Why Do Some Ex Pats Defend Thailand At All Costs

bangkokrick

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we defend Thailand, we live here dont we. What should I done if I dont agree with something, start my own war?

I am fully aware that I am a guest in this country and not or could not ever be considered as Thai. That should be understood before anyone considers living here.

This whole thread is a nonsense.

NO, Actualy it is true, so many farangs, defend thailand even to he detriment of their own home country...... very strange ..

Of course we defend Thailand, we live here dont we. What should I done if I dont agree with something, start my own war?

I am fully aware that I am a guest in this country and not or could not ever be considered as Thai. That should be understood before anyone considers living here.

This whole thread is a nonsense.

NO, Actualy it is true, so many farangs, defend thailand even to he detriment of their own home country...... very strange ..

I spent 35 years in UK, and have spent 18 years outside UK. I prefer the 18 years outside.

If you find that strange, then that's up to you, but personaly, unlike many Farangs here on this forum, I find my life in Thailand to be very agreeable thankyou very much.

When I say things like this so many posters here seem angry and tell me I'm wrong, I'm wearing rose tinted glasses etc etc ad nauseum.....

I should be as unhappy as they are maybe ? :o

I have a lovely house in a lovely area surrounded by nice people, every now and then I have a few beers with other long term Farangs near my house, suits me just fine as I quite like to keep myself to myself. And guess what, they're happy too !

Now, ain't that fckuing amazing !

Edited by Maigo6

Welcome back Maigo, where you been these past weeks? - There's been so much Thailand bashing and ranting over Thailand's current troubles for you to get stuck into. Your absence from discussions with such ample opportunity to come to the defence of Thailand was most extraordinary and, I might add, totally uncharacteristic.

I was beginning to think you must be stuck at the airport, held hostage by the yellow mob.

Welcome back Maigo, where you been these past weeks? - There's been so much Thailand bashing and ranting over Thailand's current troubles for you to get stuck into. Your absence from discussions with such ample opportunity to come to the defence of Thailand was most extraordinary and, I might add, totally uncharacteristic.

I was beginning to think you must be stuck at the airport, held hostage by the yellow mob.

LOL GuestHouse, nice one mate.... :D

Actually I'm in Pattaya at the moment while the new building work is being done on my ( her ) house.

As the missus ain't with me, I don't find much time to post, but will resume normal service at the end of next week when I go back to Loei. :o

Thankyou for thinking about me, I love you too. :D

What i found fascinating during the last days of the protests of the PAD was the tremendous amount of new posters showed up on the board. They would jump into heated discussion, with strong points of view, 90% would be using the same "talking Points" of Somchai was democratically elected, Thaskin was elected by the vast majority of the people,...etc, this usually started from post 1 and on.

It was almost like we were invaded by a psyops from some political group?

Bottom line is I think a lot of the bloviating that was taking place was orchestrated by outside forces.

Yes i noticed this too.

What was interesting was not only the flood of new posters who seemed to share the same view, but also some of the old faces on the board who perhaps previously hadn't been that vocal about their political persuasion, suddenly laying their cards on the table... and what an ugly hand they revealed!

What i found fascinating during the last days of the protests of the PAD was the tremendous amount of new posters showed up on the board. They would jump into heated discussion, with strong points of view, 90% would be using the same "talking Points" of Somchai was democratically elected, Thaskin was elected by the vast majority of the people,...etc, this usually started from post 1 and on.

Bottom line is I think a lot of the bloviating that was taking place was orchestrated by outside forces.

Yes i noticed this too.

What was interesting was not only the flood of new posters who seemed to share the same view, but also some of the old faces on the board who perhaps previously hadn't been that vocal about their political persuasion, suddenly laying their cards on the table... and what an ugly hand they revealed!

As if any long term stayers in Thailand actually give a toss what corrupt politician is in power....

If any one of then made a law that enabled Farangs to own land and relaxed visa regulations, you'd all support him, no matter how corrupt he was.

.....edited.....

......We all have the option of leaving if we are unhappy. If we eat at a restaurant and the service is bad, we are not obliged to spend the rest of our lives eating there are we?

