Back Up Power Source

loong

Hi all,

As I have no choice in the village here, the only internet access I can get is by using Ipstar.

One of the many problems with Ipstar is that if the power level, I don't know if it is voltage or Amps, drops the internet signal disappears. I have a back up unit that supplies electricity when the power level drops, but when the level drops it BEEPs BEEps BEEPs and drives me mad.

Is there a speaker inside that I can disconnect? If I touch any thing inside am I likely to get a shock from the back up batteriesMaybe it's better to take it to Dtuk Com or somewhere like that and ask them to disconeect these F.....ing BEEEPs.

Any info much appreciated

Cheers

OK, yes a UPS is quite capable of killing you!! CARE PLEASE.

The squeeker is likely soldered to the PCB so cutting a wire is difficult. But all is not lost. First RTFM (read the manual) many units allow you to disable the beeper, otherwise you can reduce the volume by bunging the hole in the sounder with blu-tac (it's usually a black round thingy) :o

If the power is not actually going off, adding an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) in front of the UPS will reduce the number of times it actually needs to start beeping :D

Edited by Crossy

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the manual has disappeared, so maybe I will cut the power to it and let it beep while I'm out sometime to drain the battery, then I may feel confident to investigate carefully.

I don't really understand why the beeping is necessary, the manufacturers must realise how annoying it is! After all you will usually notice a power cut.

An Automatic Voltage Regulator sounds like a good idea as we don't really get too many power cuts here, just the fluctuations at times. Are they easy to get hold of here? Expensive? Buy in Dtuk Com or somewhere that they sell computers?

Thanks again

An Automatic Voltage Regulator sounds like a good idea as we don't really get too many power cuts here, just the fluctuations at times. Are they easy to get hold of here? Expensive? Buy in Dtuk Com or somewhere that they sell computers?

Look here http://www.powermatic.co.th/product/w_tca.htm power your PC from it too for added peace of mind :o

Locate your mfg and model number of your UPS (usually can be found on a rear label) and then do a 'Google' (or perhaps go directly to the mfg website) as there are many mfgs that provide free online (down-loadable) Operator's manuals. I agree with other replies that there is usually a described function within the front panel controls that will 'mute' the annoying beep heard when the input line voltage goes below or above the setpoints identified in UPS.

I'd also recommend getting an AVR. I had a few cheapo chinese ones, 2KVA loading, they stabilised the voltage as low as 90v up to 240.

Removing the speaker in the UPS? just pop a screwdriver behind it and twist - i did it to about 4 sunpacs i had. Annoying buggers they are