Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

capt995436ca93774b258366bf19905cb6f.jpg

Anti-government protester is helped after being injured from a bomb thrown to a crowd by an unidentified man at Suvarnabhumi airport, in the early hours of Wednesday Nov. 26, 2008. Parts of Bangkok's main international airport had been sieged by anti-government protesters who demand the resignation of Thailand's Prime Minister, Somchai Wongsawat.

Associated Press

captfdf88325176346c98912742164e63e6.jpg

Anti-government protester is helped after being injured from a bomb thrown to a crowd by an unidentified man at Suvarnabhumi airport, in the early hours of Wednesday Nov. 26, 2008. Parts of Bangkok's main international airport had been besieged by anti-government protesters who demand the resignation of Thailand's Prime Minister, Somchai Wongsawat.

AP

capt64b84f9ffcf640a4bb1141f39ddf544.jpg

captd3be04bcd5f14654aeb77b2ec8bd625.jpg

Anti-government protesters listen to a speech during their protest at Suvarnabhumi international airport, Tuesday evening, Nov. 25, 2008 in Bangkok, Thailand. About 5,000 protesters blocked the entrance to the airport and seized the compound outside the terminal building in an attempt to disrupt the arrival on Wednesday of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat who was in Peru for the APEC summit.

AP

captc25eb69ab4b448ac9d1b856be2e56c3.jpg

Anti government protesters in front of the departure terminal at Suvarnabhumi airport, Bangkok in the early hours of Wednesday Nov. 26, 2008.

AP

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Angry travellers who spent the night sleeping on baggage carousels and at check-in desks complained that they had nothing to eat or drink since the protesters burst into the two-year-old terminal.

"We spent the night here after all the check-in staff ran away. No one is here to help."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...JRXywyzD_SY2VZQ

Thousands stranded as protesters seize Bangkok airport

BANGKOK (AFP) — Thai protesters on Wednesday tightened their grip on Bangkok's international airport, where two people were hurt in a blast and thousands of travellers left stranded by anti-government demonstrations.

Grenade attacks elsewhere in the city deepened the sense of lawlessness after demonstrators stormed the showpiece airport Tuesday night, dramatically escalating their campaign against Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Suvarnabhumi Airport -- a three-billion-dollar hub for travel throughout Southeast Asia -- was shut for the rest of the day as guards from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protest movement blocked access roads.

"I have been informed by Thai Airways that 3,000 passengers are stranded at the terminal now," airport director Saereerat Prasutanont told AFP, adding that 78 outbound and incoming flights were cancelled.

"Protesters refused to negotiate with anyone except the prime minister."

Angry travellers who spent the night sleeping on baggage carousels and at check-in desks complained that they had nothing to eat or drink since the protesters burst into the two-year-old terminal.

"It's not fair," said Vanessa Sloan, 31, from Florida, who was supposed to fly to the northern city of Chiang Mai on Wednesday. "We spent the night here after all the check-in staff ran away. No one is here to help."

"We all came to Thailand because we love Thailand but this has left a very bad feeling," added British retiree Jean McCartan.

Some PAD supporters later handed out sandwiches, cookies and drinks.

Authorities Wednesday began evacuating passengers on buses, but there were no announcements and a queue of about 1,000 people soon streamed up escalators as the vehicles trickled in one at a time, AFP reporters said.

The protesters said that they would occupy the futuristic airport until Somchai quits, adding that any airlines hoping to fly in our out had to seek their permission.

A sea of about 8,000 demonstrators, wearing yellow clothes in a traditional symbol of loyalty to the revered monarchy, cheered on PAD leaders who gave speeches from a stage set up in the taxi drop-off area.

Control tower officials were sent home and authorities said the airport would remain closed until the end of the day at the earliest. Authorities denied reports that protesters had seized the tower.

The PAD -- a loose coalition comprising royalists, Bangkok's old elite and the middle class -- is spreading chaos ahead of the prime minister's return from a foreign trip on Wednesday evening.

The alliance launched its campaign in May, accusing Somchai's government of being a corrupt puppet of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was toppled in a 2006 coup and remains in exile to avoid corruption charges.

Support for PAD rallies has dropped in recent weeks, but its seizure of the airport leaves the government in a dilemma.

If it fails to act, Thailand's tourism industry and economy will be further hit, risking the possibility of another military putsch to prevent further chaos.

But the government will also want to avoid a repeat of clashes between protesters and police on October 7 that left two people dead and nearly 500 injured.

The Thai government said it had asked the security forces for assistance and refused to rule out the possibility of emergency action.

