george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LASTEST UPDATE:

Britain has annouced that it is sending planes to rescue British passengers from Bangkok airports and fly them back to Britain.

Didn't read that anywhere.

Where are they hoping to land? Its the airport that's closed, not the planes on strike !

Something you made up perhaps ?

LASTEST UPDATE:

Britain has annouced that it is sending planes to rescue British passengers from Bangkok airports and fly them back to Britain.

Care to provide a link to this announcement and inform us where those planes will be landing? In fact what planes they will be?

LASTEST UPDATE:

Care to provide a link to this announcement and inform us where those planes will be landing? In fact what planes they will be?

On the 5.00pm (GMT) BBC 24 News bulletin it was stated that the government has no plans for evacuation at present.

I do not know if anything else appeared elsewhere earlier: I have noticed some rather contradictory BBC reporting at different times of the day.

Edited by citizen33

any news on Don Muang, early morning flight CNX-Don Muang........... updates pls

any news on Don Muang, early morning flight CNX-Don Muang........... updates pls

and why did my last post get edited without any edit mark................. MODS???

looks not so good. news from the PAD cult propaganda mouth piece TOC:

PAD Closes off Don Muang Completely

UPDATE : 26 November 2008

The PAD has closed down Don Muang airport completely in its efforts to prevent Cabinet ministers from flying to Chiang Rai to attend the Cabinet meeting.

Thai Airways International has cancelled all flights.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010829

LASTEST UPDATE:

On the 5.00pm (GMT) BBC 24 News bulletin it was stated that the government has no plans for evacuation at present.

I do not know if anything else appeared elsewhere earlier: I have noticed some rather contradictory BBC reporting at different times of the day.

My wife told me eariler that this was annouced on Thai TV channel 3 news.

How accuate this report is, I can`t say.

Before anyone starts slagging me off, yes I admit, I should have stated my source eariler on. So I`ll apologise in advance.

Edited by sassienie

Jetstar have cancelled their flight from Melbourne to Bangkok today (Thursday)

I am due to fly to BKK on Tuesday 2nd of December, after phoning them their response was they cannot guarantee my flight and could reroute me to Phuket and then it would be up to me to get myself to Bangkok at my expense.

Breakingnews -The Nation

Civil Court orders protesters to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport immediately

Published on November 26, 2008;November 27, 2008 : Last updated 10:30 pm

The Civil Court Wednesday night issued an injunction, ordering the People's Alliance for Democracy and its supporters to leave the Suvarnabhumi International Airport immediately.

The court agreed with request of the AOT Plc, which filed a suit earlier in the day to seek an urgent injunction against the protesters.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Politics -The Nation

Thailand on world travel warning list

Published on November 27, 2008;Thu, November 27, 2008 : Last updated 0:48 hours

Countries around the globe yesterday issued warnings to their citizens about travelling to Thailand - a country the Philippines said was lacking in "political maturity."

The comment from President Gloria Arroyo's spokesman, Anthony Golez, was prompted by the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport by protesters.

Asked to explain his comments, Golez said "our people have reached a high degree of political maturity whereby [they] respect due process and the rule of law".

China, France, New Zealand, Singapore, Britain, the United States, Australia and Japan warned through their websites of possible danger to their citizens.

The US Embassy advised Americans to stay away from the airport given the potential for violence and civil disobedience.

"American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations," it said.

The airport seizure would damage investment and tourism industry, US Ambassador Eric John said yesterday.

Shutting down the airport for even one day affected a lot of visitors.

If the closure lasted for long, it would stop tourists from visiting Thailand, he said.

The US Embassy has cooperated with Thai authorities to help American visitors trapped inside the Suvarnabhumi terminal, he said.

The Chinese Embassy warned on its website that Chinese citizens planning to visit Thailand should postpone their plans; while France's foreign affairs ministry suggested that French travellers booked to fly through Bangkok make alternative arrangements.

The New Zealand foreign affairs ministry advised stranded travellers to stay with other tourists, remain close to information counters and follow instructions issued by local authorities.

Similarly, Singapore said citizens without "a pressing need to travel" should postpone their trip.

