Thinking Of Switching To Ji-net Internet Service

Pib

Seriously considering changing from the TOT CyberGold 2048/512kb/sec package to one of the JI-NET equivalent packages here in Bangkok. Very interested in how satisfied current JI-NET customers are, especially regarding JI-NET's international bandwidth/speed. I would hate to change from TOT (whose international bandwidth/speed varies from bad-to-good from day-to-day, week-to-week) to another ISP service provider like JI-NET just to end up with no better international bandwidth/speed. My local physical line connection is good. Asking my neighbors about their ISP recommendations has provided no useful info. I'm asking about JI-NET since my research and available alternate ISP options pretty much comes down to JI-NET. So, "for you JI-NET users," any recommendations on JI-NET's international bandwidth/speed/service/etc? Big thanks.

I am very happy with my Ji-net. I am on a true line and can only get 1 MB from ji-net...I always get 850 down on speed test. I want more speed so I am thinking of changing to KSC or CAT Hinet. If I could get 2 MB on Ji-net I wold NOT change it is always very fast, I get full speed even on international. if you have a TOT line you can get a faster speed...I had that goldCyber in Pattaya it was useless only could get 100 down if I was lucky so if you change you willl be very happy. I moved from true to ji-net about 1 year ago, at that time my true SME was so bad my Vonage line would not even work. True would go through these stages of being good for 6 months and very very bad for 6 months not sure how true is now, but I wold never go back to True or TOT after useing Ji-net

Sounds like a very good recommendation for JI-NET. Since I have a TOT line and per telecon with JI-NET, they can provde me their BizConnect package up to 2048/512kbps at a cost of 1890 Baht/month I'm not especially thrilled in paying that much for 2MB capability since I was use to a 6MB capability at 1050 Baht/month in Hawaii. The BixConnect also has two lower speeds/costs per month. This BixConnect package also provides a static IP which may be helpful in the future for me. JI-NET says their user ratio is 10 to 1 for this package. That's the only JI-NET package available to my paricular location/TOT number. Now, If I had a TOT (ADC) number I would have two JI-NET packages to choose from at a lower cost, but with somewhat different capability from the BizConnect package. I think the 50 to 1 user ratio that TOT has is the international speed killer.

Last night my TOT Cybergold was clicking along in the 400 kbps area for international...this aftenoon it's running around the 200-300kbps range. About the only consistency I've been getting is low international speed/bandwidth except for a few occasions when it has run in the 1500-2000 kbps range. So far, my Vonage line has worked fine day or night on the TOT Cybergold, even when the Cybergold is only pulling around 100kbps. I talk to folks on the east coast of the U.S. (exactly half way around the world/12 hours time difference) a couple times a week the Vonage connection has always been good to excellent.

Thanks for your feedback...I'm a'hoping to get more feedback on JI-NET (good or bad) to help me determine whether it's really worth switching, but my gut is sending me a stronger signal I probably should change to JI-NET. Thanks again.

I used them for an 20 station office and also at home a few years ago. I was happy with the service, both Internet and helpdesk.

Peter

Thanks for the feedback...definitely a good recommendation. I'm in the initial stages of switching and JI-NET's assistance in making the switch has been impressive "so far" in their telecons/emails to me on how to handle the switch to minimize switchover costs and time to switch. Thanks again.

I am based in Mae Rim, Chiang Mai (10-12 km north of the city in a gated golf course community). We have been using JI-Net over TTT since 2005, but have an older business package which has grown too pricey in these days. Consequently I am looking for a new package, hopefully faster than the 512/256 speeds we have now...and definitely well under the THB 6,000 pricetag my company pays now. For that price we are on a 5:1 subscriber line and there are currently no other subscribers on our circuit. I might have an outtage once a month that lasts for an hour or two; often I have discovered that a cold reset of all devices gets service back up...and that the ISP was not at fault.

I connect my incoming telephone cable (downstream of an ADSL splitter) to my XyZEL ADSL router. I route the CAT-5 cable from the ADSL router to a nearby Ethernet switch containing 4 ports, then redirect the signal from that switch to an Apple Airport Express set up as a wireless base station (which networks with 4 other AX routers designated as range extenders--we stream music throughout the house in this manner and can roam with our laptops nearly everywhere--even outside on our sundeck). Another CAT-5 output serves my daughter's remote bedroom via her own wired capability, as the wireless signal is not strong enough for her needs. A final port is used to connect a backup CAT-5 line to my office PC, which is normally served by the Apple-enabled 802.11n (b/g capable) network. This provides us with a dual WiFi & wired system and our guests can make use of the WiFi network or simply plug into the daughter's CAT-5 cable upstairs if their PC is not equipped with a WiFi radio.