The government has been effectively paralysed since protesters occupied the prime minister's offices in central Bangkok in August, forcing Somchai to work from makeshift premises at Bangkok's old Don Mueang airport.

A grenade attack on demonstrators at Don Mueang wounded two people early Wednesday, emergency services said. A near simultaneous blast at Suvarnabhumi left another two protesters injured.

Three more were hurt when two grenades were tossed into a crowd of pro-government supporters on a road to Don Mueang, the site of a clash between rival activists that left 11 hurt on Tuesday, police said.

Somchai has rejected calls to quit. His plane back from the APEC summit in Peru was due to land at an undisclosed location on Wednesday evening.

The Australian government warned citizens to take extra precautions if planning to visit Thailand and the US embassy in Bangkok told its nationals to stay away from the airport.

My father who has been in the airport since last night waiting for a flight with Thai Airways have finaly managed to leave the airport for a hotel in Bangkok.

Nothing has been arranged by Thai Airways, not even any information. The transport and hotel was arranged by a representative from Scandinavian Airlines but he have to pay the costs himself. Thai Airways doesn't give a s**t. :o

I don't think I will ever use Thai Airways again.

MEDIA RELEASE from QANTAS website

The Thai government has advised us that on 24 November 2008, the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has shifted the focus of their protest action to Don Muang Airport (DMK) and Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), which has been the seat of the Thai Government for several months.

As a result of this unrest and the subsequent closure of Bangkok airport, the following flights have been affected.

25 November 2008 - QF2 and codeshare flight BA7312 from London to Sydney via Bangkok will now operate London to Sydney, via Singapore. For customers with a final destination of Bangkok, our airport staff in Singapore will assist with onward travel to Bangkok.

26 November 2008 - QF1 and codeshare flight BA7311 from Sydney to London, via Bangkok will now operate Sydney to London via Singapore. For customers with a final destination of Bangkok, we request that you call Qantas reservations on 131313 to discuss rebooking alternatives. If you are utilizing Bangkok as a stopover transit stop and your final destination is London, you may choose to travel through on this flight to London.

As we are unsure of the duration of this unrest in Bangkok, we do recommend that all non urgent travel to Thailand is

deferred to a later date.

The following outlines the options available to Qantas passengers who are holding a valid ticket on Qantas for travel on or

before 01 December 2008 and who wish to make changes to their bookings.

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=7441

AoT negotiates with protesters to help stranded

SAMUT PRAKAN, Nov 26 (TNA) – The Airports of Thailand (AoT) is trying to negotiate with the anti-government protesters to open the way for passengers, left stranded at Suvarnabhumi airport to go out to stay at hotel while the airport remains closed.

Passengers stranded since Tuesday night were being evacuated from Suvarnabhumi after anti-government PAD took control of the terminal.

Buses were provided to transport the passengers to other locations. Airport manager Serirat Prasutanon said the main concern now is to find the way to let trapped tourists and passengers out of the airport. Food and drinking water were distributed to trapped passengers and negotiations are under way.

Tourists complained about lack of information and sleepless, after the airport has been seized by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators since Tuesday night.

AoT evaluated it would lose about Bt50 million of income for each day the airport is closed.

Meanwhile, Kongkrit Hiranyakit, chairman of the Tourism Council of Thailand said about 60,000 tourists arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport daily.

The council set up an emergency counter there to help trapped passengers and cooperated with its offices in other provinces to facilitate inbound passengers, whose flights were diverted from Suvarnabhumi airport to other international airports, to find accommodation. (TNA)

My father who has been in the airport since last night waiting for a flight with Thai Airways have finaly managed to leave the airport for a hotel in Bangkok.

Nothing has been arranged by Thai Airways, not even any information. The transport and hotel was arranged by a representative from Scandinavian Airlines but he have to pay the costs himself. Thai Airways doesn't give a s**t. :o

that's strange - unless your father is a resident here. You do not get paid by the airlines to go home.

hope not! Got a *very expensive* package coming in! If anyone hears more I'm interested.

DHL, UPS and Fedex flights early arrival this morning were diverted, cancelled. It will effect all airmail, Express cargo full stop.

That is of course if some of the PAD have not been helping themselves to the unattended Express parcels in the cargo storage area (New laptops anyone, Ipods?, DVD''s) if they can reach the control tower i am dam_n sure they are having a nosey in the cargo storage areas of the big courier companys......a bit of a worry.

Thai Government Tells Army to Restore Order at Bangkok Airport

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government called on the military to help restore order at Bangkok's international airport after demonstrators stormed into the main terminal.