Britain's Foreign Office issued an updated travel advisory telling Britons to keep abreast of a "very uncertain" political situation.

The Japanese foreign ministry urged its nationals to be cautious. In an alert posted on the ministry's website, it said people planning to visit or to stay in Thailand were advised to check flight information well beforehand.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Politics

SUVARNABHUMI CHAOS - The Nation

When our window to world was shut

PAD supporter gives first-hand account of airport seizure

The Suvarnabhumi Airport takeover was largely the work of the Bangkok middle class, a 44-year-old yellow-shirted zealot named Poo told The Nation in the midst of the mayhem yesterday.

Initially, Poo had not given much thought to Chamlong Srimuang's call on Sunday for protesters to bring out their cars. It wasn't until Tuesday, when he joined more than 3,000 cars, that he understood what the key People's Alliance for Democracy leader was saying. The caravan had blocked and effectively shut down Asia's fourth-largest airport.

Normally, Poo would drive his Honda Civic to Government House and park it near Wat Benjamabophit. He would be at the rally until 3 or 4am, dancing in front of the stage every time a band came on. After wearing himself out, he would rush back home in the Taopoon area to catch forty winks before heading for work, and then return to the site again. This daily routine helped him make new friends and share their zeal to bring down the Somchai Wongsawat government.

However, on Monday and Tuesday Poo was one of the many PAD supporters who were lost and confused. They had marched to the Parliament to disrupt legislative function; to the Metropolitan Police Command Centre; to the temporary government seat at Don Mueang Airport; to the Finance Ministry; to the offices of the Chart Thai Party; and even to the Army Command Centre.

Not once did they encounter any police resistance, though there were sporadic bouts of violence between the red shirts and the yellow shirts along the way.

On Tuesday evening, after the rally at the Army Command Centre had dissipated, Poo was told to head for Suvarnabhumi. The PAD was going to shut it down. So, Poo headed for the airport with five other protesters in his car. The PAD had discovered that there were some 3,000 cars at their disposal, so they reasoned that if each car carried five protesters, there would be 15,000 at the airport. At 5pm, Poo raced across Bangkok to get to Suvarna-bhumi. Upon arrival, he saw thousands of vehicles blocking access to terminals. Apparently, the PAD security guards arrived first to subdue the airport security officials, making way for the rest of the yellow shirts.

Poo flashed his lights to signal that he was one of the protesters, and was allowed to join the queue of cars that extended to several kilometres. His car was about 3km away from where the blockade started, and stepping out he saw several thousand fellow protesters rallying outside the terminal - thereby making Suvarnabhumi impassable.

Still the protesters were well provided for - they had access to mobile toilets and were supplied with nourishment in the form of rice and pork. Poo heard the sound of guns being fired, and was warned not to stand too close to the edge of the elevated road in case he too became the target of a random shot.

This firmly shut Thailand's window to the world, catching the government off guard and making the Kingdom's political crisis plunge even deeper.

-The Nation

LaoPo

Politics - The Nation

PM condemns seizing of airport as illegal and threat to democracy

As the People's Alliance for Democracy came under fire for the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport, its rival, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, was defiant despite staring at what was looking increasingly like a dysfunctional government.

Addressing the nation on NBT from Chiang Mai last night, Somchai condemned the seizure of the airport as illegal, undemocratic and a threat to democracy and well-being of the country.

He vowed to convene an urgent Cabinet meeting today to discuss measures to bring the situation back to normal.

"We need to solve the problem. Unarmed gathering is always allowed, but the laws have been broken and armed people have caused damage to national interests," he said.

Somchai's chartered flight from Peru had to be diverted in the last minute to Chiang Mai late yesterday afternoon, and it was unclear how, where and when the scheduled Cabinet meeting will take place today. On top of that, Army chief Anupong Paochinda openly called for a House dissolution to end the damaging stand-off with the PAD.

Just how Somchai can go on running the country with paralysed air services, a defiant Army chief, and Cabinet members and lawmakers constantly on the run from belligerent protesters was the biggest question yesterday.

