Angkor Wat

Honza.a

Hello

I woul like to go from Bangkok to Cambodia to Angkor wat by my own car Honda Civic. Does anybody of you guys know if it is save or is there any risk on the Cambodian side? Have you guys already tried it? And are the roads from the border to the wat OK for my honda ?

Thanks for any comments

H.

Hello

I woul like to go from Bangkok to Cambodia to Angkor wat by my own car Honda Civic. Does anybody of you guys know if it is save or is there any risk on the Cambodian side? Have you guys already tried it? And are the roads from the border to the wat OK for my honda ?

Thanks for any comments

H.

Firstly, every car rental company would have it in the contract: the car is no to be taken and driven outside of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Your own car, in Cambodia, they drive the other side of the road.

I would ask my insurance company.

you would be insane to risk driving your car to cambodia. the roads are pot-holed dirt tracks (at best). i wouldn't even suggest going by pick-up truck unless you've got plenty of time to waste and aren't bothered about comfort.

it's best to fly to angkor wat direct from bkk, approx one hour and 4,000 baht single.

I went by road about 4 months ago.

Considered taking my own car honda civic. Is a bit low in profile. I like to drive places in my own car as well

Glad I didn't.

The road surface was drivable (at low speed) in a sedan but it would seriously take a lot of life out of it.

When you got your car back to tar seal it would feel sick and rattle a lot and you would take a lot of life from your tyres.

I got a cambodian driver to take us. 1100 baht one way I think. They are easy to find. He drove a toyota camry?carolla. Averaged 60 kms/hr and it was pritty bone jarring in long sections. Some road was tar seal (10km or so in the towns along the way) but was bad as it was in disrepair, the rest was metal. One bridge in particular was bad as it had collapsed in places needing good front and rear clearance to make the angles. The camrys suspension has a lot more drift and clearance than a civic. He also was driving on commercial type tyres with a higher ply rating and they were pritty bullet proof.

Hello

Thanks for any comments

H.

Like you, I would like to drive to Ankhor Wat (Siam Reap) - and like you I got little or no useful advice...all of it from people who haven't done it.

Unlike you I have a 4WD pick-up which is more suited to the inevitable patches of poor road although I understand that greater and greater stretches are now asphalted.

It is about 150 /200 m from the border to Siam Reap so whatever the conditions of the road it should be possible in a day at this time of year.

However, I don't see this as the main problem; my main concerns are bureaucracy at the border and paperwork (the car’s and your own i.e. driving licence) followed by possible theft or crime and probable lack of insurance. Under the ASEAN treaty cars are meant to be allowed free travel between member countries, so in theory it's possible but the practicalities are still a mystery.

I have heard of people who regularly drive from Pattaya to Phnom Penn, but I haven’t met them. I did read of one guy driving into Cambodia and claiming the only problem he had was the time involved getting back into Thailand again.

Another issue that remains unanswered is that of being allowed to drive one’s own vehicle into the area around the temples. I paid for a three day pass last time and got a man and motorbike for $20 a day on top. I didn’t notice any car passes but then I wasn’t looking! It has occurred to me since that they might not like private foreign cars taking business away from the locals. I think that it would be marvellous to have your own car to drive round the temples.

However despite all this I still intend to undertake the journey at some time, I think it would be an adventure. I am also looking for anyone who is interested in coming along and sharing costs (and some of the risks!)

I thought my advice was quite helpful considering I have done it albeit in someone elses sudan and that I have the same model car as the original poster.

There was not much tar seal road about 5 months ago. The parts that were there were in disrepair and was worst then driving on the metal sections.

It took about 3.5 hours to drive in a sudan

If your sudan has a faring kit on the front end that reduces ground clearance to traverse steep angles then you will not be able to cross one of the collapsed bridges without damaging your vehicle.

Be prepared to damage your tyres if you are driving on passenger tyres and want to make the journey in reasonable time.

To take your own vehicle

1. Take your ownership papers or a letter from your company (if it's a company car) giving you permission to take the car out of the country.

2. Need to purchase insurance (at boarder)

3. International or Thai licence

Ask Thai immigration at the boarder and they will point you to the correct office to do the boarder crossing paperwork for your car.

With respect, I think it is a crazy idea when you can get a driver with a Camry for what, 1,000 baht plus at the border.

Apart from the likely damage to the car, what are you going to do if on-route you meet some nice Cambodian gentlemen with guns who decide it would be a good idea for you to hand over your vehicle?

I'm sure there is plenty of adventure available in Cambodia even without your Honda Civic. :o

I take my car across the border at Had Lek quite often, and it is a simple matter.

The car is in my name. They do check the log book.

I tell the immigration I am taking the car, as I get the exit stamp.

They record the details, and I then go to the customs who also record the details.

On the Cambodian side there is a charge of 100 baht a day.

No mention of insurance (this is not the Malaysian border) though you are well advised to get your normal cover extended for a trip outside Thailand.

Travel is limited to the province where you enter Cambodia, I am not sure if this will get you to Siam Reap.

Roads are pretty awful, and I would not take a low slung saloon over.

I drive a 4x4.

They drive on the right over there, so special care is needed.

I thought my advice was quite helpful considering I have done it albeit in someone elses sudan

I think this advice is very helpful as you actually address the process of crossing the border. Bad roads may prevent access by a saloon car but bad douments and bureaucracy may prove to be the end of anyone's attempt at this trip. - What's a "Sudan"? an Africar?

Come on its not as if your attempting to go up the Amazon in a dug out canoe.

Done in a 4 x 4 the journey would be a breeze. The roads while in parts bad are all passable. The potholed section from Poipet for 100klms to Siem Reap just needs a steady hand at the wheel. 1/3 of the way before Siem Reap its all smooth tarmac. The roads onwards to either Phnom Penh or the opposite way to Kampot are smooth concrete roads.

Once inside Cambodia with your own vechicle you have the freedom to go where and when you want.

Come on its not as if your attempting to go up the Amazon in a dug out canoe.

Done in a 4 x 4 the journey would be a breeze. The roads while in parts bad are all passable. The potholed section from Poipet for 100klms to Siem Reap just needs a steady hand at the wheel. 1/3 of the way before Siem Reap its all smooth tarmac. The roads onwards to either Phnom Penh or the opposite way to Kampot are smooth concrete roads.

Once inside Cambodia with your own vechicle you have the freedom to go where and when you want.

I take it you took your own vehicle - what docs did you take and what payments were you required to make - if any...did you have insurance? Are foreign vehicles allowed in and around Ankhor Wat? Do you experience any problems coming back into Thailand?

Yes I have a basic 4x4 pick-up so I'm not too worried about the roads, but I am looking for a fellow traveller. Who wants a lift to Ankhor Wat?

Edited by wilko

Try telling that to Cambodian Customs post at Mean Chey!!

Do you experience any problems coming back into Thailand?

This should be very straight forward as you have a Thai Temporary Export document in your hand.

Try telling that to Cambodian custom post at Mean chey!!

The customs here try to be a lot stricter with travel in your own vechicle, that is true. They will restrict your travel to Ko Kong province, making you report "everyday" to customs. They will also charge 150baht per week for the duration of your stay. Word here is greasy palms.. :o

Thai side you simply fill in a form & pay 50Baht on exit.