giving the definition you explain here? With all the dictionaries I have in my possession I cannot find this definition, just interested to know, thanks.

Khun MTLae,

Please correct any errors in my attempt at translation. I tried to retain the poetic flavor of your original. Did I make a lot of mistakes?

When Father’s Day nears each year, we rarely give the day a passing glance.

A boy without children himself is not embarrassed; he is a boy, why should he care?

Will he go with his father to find his lost golf balls? He does not get paid much but this does have meaning for his father.

Such a little white ball without any stripes! He wiggles and waggles his behind on this father’s day.

... the second definition in my dictionary says that หนา is put at the end to force or encourage.

Tgeezer, in which dictionary did you find an entry for หนา giving the definition you explain here? With all the dictionaries I have in my possession I cannot find this definition, just interested to know, thanks.

RID on line.but I have just looked at the hard copy ps2548edition page 1245 in case you don't have a copy. หนา ๒ คำประกอบท้ายคำอื่นที่มีความหมายไปในเขิงบังคับหรืออ้อนวอน เช่น อยู่เถิดหนา

RID on line.but I have just looked at the hard copy ps2548edition page 1245 in case you don't have a copy. หนา ๒ คำประกอบท้ายคำอื่นที่มีความหมายไปในเขิงบังคับหรืออ้อนวอน เช่น อยู่เถิดหนา

Ahh, thanks, I was looking for a Thai-English definition, I didn't look at the RID online. I don't own the hard copy, it's just too big! Why do they have to make it so big? I'm sure if it was smaller they would be able to sell more copies (well, at least one!).

Cheers.

Khun MTLae,

Please correct any errors in my attempt at translation. I tried to retain the poetic flavor of your original. Did I make a lot of mistakes?

When Father's Day nears each year, we rarely give the day a passing glance.

A boy without children himself is not embarrassed; he is a boy, why should he care?

Will he go with his father to find his lost golf balls? He does not get paid much but this does have meaning for his father.

Such a little white ball without any stripes! He wiggles and waggles his behind on this father's day.

Hello David I think teach wanted her original translated, this is an ode she wrote for me. You have done a wonderful job but from the context of me being too young to have kids, maybe Croo Aye thought that. Coming from where I am it is different could we both be right?

Every year when Fathers day comes there isn't a lot for me to think about

I still don't have any kids but it doesn't worryme it is not necessary for a man to care

I will be on the golf course looking for my golf ball which is a cheap thing with lots of meaning

That little round talentless white ball will have me swinging my hips round the golf course on Father's day

Edited by tgeezer