The Army chief's stand threw the ball back into Somchai's court, after the latter had put pressure on the general by appointing him head of a high-level multi-sector panel to monitor the political crisis. The Anupong panel's call for a House dissolution carried a thinly veiled message: the Army will not use force to dislodge the PAD protesters from Suvarnabhumi.

The Civil Court yesterday evening issued an urgent injunction to evict the protesters from the Suvarnabhumi International Airport. No immediate PAD reaction was available.

Somchai had seen the government's international work disrupted last week when PAD protesters surrounded Parliament and forced postponement of a session that would have addressed some foreign affairs commitments.

The PAD yesterday swarmed into the old Don Mueang Airport, which has been used partly as government headquarters since the movement seized Government House a few months ago, and managed to stop its fledging services as a temporary airport. This meant Cabinet members could not fly from Bangkok to join Somchai in a meeting upcountry.

Government strategists believe if Somchai can survive the next couple of days, great pressure will swing back against the PAD for its airport closure. The movement came under heavy local and international criticism yesterday, but the focus was on how Somchai would manage the crisis.

A violent showdown is feared today between the PAD and the pro-government red-shirt army, which was mobilising its followers to Bangkok yesterday.

Anupong, meanwhile, was ridiculed by both sides after his situation-monitoring panel made a dual call for the government to dissolve the House and the PAD to end its protests.

The panel, which brings together public and private-sector representatives including academics, expected the government to take the first move on the House dissolution, followed by the PAD to completely stop the opposition movement.

The proposal is based on the hope that should the government fail to heed the advice, the bureaucracy might resort to civil disobedience and stop implementing government orders. And in case the PAD fails to end the protests, social sanction will be imposed.

"The country is being affected by this crisis, which involves the government and the PAD," Anupong said. "It is therefore their responsibility to try and solve the conflict. The government should return power to the people and the PAD should end its activities. This is our proposal, not an attempt to put pressure on them."

Suraphol Nitikraipot, Thammasat University rector and a panel member, said he hoped society would come up with its own form of pressure if both sides remained stubborn.

"We think that if the government returns power to the people, the PAD automatically will have to end its campaign," he said.

In his NBT speech last night, Somchai also sternly asked government officials to strictly perform their tasks to help bring the country back to normal.

"My position is not as important as the country's law and order as well as democracy. This is a government elected by the people and we will keep doing our job to the best of our ability," he said.

-The Nation

LaoPo

Politics -The Nation

POLITICAL STAND-OFF

Voice rise against PAD's latest moves

Group decried for 'not thinking about damage'

The latest moves by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have drawn flak from various parties, including the Midnight University.

PAD protesters poured into Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday, forcing the facility to suspend its service.

A group of PAD guards also injured 11 pro-government people two days ago.

"It is clear PAD leaders are bent on causing turmoil in the society so that they can use unconstitutional power as solutions," according to the statement issued by the Midnight University yesterday.

The informal university criticised the PAD for not thinking about the immense negative ramifications of their actions.

"They are bringing Thai society to calamities," it went on.

The Midnight University also blasted prominent social thinker Prawase Wasi, of the National Human Rights Commission, pro-PAD university lecturers and academics, a group of 40 senators, opposition MPs and Thai PBS for supporting PAD activities.

"We call on these people or organisations to take responsibility for damages caused by the PAD," the university added.

Gothom Arya, who chairs the Second National Economic and Social Advisory Council, also disagreed with the PAD decision to close down Suvarnabhumi.

"This act has caused serious damage to the country. It has also intensified ongoing conflicts," he said.

Gothom said as long as parties in the conflicts would not turn to each other and begin negotiations, there would be no solution in sight.

In a related development, the Union for Civil Liberty (UCL) urged the PAD to ensure that its rallies were peaceful and to respect the judicial system.

The UCL also suggested that the government urgently start negotiations with the PAD to end ongoing conflicts.

"If the government is unable to end the conflict within a short time, it should dissolve the Parliament," the UCL said in its statement.

Following the suggestions made yesterday by Army commander-|in-chief General Anupong Paochinda, as chairman of the "situation monitoring panel" - that the government should dissolve the House and the PAD should end the protests immediately - academics threw their support to the non-violent approach.

