Do I Expose Her Or Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (hiv)

SpudIslander

i think you should contact

the aids services in thailand and your home country and ask them

about yours and her responsibility and legal implications.

they have the expertise that few here could match

good point. tough moral dilemma

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you should contact

the aids services in thailand and your home country and ask them

about yours and her responsibility and legal implications.

they have the expertise that few here could match

good point. tough moral dilemma

I agree as well. I would do what 0Mix1up suggests

This was my mistake and thank God I am not paying for it.

Please be aware that a single HIV test is not assurance you have not been infected. Many labs in Thailand are excellent but many are sloppy. I'd have a second test done at a reputable lab to confirm your negative status. Furthermore, a recent infection may not show positive. It is recommended you repeat the test in about 6 months. Until you have the second negative test, you should act as if you are infected.

As to your question: I don't know the answer. Good luck to you.

I also think it is up to BOTH parties to protect themselves.

A test gives only information for a certain window of time (no infection x time before test) and for a lot of people a negative test leads to elation and taking risks again. Until they test positive.

I hope the girl and you will both be well.

Anyhoo, treatment is now recommended once cd4 falls below 350, if you let it fall to 200

(and which is therefore an unfortunate benchmark in Thailand) it will be more difficult to 'bounce ' back. In the us there is now a lot of discussion about starting treatment at cd4 500.

Interesting ethics question. By coincidence :o it was a topic in a continuing ed packet I recently received.

Use common sense; unless someone's life is endangered, then you have no right to say anything. If you must speak out, then your concerns must be relayed to the office of the Chief Medical Officer in the district in Thailand where you reside and no one else. The CMO will handle the file in accordance with the medical and ethical protocols in place. Outside of advising a designated public health officer of your concerns, if this person suffers personal injury, you will be liable, even if what you say is true.

And now for info from UNAIDS

Advocating against overly-broad application of criminal law to HIV transmission 14 November 2008

In recent years, there has been an apparent increase in the number of people prosecuted for transmitting HIV, particularly in Europe and North America, with cases now numbering in the hundreds in the English-speaking world alone. There is also an increase in laws that criminalize HIV transmission and exposure to the virus, as reported in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean.

Intentional transmission of HIV

The policy brief makes specific recommendations for governments, civil society and international partners, urging that criminalization be limited to cases of intentional transmission of HIV. While UNAIDS and UNDP acknowledge that use of the criminal law may be justified in these limited circumstances – i.e. where a person knows his or her HIV positive status, acts with the intention to transmit HIV, and does in fact transmit it – they are concerned that going beyond such cases risks applying criminal sanctions to people who are not actually blameworthy, further stigmatizes people living with HIV, and creates disincentives for mutual responsibility for sexual health and to finding out one's HIV.

No evidence that the use of criminal law reduces transmission of HIV

The main reasons advanced for applying criminal law are either punishment for someone who has caused harm or to deter risky behaviours that lead to HIV transmission.

However, there is no evidence that the use of criminal law is an effective measure for reducing transmission of HIV, and experts are concerned that criminalization is likely to have a negative impact on the overall response to HIV, including HIV prevention.

The article and references are more detailed, but I think this is the gist of it. For personal safety and to avoid civil penalties refer it to the CMO if you feel obliged to speak out.

Yes, common sense should certainly dictate your course of action (a policy brief from the UN does not necessarily include the application of 'common sense'). Common sense should dictate that you apply your concern to preventing the greatest danger here: not to you, not to her, but to the continuum of clients that WILL become affected if you do absolutely nothing.

Common sense should also dictate that you emphasize with those who may be affected if you choose to remain silent with your knowledge of this girl's deadly approach to 'making a living'... take a moment to put yourself in the shoes those on her 'client database', together with their families and those that they would otherwise go on to infect.

Their are laws against knowingly having unprotected sex - even in Thailand. Contrary to some of the earlier posts, you are not subject to penalty if you 'blow the whistle' on a girl/woman who was perfectly happy to condemn you to the disease without second thought. In ANY case - APPLY COMMON SENSE and DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT. You should - at the very least - inform those on her client database of what you have learned by chance. Inform them that they are at risk and should have themselves (and anyone they've in turn been intimate with) checked for the virus before they infect others. Then, contact the CMO and any other local agencies that may be in a position to help this girl adjust her methods. This is much more that a 'sleeping dog' at play here...