"We are using non-violent measures but we may further step up our actions later," government spokesman Nattawut Saikuar said today in a telephone interview from Bangkok.

Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport was closed due to protests. The international airport canceled all departing flights after demonstrators surged into the terminal, the Associated Press reported.

Earlier, thousands of anti-government protesters occupied Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's temporary office, three months after taking over the official Government House compound in central Bangkok.

Anti-government protesters yesterday blockaded parliament, forcing lawmakers to abandon a legislative session, and threatened to confront Somchai at the airport when he returns from an Asia Pacific summit in Peru. The premier has rejected calls for his resignation, and police have avoided clashing with the protesters after an Oct. 7 incident at parliament in which two people died and 470 were injured.

-- Bloomberg 2008-11-25

heard that the other airport in bkk is being protested but remains open, but in the east its hard to know whats going on

A formal complaint should be made. Indeed is very bad service. Nevertheless, they aren't legally responsible for providing transport/hotel in this kind of situation.

Thai Airways provided 10,000 meal boxes to PAD members at Don Mueang airport, and people in the sois are openly saying that Thai Airways supports PAD.

Edited by sangfroid

hope not! Got a *very expensive* package coming in! If anyone hears more I'm interested.

DHL, UPS and Fedex flights early arrival this morning were diverted, cancelled. It will effect all airmail, Express cargo full stop.

That is of course if some of the PAD have not been helping themselves to the unattended Express parcels in the cargo storage area (New laptops anyone, Ipods?, DVD''s) if they can reach the control tower i am dam_n sure they are having a nosey in the cargo storage areas of the big courier companys......a bit of a worry.

Fedex told my assistant just now that they will pick up packages, but they will be warehoused and could of course not speculate when they might leave Thailand.

I'm with the others who speculate that it will take a long time for the airport to reopen given the roving bands of ruffians who are now into every crevice. Who knows what sort of damage they could do, what might be stolen or vandalized, or what security threats might be present once they have all left. I would expect a period of maintenance and security clearance that will last for days or even weeks once the PAD gang has cleared out.

fark i wished i had i just looked on ebookers and klm are doing manchester to singapore for £490!!!!!!!!! what was i thinking going to shithole bkk

Just had an e-mail from Air Asia, new route KL to London approx 300 pounds return, KL to my home town Chiang Mai not much more expensive than from BKK. From now on, PAD can keep old Swampy, I'll not be spending a baht there again.

A formal complaint should be made. Indeed is very bad service. Nevertheless, they aren't legally responsible for providing transport/hotel in this kind of situation.

I am not so sure about that, anyone here who is familiar with IATA rules??. I would have thought that in the event of cancellation of flight for any reason other than passengers own fault then the Airline is legally obliged to provide all assistance necessary?

regards

Freddie

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/26/hea...es_30089472.php

From Skywalker to Darth Vader

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

Published on November 26, 2008

Whether it wins or loses, the PAD will pay a big price for Suvarnabhumi closure

Sondhi Limthongkul was pleading for public sympathy Tuesday night. We regret causing major inconvenience, he said, referring to the seizure of the Suvarnabhumi Airport, but we have no choice. His political movement, the People's Alliance for Democracy, has been targetted for sporadic bomb attacks, and the climbing death and injury tolls are adding to the tragedy of October 7, when police tear gas fired on Parliament-bound protesters killed and maimed many.

The PAD's pain is understandable. Its reaction and subsequent responses are hardly so. When thousands of PAD members staged a blockade at Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday and penetrated the passenger terminal and scuffled with officials, causing a total shutdown of the international airport, what unfolded before us was the transformation of Skywalker into Darth Vader.

Imagine a son about to board a plane to go back home and see his dying mother. Imagine patients in need of urgent medical help stranded. Business deals with be delayed or cancelled. Countless appointments will be missed.

The point is, if these problems and circumstances seem trivial in the PAD's eyes, how could the movement ever expect others and the whole world to appreciate its own situation? Understanding works both ways. If the PAD wants others' sympathy, it has to give it out. As simple as that.

The PAD's latest, most provocative and controversial strategy may yet prove effective. With the military caught in the middle and reluctant to use force either to end the airport blockade or remove the current government, Somchai Wongsawat's administration is looking a bigger lameduck by the hours.

But whatever the outcome of the Suvarnabhumi operation, the PAD will not get the only thing as important as Somchai's resignation _ public understanding and sympathy.

This is not civil disobedience. It's the PAD holding air travellers hostage to push for its goal. It's the PAD leaders telling its loyal followers that if someone inflicts you harm, it's ok to get back even at the expense of innocent others. The airport seizure caused more trouble to people whose sympathy the PAD had sought than the politicians the movement has tried to dislodge.

