Dogs Banned From Beach?

melbat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolute NOT my intention to bash Amanda. I have never met her, and if I ever do it may very well be that we get along.

Although, after reading her posts about her dogs, that's a part I have some thoughts on (and I was talking in general as well) and that is why I reacted.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Discrimination - Pit Bull Owners Face it Daily

November 6th, 2008

Discrimination is a real problem within the Pit Bull community.

People often over look the details of discrimination. There are Pit Bull owners that walk their dogs before the sun rises or extremely late at night because they are afraid of discrimination. They are afraid of people who spit, throw coke cans at them, poor hot coffee on them and well, I think you get the point.

Never before in the history of dog ownership have a group of people been so widely discriminated against than Pit Bull owners.

Laws that are put into place to target Pit Bulls are, in my opinion, directly used to discriminate against the owners of Pit Bulls or Pit Bull type dogs.

The Humane Society of the United States as publicly stated on many occasions that Pit Bulls are "the dogs of choice for drug dealers, gang members, and anyone else who is looking for a dog to be a status symbol."

I think we do have to keep in mind that the media does a lot of damage to breeds like the pittbul and the rottweiler.

As soon as there is an incident with these breeds it is all over the media, but the majority of bites by other breeds which can be quite serious as well doesn't get that much attention.

On the other hand, as the bites of fighting dog breeds and many molosers is so strong, plus they bite and hold, the damage is often much more severe then a bite of a Jack Russel terrier, a golden or a lab. Just to name a few breeds.

Isn't is, for example, that we only heard of the labrador that bit of half the face of his owner AFTER there was a successful facial transplantation with the emphasize on the tranplantation. If it would have been a pitt or a rott, it would have been all over the news BEFORE this transplantation with the emphasize on how 'vicious' and untrustable' these breeds are.

However, I do believe the statement by the HUS, which is very unfortunate and brings the pittbull in a very bad daylight.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

hagler, red neck land... you have been watching too much tv.

If you or other residents of the area were having a problem, you would have reported it to the local shire or RSPCA. if a person or persons did what you said you did you would be facing prosecution.

I think you are trying to make yourself look macho, it hasn't worked. In fact I think your whole post is a fabrication, what are you on???

Recent cases of poisoning seem to emanate from Muslim Villages so a lot of dogs here are wary and often downright scared of Thais

And so what, the dogs hear about these cases and discuss it among themselves ?? :o

but don't realise the curative effects of the dogs mouth.

Curative effect from animal saliva ?? Are you for real..

If you have ever had an animal or human bite that went deep, the process of cleaning the wound, leaving it open and unstitched becuase of the high levels of bacteria in the animal saliva etc, isnt done becuase of the 'curative effect' of a dogs mouth !!

Have to say I've got 3 dogs, all soppies. BUT, around my house they bark at Thais and ignore Westerners!

Two of them are ex-soi dogs, so why the Thai bias?

None are pit bulls, but whilst I don't trust the breed I have to admit all I've met here have been v friendly.

No1 rule for us:

Dogs are always on the leash as soon as we leave our house!!!! ALWAYS!!!

Sometimes we have a beach walk as well early in the morning.

My dogs are trained to sit down and wait when a pack of beach dogs are trying to attack them......and they sit down and do nothing at all.

Gerd

Seems that I have upset amanda76 (and a few others with a previous statement).

Apologies to all.

SB I apologize to you too, I just hate stereotyping.

:o Unless of course you're gay or an Indian tailor.

or a female troll just out to make trouble.............

• 2 weeks later...

Family's 2 Pit Bulls Kill Rubidoux Man

Updated 5:19 PM PST, Fri, Dec 19, 2008

RUBIDOUX, Calif. -- A Rubidoux man was attacked and killed Friday by his family's two pit bulls, a sheriff's sergeant said.A Rubidoux man is attacked and killed by his family's two pit bulls. $(document).ready(function(){ $('#jqm_wrp_2') .jqDrag('.jqDrag') .jqm({ trigger: '#storyMedia2', ajax: 'http://www.nbclosangeles.com/i/dispatcher/?command=LoadVideo&id=36476439&seq=1', target: '#jqm_cont_2', overlay: 0, onShow: function(h) {h.w.css('opacity',1).fadeIn("fast");}, onHide: function(h) {h.w.fadeOut("fast",function() { if(h.o) h.o.remove(); }); } }); }); The attack was reported at 12:10 p.m., according to sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez.

"It appears at this time it is a very tragic accident," Gutierrez said. "Of course this family is very distraught, right before the holidays."

About noon, the grandfather of the house, located at 5787 Kenwood Place, stepped outside to smoke a cigarette. The animals attacked the man unprovoked.

One relative was home at the time of the attack and was unable to stop the dogs. The man died inside the home before paramedics could render any aid.

