New Years Eve - Pattaya

BigDamo

Hey guys, Wondering what Pattaya is like on new years eve? We have to attend the compulsory hotel do first but def want to explore Walking Street etc and thinking is it a normal night or do they spoil everything like in the UK by issueing tickets and closed doors etc??

:o

No there are no tickets except to the rip off gala dinners the hotels charge.

What some bar and go-go owners do though is raise barfines to stratospheric levels with the lame excuse that they need to do so not to make a rip roaring profit but to make sure they have enough girls available all night. The fact that they cannot get away with this disgraceful business practice at other times when the same argument exists is just another reason to avoid such places.

Normally some places with food on through the evening, a party atmosphere and places open slightly later than usual. Just slightly bigger night than usual really.

There is way way way way to many people in Walking Street on NYE, you cannot move its absolutely awful.

My advice is to stay in, NYE is the most over-rated night of the year, and ought to be banned.

Over the last 2 years, I joined the crowd at Bali Hai Pier; food stalls, beer stalls, places to sit (if lucky), loads of people and from 10 p.m. live bands performing. Of course the count down is part of it all.

It's a 'Thai style' of celebrating NYE: uncomplicated and up2the people!

Where is the Bali Hai Pier? Is it at the end of Walking Street??

Ive heard December/January is the best time to be in Pattaya for the weather and its busy... this right?

The weather is good this time of year 26-32 and not as humid as normal, and the pier is where you think it is.

Xmas N year its very busy but gets comparatively quieter not long after this.

Make sure you get to the pier or somewhere with a view of the beach for midnight, the fireworks are spectacular. Forget the olympics or world cup, if you get a good vantage point there will be more fireworks than you can shake a stick at in every direction.

Walking street is a nightmare though, as everyone is squeezed onto the pavements due to the foodstalls.

Make sure you get to the pier or somewhere with a view of the beach for midnight, the fireworks are spectacular. Forget the olympics or world cup, if you get a good vantage point there will be more fireworks than you can shake a stick at in every direction.

Walking street is a nightmare though, as everyone is squeezed onto the pavements due to the foodstalls.

where do they let the fireworks off?

Absolutely everywhere. All the hotels have their own displays as well as the council ones going off at Bali Hi. There must be 10's of millions of $'s going up in smoke in Pattaya during that 10 minutes. My parents were here last year and were just amazed at the shear volume of fireworks all the way along the seafront.

My advice is to stay in, NYE is the most over-rated night of the year, and ought to be banned.

A bit extreme.

Extreme but fair, my first NYE in Patts i thought was the best thing ever with the absolute chaos, but last year i had a nightmare evening if it could go wrong it did.

Edited by spiderman2

Absolutely everywhere. All the hotels have their own displays as well as the council ones going off at Bali Hi. There must be 10's of millions of $'s going up in smoke in Pattaya during that 10 minutes. My parents were here last year and were just amazed at the shear volume of fireworks all the way along the seafront.

sounds great. I will take the family down for the night. Does anywhere use tom-tom drums in the build up to the countdown as they do in Nana bkk. It really does add to the experience

Been there for the last few years & the prices just keep getting higher & higher .

Will the global downturn affect it ????

Hey Dave , is Blues Factory turning it on as good as last year ??? or have the drink prices escalated ????

Lam performing ???

Hey guys, Wondering what Pattaya is like on new years eve? We have to attend the compulsory hotel do first but def want to explore Walking Street etc and thinking is it a normal night or do they spoil everything like in the UK by issueing tickets and closed doors etc??

Pattaya is nothing like the UK!! You'll have the best New Year ever and I'll be there to join in the fun :D Walking Street is very commercial and tourist orientated, I suggest you start the night on Soi 7/8 first then move to Walking street later. You won't need tickets but it'll be busy. I believe there will be fireworks at Bali Hai pier (far end of walking street). When you get to wlking street I suggest you stop off in Happy Ago-go for a light refreshment :D Any questions I'm always here...

I was qouted 11,000 Baht for the Dusit Resorts "GALA" new year evening. My visiting family were going to check in there on the 31st but decided against it as the cost was going to be exhorbitabt to both stay there and for the "GALA" and will now check in on the 1st Jan. Greed gone mad.

Been there for the last few years & the prices just keep getting higher & higher .

Will the global downturn affect it ????

Hey Dave , is Blues Factory turning it on as good as last year ??? or have the drink prices escalated ????

Lam performing ???

Its at the moment slightly up on last year but way down on 2006, who knows what the next few months will be like? :D

Lam is indeed performing and on top form and prices haven't changed.

:D

Im staying at the Dusit over NYE and heard about the compulsory Gala Dinner but never thought it would be that price?? Do you think its included in the reservation fee or will they expect us to cough up an extra £200 when we arrive?? What do you get for that price then? Lobster all round?

Also with the Baht being so strong against the pound at the moment how are the prices holding up? What will you pay for a lrg Singa/Strongbow??

Im staying at the Dusit over NYE and heard about the compulsory Gala Dinner but never thought it would be that price?? Do you think its included in the reservation fee or will they expect us to cough up an extra £200 when we arrive?? What do you get for that price then? Lobster all round?

Also with the Baht being so strong against the pound at the moment how are the prices holding up? What will you pay for a lrg Singa/Strongbow??

singa/strongbow... :D:D you could end paying a hefty price after a night on snakebite's. I have kept away from the stuff for over 20 years now. Its a pisser when you wake up in the cells :D:D

The fireworks are placed in bars feet from you, also watch out for the scammers last year a guy paid 1000 baht for what looked like a nucluer war head, when he lit it there was a small roman candle taped in the spent nuclear war head..

Los is Los the fireworks are unreal, its the wildest night ever watch out for the drunk moronic falangs that apart its worth seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP has not 'done' Pattaya during the Christmas period (or at all from reading some posts?) then this is a good time of year to venture down for a week or so, depending on what you are looking for.

If you are considering driving anywhere, the roads across the country get very busy on the 30th and to a stand still on the 31st.

To avoid the 'rip' off Christmas dinners simply book those target days is a small hotel without any onsite catering.