I met a thai girl (a working girl) in 2007, fell in love, married her (Buddist wedding not registered) and had unprotected sex for a year and a half. On September 2, 2008 she had a headache and sore throat so we went to the hospital (Bangkok) to check it out. The doctor reviewed her file and noted that the last visit (2 years ago) she tested hiv positive and asked if she had told me (in thai). She told her that no but perhaps I should tell him now. I was shocked and immediately had a hiv test but negative. I was still prepared to accept this as a mixed relationship with some changes to our sex life.

However since that time, we have broken up and she is going back to work. This poses a health risk and I am aware of it. She is also planning a trip to Europe because the money is better over there. Should I just let it go as not my problem or should I expose her. I am weighing the health risk of others vs their family income (she is the breadwinner of the family mother, father, brother (who is jail but getting out in the new year) 12 year old daughter. any comments?

I am new at posting, hopefully this works

Yes, common sense should certainly dictate your course of action (a policy brief from the UN does not necessarily include the application of 'common sense'). Common sense should dictate that you apply your concern to preventing the greatest danger here: not to you, not to her, but to the continuum of clients that WILL become affected if you do absolutely nothing.

Common sense should also dictate that you emphasize with those who may be affected if you choose to remain silent with your knowledge of this girl's deadly approach to 'making a living'... take a moment to put yourself in the shoes those on her 'client database', together with their families and those that they would otherwise go on to infect.

Their are laws against knowingly having unprotected sex - even in Thailand. Contrary to some of the earlier posts, you are not subject to penalty if you 'blow the whistle' on a girl/woman who was perfectly happy to condemn you to the disease without second thought. In ANY case - APPLY COMMON SENSE and DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT. You should - at the very least - inform those on her client database of what you have learned by chance. Inform them that they are at risk and should have themselves (and anyone they've in turn been intimate with) checked for the virus before they infect others. Then, contact the CMO and any other local agencies that may be in a position to help this girl adjust her methods. This is much more that a 'sleeping dog' at play here...

Common sense would be to assume all random casual sex partners were HIV+ and act accordingly. Common sense would include all new sex partners that were not monogamous. Common sense would continue to treat every sex partner as HIV + until you had been with them monogamously for an appreciable amount of time and had tested hiv- and were certain that your partner was truly monogamous. Common sense would suggest that going to prostitutes and having unprotected sex was dangerous.

BTW --- you are wrong on the lagal aspects you are stating as facts, BigBadS

Common sense would be to assume all random casual sex partners were HIV+ and act accordingly. Common sense would include all new sex partners that were not monogamous. Common sense would continue to treat every sex partner as HIV + until you had been with them monogamously for an appreciable amount of time and had tested hiv- and were certain that your partner was truly monogamous. Common sense would suggest that going to prostitutes and having unprotected sex was dangerous.

BTW --- you are wrong on the lagal aspects you are stating as facts, BigBadS

As it's the only legal point mentioned, I assume you're referring to the possibility of prosecution for reporting her behavior. Do you perhaps know of a single case of anyone in Thailand being criminally prosecuted for reporting a HIV-infected working woman for KNOWINGLY having sex while infected? r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s

***flaming removed***

The U.S., UK, Australian and Chinese Governments have watch lists and notification memos that you can notify if you know someone trying to apply for a visa to those countries.

If the correct name is listed and that person uses that name, the will go through additional screening.

As a single Thai women she will have a difficult time entering these countries without a visa sponsor.

If she was ever known to "Work Bar" she would be prohibited from entering these countries.

If you know for a fact she is planning to enter a country to ply her skills in the "Sex Trade" knowingly being HIV Positive then you basically have a moral right to protect your countrymen as any soldier or law enforcement officer or citizen would.

Most governments now consider people that knowingly have HIV to have unprotected sex a threats to national security, and have such file attempted murder charges and in the U.S. First degree Murder charges on not only foreigners, but their own citizens.