The dogs were captured and will be euthanized, Gutierrez said.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Fa...bidoux-Man.html

RUBIDOUX, Calif. -- A Rubidoux man was attacked and killed Friday by his family's two pit bulls, a sheriff's sergeant said.A Rubidoux man is attacked and killed by his family's two pit bulls. The attack was reported at 12:10 p.m., according to sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez.

"It appears at this time it is a very tragic accident," Gutierrez said. "Of course this family is very distraught, right before the holidays."

About noon, the grandfather of the house, located at 5787 Kenwood Place, stepped outside to smoke a cigarette. The animals attacked the man unprovoked.

One relative was home at the time of the attack and was unable to stop the dogs. The man died inside the home before paramedics could render any aid.

Interesting topic, and some quite emotive responses. I can understand both sides (pro and anti camps for allowing dogs on beaches), and I think the key is awareness on the part of all dog owners. Not everyone likes dogs, and the majority of beach users here are tourists, who are not here to feel threatened either by humans or dogs. A responsible owner will take all precautions to ensure their animal(s) do not cause any form of distress to others (i.e. keep them on a lead, and avoid using a beach at times there will be a high number of beach users). Be particularly careful around children.

I have 2 young (10 months) Golden Retrievers, and regularly take them to the beach for swimming exercise. I first took them to Kata also, but no longer as too many people and Soi dogs. Tried Nai Harn, but similar problem, coupled with quite fierce surf that's not conducive for their swimming. Now I go to Rawai, in the area of the food court, timing the trips around high tide so the dogs can spend around 2 hours or so swimming. We've even taken them on a couple of occasions on a long tailed boat to Koh Bon, where they are guaranteed not to meet other dogs!

I am a long time dog owner. Years ago I used to enjoy walking with my dog along various beaches. But these walks often became a nightmare because of the stray beach dogs defending their territory and attacking my dog. My dog is very friendly, but will defend himself aggressively when under attack. After a short time I stopped my beach walks. Pity really as my dog really enjoyed his beach walks. I would be pleased to see the authorities rounding up all these strays and dealing with them as they see fit.

I am a long time dog owner. Years ago I used to enjoy walking with my dog along various beaches. But these walks often became a nightmare because of the stray beach dogs defending their territory and attacking my dog. My dog is very friendly, but will defend himself aggressively when under attack. After a short time I stopped my beach walks. Pity really as my dog really enjoyed his beach walks. I would be pleased to see the authorities rounding up all these strays and dealing with them as they see fit.

Do you understand dog behaviour at all?? Was your dog actually hurt? Do you really not realise that dogs mock fight but it means nothing!!

Dogs are like men, all mouth and no trousers!

If you really want someone to 'round up these strays and do with them as they see fit' i.e. kill them .....- you are not a dog lover by any stretch of the imagination. I pity your dog.

Edited by F1fanatic

Do you understand dog behaviour at all?? Was your dog actually hurt? Do you really not realise that dogs mock fight but it means nothing!!

If you really want someone to 'round up these strays and do with them as they see fit' i.e. kill them .....- you are not a dog lover by any stretch of the imagination. I pity your dog.

Yes, had to take him to the vet. Was no mock fight.

Never said I was a dog lover, said I am a dog owner.

Sounds like you don't think there is a stray dog problem at all. If other dogs that are pets get hurt, or a person gets bitten, you want to blame the victim. Sheesh!

So I was at Nai Harn yesterday looking for the dog that bit my daughter and believe it or not, all I saw on the whole beach was just one dog. Sure appears that some enforcing has been happening. Maybe the monks heard from the beach chair people to keep all the strays back at the temple, and maybe a few foreign owners have actually been fined. Maybe......................

RUBIDOUX, Calif. -- A Rubidoux man was attacked and killed Friday by his family's two pit bulls, a sheriff's sergeant said.A Rubidoux man is attacked and killed by his family's two pit bulls. The attack was reported at 12:10 p.m., according to sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez.

It seems that one of the dogs had puppies:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008...-dog-attac.html

Posted by: JP | December 20, 2008 at 06:56 AM

I have known the man that was killed for forty-eight years. He was my brothers best friend. His name is Jerald and I can't remember his last name. The dogs belonged to his grandkids. One of the dogs had puppies and he went out back to feed them. and they attacked him and killed him. He died there at home. He was also suffering from MS. He will be greatly missed.

Possible maternal aggression that went over in predatory aggression.

Nonetheless, a most horrific way to die. And something that shouldn't have been possible to happen.

May this man rest in peace. My deepest condolences to his family.

In a way you can make a comparison there. And it is often correct when they are alone. However, when in a group/pack it's a different story.

Together they can feal pretty fearless, and can do lots of harm. In case of dogs, the initial territorial aggression can go over in predatory aggression which happen quicker when dogs are in a group.

I do agree with F1f were it concerns helping to reduce the over-population of (stray) dogs through sterilization.

Doing nothing but only complaining doesn't solve this problem.