P/t language teaching

Good morning.

I am in the process of planning a small teaching sideline and would appreciate any comments or advice. Horror stories most welcome!

The plan is as follows:

i. Organise rental of a classroom from a private language school.

ii. Advertise my English language teaching services to recruit students.

iii. Continue my regular full-time job.

iv. Teach a maximum of 10 x one hour lessons with no more than seven (preferably adult learner) students per class.

To date I have been offered a small air-conditioned classroom for a fixed fee of 3000B per month.

I have calculated a total of 10 hours part-time work per week teaching a target of 50-70 students per week.

I am now working on the course outline details and, of course, fee structure.

This has been accomplished in less than a week, so if it turns out to be just the wrong way to making some extra cash, mai pen rai.

And so, to the top... any comments of advice?

Thank you.

AJ  :cool:

50-70 students per week

That target seems ambitious. See ajarn.com for ''horror stories'' of Thai children not turning up for class. That's at school, of course, which is different. People who pay money presumably want to learn.

I still think you'll have trouble pulling in that many people. A Thai guy comes to see me once a week for English (I get to practise my Thai, so we don't pay each other).

Even that arrangement runs into peril. Three weeks ago he didn't come (says he had an exam); and today he failed to show up as well, despite telling me several times this week he'd show.

Good luck, anyway.