The travellers suffer real human ordeals. Somchai and his government are only dealt political blows. How the PAD measures the plights of these two groups goes a long way to telling us its principles and ideologies.

Having fought Thaksin Shinawatra and his alleged nominees by standing firm on the issue of conflicts of interests, the PAD has found itself in serious danger of being unravelled ideologically through conflicting values.

The real price the PAD is paying is not the dwindling sympathy from the neutrals or the big ammunition the airport infamy has given its critics. "I'm so saddened and disappointed," said a man who only weeks ago went in and out of Government House on a daily basis to support the movement. "I'm sorry I joined its rally."

It's people like him that is the real cost of the Suvarnabhumi strategy. And the biggest price to pay maybe those PAD members joining the airport blockade or cheering the move back at Government House. The leaders have won their unquestionable loyalty, but risked blurring their conscience once and for all.

The PAD used to be a political movement that did the wrong things for the right reasons. It's impossible to consider the airport seizure to be morally right because it affects hundreds of thousands of innocent people _ the passengers, their relatives, friends or business partners. That damage cannot be translated into financial figures did not mean it was light.

The PAD leaders claim they are abandoning "Ahimsa" (non-violence and non-aggression) because its members have become victims and nobody cares. That is all right as long as what happened on Tuesday evening is shrouded with proclaimed noble goals. When the action is explained in the simplest term _ "We want you to resign or a large number of innocent travellers won't be going home" _ what is the difference between that and holding an innocent passer-by at knife-point to force a bank robber to lay down his gun?

I know a few MODs and a few members have already made this public plea

but I ask again ... please keep THIS particular thread on discussion of what is happening with flights/airport/means of transport

practical information for people that need them would be much appreciated.

No one is saying that you cant view your opinions/frustrations/affiliations/empathy for whichever side of this debacle or their logic and consequences to the mid or long term stability. all we ask is if you can try to put those on other related threads. You can find some of these here:

PAD begin 'last battle at Parliament (and extended to both airports) - for potential solution to current political impasse

High Season Tourism outlook bleak - for economic impact

Thaksin to announce return to Thai politics - for if you want to debate the good, the bad, the ugly of Thaksin, nominees, or alternative to PPP

the list ofcourse is not exhaustive.

we understand the frustration everyone is feeling over the current situation, as well as the emotions involved. Yet we ask you to try to stay within forum rules, in particular any mention advocating violence will not be tolerated. how can we talk about and condemn the violence action by one group and be advocating it in the same breath?

to those affected, I hope something can be worked out soon and that you can continue with your normal life without too long a disruption.

regards

Though I don't think international couriers are in the same areas

Cargo storage for express couriers is adjacent to the cargo ramp on the western apron. In a less secure area than the control tower.

Flight crews yesterday were entering at the cargo apron and then walking to the passenger terminal due to the road blocks.

PAD to block U-Tapao airport

The People's Alliance for Democracy will mobilise its supportesr in eastern provinces to rally at the U-Tapao airport in anticipation that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will land at the airport at 5 pm Wednesday.

A PAD leader announced at the rally site in Government House that protesters would urgently gather at the U-Tapao to try to block Somchai from leaving the airport if he lands there.

Source: The Nation - 26 November 2008

QUESTION PLEASE.

Does anyone know whether there are still travellers at Suwanbumi Airport, or have all travallers left the terminals and are therefore away from the protest?

THANK YOU.

The latest BBC news is saying that many passengers have now left, and includes recent interviews with some who have just got out. They are reporting some problems with getting buses.

A British passenger who has been at Swampy for the last 25 hours waiting for a Thai flight to London was just interviewed on BBC R4 Today program. He said they were now out of Swampy and being bussed to "the sex capital, Pattaya" (he mis-pronounced Pattaya)

A British passenger who has been at Swampy for the last 25 hours waiting for a Thai flight to London was just interviewed on BBC R4 Today program. He said they were now out of Swampy and being bussed to "the sex capital, Pattaya" (he mis-pronounced Pattaya)

WHY would the bus them 90 minutes to Pattaya rather than back to Bangkok?? surely the toll ways are not blocked? and there are plenty of hotel rooms empty in BKK

channel 3 is showing live footage right now.

all seems peaceful with yellow shirts walking around and passangers still in line at the check in counters. Nothing open and the entrance is blocked

Juts interviewd a farnga and she said they are telling them nothing and all she wnats to do is go home

its a shame on the nation.

why is the stock market going up in BKK????

Edited by phuketrichard