If you want to 'wuss' out and hope the next guy will fix the problem you didn't, that is up to your moral judgment.

But somebody's brother, son, father and yeah cheating husband may die needlessly because you failed to do anything about a problem YOU KNOWINGLY were aware of... morally... you have conspired to committed her crime by aiding and abetting her.

I have lived in Thailand for over 11 years and for 10 1/2 of those years refuse to knowingly engage in any sort of relationship with a bargirl, freelancer, etc.

Especially when you can have good relationships and even fall in love with decent, honest, hardworking girls which make up 90% of the women in Thailand that do not work in the farang and sex trade. For the first 6 months I was like a guy in a Cheesecake Factory that just bought the factory. I had "cheesecake" until it came out of my ears!!! :o ... or was that yeast!? :D But after the abuse from western women and the allure of the "low hanging fruit" in the beauty and seduction power and QUITE FRANKLY 'BUYER'S MARKET PRICES' I couldn't help myself.

Until I realized it all became quite boring until I was surrounded by people I liked for who they were and liked me for who I am.

Finally, let the big head do the thinking for the little head for a change. Buy a few OraSure oral HIV tests which are like pregnancy tests for HIV before you jump in. (First sign... she is probably a Pro if you CAN JUMP IN) :D

You were meant to use your Big Head as your Moral Compass, not your Little Head as the 'Divining Rod'.

Sawadee :D

report her to WHO??? and HOW?

her pimp? and ask for a disease free model

the police? who are taking a cut of her business

sex tourists? walk around with placard?

do you THINK she is the only one who is sick?

taking one broken bottle off a polluted beach won't make a difference!

she WONT be able to get a visa to any developed country, unless she owns property you never mentioned AND has letters of full time permanent employment

BigBad --- I won't respond to the flame but your 'facts' about the law here are incorrect. Your morale outrage just isn't interesting in this case.

I am not going to make any assumptions about your from your post other than that you are not familiar with the law in Thailand :o

I met a thai girl (a working girl) in 2007, fell in love, married her (Buddist wedding not registered) and had unprotected sex for a year and a half. On September 2, 2008 she had a headache and sore throat so we went to the hospital (Bangkok) to check it out. The doctor reviewed her file and noted that the last visit (2 years ago) she tested hiv positive and asked if she had told me (in thai). She told her that no but perhaps I should tell him now. I was shocked and immediately had a hiv test but negative. I was still prepared to accept this as a mixed relationship with some changes to our sex life.

However since that time, we have broken up and she is going back to work. This poses a health risk and I am aware of it. She is also planning a trip to Europe because the money is better over there. Should I just let it go as not my problem or should I expose her. I am weighing the health risk of others vs their family income (she is the breadwinner of the family mother, father, brother (who is jail but getting out in the new year) 12 year old daughter. any comments?

I am new at posting, hopefully this works

Most people will tell you that you've not signed on the dotted line, but thenagain, you can always do the Buddhist thing,

the ties to her is what you have to learn to live with .. don't cut ties and keep on looking after her ..

maybe she'll find you a minor wife ?!

Is it karma that she wants to work in Europe having learned some language skill from you ?

Morals Once again hard to pass judgement as MORALS are often looked at in a different light by different people!!
moral dilemma, medical privacy against possible criminal harm...

i see no moral dilemma here. we have an hiv+ woman who is considering prostitution either here or abroad and given her history of having unprotected sex and non disclosure of her hiv+ status to her partners i find it appalling that people can just say "its not my business". would you do the same if you knew someone was armed with a gun and intended going out on a shooting spree to the local mall or school.

even by the exceedingly low moral standards that seem to prevail today , there is just no case to answer for standing by and letting this happen. anything that can be done to prevent the transmission of this awful virus should be done.

at the very least , this woman needs a good talking to , ......... sorry , that should read "a programme of sensitive counselling" , as to the consequences of her intended actions.

but if everyone gives up totally and just takes care of their own butts, we and our children will live in hel_l.

exactly.

Well said. She should be exposed!

I would do so on moral grounds, and because if the roles were reversed, you'd want them to inform you.

