Ever Rented A Motorbike And Had It Stolen?

robee

Ever rented a motorbike and had it stolen? What's the procedure and solution if there is no insurance on scooter? Not looking for free legal advice but if you have some input would like to hear comments.

Not personally, but there are a number of posts here on the issue, search Kho Tao and stolen motorbikes, and Chiangmai, they seem to be the two most likely places it goes on.

On the issue of motor bikes, last Sunday at 7pm, me and gf went to 7-11 near Irish Pub in CM. I sat on our bike waiting for her. There was a Honda Wave, no plates, brand spanking new sitting outside the 7-11 un-maned and "running". A shop owner came over when he saw me sitting there looking strangely at the Wave. He said it had been sitting there for over an hour, still running without anyone showing interest in it. I went over, and with the help of a 12yr old kid we go it to stop. We called the cops and that was it!!!!!!!! Strange, very strange, guess it was a stollen bike, no key and could not turn it off until we shorted out the spark plug. Anybody missing a bike!!!

Similar problems worldwide, I rented a big bike in Greece and one morning (didn't realize till I went to turn a corner) my mirrors had been stolen. Needless to say I had to pay for replacements, the cynic in me believes that the rental co had something to do with it but as usual in a foreign land you aren't so well covered by insurance.

Mate of mine just got ripped off by a very reputable Harley rental agency in the US too.

If you rented from a Thai, I would say pay up and live another day.

Chances are the 'bike' is stolen often. It's probably one of the quaint little scams the Thais have.

i did yes, and got that same feeling as it was all so smooth, 4 hours later its gone missing and they want 50,000 baht when the papers showed the price new 3 years ago was 32,000. funny except ima be the only one "not" laughing

If these inccidents do occur, it could be a scam from the actual place you hire the motorbike from.....I`ve heard from thai people in Koh samui who have done it....

If you think about it, they pocket so much money doing these scams....When you sign the papers you need to put your hotel name and address also your signature is what gets them paid at the end. I never put my real hotel address where ever i hire a bike from....

They could come so easily with the spare key take there bike put it in a garage and you`ll have to pay for a new bike.....and you`ll be crying if you hired a big bike...

But generally they do it with scooters...

Never put your real hotel guys....

Andy

Edited by junki3korean

If these inccidents do occur, it could be a scam from the actual place you hire the motorbike from.....I`ve heard from thai people in Koh samui who have done it....

If you think about it, they pocket so much money doing these scams....When you sign the papers you need to put your hotel name and address also your signature is what gets them paid at the end. I never put my real hotel address where ever i hire a bike from....

They could come so easily with the spare key take there bike put it in a garage and you`ll have to pay for a new bike.....and you`ll be crying if you hired a big bike...

But generally they do it with scooters...

Never put your real hotel guys....

Andy

honda scooter, yup yup, lesson learned.

Never ever hire a motorbike on a credit/debit card overseas. Pay cash. I was badly fleeced on a Greek Island who ended up charging me 900 Euros for something that should have been 100 Euros, because after I had left the country they successfully used my credit card as guarantee for non-existing damage.

I never got the money back. I had to pay it all.

yeps had one stolen in Chewang, kicked off the bike by two Thais. expensive evening after they stole my gold chain , bracelet and wallet. 45k for the honda Click such delightful people out there! :o

Sorry for you. Bit late to say don't flash your cash.

Happens more and more these days but for once these people

show no racism or dual pricing and do this to Thais as well.

yeps had one stolen in Chewang, kicked off the bike by two Thais. expensive evening after they stole my gold chain , bracelet and wallet. 45k for the honda Click such delightful people out there! :o

sorry, guess i was let off cheap then.

When I rent and before I drive off, I always ask what a replacement will cost if it is stolen. I am currently renting by the month.

Here in CM, I am renting a Honda Wave 125 with gears and they told me 25000 (and they said "second hand"). That seemed fair enough to me. In reality, it is probably worth a little less than that. But at least I know what I owe if the worse happens.

I also asked for a chain with padlock but I rarely lock it up unless it seems risky where I park.

I must pay for any tire problems, also. I mentally figure that I am actually paying about 1/3 more per month when I include these risks (including bike damage) amortized on a monthly basis. I am OK with that.

LuvThailand

When I rent and before I drive off, I always ask what a replacement will cost if it is stolen. I am currently renting by the month.

Here in CM, I am renting a Honda Wave 125 with gears and they told me 25000 (and they said "second hand"). That seemed fair enough to me. In reality, it is probably worth a little less than that. But at least I know what I owe if the worse happens.

I also asked for a chain with padlock but I rarely lock it up unless it seems risky where I park.

I must pay for any tire problems, also. I mentally figure that I am actually paying about 1/3 more per month when I include these risks (including bike damage) amortized on a monthly basis. I am OK with that.

LuvThailand

If you dont mind me asking how much to hire a honda wave by month in chaing mai?

LuvThailand

sounds prudent, but never occurred to me to ask. rented many and never had a problem. would like to know as well, how much you paying???

If you rented from a Thai, I would say pay up and live another day.

Chances are the 'bike' is stolen often. It's probably one of the quaint little scams the Thais have.

the other day i asked the owner via tourist police what would happen when the bike is found? owner had a strange look and then said something i could not understand.