...........edited......

Well the options get rather limited if we have fallen in love with the waitress, but hate the place, the food, the decor, the owner, the loo, the tiles, the wall paint, the cutlery, the crockery, the furniture, the other staff, the location, the light fittings, the menu, the prices..... :o

That's an interesting analogy- however I like the restaurant -it's that rude waitress picking her nose over my food I can't stand. ( I swear that is THE national pastime) Besides, I've already paid for the meal and the next restaurant is a pain in the ass to get to ...

Edited by HorseDoctor

Yes i noticed this too.

As if any long term stayers in Thailand actually give a toss what corrupt politician is in power....

If any one of then made a law that enabled Farangs to own land and relaxed visa regulations, you'd all support him, no matter how corrupt he was.

In another recent thread you said that if any of us were in a position of power and offered millions of baht in a backhander, we would all accept and to he-l with doing what was right for country.

Believing that everybody given the chance would likewise abandon all the basic principles of decency, i'm sure gives you some comfort, but you might like to consider opening your mind to the possibility that we are all different and that for some of us there might be more important things in life than personal gain. Not that it's not a factor of course, but there are times when other things are more important. For you it would seem not.

Yeah , the law would stand for a few years and then WHAM sorry Farang , we take back our land now - too bad .

No way the land ownership laws will change, it is the entire cornerstone of the immigration dept.'s supreme goal to marry off Thai women to hapless foreigners. Then said foreigner is expected to support wife's family, really quite clever.

That's an interesting analogy- however I like the restaurant -it's that rude waitress picking her nose over my food I can't stand. ( I swear that is THE national pastime) Besides, I've already paid for the meal and the next restaurant is a pain in the ass to get to ...

"THE national pastime" (hilarious). My question is why are they so open about it, but then when they use a toothpick after a meal, they cover their mouths?

Most defend Thailand as it is our adopted home. We all know that we will never be accepted as Thai, even if we eventually obtain Thai citizenship. Defending Thailand does not mean that we are blind to its flaws, we just overlook them and notice the positive. For many we have built our lives here, we have businesses and families. If we constantly bemoaned the negatives about this country, we would never be happy. Most of the really bitter expats are those that wouldn't be completely happy no matter where they lived.

Most defend Thailand as it is our adopted home. We all know that we will never be accepted as Thai, even if we eventually obtain Thai citizenship. Defending Thailand does not mean that we are blind to its flaws, we just overlook them and notice the positive. For many we have built our lives here, we have businesses and families. If we constantly bemoaned the negatives about this country, we would never be happy. Most of the really bitter expats are those that wouldn't be completely happy no matter where they lived.

My sentiments exactly.

.....edited.....

......We all have the option of leaving if we are unhappy. If we eat at a restaurant and the service is bad, we are not obliged to spend the rest of our lives eating there are we?

...........edited......

Well the options get rather limited if we have fallen in love with the waitress, but hate the place, the food, the decor, the owner, the loo, the tiles, the wall paint, the cutlery, the crockery, the furniture, the other staff, the location, the light fittings, the menu, the prices..... :o

May be the waitress was just responding to your happy-go-lucky self :D

This has been an interesting thread, and the responses have been somewhat civil.

As I wrote earlier, I do think that while most positive posts about Thailand do not fit into the OP's description of "Defend Thailand at All Costs," there may be a few posters who flirt with that description. But that point of view seems more logical to me than the opposite as people are here for a reason, and that reason should be fairly postive. I would think that most people who hate Thailand would be far away from here and would never post on TV (with due respect to posters like Horsedoctor whose views arose after she got here and who intends to leave).

So while I am not going to start a new thread, I think a more interesting question is why some expats seem to attack Thailand at all costs.

me too!

what does los offer wimmin?

Lots of young men that don't have girlfriends/wives because they are all with farangs ? :o

May I ask, would you be here if it Thai women were not so... available?

Well, there are women that are more "available" than others to be sure.

But not all are like that. Some require just as much wooing and romancing as any girl from "the west".

I'd still be here any ways. As I've repeated on numerous occasions, Thailand has much more to offer than just a ready supply of young maidens.