Pirom Kamolratanakul, the |president of Chulalongkorn University, who was among the seven or eight rectors who joined the panel's emergency meeting yesterday, said that the panel did not call on the government to resign because they didn't want the government to lose face.

"I don't expect that the whole political situation will end immediately but I want both sides to sacrifice for the country," Pirom said.Thai Chamber of Commerce University president Jiradech Usawad, as president of the Thai Private University Association, said that the panel's announcement yesterday was "the most gentle attempt" to solve the problem. He urged the two sides to each step back one step. He said the Thai army had the clear stance of being on the Thai people's side, which was the best solution without a coup or violence.

-The Nation

LaoPo

anyway back to business. I've just phoned ebookers with regards to my flight on friday. Here are the options for Etihad on a flight from Manchester to Bangkok on friday.

option 1. Take the flight to abu dhabi and take the option to fly to singapore, kuala lumpar (sp) or jakarta but you will have to pay the extra if you choose those destinations!!!! this from an airline that has won many awards in 2008 seems a bit cheapskate to me.

option2 change your flight date for any journey manchester to bangkok return taken in december for no extra charge, now we are talking :o hello xmas here i come, best find a flight suitable first but am happy with that.

This is from the Straits Times website... About half way down the article are quotes and statistics that should shivers down the spines of Thai businesspeople - those in travel, retail in particular.

Meanwhile, Singapore and KL airports, hoteliers and retailers are delighted by the antics of the PAD thugs and rabble...

HUNDREDS of Bangkok-bound travellers showed up at Changi Airport yesterday morning but never got to board their planes.

All 19 flights scheduled to depart for the Thai capital from 7.10am to 10.35pm were cancelled, a day after anti-government protesters stormed the main terminal of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, shutting it down.

Flights cancelled

STUCK IN PATTAYA

'After an 11-hour flight, we had to wait another three to four hours to get our luggage, because the airline had no ground crew in Pattaya. We are really not sure when we are flying back to Singapore.

... more

With no indication yet of when normal operations would resume, carriers operating between the two cities - Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific, Tiger Airways, Jetstar Asia and Thai AirAsia - are advising customers to track developments to flight schedules online.

At Terminal 1 at 6am, more than a hundred travellers were waiting to catch their flights on Jetstar and Thai Airways. Many were ignorant of the situation in Bangkok. Lamented civil engineer Annalingam Selvakumar, 43, who had planned a six-day holiday with his family: 'We did not watch the news last night. We are disappointed but have no choice.'

Jetstar's commercial head Raphael Saw said 40 per cent of those booked on the 7.15am flight had turned up.

At the Thai Airways counter, people were still being checked in for the 8.10am flight. There was some confusion and unhappiness when travellers were told the flight had been delayed till 11am, only to be told later that it had been cancelled.

Among them were secondary school teacher Tanveer Khan, 33, and his 17-year-old sister Jumanah, who were on their way to Dhaka via Bangkok. Refusing to abort their trip, they left last night on a non-stop SIA flight to Bangladesh.

Other travellers, like Mrs Connie Cheong, 51, who was all geared to shop till she dropped with her husband and two teenage girls, changed their minds. The administrative officer and her family will go to Kuala Lumpur by bus instead.

Because of the uncertain conditions, airlines said travellers who choose to cancel their bookings will receive full refunds. Passengers may postpone their flights or opt for another destination and pay the difference in fares or fees.

While Singapore residents went home, airlines did what they could for transit passengers. Ms Akira Rotjanawongchai, 35, an Australian citizen en route from Adelaide, said SIA arranged for her party to stay the night at the Elizabeth Hotel.

Customers with forward bookings have been calling their travel agents to cancel or postpone them.

Chan Brothers, which has 20 people due to leave for Bangkok this week, advised customers to change their plans.

Political instability in the Thai capital in recent months has seen fewer Singaporeans heading there, say travel agents, warning that a prolonged crisis would seriously hurt Bangkok's tourism industry.

The Singapore-Bangkok air route is one of the busiest out of Changi. In the first 10 months of the year, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore recorded 2.29 million passenger movements between the two cities.