This isn't really a good moral reason. Im sure you can think of situations in which you would want someone else to inform you of something if roles were reversed, but to do so would not be an appropriate or moral thing to do nonetheless.

Being HIV positive is not in itself immoral by most standards. Being a thief, for example, is. Telling other people that someone is a thief, is more justifiable. But can you see the difference?

Nor indeed is being HIV + and not telling your husband. No scientist would argue this makes her likely to never tell other people either. There's just no good argument for outing her on moral grounds. which is a shame, because I want to know who it is, just in case. :o

Are you serious???

Yes, but putting others at risk of a potentially fatal STD is immoral. Can you see the difference? Your logic is very skewed. There are many good arguements for outing her. Such as saving many from infection and all the others they might infect. HIV branches out like a spider web....like exponential growth...the number of infected people grows over time. And it all starts with just one infected person passing the infection to another.... and so on into the future. Get a clue dude.

I met a thai girl (a working girl) in 2007, fell in love, married her (Buddist wedding not registered) and had unprotected sex for a year and a half. On September 2, 2008 she had a headache and sore throat so we went to the hospital (Bangkok) to check it out. The doctor reviewed her file and noted that the last visit (2 years ago) she tested hiv positive and asked if she had told me (in thai). She told her that no but perhaps I should tell him now. I was shocked and immediately had a hiv test but negative.

I'm astonished by your attitude. But I can't choose precisely between :

-ingenuity

-stupidity

-or huge sense of compassion and forgiveness, making you almost a Saint

This woman played with your life for a year and half. Nothing more nothing less.

It's more than betrayal, more than a dirty and stupid lie.... it's.... murder attempt.

Nothing can justify her acts.

And all you can do now is to think about a moral dilemna about her going to Europe, going back to work etc, whatever.

That's impressive. You have pardoned.

I think many people would have reacted differently.

(as for the question you ask, I don't know. I still think that this woman should be sent to jail. She's a walking death threat to people and should be dealt with accordingly)

And it all starts with just one infected person passing the infection to another.... and so on into the future

And it all stops by protecting the person you can protect most : yourself, by not engaging in unprtotected sex

with prostitutes e.g.

And it all starts with just one infected person passing the infection to another.... and so on into the future

And it all stops by protecting the person you can protect most : yourself, by not engaging in unprtotected sex

with prostitutes e.g.

That has been several people's points

Interesting ethics question. By coincidence :o it was a topic in a continuing ed packet I recently received.

Use common sense; unless someone's life is endangered, then you have no right to say anything. If you must speak out, then your concerns must be relayed to the office of the Chief Medical Officer in the district in Thailand where you reside and no one else. The CMO will handle the file in accordance with the medical and ethical protocols in place. Outside of advising a designated public health officer of your concerns, if this person suffers personal injury, you will be liable, even if what you say is true.

And now for info from UNAIDS

Advocating against overly-broad application of criminal law to HIV transmission 14 November 2008

In recent years, there has been an apparent increase in the number of people prosecuted for transmitting HIV, particularly in Europe and North America, with cases now numbering in the hundreds in the English-speaking world alone. There is also an increase in laws that criminalize HIV transmission and exposure to the virus, as reported in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean.

Intentional transmission of HIV

The policy brief makes specific recommendations for governments, civil society and international partners, urging that criminalization be limited to cases of intentional transmission of HIV. While UNAIDS and UNDP acknowledge that use of the criminal law may be justified in these limited circumstances – i.e. where a person knows his or her HIV positive status, acts with the intention to transmit HIV, and does in fact transmit it – they are concerned that going beyond such cases risks applying criminal sanctions to people who are not actually blameworthy, further stigmatizes people living with HIV, and creates disincentives for mutual responsibility for sexual health and to finding out one's HIV.

No evidence that the use of criminal law reduces transmission of HIV

The main reasons advanced for applying criminal law are either punishment for someone who has caused harm or to deter risky behaviours that lead to HIV transmission.

However, there is no evidence that the use of criminal law is an effective measure for reducing transmission of HIV, and experts are concerned that criminalization is likely to have a negative impact on the overall response to HIV, including HIV prevention.