I also like JI-Net's overall consistency and reliability; their help desk is good, but you can spend considerable time on hold waiting for an English-speaking tech. Anybody have any suggestions for me on a better ISP package? Please remember I live outside of CM and only have TTT service...and from what I have heard, I don't need to even think about using TOT. I have considered CAT Hinet but don't think they can deliver a cable to me out here...and if they could it may be cost-prohibitive. Thanks!

I used them for an 20 station office and also at home a few years ago. I was happy with the service, both Internet and helpdesk.

Peter

Thanks for the feedback...definitely a good recommendation. I'm in the initial stages of switching and JI-NET's assistance in making the switch has been impressive "so far" in their telecons/emails to me on how to handle the switch to minimize switchover costs and time to switch. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I hope they work out for you. If I ever manage to get a land line in my house they'd be the first one's I'd try.

Peter

I am based in Mae Rim, Chiang Mai (10-12 km north of the city in a gated golf course community). We have been using JI-Net over TTT since 2005, but have an older business package which has grown too pricey in these days. Consequently I am looking for a new package, hopefully faster than the 512/256 speeds we have now...and definitely well under the THB 6,000 pricetag my company pays now. For that price we are on a 5:1 subscriber line and there are currently no other subscribers on our circuit. I might have an outtage once a month that lasts for an hour or two; often I have discovered that a cold reset of all devices gets service back up...and that the ISP was not at fault.

I connect my incoming telephone cable (downstream of an ADSL splitter) to my XyZEL ADSL router. I route the CAT-5 cable from the ADSL router to a nearby Ethernet switch containing 4 ports, then redirect the signal from that switch to an Apple Airport Express set up as a wireless base station (which networks with 4 other AX routers designated as range extenders--we stream music throughout the house in this manner and can roam with our laptops nearly everywhere--even outside on our sundeck). Another CAT-5 output serves my daughter's remote bedroom via her own wired capability, as the wireless signal is not strong enough for her needs. A final port is used to connect a backup CAT-5 line to my office PC, which is normally served by the Apple-enabled 802.11n (b/g capable) network. This provides us with a dual WiFi & wired system and our guests can make use of the WiFi network or simply plug into the daughter's CAT-5 cable upstairs if their PC is not equipped with a WiFi radio.

I also like JI-Net's overall consistency and reliability; their help desk is good, but you can spend considerable time on hold waiting for an English-speaking tech. Anybody have any suggestions for me on a better ISP package? Please remember I live outside of CM and only have TTT service...and from what I have heard, I don't need to even think about using TOT. I have considered CAT Hinet but don't think they can deliver a cable to me out here...and if they could it may be cost-prohibitive. Thanks!

Big Thanks and sounds like you have a real command center setup in your house. :D

Today I got a call from JI-NET providing me a User ID and password to run a 3 day free test with JI-NET. Just replaced the TOT User ID/Password with the JI-NET User ID/Password (in the TOT issued DSL modem) and I was on JI-NET. I been testing JI-NET speed for the last few hours using both internet speed programs like Speedtest.net and just "internet surfing" to the different web sites I frequent.

Today, TOT CyberGold is back to providing a fast connection (i.e., fast for Thailand) so I've been switching back and forth from TOT and JI-NET in doing my tests. Trying to do an apples-to-apples comparison. The internet speed programs definitely show JI-NET has a significantly lower "ping" time to web sites, but the download speeds have been high variable, "for both TOT and JI-NET." I think the speed programs/test sites themselves are causing a lot of this problem...using these speed programs should only be one of several tests a person uses.

However, but, my general internet surfing is definitely more responsive on JI-NET and my Vonage number/line also works fine on JI-NET (my Vonage line also worked fine on TOT). Accessing my Gmail email accounts via pop3 also works fine on JI-NET (just as with TOT).

The response to "https" (secure sites like to my banking sites) is definitely more responsive on JI-NET.

And so far, the calls from JI-NET in response to me initially contacting them have been very good...have talked to two different reps and their English has been good (if my Thai was one-tenth as good as their English I would be happy guy! :o

Summary: have been testing JI-NET 2MB package for a few hours now...so far, the the international access/speed has been good; definitely better than TOT. I'm going to do as much testing/surfing as possible over the next 3 days to determine whether I want to sign-up with JI-NET. But if the next 70 hours go as good as the first 2 hours of my 3 day (72 hour) free test period and barring some unknown negative factor coming to light, I will be switching to JI-NET 2MB/512KB BizConnect package which provides a statis IP address, 3 email addresses, 100MB online storage and costs 1890 baht per month (you can also get their 1MB, 512KB, or 256KB package at a lower monthly cost...ranges from 890 to 1890 baht) . The BizConnect package is my only choice on my TOT line and I'll go with the 2MB download/512Kb upload package since I have a good physical line able to get a solid 2MB download speed.

Here is JI-NET's web site for others listening in and might want to check out JI-NET:

http://www.ji-net.com/home/index.php. When switching to the English page selection most of the signup forms are in English which give a pretty good overview of the packages...sometimes better than the web page itself.