However, some people prefer to ignore that, because they want to assume everyone (other than themselves of course) is only here for cheap sex.

I see far more people on this board criticising Thailand at all cost, if I am honest.

If you have a positive attitude then you are accused of having "rose tinted specs".

If you moan at every opportunity you normally claim that you "just tell things like they are"

Well guess what, people with "rosey specs" are also telling things how they are, from their perspective.

The difference is that normally the criticize at all cost "tell it like it is" crowd are the ones with the negative attitude.

Edited by madjbs

So for me , everything bad about Thailand comes from... Thais.

( I think anyone viewing our 2 posts together would assign me the far higher intelligence. )

LOL.... :o

What do you expect to find in Thailand, Eskimo's ?

You're an American right, I know that you're the most popular people on the planet, but living in Thailand and dissing the people of that country is insane, just move on to wherever you feel comfortable, I hear there are Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan with a poulation that loves you, try that. Lot's of horses in Afghanistan too!

Yep, you're really smart.... you live in a country you despise, I live in a country I like.

What a dumbazz I must be. :D:D:D

Again the slanderous insults,

May I ask, would you be here if it Thai women were not so... available?

Pot? Kettle?

I see far more people on this board criticising Thailand at all cost, if I am honest.

If you have a positive attitude then you are accused of having "rose tinted specs".

If you moan at every opportunity you normally claim that you "just tell things like they are"

Well guess what, people with "rosey specs" are also telling things how they are, from their perspective.

The difference is that normally the criticize at all cost "tell it like it is" crowd are the ones with the negative attitude.

Exactly,

I just happen to be happy in Thailand, and I don't spout off about all the negatives, so I'm accused of wearing rose tinted specs, ridiculous considering I've been here 18 years, or being a Thai apologist, again totally ridiculous, if I wasn't happy here, guess what, I'd leave. 18 days, 18 Months , 18 years, if I didn't like it, i'd leave.

I know that many of the constant whingers and whiners are stuck in Thailand cos they can't afford the airfare home, or they're being held at gunpoint by the wifes family, but seriously, if you find Thailand don't agree with you, why do you stay and suffer ?

I have a UK pasport, if I was unhappy I'd soon be out of this place, I can virtually choose my destination, why would I stay in a place I disliked........... :o

To all the whingers and whiners I would like to ask you something.

If you don't like living in Thailand, why do you live in Thailand ?

Exactly,

I just happen to be happy in Thailand, and I don't spout off about all the negatives, so I'm accused of wearing rose tinted specs, ridiculous considering I've been here 18 years, or being a Thai apologist, again totally ridiculous, if I wasn't happy here, guess what, I'd leave. 18 days, 18 Months , 18 years, if I didn't like it, i'd leave.

I know that many of the constant whingers and whiners are stuck in Thailand cos they can't afford the airfare home, or they're being held at gunpoint by the wifes family, but seriously, if you find Thailand don't agree with you, why do you stay and suffer ?

I have a UK pasport, if I was unhappy I'd soon be out of this place, I can virtually choose my destination, why would I stay in a place I disliked........... :o

To all the whingers and whiners I would like to ask you something.

If you don't like living in Thailand, why do you live in Thailand ?

They don't like Thailand, Thai people, Thai attitudes..etc, but they are all here on THAIVISA posting about "THAILAND". Sounds to me like they can't get over the country.

Hey, if you think your life is better in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or the Philippines or the good old US of A, than why are you still in Thailand?

Unhappy here? do something about it! THE DOOR SWINGS BOTH WAYS........DUHHHH!

Oh geez! The world is not black and white and neither is Thailand. Paradise on earth does not exist. Most of us who are rational and not on poppy seeds like SOME things about Thailand, and dislike OTHER things, just like anywhere we might choose to live.

Goodness, who cares? They're just defending their adopted country. When they lived in their own country they may very well have argued the same way. I don't feel the need to piss on them so I can feel I'm cool and hip and use stupid phrases like "rose-tinted glasses syndrome." Thailand defenders and those who hate them just need to get a real life.