The article and references are more detailed, but I think this is the gist of it. For personal safety and to avoid civil penalties refer it to the CMO if you feel obliged to speak out.

A lot was said on this issue. Many advices given. Most people are softly wrapped in their 'moral' cocoons. Consider her income, consider her family, consider that it is not her fault (someone gave her this unwanted gift), remember you are in asia (so you are supposed to have left your conscience back home).

Bugger this. And bugger UNAIDS. Inform the Interpol. Give them her name, history, condition, profession and intention to go West.

THEN, if they do not do anything to stop her from coming, you can rest. Otherwise, if she infects anybody, or many people, the onus is on you... Morally speaking. And if this is not enough, think, the medical check-ups are not 100% proof of some malady hitting you in a deferred mode. Not that I wish it to happen, don't get this the wrong way... Oh, and give them her client database as well.

My friend, think of this as a TIME BOMB sent in your country. It can hurt maybe your loved ones. :o

A lot was said on this issue. Many advices given. Most people are softly wrapped in their 'moral' cocoons. Consider her income, consider her family, consider that it is not her fault (someone gave her this unwanted gift), remember you are in asia (so you are supposed to have left your conscience back home).

Bugger this. And bugger UNAIDS. Inform the Interpol. Give them her name, history, condition, profession and intention to go West.

THEN, if they do not do anything to stop her from coming, you can rest. Otherwise, if she infects anybody, or many people, the onus is on you... Morally speaking. And if this is not enough, think, the medical check-ups are not 100% proof of some malady hitting you in a deferred mode. Not that I wish it to happen, don't get this the wrong way... Oh, and give them her client database as well.

My friend, think of this as a TIME BOMB sent in your country. It can hurt maybe your loved ones. :o

I think an earlier posting by Sheryl hit at the complexity of the situation.

Certainly, you have to step out the narrow western male thought bubble if you are going to honestly comment on this person's problem and how it came about and what her alternatives are.

It's a mess isn't it? But then again me and everyone in the west have such perfect lives don't we?

A major issue is preventing the spread of pain and suffering to others, my argument is that by helping the victim there may be the chance that everybody experiences a happier death.

Certainly, it would be better than more infections, a sick AIDS victim in self destruct mode, and a husband in mental angst.

..."You look over me, I look over you... even if we don't know each other... then maybe the world could become a bit easier to bare and our kids one day might enjoy the benefits"...

I would love asking all the ones in the soft spot here if they would be ok when a girl (bomb) like this infect them or they beloved ones... Would they still consider to look away then?

Do what you have to do... you know well what is right :o

I think an earlier posting by Sheryl hit at the complexity of the situation.

Certainly, you have to step out the narrow western male thought bubble if you are going to honestly comment on this person's problem and how it came about and what her alternatives are.

It's a mess isn't it? But then again me and everyone in the west have such perfect lives don't we?

A major issue is preventing the spread of pain and suffering to others, my argument is that by helping the victim there may be the chance that everybody experiences a happier death.

Certainly, it would be better than more infections, a sick AIDS victim in self destruct mode, and a husband in mental angst.

:D Sorry i forgot to put in the ironic smiley after 'happier death'- the point is illness is illness, virus' are virus' etc, no moral outrage can defend against the pull of disease.

I don't know what world you are living in that decides that it is a moral imperative for other people to do anything than remind folks that ------

HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX IS UNSAFE, HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX WITH SOMEONE THAT IS PROFESSIONALLY PROMISCUOUS IS SUICIDAL

There are people with HIV all over and the only way to stop it is to educate people to be responsible!

I don't know what world you are living in that decides that it is a moral imperative for other people to do anything than remind folks that ------

HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX IS UNSAFE, HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX WITH SOMEONE THAT IS PROFESSIONALLY PROMISCUOUS IS SUICIDAL

There are people with HIV all over and the only way to stop it is to educate people to be responsible!

Or find a cure !!!! The science of the disease is inexact hence the difficulty.

Or find a cure !!!! The science of the disease is inexact hence the difficulty.