Breakingnews -The Nation

AIRPORT CLOSURE

AirAsia cancels 58 more flights

Published on November 26, 2008;

AirAsia will cancel 58 more flights, due to leave Bangkok tomorrow for domestic and overseas destinations.

In a statement, the airliner said the cancellation of flights until 2pm of Thursday would affect 36 domestic flights and 22 international flights.

On Wednesday, the airline cancelled more than 100 flights.

Some anti-government protesters have gathered in front of the domestic terminal at Don Mueang Airport, amid speculation they would siege the facility to add more pressure on the government.

Some 18 incoming flights were diverted to the airport as Suvarnabhumi Airport was besieged.

Thai PBS reported at midnight that Patee Sarasin, CEO of Nok Air, asked the protesters to spare the company's flights particularly those that cover the Southern region. He said many southern Muslims must leave Thailand for the Haj.

Nok Air's flight is scheduled to leave Don Mueang at 6am on Thursday.

The TV channel said a protester leader agreed not to block Nok Air's operations.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Does anyone know what happens to cancelled air asia flights? We are due to fly with them on Sunday to Phnom Penh. I find no information on their website. Do we get our money returned or new flights? Problem with a new date is that I will have overstayed my limit. Reason for journey is to get a tourist visa,

Any info would be welcome.

Tony

Breakingnews - The Nation

Don Mueang Airport closed

Published on November 27, 2008;November 27, 2008 : Last updated 06:38 am

The services at the Don Mueang Airport were stopped since midnight Wednesday after the People's Alliance for Democracy seized control of the domestic passenger terminal.

Channel 9 reported that all passenger services at the Don Mueang Airport were stopped after the last flight left the airport at midnight.

- The Nation

LaoPo

LASTEST UPDATE:

those who were stuck on tuesday or anyone who wants to leave?

each day it stays closed the numbers are racking up.

I spoke with a friend last night who is a physician at Bumrungrad. They were urgently awaiting some sort of perishable chemotherapy medicines that were couriered from the USA day before yesterday. Needless to say, it won't be arriving and his patient lies dying in hospital.

This is going far beyond loss of tourists and failing businesses when seriously sick people begin dying because of PAD's actions.

Does anyone know what happens to cancelled air asia flights? We are due to fly with them on Sunday to Phnom Penh. I find no information on their website. Do we get our money returned or new flights? Problem with a new date is that I will have overstayed my limit. Reason for journey is to get a tourist visa,

Any info would be welcome.

Tony

They will do either. Call them on 025159999 to arrange. I got a refund and am jumping on a bus to Cambodia tomorrow. Would have changed the flights but not convenient to fly next month. I doubt the airport will charge you an overstay fee if you are a few days over given the circumstances. I imagine Cambodia will although I will be printing out my air ticket and trying to avoid paying it.

I would have thought you'd be alright by Sunday anyway, but who knows I guess

Edited by lennois

Breakingnews

PAD ignores court order, vowing to continue occupation of Suvarnabhumi

Published on November 27, 2008

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy vowed to continue to occupy the Suvarnabhumi International Airport despite an injunction of the Civil Court for protesters to move out immediately.

Sirichai Maingarm, a PAD leader, told TNN cable station Thursday morning that the PAD would appeal against the court order in the afternoon.

Sirichai said the PAD did not prevent the operations of the airport but the airport halted the operations on its own.

He said the PAD would continue to occupy the airport until the government resigns.

-The Nation

LaoPo :o

Breakingnews

PAD ignores court order, vowing to continue occupation of Suvarnabhumi

Published on November 27, 2008

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy vowed to continue to occupy the Suvarnabhumi International Airport despite an injunction of the Civil Court for protesters to move out immediately.

Sirichai Maingarm, a PAD leader, told TNN cable station Thursday morning that the PAD would appeal against the court order in the afternoon.

Sirichai said the PAD did not prevent the operations of the airport but the airport halted the operations on its own.

He said the PAD would continue to occupy the airport until the government resigns.

-The Nation

LaoPo :o

Now, there is a ground for the police to go and kick them out.....