Quite right! A sexual adventure, must be pursued with a condom! if you dont want to use one go get tested, wait 3months get tested again, then fuc_k, then one wonders if either partner actually held out for 3 months etc etc.............wear a condom.............gay websites for sex hook ups here (and every where else) are full of guys saying they will consider unsafe sex,and many who will not have anything but , (this guy will wave the promise of fun nights out 'cool'drugs,you get the idea and on it goes. )if someone says i am negative , its not a mater of saying dont believe them, its simply that you do noy know! Having said all this I wish there was a way you could help and council her,im not sure your consience will be cleared by reporting her, and if she needs money, there will always be somebody who ignores the risks because they think they are imune as the active partner. i could go on and on................i attended funerals monthly for about 3 years of friends passing from hiv related illeness in london..........at least there the support structure is quite amazing all things considered. here? that appalling aids temple? 30baht health care? and back on the street............you must follow your heart, not advice but must live with your decision.

..."You look over me, I look over you... even if we don't know each other... then maybe the world could become a bit easier to bare and our kids one day might enjoy the benefits"...

I would love asking all the ones in the soft spot here if they would be ok when a girl (bomb) like this infect them or they beloved ones... Would they still consider to look away then?

Do what you have to do... you know well what is right :o

THIS TOO IS A VERY GOOD POINT! To argue against it is a bit like saying grass is not green, it comes back to 'buyer beware'. Or in other words- WEAR A CONDOM.

But bombs nearly always detonate.

If I was you I will totally tell about this in her work, police, or somewhere they will stop her doing this. In any case she is a potential serial killer, even though she is not killing with a knife or gun, but this time with sickness. You have idea how many people she has kill until now? How many families are suffering because some woman is such a bad person not to care giving HIV to other guys? Is their decition to go and pay for sex, is not a good thig to do but also not something that should lead you to death. Don't you think? And you should keep testing your self more times, you know the virus may not grow in a long period of time. Good luck with that, and do the right thing, safe many lifes, is in your hands to be a "hero" :o

Chok dee kha! :D

BigBad --- I won't respond to the flame but your 'facts' about the law here are incorrect. Your morale outrage just isn't interesting in this case.

I am not going to make any assumptions about your from your post other than that you are not familiar with the law in Thailand :o

In other words, you are NOT able to cite any example for us. Rather than spouting vague claims about me not being familiar with the 'law in Thailand' for assuring this individual that he would NOT be subject to prosecution (for 'outing' an hiv-infected hooker who KNOWINGLY continues to have unprotected sex with an endless string of clients), you'll need to back up your assertions. Unless and until you are able to do so (drawing upon your extensive familiarity of Thai law), it may be best to stifle it.

Your advocacy of the rights of the hiv-infected-promiscuous to knowingly spread the 'joy' of their disease is touching but reckless. 'Morale outrage' may be of little interest to you, but I find it far more interesting (and fitting 'in this case') than your sympathy for the offender. Ending her 'spread the joy' campaign (and others like her) rather than advocating her right to do so interests me...

Yes, it's hard for those of us with the simplest of minds to think of anything but the simplest of solutions (eg. yours). It would be a wonderful world (wouldn't it?) if all we had to do upon learning that an hiv-infected individual is knowingly having sex with 'others' (your neighbors, friends, family?) and all we had to do to clear our conscious of the matter is issue the statement, "UNPROTECTED SEX IS UNSAFE", then go on about our business without second thought.

Those of us with the capacity to make that mental jump to the point where 'others' may start to include 'friends' and even 'family' may begin to catch an inkling of the concept of 'SHARED responsibility'. The concept of doing everything we can to prevent 'others' - and thus ourselves - from becoming victim to impending doom. This guy, you, and everyone else should act as if her 'client database' included your own friends and family and do EVERYTHING possible end her 'spread the joy' campaign...

My own family knows about HIV and I do what I can at every opportunity to inform others. I personally was part of both the cohort studies and the VaxGen study years ago. (One study followed sexually active gay men and the other was a test of a possible vaccine)

The fact remains that the OP has no right and extreme liability invlved should he go through her emails and send out warnings.

When will people that claim they do not have 'the simplest of minds' realize that protecting yourself and educating others how to do the same is the answer until there is a vaccine? Probably never ...... sigh ....